Bob

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Please do some research before posting.

There are 6 russian goalies in the NHL.

Bob, Bryz, Nabokov, Varlamov and Khudobin.

Bryz isn't inconsistent. Watch some games.

Varlamov is progressing. Again watch some games instead reading the stats columns. Varlamov is the no.1 on the depth chart for now.

For now Bob is clearly behind Varlamov. And there is Barulin ahead of him. Don't forget Olympics will be played on big ice too. Also you have to wonder what the thoughts of the coaching staff of the NT are on Nabokov. He couldn't stop a beachball in the KHL but is doing well with the NYI. Khudobin has a future too, but being a backup for now puts him behind all of the above of course.

Bob needs to keep up his play and he will be between 2 and 3 on the depth chart.

P.S. Some stats. Right now in the top 5 in shots against this season in the NHL there are 3 russian goalies(No Bob. Props to CBJ defence. They are not hanging him out to dry.). Figures they are on some of the defensively weakest teams in the league.

Borovsky was one of the best in KHL this year as well. If he kept playing for SKA, I bet they've already been in the final.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I have to correct you:

Barulin 0,940 SV% 1,95 GAA in 43 games played

Bob 0,932 SV% 1,94 GAA in 24 games played

Sanford 0,927 SV% 2,25 GAA in 24 games played

Varlamov on the same team as Sanford 0,946 SV% 1,74 GAA in 16 games.

Lokomotiv was the CBJ of the KHL this reg. season. Grinding out the 1:0 and 2:1 wins. Guess who played for them? Anisimov.

During the lockout Varlamov was the KHL's best goaltender. That's a fact.

I'd be a fool to argue with a KHL nut on Russian goalies, but this is where I'm getting my stats. Is the KHL English site not reliable when it comes to that stuff?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'd be a fool to argue with a KHL nut on Russian goalies, but this is where I'm getting my stats. Is the KHL English site not reliable when it comes to that stuff?

These are playoffs stats you have there. Yes, Sanford has that SV% in 6 games against one team in a series they(Sanford and Lokomotiv) lost. You can even guess by the stats why they lost the series despite the SV% and GAA by Sanford. Got outplayed by the other team's goalie.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
These are playoffs stats you have there. Yes, Sanford has that SV% in 6 games against one team in a series they(Sanford and Lokomotiv) lost. You can even guess by the stats why they lost the series despite the SV% and GAA by Sanford. Got outplayed by the other team's goalie.

Whoops! That explains it.

SgtJoseph*

Absolutely happy for the Lad ! You folks should all be proud of Bob and your whole club ! Lookin forward to watchin tonights game against the Blues !

mt-svk

CBJ/OTT fan
Jun 6, 2007

You cannot compare Lokomotiv and SKA. Lokomotiv plaayed defensively, the basic of his play was defense. SKA played offensively and the defense wasnt the first under Říha. It changed the change of the coach but it was in January only.

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
I hope he doesn't get the vezina. Last thing that's needed is another goalie to get praises showered on him too early and end up flopping because he gets a big head. Glad he is playing well but give the awards to someone who has a track record of consistent good play rather than someone who had an outstanding month.

Rask, schneider etc are seen as playing behind defensively good teams, but bob is not. Probably because everyone refuses to accept that columbus even has a hockey team, much less acknowledge nhl-level players there. I don't agree with that this year and I think to an extent bob is getting the team's credit for their defensively responsible play.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I hope he doesn't get the vezina. Last thing that's needed is another goalie to get praises showered on him too early and end up flopping because he gets a big head. Glad he is playing well but give the awards to someone who has a track record of consistent good play rather than someone who had an outstanding month.

Rask, schneider etc are seen as playing behind defensively good teams, but bob is not. Probably because everyone refuses to accept that columbus even has a hockey team, much less acknowledge nhl-level players there. I don't agree with that this year and I think to an extent bob is getting the team's credit for their defensively responsible play.

I see our defence as markedly improved, but we still fall apart at times and give up great chances. Bob has been making highlight reel saves routinely.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I see our defence as markedly improved, but we still fall apart at times and give up great chances. Bob has been making highlight reel saves routinely.

I think you missed how he said "seen as". CBJ just don't get the respect from the media and fans for having a real NHL team that can win games.

mt-svk

CBJ/OTT fan
Jun 6, 2007

I didnt see our team in this year only one game so I cannot comment your words about our play but I absolutely agree with Vezina. Mason and Raycroft won Calder Trophy and look at their play tonight.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I didnt see our team in this year only one game so I cannot comment your words about our play but I absolutely agree with Vezina. Mason and Raycroft won Calder Trophy and look at their play tonight.

So Vezina or Calder is a death sentence to a goalies career? They get too confident? Got it.

mt-svk

CBJ/OTT fan
Jun 6, 2007
So Vezina or Calder is a death sentence to a goalies career? They get too confident? Got it.

We told about Trophy and not serious how Trohpy. :) But maybe you are right, Bob had a bad time in Philla so probably it only help him. :)
But I see CT for Mason and his play... MRT for Nash and his play after it here... :) Maybe it isnt right but....

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle

this isn't about wiz.

I agree though, he has shown some consistency and reason to believe he'll continue to impress. But its a short season, and he did get himself replaced in philly. I'm on board with believing he is the answer in net moving forward.

But in a shortened season reputation should factor in. Also, the last time a CBJ goalie was told he was good at something he became a headcase. I think too much of the credit he's getting comes from the belief that the blue jackets let him get shelled game in, game out.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
That article says:
" ...as we hit the three-quarter mark of the schedule, it's Bobrovsky who has earned NHL.com's nod for the Vezina Trophy."

But looking at past winners, they don't give it to goalies on non-playoff teams.
Bob would be a big departure from tradition.

He's played well for 6 weeks but not the entire season... He may get it but I hope not, I want him to win it next season after a deep playoff run... He's earned a contract but not the Vezina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad