Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yes, the "Cap"
The Sens operations bring in a positive $ stream and could spend to the cap if the owner hadn't chosen to saddle the asset with a ridiculous debt load.

If he spent to the cap and showed a willingness to compete, then people would be far more willing to buy tickets (season and game day).

The owner is the one who needs to change his business practices or sell to someone who will.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Did I read the last few pages in several threads correctly?

BR says he felt that a deal was close and that he and EK were gonners. No confirmation came from agent, or anywhere else mentioned.

HFSens decided: PD tried to accept a deal that involved EK at the TDL, that was devalued by including BR, but the other GM pulled out last minute making PD look like a chump.

But the next day we hear from BM that there wasn't actually a close deal, and that BR was mistaken.

Can anyone see how awesome the freak out around here is between bits of information. I know, I know, folks will post about how this is a message board and that's what it's for. To me, I see a bunch of people spouting a ton of anger and hatred towards management, based on their own personal speculation, and then when more information comes to light indicating they were wrong (as usual) they play it off and move on.

I can't abide by folks running their mouths and not having to be accountable for it. It's one of the evils of the message board in my opinion. I mean, you were wrong and you said some pretty harsh things, apologize, have some integrity, and get back at it.

It's not what people say necessary, it's how they say it, and what they do (or not do) when shown to be wrong that is a problem around here.

PD deserves an apology from the same dozen posters for this non-issue. Who's gonna step up and admit to being wrong just this once?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Of course you would see it that way. I see it as our owner being a cheap ass mother****er as the reason we almost lost and will lose Karlsson.
He is but there is no way Melnyk entertains trading Karlsson if Ryan's contract wasn't so bad. For the health of the business getting rid of just Ryan would be ideal. Now, are we better off in the long run trading away Ryan and Karlsson and save around 18 Million on 2 players and potentially get a deeper roster or Have Ryan's contract be a 7.5 million dollar hit for the next 4 seasons and still trying to build a great roster? So far having the 2 and trying to build has gone terribly wrong. Ideally you would just buy out Ryan and move forward but Ryan's contract is structured in a way that we will not save very much. I was proposing to give Colin White to a team who would take Ryan and some around here thought that was crazy and Ottawa shouldn't. Now we might have to lose Karlsson to make it happen.

The article was pointless. All it did was confirm what was being reported 2 weeks ago. We all know Ryan hasn't lived up to the contract and now we know he does too.

As Much as Melnyk is cheap this has been a poorly managed team. We were never 1 player away from being a cup contender but had enough cap space for a 6-7 million dollar player. That's not Melnyk's fault. We could have been in the same position and be a cap team still. To Melnyk's credit he did resign players when their contract were due. It just got to a point were those players had maxed out their potential and resigning them again would most likely result in a drop production. He cut his losses a bit early on Turris but added Duchene who is a better player.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

BR says he felt that a deal was close and that he and EK were gonners. No confirmation came from agent, or anywhere else mentioned.

HFSens decided: PD tried to accept a deal that involved EK at the TDL, that was devalued by including BR, but the other GM pulled out last minute making PD look like a chump.

But the next day we hear from BM that there wasn't actually a close deal, and that BR was mistaken.

Can anyone see how awesome the freak out around here is between bits of information. I know, I know, folks will post about how this is a message board and that's what it's for. To me, I see a bunch of people spouting a ton of anger and hatred towards management, based on their own personal speculation, and then when more information comes to light indicating they were wrong (as usual) they play it off and move on.

I can't abide by folks running their mouths and not having to be accountable for it. It's one of the evils of the message board in my opinion. I mean, you were wrong and you said some pretty harsh things, apologize, have some integrity, and get back at it.

It's not what people say necessary, it's how they say it, and what they do (or not do) when shown to be wrong that is a problem around here.

PD deserves an apology from the same dozen posters for this non-issue. Who's gonna step up and admit to being wrong just this once?

Or the plan was to trade Ryan and Karlsson with assurances Karlsson would extend and he wouldn't commit because his and the teams plan were to just find a way to get rid of Ryan's contract and bring Karlsson back after a season.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

what were people wrong about with Dorion?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Well, Murray shares that blame with Melnyk, IMO.
Absolutely. Like I said before though, we were never 1 player away from being a contender but only ever had the cap for 1. Murray chose the wrong season(2011) to go out and acquire draft picks to replenish the farm. That;s on him. Season after season since this tean has been very inconsistent and eventually led Melnyk to blow himself up.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The Sens operations bring in a positive $ stream and could spend to the cap if the owner hadn't chosen to saddle the asset with a ridiculous debt load.

If he spent to the cap and showed a willingness to compete, then people would be far more willing to buy tickets (season and game day).

The owner is the one who needs to change his business practices or sell to someone who will.

What were the other choices?

If there was no other choice, then what do you recommend?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The article was pointless. All it did was confirm what was being reported 2 weeks ago. We all know Ryan hasn't lived up to the contract and now we know he does too.

What was being reported (2 weeks ago) were all kinds of rumours, and now we know that Bobby Ryan heard and read some of the rumours that never became a fact.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Or the plan was to trade Ryan and Karlsson with assurances Karlsson would extend and he wouldn't commit because his and the teams plan were to just find a way to get rid of Ryan's contract and bring Karlsson back after a season.

This is 100% BS, as the CBA does not allow anyone to talk about extensions to existing contracts, with a player, until they're in the last year of their contract.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sell off other assets and pay down the debt on this one.

He had choices and chose to use the Sens as a piggy bank.

So are you saying that if I had a Mortgage payment, and owned a car, I should sell my car to pay down the principle on my mortgage?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sell off other assets and pay down the debt on this one.

He had choices and chose to use the Sens as a piggy bank.
we'v been thru this Sensung. There is no piggy bank here. But even if there was paying out money to prop up other businesses doesn't make rational sense

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This is 100% BS, as the CBA does not allow anyone to talk about extensions to existing contracts, with a player, until they're in the last year of their contract.

The CBA didn't allow players to talk to teams before noon on July 1st for UFA, but that didn't stop multiple All-Star caliber players from signing multiple year, ultra-complicated, bonus-laden contracts at 12:01 every single July 1st for decades.

Surely, you can't be that naive.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
we'v been thru this Sensung. There is no piggy bank here. But even if there was paying out money to prop up other businesses doesn't make rational sense
Melnyk owes more on the team now than when he bought it.

He had other assets he could have sold to address the initial debt, but instead he chose to borrow against the increasing value of his asset.

The franchise generates a positive revenue stream, but is floundering in debt.

Why should fans be forced to pay for his poor choices?

If he can't afford to run the team properly, then he should cash in his chips and take his profits.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The CBA didn't allow players to talk to teams before noon on July 1st for UFA, but that didn't stop multiple All-Star caliber players from signing multiple year, ultra-complicated, bonus-laden contracts at 12:01 every single July 1st for decades.

Surely, you can't be that naive.

Yeah, good luck proving that type of thing. Extremely difficult.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Wow, is there some evidence of this or did you just take the speculation to the next next level.

I suppose I should just sit back and enjoy the only place on the planet (of course it has to be virtual) where people quadruple and sextuple down on their personal BS conspiracy theories instead of accepting the likely truth of things sitting right in front of them.

This is truly a miraculous place.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Wow, is there some evidence of this or did you just take the speculation to the next next level.

I suppose I should just sit back and enjoy the only place on the planet (of course it has to be virtual) where people quadruple and sextuple down on their personal BS conspiracy theories instead of accepting the likely truth of things sitting right in front of them.

Psst. I think he was joking.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What was being reported (2 weeks ago) were all kinds of rumours, and now we know that Bobby Ryan heard and read some of the rumours that never became a fact.

The rumours were mostly about teams in trade discussions, so unless you're Dorion, I'm pretty sure you have no evidence as to whether or not they became fact. The absence of a trade is not proof a trade was never discussed, nor is it evidence that a trade wasn't very close from happening. All we know is that Karlsson and Ryan were not traded.

This is a bit like if a tree falls and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound,

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

The first part of that statement makes a lot of sense. It was just a thought why a deal would of fell through at the last moment if it were true. The part with Erik coming back was wishful thinking.

Your opinion of what is a "likely truth of things" is BS too because it's not a fact.

P.S. you should sit back and virtually sextuple all of the conspiracy theorists personally and enjoy accepting the likely truth sitting right on the planet.

:wg:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad