Confirmed with Link: Bob Nicholson Named Vice Chairman Of Newly Formed Oilers Entertainment Group

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
You feel entitled to brown nosing management ... must be all that whitewashing you are paid to do.
Nice argument. I comment on what I like or dislike or share opinion but I don't feel that I am entitled to anything. Resume fishing.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nice argument. I comment on what I like or dislike or share opinion but I don't feel that I am entitled to anything. Resume fishing.

Ya, my view has been changing on the subject. We don't deserve anything. It would sure be nice if Katz and co. would do a better job of icing a competitive roster, but nobody is forcing people to cheer for the Oilers.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Ya, my view has been changing on the subject. We don't deserve anything. It would sure be nice if Katz and co. would do a better job of icing a competitive roster, but nobody is forcing people to cheer for the Oilers.

Really, you don't deserve anything.

City taxpayers are subsidizing a billionaires lifestyle with a free arena and you don't deserve anything. One thing is certain, you deserve what you get as a sheep in the give Katz what he wants club.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

City taxpayers are subsidizing a billionaires lifestyle with a free arena and you don't deserve anything. One thing is certain, you deserve what you get as a sheep in the give Katz what he wants club.

The Oilers owe you absolutely nothing. Nor do you owe them anything. The fanbase of this team has become incredibly arrogant and jaded due to the state of the team.

It's a hockey team, not a government.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
The Oilers owe you absolutely nothing. Nor do you owe them anything. The fanbase of this team has become incredibly arrogant and jaded due to the state of the team.

As arrogant as they are, ask the players or anyone in management whether they owe their fans something. Regardless of their inner thoughts on the matter, on record they will say absolutely. That is the nature of an entertainment industry, and everyone except you realize that.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Really define arrogance in terms of this fan base. Lining up to give "I know a little bit about winning" cheque after cheque; could that be arrogance. Maybe it's hoping to make the playoffs after an 8 year drought, led by the most arrogant POS in all of hockey KLowe. Yes, arrogant blue collar working fans, bend over and sign that weekly pay cheque over to your master, and If YOU dare ask for something a little better, Katz's shills will label you as arrogant. What a ****ing joke.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
As arrogant as they are, ask the players or anyone in management whether they owe their fans something. Regardless of their inner thoughts on the matter, on record they will say absolutely. That is the nature of an entertainment industry, and everyone except you realize that.

No, theirs are two other pseudonyms that also tout that diatribe.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

I have been an Oilers fan since they first came into the NHL. There has been really good, mediocre and bad teams in that time. The last few years have been tough to endure but we have some exciting players that are starting to emerge. I don't feel ripped off because I understood when they went down this road a few years back that this was going to be a painful team to watch. I wonder Gone if you watch other levels/types of sport with the same expectations. Every franchise has had it's ups and downs, Pitt., Chi, etc etc. To me this is only going make success that much sweeter when they do start to make runs in the playoffs. If Katz's vision is an Oilers hockey team here for the next 30 years then why should I have a beef with that. I always struggle to find a playoff team to cheer for when the Oilers aren't in it because the emotional connection just isn't there, I enjoy the game but I could care less who wins.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Not really. Sure they "owe" it to the fans to improve but by no means do they absolutely have to. They can continue sucking.

Really define arrogance in terms of this fan base. Lining up to give "I know a little bit about winning" cheque after cheque; could that be arrogance. Maybe it's hoping to make the playoffs after an 8 year drought, led by the most arrogant POS in all of hockey KLowe. Yes, arrogant blue collar working fans, bend over and sign that weekly pay cheque over to your master, and If YOU dare ask for something a little better, Katz's shills will label you as arrogant. What a ****ing joke.

But you don't have to. There isn't a single obligation you have to the team. Not a one. Nor do they have any obligation to you. They can pack up and leave if they want. You seem to think that a team, who you chose to root for, owes you something.

Let me repeat that, you chose to root for the Oilers. Nobody made that choice for you.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

for the most part, I agree. I suppose they owe the ticket buyer $100 - $200 worth of entertainment. but, then again, one is not forced to go. If you are foolish enough to pay to watch this team, you have larger, deeper issues that you probably aren't even aware off.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
for the most part, I agree. I suppose the owe the ticket buyer $100 - $200 worth of entertainment. but, then again, one is not forced to go. If you are foolish enough to pay to watch this team, you have larger, deeper issues that you probably aren't even aware off.
Why would they be foolish, some people just enjoy watching NHL hockey live. I know I do but I can get bigger bang for my buck watching the Oilkings, Bears and Crusaders so in recent years the Oilers are getting less of my money.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

:laugh: really? Maybe one day you'll figure it out. There's a difference between saying give Katz whatever he wants, and not thinking a team owes you something. I think the Oilers should be putting a better product on the ice, but nobody is forcing you to stay an Oiler fan. They didn't choose you, you chose them. You're not owed a better product, you deserve a better product.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014

Can we please put this narrative to rest? Quality of life infrastructure is an integral part of a large city. In a schizophrenic boom/bust cycle like we have, Edmonton needs to create a lifestyle that attracts differentiated industry. When the oil and gas TFWs go back home, we need business that isn't tied to the oilsands to stay and flourish. Attracting that business, and those employees takes a vibrant progressive lifestyle, and a decrepit Rexall Place in the middle of cracktown won't cut it.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Can we please put this narrative to rest? Quality of life infrastructure is an integral part of a large city. In a schizophrenic boom/bust cycle like we have, Edmonton needs to create a lifestyle that attracts differentiated industry. When the oil and gas TFWs go back home, we need business that isn't tied to the oilsands to stay and flourish. Attracting that business, and those employees takes a vibrant progressive lifestyle, and a decrepit Rexall Place in the middle of cracktown won't cut it.

A new arena in the sketch downtown doesn't cut it either.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
A new arena in the sketch downtown doesn't cut it either.
Well thank goodness that the new arena isn't the only development happening downtown. There are a lot of different projects in the works like the Jasper Avenue revitalization, Royal Alberta Museum, Grant MacEwan's Centre for Arts and Communications, multiple condominium developments, LRT lines, 124 Street development, 108 Street development, and 105 Avenue streetscape improvements.

Edmonton's creative culture is completely different from where it was 10 years ago, and we're lucky to have organizations like Make Something Edmonton and StartUp Edmonton. We're actually having educated people move here now from other cities rather than just losing creative people like we used to.

I mean, I hate the project, but you only have to look as far as Light the Bridge to see that Edmonton's changed a lot in the past decade.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I read way back in the thread, the suggestion that the Oilers should buy teams in the 2 other chl leagues, which I personally love.

Anyone know of which teams would be good ones to target?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Not really. Sure they "owe" it to the fans to improve but by no means do they absolutely have to. They can continue sucking.

But you don't have to. There isn't a single obligation you have to the team. Not a one. Nor do they have any obligation to you. They can pack up and leave if they want. You seem to think that a team, who you chose to root for, owes you something.

Let me repeat that, you chose to root for the Oilers. Nobody made that choice for you.

This team, this organization, because of what it demanded, what it took and what it threatened, does owe this community! Also, don't forget about the promised road to salvation.

Last edited:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

The only industries coming here are oil related. They will come if their is an arena, or if their is no arena. People come to earn a living. There is no "need" to create a different lifestyle, there is only "want". I hope you can see the difference.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I have been an Oilers fan since they first came into the NHL. There has been really good, mediocre and bad teams in that time. The last few years have been tough to endure but we have some exciting players that are starting to emerge. I don't feel ripped off because I understood when they went down this road a few years back that this was going to be a painful team to watch. I wonder Gone if you watch other levels/types of sport with the same expectations. Every franchise has had it's ups and downs, Pitt., Chi, etc etc. To me this is only going make success that much sweeter when they do start to make runs in the playoffs. If Katz's vision is an Oilers hockey team here for the next 30 years then why should I have a beef with that. I always struggle to find a playoff team to cheer for when the Oilers aren't in it because the emotional connection just isn't there, I enjoy the game but I could care less who wins.

I too have watched the Oilers that long. Most other franchises treat the on ice product as a Buisness, while Katz treats it as a toy (a la Harold Ballard). I don't see a commitment to winning or even icing a competitive product. Rather the Oilers have been turned into a money making machine, that was/is used to hold this city hostage so it's owner can squeeze every last cent from its citizens; all the while keeping his incompetent friends employed. This is arrogance. So to call the blood, sweat and tear, blue-collar citizen who mostly supports this 30-year vision arrogant, is way too far. I recognize it was Jimmi who believes that, but I think you should re- visit your opinion too.

After 8 years of embarrassment, for me, there is no "sweetness" that can erase the bitter taste that is KLowe's Oilers. With him at the helm, their will be no deep playoff runs. One day there may be a shallow entry into the playoffs, but thus far, this team projects no further. He needs to go. It is his arrogance that has this team where it is today.

Had Nicholson replaced KLowe, that would of gone a long way towards changing the culture of this team.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Same guy you're replying to who calls people sheep said he'd burn his season tickets. He never did.

How ironic. It's the constant negativity and cynicism that makes it hard for me to like this team because others are quite frankly ruining it.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
The only industries coming here are oil related. They will come if their is an arena, or if their is no arena. People come to earn a living. There is no "need" to create a different lifestyle, there is only "want". I hope you can see the difference.
And when the price of oil goes down again, those people will leave; leaving a sprawling Edmonton to fall into disrepair without the tax base to sustain it. So, yes. We do need a different lifestyle to make Edmonton a realistic option for university grads deciding where to start their careers. One of the first steps to diversifying the economy is bringing top talent.

To be clear, "an arena" is only part of the package.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I too have watched the Oilers that long. Most other franchises treat the on ice product as a Buisness, while Katz treats it as a toy (a la Harold Ballard). I don't see a commitment to winning or even icing a competitive product. Rather the Oilers have been turned into a money making machine, that was/is used to hold this city hostage so it's owner can squeeze every last cent from its citizens; all the while keeping his incompetent friends employed. This is arrogance. So to call the blood, sweat and tear, blue-collar citizen who mostly supports this 30-year vision arrogant, is way too far. I recognize it was Jimmi who believes that, but I think you should re- visit your opinion too.

After 8 years of embarrassment, for me, there is no "sweetness" that can erase the bitter taste that is KLowe's Oilers. With him at the helm, their will be no deep playoff runs. One day there may be a shallow entry into the playoffs, but thus far, this team projects no further. He needs to go. It is his arrogance that has this team where it is today.

Had Nicholson replaced KLowe, that would of gone a long way towards changing the culture of this team.

First off, comparing Katz to Harold Ballard is out of the world rediculous. And Of course Katz is going to try to turn the Oilers into a money maker. He's a business man, and is investing into the team AND into the city. Every business man on this planet is going to try to get a return on their investment otherwise, he would be broke.

Do you remember the days of Peter Pocklington? Or the early days of EIG where we had to watch anything close to a star player leave or be traded away because the owner didn't have the money to retain a competitive roster? The Oiler fan in Edmonton had been praying for decades for a billionaire owner to come in and save the day, and pay players what they are worth and keep the team IN Edmonton.

Now that the Oilers have such an owner, who has deep pockets, and has set up the team in a position where we never have to worry about Oilers not playing hockey in Edmonton. Part of the Oilers staying here for good is being on solid financial ground, and I for one am greatful for having Oilers in Edmonton.

I'm as frustrated as most other fans and the poor on ice results over the last number of years, but you are still seeing the benefits of an owner with deep pockets in bringing in Bob Nicholson, and Craig Ramsey. DO you really think the Oilers would be able to afford to bring in that kind of personnel under an EIG budget??

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What your citing doesn't usually occur. Take a look at Winnipeg. Arena downtown, Museum downtown, all kinds of entertainment facilities and attempts to resurrect downtown. In a city that is increasingly Canada's answer to Detroit. Short version is it doesn't work period. Arena's and infrastructure, no matter how much, or variety of do not vitalize and economy, serve to retain industry, or productive employees. Everything happening in Winnipeg currently should tell you that. Most of downtown Winnipeg still looks like a bomb dropped on it despite all the efforts at revitalizing.

And when the price of oil goes down again, those people will leave; leaving a sprawling Edmonton to fall into disrepair without the tax base to sustain it. So, yes. We do need a different lifestyle to make Edmonton a realistic option for university grads deciding where to start their careers. One of the first steps to diversifying the economy is bringing top talent.

To be clear, "an arena" is only part of the package.

If the Oil and gas sector falls down again no amount of diversity is going to sustain impetus. Certainly an Arena, and any such infrastructure isn't even a part of diversifying economy albeit it often parlays further service sector job *opportunities*

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

So...you dont like the idea that a very rich owner, that was born and raised in Edmonton, and extremely successful in expanding a local franchise, has the vision to make this city a better place to live.

Alrighty then, to each their own.

Personally I am very excited to see Katz put his mark on the city after having lived here for over 30 years.

You probably never liked the West Edmonton Mall idea either, which brings in millions of dollars a year from tourism.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Same guy you're replying to who calls people sheep said he'd burn his season tickets. He never did.

How ironic. It's the constant negativity and cynicism that makes it hard for me to like this team because others are quite frankly ruining it.

Yeah its my fault you don't like this team. Nothing to do with the worst record in the NHL last 8 years, incompetent management, and mediocre looking future. I'd ask for a raise if i were you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad