Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don’t like the fact that Ryan is leaking this failed trade, to be it stays in house and he shouldn’t be speaking for Karlsson - but I’m not surprised, Ryan’s hasn’t put in the effort to make the team better and comments like this show how he’s not fully invested or respectful of he team ir management.

If you aren’t going to play like the highest paid player, at least keep your mouth shut

Reactions: Silencio

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don’t like the fact that Ryan is leaking this failed trade, to be it stays in house and he shouldn’t be speaking for Karlsson - but I’m not surprised, Ryan’s hasn’t put in the effort to make the team better and comments like this show how he’s not fully invested or respectful of he team ir management.

If you aren’t going to play like the highest paid player, at least keep your mouth shut

I disagree. He never said anything bad about the organization. He spoke from his perspective. He was part of a deal that involved Karlsson and that was being reported. I respect the truth and candidness far more than clouding what was going on with rainbows and unicorns to appease everyone.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Why are people so up in arms that Karlsson was being talked about in trades? It's part of the business. When you factor in that we have a cheap ass f***ing owner it only makes sense. Come to realize that this franchise is f***ed with a penny pincher of an owner and buffoons that run player management

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I disagree. He never said anything bad about the organization. He spoke from his perspective. He was part of a deal that involved Karlsson and that was being reported. I respect the truth and candidness far more than clouding what was going on with rainbows and unicorns to appease everyone.

I agree with this statement. At least someone is talking, the fact that Dorion and Melnyk have been in hibernation since December doesn't help the fans perception of what is really going on here.

Reactions: bert

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I wonder what the Montreal Canadiens are going to do, this off-season, to improve their team??

Fire the GM?

Maybe they're going to trade Carey Price, before his new contract kicks in?

What about their Captain, Max Pacioretty, who'll be an UFA in 2019? Perhaps he's done in the eyes of the GM, and he'll be shipped out at this draft, to move up in the 1st round?

I wish the Canadiens would just let everyone know, exactly what their plans are so that all the other GMs would know, and thereby be able to take full advantage of them, and target their weaknesses once they've revealed their plans to the world.

Reactions: aragorn

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

Maybe Ryan needs to be a little bit more humble like Drew Doughty.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I wonder what the Montreal Canadiens are going to do, this off-season, to improve their team??

Fire the GM?

What about their Captain, Max Pacioretty, who'll be an UFA in 2019? Perhaps he's done in the eyes of the GM, and he'll be shipped out at this draft, to move up in the 1st round?

I wish the Canadiens would just let everyone know, exactly what their plans are so that all the other GMs would know, and thereby be able to take full advantage of them, and target their weaknesses once they've revealed their plans to the world.

Perhaps you are right. However, with the Habs I think it is just that they do not have a plan.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Honestly, so much the better. He can gtfo. His fate was already sealed before those comments, I'm glad he's sealing those chances even more.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Fire the GM?

So trading their best player/players to get younger and cheaper......I think they stole our plan....Hense the plan is the same plan everybody else has

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So trading their best player/players to get younger and cheaper......I think they stole our plan....Hense the plan is the same plan everybody else has

The point being is that it would ludicrous to expect Dorion to lay out his "plan" for all to see, and take advantage of. Why would he put himself as such a disadvantage?

Pretty sure all GM's keep their cards face down when they're looking for trading partners, and only shows them when the other GM shows theirs.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion: I am listening to offers for Karlsson
Chia: How does Draisaitl, a 2018 first , and a 2019 first sound?
Dorion: I'd like you to take Bobby Ryan
Chia: How about RNH and a 2019 first then?

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The point being is that it would ludicrous to expect Dorion to lay out his "plan" for all to see, and take advantage of. Why would he put himself as such a disadvantage?

Pretty sure all GM's keep their cards face down when they're looking for trading partners, and only shows them when the other GM shows theirs.
Yep but the plan is so obvious other gm,s will be calling his bluff ....We have painted ourselves into a corner with a bad hand ,and teams will up their bets against us...

Now that the poker stuff is out of the way,the only reason we are in this mess to begin with.. Is the owner being unmoveable when it comes to actually spending money .To prevent this from always being the main priority in any hockey deal,and us having to scramble to make everything fit into a budget

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Now that the poker stuff is out of the way,the only reason we are in this mess to begin with.. Is the owner being unmoveable when it comes to actually spending money .To prevent this from always being the main priority in any hockey deal,and us having to scramble to make everything fit into a budget

The second we demanded that Ryan be included in the deal was the second opposing GMs realized where our true priorities are, and that we can be taken advantage of as long as they can help us save a buck.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The second we demanded that Ryan be included in the deal was the second opposing GMs realized where our true priorities are, and that we can be taken advantage of as long as they can help us save a buck.
Yep been that way for as long as i have been with you guys on this site,the damage bad ownership can bring ...Our proud team drug through the mud to save a buck...Yet EM gets a chance at billions thanks to us supporting the team right into a downtown arena

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Why are people so up in arms that Karlsson was being talked about in trades? It's part of the business. When you factor in that we have a cheap ass ****ing owner it only makes sense. Come to realize that this franchise is ****ed with a penny pincher of an owner and buffoons that run player management
It didn't have to be so public. That's the issue. When Arizona's GM was asked about OEL he simply said he's not for sale and wouldn't be listening to offers. That's all Dorion had to say to the media whole sorting out the leaks. He's already saying one thing and doing the other in many other areas, do it here so we're not burning bridges with Karlsson. Doesn't seem that complicated. Every other GM seems to manage to do it.

Can't recall any kind of media circus around the likes of Hall or Seguin or Kessel when they were traded.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yep but the plan is so obvious other gm,s will be calling his bluff ....We have painted ourselves into a corner with a bad hand ,and teams will up their bets against us...

Well at some point in the last number of years, the Owner decided that he wanted the Senators Franchise to generate enough revenue to meet it's expenses ......... for whatever reason, and whether or not that is the fan's choice for how to run a Franchise, it's not their choice, it's his.

Is it the ideal choice for fans?

No, they want and owner with bottomless pockets that will spend to the Cap, bury expensive contracts in the minors, buyout every player they don't like, hire and have the largest management team in the league.

Is that practical for a small Canadian market team, that faces some unique challenges (government town, location on city limits, plunging Canadian dollar), I would say it is not.

I want the Senators to have success in the regular season, and the playoffs.......... and I think I understand the limits ownership has to do this, in the Ottawa Gatineau market, and have positive feeling about Senators for the long term, in regards to moving to Lebreton flats, and right now, hate the owner or not, he's shown that his long term plan to help the Senators become much more viable in the future, with the plan to move to Lebreton.

Reactions: Xspyrit and aragorn

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It didn't have to be so public. That's the issue. When Arizona's GM was asked about OEL he simply said he's not for sale and wouldn't be listening to offers. That's all Dorion had to say to the media whole sorting out the leaks. He's already saying one thing and doing the other in many other areas, do it here so we're not burning bridges with Karlsson. Doesn't seem that complicated. Every other GM seems to manage to do it.

Can't recall any kind of media circus around the likes of Hall or Seguin or Kessel when they were traded.
Yea that's why I called our GM a buffoon. I mean he refers to him in third person..

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well at some point in the last number of years, the Owner decided that he wanted the Senators Franchise to generate enough revenue to meet it's expenses ......... for whatever reason, and whether or not that is the fan's choice for how to run a Franchise, it's not their choice, it's his.

No, they want and owner with bottomless pockets that will spend to the Cap, bury expensive contracts in the minors, buyout every player they don't like, hire and have the largest management team in the league.

Is that practical for a small Canadian market team, that faces some unique challenges (government town, location on city limits, plunging Canadian dollar), I would say it is not.

I want the Senators to have success in the regular season, and the playoffs.......... and I think I understand the limits ownership has to do this, in the Ottawa Gatineau market, and have positive feeling about Senators for the long term, in regards to moving to Lebreton flats, and right now, hate the owner or not, he's shown that his long term plan to help the Senators become much more viable in the future, with the plan to move to Lebreton.
Nobody is claiming to want this...But how about not having to dumpster dive ,on every coaching hire???Or maybe hiring some experenced hockey management personnel ,to add to the total amount of zero we now have...

Or maybe not selling picks to move unmoveable 1 million dollar deals..Hello HAMMOND !!!Or how about not selling picks for teams to pick up bonus money ,the 2nd in the Zibby deal

Maybe trying to understand that having to bury/buy out a contract is inevitable,in a contact sport with a salary cap,which we have never done...What you have stated is the extreme,what I have stated is the truth,HOCKEY IS A MUTIBILLION DOLLAR BUISNESS,Our owner wants to play with nickles,and expects us to make him billions...

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

That is what the salary cap is for. Teams like Toronto and New York could spend way more than the cap if they were allowed. Smaller teams like Ottawa can compete thanks to the cap. However, if the owner doesn't spend to put out a quality team, the owner will lose out on valuable playoff revenue.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
God I hope our plan isn't to just buy out Ryan, it makes no sense when you break down the numbers.
At this point we just need to keep him and hope he develops more trade value,or becomes a much more reasonable buyout

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer

I fundamentally disagree with this.

This is admittedly all speculation, but I don't think it's any more so than any other post on this topic, just in the opposite direction.

PD saw himself with the most leverage he will ever have and pushed it.

He knew he didn't *have* to sell EK. He knew he was also trading away any chance to re-sign EK. He knew demand for the asset would be uniquely huge - a generational talent on a very team friendly contract for 15 more months, and exclusive rights to extend him starting in three months. So he basically said "How bad do you want him? Bad enough to take Ryan as well?" Turns out no one did.

The fact that there was no sale tells me that no one was willing to meet the price, not that PD got cold feet. I know GMGM has said he had an offer on the table. To me, that's him telling PD his final offer and PD saying "Let me think about it and I'll get back to you."

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Fire the GM?

Doubt Price goes away, but Pacioretty is gone for sure.

Bergervin should be fired, but will he be? I think Montreal fans would be very happy if he was.

Big off season for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->