Confirmed with Link: Bob Nicholson Named Vice Chairman Of Newly Formed Oilers Entertainment Group

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if Nicholson is gone or Chia is gone, the orders still come from the OBC. Until the OBC is COMPLETELY gone from this ORG, the stink will continue.

I doubt it. Chia made this mess mostly on his own because he's stupid and there were already signs of that in Boston before he got here.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
It's funny Nicholson and Gretzky went to games to observe the team in new York and LA.

These guys are so greatly all about the relaxed lifestyle they would never head to a Raleigh. It's gotta be a La or new York city.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I doubt it. Chia made this mess mostly on his own because he's stupid and there were already signs of that in Boston before he got here.

Agree, for all the disaster Lowe was he never did something stupid like trade Ryan Smyth or Ales Hemsky for Jeff Wowyitka.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's funny Nicholson and Gretzky went to games to observe the team in new York and LA.

These guys are so greatly all about the relaxed lifestyle they would never head to a Raleigh. It's gotta be a La or new York city.

In fairness to Wayne he has been to other games, what was the game where he was watching by the gate? Seems to me like he's actually at more games than Nicholson is.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Another key point regarding Nicholson and his time working for team Canada. His claim to fame is "being in charge" of the women's hockey team (basically a 2 nation sport) and men's Olympic hockey team during NHL era.

Any dummy could do this and it does not translate to the NHL where there is some semblance of 31 team parity.

In fact Gretzky is a perfect example. He was able to build a stacked Olympic team in 2002 csnotained by Lemieux.

He failed miserably in management for the coyotes.

Just becuase you have good name recognition doesn't translate to shit in management.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Chia just offered to trade by burger for his katsup pack

Chia only wants week old burgers whose best taste was long ago when they were fresh, or burgers his pro scouts and Directors + VPs of Player Development (I think we have 4 of them) tell him are good.
He will trade his Wagyu Steak for them of course, serve them up with mushy brussel sprouts and sour wine and then blame the cook.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Another key point regarding Nicholson and his time working for team Canada. His claim to fame is "being in charge" of the women's hockey team (basically a 2 nation sport) and men's Olympic hockey team during NHL era.

Any dummy could do this and it does not translate to the NHL where there is some semblance of 31 team parity.

In fact Gretzky is a perfect example. He was able to build a stacked Olympic team in 2002 csnotained by Lemieux.

Just becuase you have good name recognition doesn't translate to **** in management.

I don't think Wayne Gretzky has much input into roster moves. This team right now is the result of Chiarelli's 2015 and 2016 summer's basically and Gretzky was not around the team then. Also Gretzky was never the GM in Phoenix.

This is just the net result of mistakes made in those two years, now it's very difficult to recover from that.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I don't think Wayne Gretzky has much input into roster moves. This team right now is the result of Chiarelli's 2015 and 2016 summer's basically and Gretzky was not around the team then.

This is just the net result of mistakes made in those two years, now it's very difficult to recover from that.

Point I'm making is that just because you're a "big name" doesn't mean you're worth anything in a totally different role.

Nicholson the genius is the one who brought in chairelli. He's the one that has persisted with him for years. He's the one that let him trade for manning as early as last week.

My point is what was Nicholsons credentials? When has he ever succeeded in a managerial role when there was heavy parity?

I'm saying it's like Wayne in 2002 winning a gold and then being abysmal in Phoenix.

Nicholson was an awful choice for the start.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Point I'm making is that just because you're a "big name" doesn't mean you're worth anything in a totally different role.

Nicholson the genius is the one who brought in chairelli. He's the one that has persisted with him for years. He's the one that let him trade for manning as early as last week.

My point is what was Nicholsons credentials? When has he ever succeeded in a managerial role when there was heavy parity?

I'm saying it's like Wayne in 2002 winning a gold and then being abysmal in Phoenix.

Nicholson was an awful choice for the start.

I mean at the end of the day, almost everyone thought Chiarelli was a pretty smart and proven GM.

It's unfortunate that he really was a fraud.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Just becuase you have good name recognition doesn't translate to **** in management.

Nickolson was key to reorganizing the off ice financials of Hockey Canada and creating an internal system and structure that was not there before

He had very little to do with on ice activities

I think there is a disconnect between fans and just how much work goes into off ice activities on the business side of things

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Even if what you say is the case, what good has he done well with regards to that? He brought in the World Juniors? Oh boy! It would have happened almost automatically with the new arena. As @Drivesaitl and others have mentioned, he's lost out on easy revenue such as the CFR and other major bookings. Even if we can shuffle aside the fact that he likely had a lot to do with Chiarelli being hired (if he didn't, who did?), he hasn't done much good otherwise.

And if all of what you say is true, why would he bother to say that he was doing an "audit" of the organization? Does he think we care about the "off ice organization" and "running of the building"? Those statements were made in relation to an abomination of a year under MacTavish & Co. If he had nothing to do with the hockey ops staff hirings he should have kept his mouth shut. Lord knows I would have.
It’s not only that but he was the guy who talked about some mysterious “plan” late last season that the fans were going to be excited about getting behind. Anybody who doesn’t think he isn’t involved in hockey ops hasn’t been paying attention.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

He wasn't in management, he was the coach.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
People ask why Darryl Katz lets this go on and on. And how come he runs his other businesses so well, etc, but this one flounders, at least in the product. The fact is, he runs those businesses to make money, and he does that very well. And he runs to the Oilers to make money. And he does that very well. Plus, on a side note, it fulfills his man fantasy of hanging out with his past heros as he puts them on his payroll. Sure, he would love it if the on ice product improved. But the #1 goal is make cash, and that has turned out better than even he could have thought.
He runs his business to make money by any means possible, at times to the detriment of the individual stores he buys. The building I live in had an IDA drugstore in it. He bought it about five years ago and changed it to a Rexall store. The entire time it was a Rexall the shelves were half stocked and the pharmacists all left. Two years ago it was sold, became an IDA store again and it’s back to what it was before he bought it. I don’t know how he operated all his business but I saw how this store was run under him and how the Oilers are run. Must be a nightmare to work for if you’re just a regular guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad