Bob

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I think he does it soon after the trade deadline. The longer he plays the better he looks and therefore the more we have to pay him. I think it is going to be an interesting negotiation as the blue jackets will want a bridge contract to see if Bob is a true number one and avoid a mason style fiasco. In contrast a few more wins performances like he's had in march and Bob is gonna be the favorite to win the Vezina.

I think we're gonna see a two year 3.5 million+ deal. I think that the Front office will pay more to get the term they want.

I agree with this and this was the same deal as what Dubnyk got from Edmonton.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think he does it soon after the trade deadline. The longer he plays the better he looks and therefore the more we have to pay him. I think it is going to be an interesting negotiation as the blue jackets will want a bridge contract to see if Bob is a true number one and avoid a mason style fiasco. In contrast a few more wins performances like he's had in march and Bob is gonna be the favorite to win the Vezina.

I think we're gonna see a two year 3.5 million+ deal. I think that the Front office will pay more to get the term they want.

I hope so, but that number could get pushed much higher. What do we do if he finishes as Vezina favorite, then asks for closer to $5 million? His default option is $$ KHL. Our default option is ???

If pressed, what is the salary at which you decide to let Bob walk? It's much higher than we're contemplating and Bob and his agent know that.

A bigger contract risks a "Mason style fiasco" if Bob implodes, but IMO the "Mason style fiasco" is mostly a problem of a bad goalie, and less so the problem of a few million out the window. We are going to have to pay #1 goalie money to a goalie who might not remain a #1, but to some degree that is what every team has to do. Goalies will be goalies.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
I hope so, but that number could get pushed much higher. What do we do if he finishes as Vezina favorite, then asks for closer to $5 million? His default option is $$ KHL. Our default option is ???

If pressed, what is the salary at which you decide to let Bob walk? It's much higher than we're contemplating and Bob and his agent know that.

A bigger contract risks a "Mason style fiasco" if Bob implodes, but IMO the "Mason style fiasco" is mostly a problem of a bad goalie, and less so the problem of a few million out the window. We are going to have to pay #1 goalie money to a goalie who might not remain a #1, but to some degree that is what every team has to do. Goalies will be goalies.

Stop it with your common sense. He'll sign for $3 million and he's gonna like it!

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Is Bobs the starter for Russia in Sochi?

There are four Russian goalies in the NHL: Bobs, Bryzgalov Varlamov and Khabibulin.

I know Philly plays no defense but Bryz is wildly inconsistent and he ranks near the bottom of the two key goalie stats.

Varlamov's numbers are even worse and he seems to be regressing.

Khabibulin is 40 and played only six games this season...he's toast.

I don't know who the Russians have in the KHL that might be considered but seems to a starting goalie in the Olympics might come from the CBJ. I know there is plenty of time between now and next February but he has to be on the short list...right?

Kinda weird since four years ago I figured it would be Mason :shakehead

Coil

Aug 8, 2011
Helsinki
Nothing dictates that the Russian starter should be from the NHL. There are many good Russian goalies in the KHL, for instance Konstantin Barulin.

Don't really know how the Russian goalie speculation for 2014 is on the CBJ board though.

Besides, what about Khudobin? Nabokov? They're Russians as far as I am aware.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Don't really know how the Russian goalie speculation for 2014 is on the CBJ board though.

Since Bobs is the CBJ goalie, I thought this related to CBJ discussion. Forgive me.

As far as Russian goalies in the KHL, I guess I figured if they were really good they might already be in the NHL. I am under the impression the KHL is still playing at the AHL level.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Since Bobs is the CBJ goalie, I thought this related to CBJ discussion. Forgive me.

As far as Russian goalies in the KHL, I guess I figured if they were really good they might already be in the NHL. I am under the impression the KHL is still playing at the AHL level.

I wouldn't dismiss them. Not everyone wants to play in the NHL. Columbus owns the rights to the KHL scoring leader (Sergei Mozyakin) and he has no intentions of ever leaving Russia to play in the NHL.

On the goalie front, Barulin, Stanislav Galimov, and Rastaslav Stana all put up better numbers in the KHL than Bob did this season.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site

KHL is much better than the old RSL was. It might be the second best league in the world right now.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Bob has chance but I think Varlamov is ahead of him. He was excellent last WC's and Russians count those high.

You can't do number scouting on Varlamov. That D is the worst in the league. And under the worst coach.

KHL is much better than the old RSL was. It might be the second best league in the world right now.

There is no 'might' in it.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There are four Russian goalies in the NHL: Bobs, Bryzgalov Varlamov and Khabibulin.

I know Philly plays no defense but Bryz is wildly inconsistent and he ranks near the bottom of the two key goalie stats.

Varlamov's numbers are even worse and he seems to be regressing.

Khabibulin is 40 and played only six games this season...he's toast.

I don't know who the Russians have in the KHL that might be considered but seems to a starting goalie in the Olympics might come from the CBJ. I know there is plenty of time between now and next February but he has to be on the short list...right?

Kinda weird since four years ago I figured it would be Mason :shakehead

Please do some research before posting.

There are 6 russian goalies in the NHL.

Bob, Bryz, Nabokov, Varlamov and Khudobin.

Bryz isn't inconsistent. Watch some games.

Varlamov is progressing. Again watch some games instead reading the stats columns. Varlamov is the no.1 on the depth chart for now.

For now Bob is clearly behind Varlamov. And there is Barulin ahead of him. Don't forget Olympics will be played on big ice too. Also you have to wonder what the thoughts of the coaching staff of the NT are on Nabokov. He couldn't stop a beachball in the KHL but is doing well with the NYI. Khudobin has a future too, but being a backup for now puts him behind all of the above of course.

Bob needs to keep up his play and he will be between 2 and 3 on the depth chart.

P.S. Some stats. Right now in the top 5 in shots against this season in the NHL there are 3 russian goalies(No Bob. Props to CBJ defence. They are not hanging him out to dry.). Figures they are on some of the defensively weakest teams in the league.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Please do some research before posting.

There are 6 russian goalies in the NHL.

Bob, Bryz, Nabokov, Varlamov and Khudobin.

Bryz isn't inconsistent. Watch some games.

Varlamov is progressing. Again watch some games instead reading the stats columns. Varlamov is the no.1 on the depth chart for now.

For now Bob is clearly behind Varlamov. And there is Barulin ahead of him. Don't forget Olympics will be played on big ice too. Also you have to wonder what the thoughts of the coaching staff of the NT are on Nabokov. He couldn't stop a beachball in the KHL but is doing well with the NYI. Khudobin has a future too, but being a backup for now puts him behind all of the above of course.

Bob needs to keep up his play and he will be between 2 and 3 on the depth chart.

P.S. Some stats. Right now in the top 5 in shots against this season in the NHL there are 3 russian goalies(No Bob. Props to CBJ defence. They are not hanging him out to dry.). Figures they are on some of the defensively weakest teams in the league.

Nabokov wasn't allowed to play for Russia in the 2002 Olympics because he already played for Kazakhstan, but since they've allowed him to play for Russia.

I'm not going to guess who the Russians will pick, but if Bob keeps this up I will argue that it would be madness not to have him as the #1. Barulin has a .945 save percentage in the KHL, which would be exciting if Curtis Sanford didn't have a .944. And Varlamov is a really good goalie who has played at a high level for a bit longer than Bob, but he hasn't been as dominant even when you adjust for the Avs shoddy defence. I say that Bob should be the starter even while thinking of Varlamov as terribly underrated.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
What size ice surface for the Olympics in Sochi? If it is the bigger ice, I would go with a KHL goalie since I think the goalies would have the hardest time adjusting in a short tournament situation.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
What size ice surface for the Olympics in Sochi? If it is the bigger ice, I would go with a KHL goalie since I think the goalies would have the hardest time adjusting in a short tournament situation.

Before coming to Columbus though, Bob had some success in the KHL during the lockout

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Before coming to Columbus though, Bob had some success in the KHL during the lockout

As did Varlamov during tha last WC. Russian goalies all start to learn and play on the big sized rinks so it's not as much an adjustment as for NA goalies probably.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Nabokov wasn't allowed to play for Russia in the 2002 Olympics because he already played for Kazakhstan, but since they've allowed him to play for Russia.

I'm not going to guess who the Russians will pick, but if Bob keeps this up I will argue that it would be madness not to have him as the #1. Barulin has a .945 save percentage in the KHL, which would be exciting if Curtis Sanford didn't have a .944. And Varlamov is a really good goalie who has played at a high level for a bit longer than Bob, but he hasn't been as dominant even when you adjust for the Avs shoddy defence. I say that Bob should be the starter even while thinking of Varlamov as terribly underrated.

I have to correct you:

Barulin 0,940 SV% 1,95 GAA in 43 games played

Bob 0,932 SV% 1,94 GAA in 24 games played

Sanford 0,927 SV% 2,25 GAA in 24 games played

Varlamov on the same team as Sanford 0,946 SV% 1,74 GAA in 16 games.

Lokomotiv was the CBJ of the KHL this reg. season. Grinding out the 1:0 and 2:1 wins. Guess who played for them? Anisimov.

During the lockout Varlamov was the KHL's best goaltender. That's a fact.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad