GDT: Bob Nicholson Press Conference 12:30

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Assistant coaches, McLellan and Chia all extended for 15 years. No firing clause, no movement clause, no "promotion" clause :sarcasm:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Mark Messier as associate coach
Paul Coffey and assistant coach

Wayne Gretzky as GM
Craig MacTavish "promoted" to head scout

Kevin Lowe: "these guys have a combined 17 Stanley Cups, they know a thing or two about winning!"

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If he doesn't at least say the contracts of the assistant coaches won't be renewed for next season, we might as well find a new team to cheer for.

Reactions: McFuhryous

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
In all seriousness, I think this will most likely be a PR fluff thing about Humboldt or something.

But if it's actually about organizational changes, it won't be about the assistant coaches. That sort of thing is below Nicholson's position on the totem pole.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Not to put a damper on potential Oilers news, but is it not possible this has to do with the Humboldt vigil being held at Rogers Place @ 1pm?
It could i suppose...I feel like they would make the agenda public before hand then.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Here's my thoughts

It's either going to small-ish, state of the union, something further about Humbolt (like something further the Oilers going to do/start/etc), firing of some assistant coaches and the hiring of Coffey and looking for more coach help.

Or

It's going to be something large like Chiarelli is going to be Just POHO, they're hiring Norm MacIver as GM, assistant coaches are gone, with Coffey, etc. Also Mac-T is fired from the Oilers and will join Lowe in the EIG.

I'm very interested I this Pressor, I think things might be happening.

Reactions: Dashh

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me if this is only about the coaching staff...wouldn't that fall under Chiarelli's jurisdiction to announce, since by his own word he's the one doing the "deep dive" in that regard?

Since Chia only came out yesterday to give the bare minimum update that he could get away with, I expect today will be Nicholson coming out to give everyone the warm fuzzies and hot chocolate.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Not to put a damper on potential Oilers news, but is it not possible this has to do with the Humboldt vigil being held at Rogers Place @ 1pm?

Yeah, I have no faith in this organization to do the right thing. If it's a coaching staff/GM change, fine, so be it, I'll enjoy being surprised. But this feels like more nonsense.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Mark Messier as associate coach
Paul Coffey and assistant coach

Wayne Gretzky as GM
Craig MacTavish "promoted" to head scout

Kevin Lowe: "these guys have a combined 17 Stanley Cups, they know a thing or two about winning!"

MacTavish runs the AHL team. Why would he take a demotion?

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
They will fire Chiarelli and coaching staff. No need to do state of union, did one on HNIC a few weeks back.

It’s time to move on , Connor approves.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Jets fan living in Edmonton, I come in peace.

Very odd move here, coming just 24 hours after Chiarelli's presser. If there's nothing substantive to report, why not just have Nicholson also appear yesterday alongside Chiarelli? Or why only announce the presser today?

I have to think something substantive is being announced, with somebody being fired very high on the list.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What's the point? It's just going to be more fluff. Don't know why anybody is getting their hopes up for anything happening

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Very odd move here, coming just 24 hours after Chiarelli's presser. If there's nothing substantive to report, why not just have Nicholson also appear yesterday alongside Chiarelli? Or why only announce the presser today?
First grats on the playoffs, enjoy it. Send, this is what I was thinking as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jets fan living in Edmonton, I come in peace.

I have to think something substantive is being announced, with somebody being fired very high on the list.

Maybe he's stepping down and Gretz is taking his spot? I don't know but this seems odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad