Bob

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As good as he's played, unless we get into the playoffs its Tukka Rask's to lose.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Then who HAS earned the Vezina?
Rask and Schneider have had comparible seasons.... Both have more wins and Scheider has more shutouts... And both will be in the playoffs too...

I can't say who will get it and Bob is a candidate but others are in the running too...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Rask and Schneider have had comparible seasons.... Both have more wins and Scheider has more shutouts... And both will be in the playoffs too...

I can't say who will get it and Bob is a candidate but others are in the running too...

Neither of those guys has been as meaningful to their teams' success as Bobrovsky, not even close. Columbus has no Sedins, Bergeron, Seguin, Horton, Chara, Hamhuis ... This team's success has - quite clearly - been a direct result of Bobrovsky's play. This team was supposed to be worse than the one that finished 30th overall last year, and was primed to finish in that range again, until his season took a turn for the better. The one major change made in the offseason, other than trading away this franchise's best player, was in bringing in a fresh look in the crease.

Imagine where we'd be with Steve Mason being our guy right now. The Vezina isn't based on who plays for the best team, it's based on the best goaltender ... for the reasons mentioned above, that has been Bobrovsky this year.

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
Good game from BOB. Vezina or not, we have found at least our short term solution in goal. More likely, our long term solution, imo. Also, if the team makes it then BOB will win it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Schneider's been great lately, but he also had a slow start, and took about as long as Bob to get going. So you can't disqualify Bob on that count. Rask and Schneider play in front of outstanding defences, so I do mark that against them a bit, and it makes it easy to favor Bob for the Vezina.

I wouldn't mind Schneider getting a Vezina, because most of these boards were saying we shouldn't acquire Schneider because he was a "tweener". For the record, I thought Schneider was going to be a great goalie, but I also thought acquiring tweener Bob was a waste of picks, so I'm not claiming any unusual prescience.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
5000th post dedicated to my favourite underdogs. Proud of you, Columbus.

wiserhood-o.gif

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Anybody else worried some GM (*cough* Holmgren *cough*) tries to offersheet Bobrovsky during the offseason?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Anybody else worried some GM (*cough* Holmgren *cough*) tries to offersheet Bobrovsky during the offseason?

Holmgren just signed Mason to an extension and Bryz is signed for like 13 more years, so no.

Offer sheets are fairly rare in the grand scheme of things and we'd certainly match any offer anyway.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Holmgren just signed Mason to an extension and Bryz is signed for like 13 more years, so no.

Offer sheets are fairly rare in the grand scheme of things and we'd certainly match any offer anyway.

Mason was only extended by 1 year iirc. He could buy out Bryzgalov or waive Mason. Maybe Philly doesn't submit an offersheet but another team does.

Vezina finalists being RFA's are fairly rare also. We could match, but at what cost?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Mason was only extended by 1 year iirc. He could buy out Bryzgalov or waive Mason. Maybe Philly doesn't submit an offersheet but another team does.

Vezina finalists being RFA's are fairly rare also. We could match, but at what cost?

At pretty much any cost, IMO. Who do we have in the pipeline ready to step in? Also, who on the UFA goalie market intrigues you as a #1 starter to replace him?

Bob will be re-signed by the CBJ, no question. I'm guessing somewhere in the 3 years/$11 - 12 mil range.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I'd also expect Philly to do a compliance buyout on Bryz.

And I'd hope we match any RFA offer for Bob, all the way up to $6.7 million per year, at which point we just walk with two firsts, a second and a third rounder.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
At pretty much any cost, IMO. Who do we have in the pipeline ready to step in? Also, who on the UFA goalie market intrigues you as a #1 starter to replace him?

Bob will be re-signed by the CBJ, no question. I'm guessing somewhere in the 3 years/$11 - 12 mil range.

I'm just putting the two parts of your statement together here. If Columbus is of the mind to match any RFA offer, then why would Bob settle for a paltry $4 million?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I'm just putting the two parts of your statement together here. If Columbus is of the mind to match any RFA offer, then why would Bob settle for a paltry $4 million?

Because I don't think he'll receive an offer sheet, and he'll sign the contract that CBJ offer him, which I suspect will fall in this price range.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Bob never makes it to being a RFA so I would say "no". He'll be signed before July 1st. Besides, an offer sheet needs to be signed by said party and if so that is typically indicative of a bad situation or rediculous offer. If Bob were to sign an offer sheet it would be for one of two reasons: 1) It was ludicrous and so exhorbitant that it's a no brainer to sign or 2) He's unhappy in Columbus, is getting low balled and doesn't want to stay here.

Keep in mind they also changed the contract rules so that you can't front load (or back load?) a contract to circumvent the cap. That makes it a more level playing field so it would have to be high dollars across the board, not just $10MM in year 1 and $3MM each year after that (just a silly example for illustration).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Can't be Schneider- he sucks and wasn't worth a high draft pick or a good prospect. :sarcasm:

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Can't be Schneider- he sucks and wasn't worth a high draft pick or a good prospect. :sarcasm:

I don't recall anyone saying he sucked. He has always had a great deal of POTEnTIAL and that was the point. He has had a great year, his numbers aRE very similar to Bobovsky's. The point was and always has been at what cost to acquire him?

Compare the two and you will find their numbers to be very similar. Time will tell who will turn out to be the better goalie.

But given the comparative acquisition costs I'll take Bob.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
This is where Jimmy Howard's contract extension really stings. If Howard is worth over $5 million a year, then what would a Vezina finalist Bobrovsky (who's several years younger) be worth?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This is where Jimmy Howard's contract extension really stings. If Howard is worth over $5 million a year, then what would a Vezina finalist Bobrovsky (who's several years younger) be worth?

I was wondering about that too.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
See: Steve Mason???

Masons 3 pt whatever three years ago is probably about 5 now. Unless Bob is completely ambivalent I think it costs a lot more than we think. Although Jarmo re-signed Letestu at bargain basement prices.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Howard is an UFA goalie in a weak G crop. Bob is several years away from UFA, however. No need to worry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad