GDT: Bob Nicholson Press Conference 12:30

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
It was announced yesterday that Philippe Boucher had resigned as GM of the Remparts. Everyone assumed that had to do with Montreal or Carolina, but maybe not?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don't think they would've let Chiarelli have the presser yesterday if he was being fired today.
I think they would have because he was GM for this mess and the fans/media wants to hear from him. It wouldn't be right for Bob or someone else to try to explain what happened.

Reactions: Skar

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
MacT did. I think they fired Tambellini basically on the way to his IIRC.

Could have also been the straw the broke the camels back. It wasn't a good PR showing for the Oilers.
Well I hope so, but wasn't the MacT firing because we won the lottery right after his presser? Don't quote me on that though, I don't really remember.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
take this for what it is worth, I have a good friend who has had inside information before. Yesterday, he told me that Chia is out and the org were still undecided about Todd.
If a org fires a gm they let the new gm make the decision on the coach

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
take this for what it is worth, I have a good friend who has had inside information before. Yesterday, he told me that Chia is out and the org were still undecided about Todd.

IMO if Chia goes so should Todd and co. I hope that if Chia goes that Keith Gretzky stays on.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Well I hope so, but wasn't the MacT firing because we won the lottery right after his presser? Don't quote me on that though, I don't really remember.

Bob Nicholson was doing an evaluation on the Oilers management throughout that season. Katz hired him as President of OEG, which was basically Katz passing the torch to Nicholson as the dude who makes front office hirings/firings. He replaced MacTavish with Peter Chiarelli immediately.

If Katz didn't hire Nicholson, it's possible they would have stayed the course and MacT would have remained the GM, which is why he wasn't canned when the season ended.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nicholson; "We'll be taking the time to do a thorough top down, bottom to top, thorough evaluation of our evaluation. We want to get it right, these things take time, at least until we all retire here at the Country club..
ps I love 100buck a bottle scotch. I need this job."

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I remain pessimistic on anyone other than assistant coaches being fired. And if Chiarelli is being removed, that was a damn short evaluation.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
IMO if Chia goes so should Todd and co. I hope that if Chia goes that Keith Gretzky stays on.

Agreed, obviously the Gretzky surname hasn't hurt his cause but my understanding is that Keith is pretty good at evaluating Junior hockey talent and that is a great skill to have when you are trying to evaluate 17 and 18 year olds.

I think either of the Gretzky boys would be a step up on Chia.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think they would have because he was GM for this mess and the fans/media wants to hear from him. It wouldn't be right for Bob or someone else to try to explain what happened.

Could you imagine Bob coming out saying he's Chair of OEG and now also POHO and GM? lol

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Part of me thinks maybe something is up. All of a sudden Nicholson holding this presser and just a couple days ago Stauffer had his puff of smoke comment.

Then the other part of me thinks it’s just all fluff and nothing will happen. It’s probsbly the latter.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
True though, it will be the usual, we’re all evaluating etc. If it was Chia they wouldn’t have had him face the media yesterday
Oh of course. Anyone expecting anything of substance here is deluding themselves.

I'd be really impressed if Bob actually made some changes.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't think they would've let Chiarelli have the presser yesterday if he was being fired today.
why not?
Would Chia have stopped McLellan from doing a year end presser if he was planning on firing him down the road?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad