Bob

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Neither of those guys has been as meaningful to their teams' success as Bobrovsky, not even close. Columbus has no Sedins, Bergeron, Seguin, Horton, Chara, Hamhuis ... This team's success has - quite clearly - been a direct result of Bobrovsky's play. This team was supposed to be worse than the one that finished 30th overall last year, and was primed to finish in that range again, until his season took a turn for the better. The one major change made in the offseason, other than trading away this franchise's best player, was in bringing in a fresh look in the crease.

Imagine where we'd be with Steve Mason being our guy right now. The Vezina isn't based on who plays for the best team, it's based on the best goaltender ... for the reasons mentioned above, that has been Bobrovsky this year.

Exactly, Bobrovsky has better stats while facing (after tonight) almost 200 more shots against. Columbus is a worse team and would be that much worse without him, so i think there is a pretty strong case for him. If Columbus can make it to the playoffs i think his name could be mentioned in the Hart trophy talks aswell

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Exactly, Bobrovsky has better stats while facing (after tonight) almost 200 more shots against. Columbus is a worse team and would be that much worse without him, so i think there is a pretty strong case for him. If Columbus can make it to the playoffs i think his name could be mentioned in the Hart trophy talks aswell

Interesting thought. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Columbus Blue Jackets in playoffs or Crosby leading the league in scoring (or anybody else). Which is a more substantial accomplishment?

I think that you're on to something.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Flyers fan here, just wanting to congratulate Bob. Always liked the kid and I'm glad he's playing well for Columbus. I hope the Bluejackets have found their answer between the pipes for the foreseeable future.

Best of luck moving forward.

CBJwheel

Mar 4, 2007
Findlay
I don't know about you, but I am okay with that.

I was thinking the other day about how are team doesn't really have a star. What about Bobrovsky? Bobrovsky is our star player.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I was thinking the other day about how are team doesn't really have a star. What about Bobrovsky? Bobrovsky is our star player.

If the All-Star Game were played in Columbus next year, he'd probably be our team representative.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He really has been beyond amazing.

He may end up being one of the best trades in the last 20 years of hockey-if not the best- if this year is any indication. A second plus two fourth round picks is essentially trading a spare part and two bags of pucks for a possible Vezina and, dare I say, Hart winner.

Former GMSH could possibly have pulled off the Steal of the Decade in the NHL. Whether Bobrovsky plays anywhere near this year's form or not ever again, it's been a trade for the ages for the CBJ organization.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....me=savePercentageLeaders#?navid=nav-sts-indiv

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....Name=goalsAgainstAverage#?navid=nav-sts-indiv

Last edited:

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here

There were a lot of people willing to pay Mason his salary as well.

Philly was willing to pay Bryz a lot of money, and that forced Bob here.

The Islanders were happy locking Rick DiPietro up long term.

Vancouver was happy locking Loungo up long term.

-----

Hockey is a team game, despite Columbus having a lot of salary cap space, they still need to fill the building to make a profit. Bob is helping that, but I'm just not ready to put all the proverbial eggs in one basket. Especially when that is a goalie. With the cap going down, cap space is incredibly valuable. We ended up with Gaborik for spare parts because the Rangers needed to clear cap room for next season.

I'd rather Bob not win all the trophies he probably deserves if it means 1) he comes out to prove himself even more next season, and 2) we can re-sign him at a cheaper rate, and maybe flip a first round pick for a player nobody would ever suspect in order for the other team to get under the salary cap.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I do agree we should be careful with praising Bob here, Mason also had one incredible season. Surely, Bob will get a good contract extension now, but it's too early to say he's a lock to be an elite goalie

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I do agree we should be careful with praising Bob here, Mason also had one incredible season. Surely, Bob will get a good contract extension now, but it's too early to say he's a lock to be an elite goalie

That's true, but Bob has a head of gold and will work hard to stay at this level. Couldn't say that about Mason

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Actually, the entire league knew very well at the time that Mason was "mature beyond his years".

I'm not sayin' anything, I'm just sayin'.

Maturity and Work Ethic are two far different things.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Didn't Bob also have a great rookie year with PHI? So, this is his second good year out of three.

Yes he did

Philadelphia Rookie Year: 54 GP - 28 W - 13 L - 8 OTL - .915 Save % - 2.59 GAA

So far this year with us: 32 GP - 16 W - 10 L - 6 OTL - .932 Save % - 2.01 GAA

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Nothing in particular to base this on other than what has been reported, but it sure seems Ian Clark has had a good influence on him. Coupled mostly, of course with his willingness to listen and work at it.

What a Godsend he could turn out to be.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
FWIW, Keith Jones on nbcsports last night touted Bob as the Vezina winner.

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
Avs fan coming in peace. Man is he playing out of his mind right now! Plus you guys have Jarmo and Davidson at the helm. What a bright future for your franchise.

Is it too early to tell if he'll keep this play up for next year and beyond? Is this just smoke and mirrors or is he rounding into elite goalie form?

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Anything could happen, but right now I am not thinking Bob is the type to believe in his own hype and press clippings (if he can even read them).

As long as he isn't getting super tanked before OSU games next year and showing up overweight, we'll have a solid goaltender for next season and probably the future.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Maturity and Work Ethic are two far different things.

True but from all I've heard, Bobrovsky takes being a professional athlete very seriously.

Hopefully he can sustain this success. Definitely not expecting him to continually replicate the numbers he put up in March, but consistently being better than 0.91 and under 2.4 GAA would be real nice.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Mason had an incredible month, and then tapered off badly. If Bob can go to the end like this it shows well in comparison to Mason.

And it's probably just BS hindsight bias, but Mason played a big slow wall kind of game behind Hitchcock defence, while Bob happens to be nearly technically perfect (still a bit too low in the butterfly) and incredibly athletic. Which one is more sustainable?

Is that just hindsight bias?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Actually, the entire league knew very well at the time that Mason was "mature beyond his years".

I'm not sayin' anything, I'm just sayin'.

An important difference here is that when Mason sucked nobody said that about him anymore, and when Bob had a down year last year his studiousness and practice ethic was still noticeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad