TSN: Bob McKenzie with Toronto GM Dubas - Team does not intend to trade Nylander (ALL NYLANDER TALK HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
If Dubas doesn't hurry up and sign him we'll be missing what may turn out to be one of the best perimeter players in the NHL. Bridge him until he puts up better than Bozak numbers in the playoffs.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I’d hope he could put up 40 assists playing on a line with such a generational talent in Matthews.

It’ll be interesting to see how they fit these guys under the cap if a guy like Nylander gets $8 mill.
He won’t get 8 million

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
There are at least another 15 who have 2 back to back 61 point seasons (since the year 2000) by the same age as Nylander. And that's just me quickly going through hockeydb.

Sure. And maybe 20 more in the 20 years before that. And almost none before that.

Around 40.

That's what I said.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Sure. And maybe 20 more in the 20 years before that. And almost none before that.

Around 40.

That's what I said.

115 players have had rookie seasons at greater than 61 points. So if you are intent on only counting rookies and sophmores and eliminating players like Taveres who broke into the league at 18 than you are probably right, 40-50 total.

Players under 23 that have done it back to back is going to be a whole lot higher. Which is the point of my post that you replied to above. You are looking at 40-50 players that have done that in just the last 20 years. It's actually probably a lot higher than that. I scoured hockeydb for all of 5 minutes picking names that I thought likely did it and I didn't go beyond 15th overall.

The rookie/sophomore thing is a nice bit of trivia but it doesn't mean much.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
115 players have had rookie seasons at greater than 61 points. So if you are intent on only counting rookies and sophmores and eliminating players like Taveres who broke into the league at 18 than you are probably right, 40-50 total.

Players under 23 that have done it back to back is going to be a whole lot higher. Which is the point of my post that you replied to above. You are looking at 40-50 players that have done that in just the last 20 years. It's actually probably a lot higher than that. I scoured hockeydb for all of 5 minutes picking names that I thought likely did it and I didn't go beyond 15th overall.

The rookie/sophomore thing is a nice bit of trivia but it doesn't mean much.

I think it does "mean much".

40 or so players who did it at Nylander's age was my initial point. There have been very few. It's actually a super impressive feat for any player............for all the Leaf haters who keep trying to down-play what he's done.

Oh yeah. And Matthews. And Marner.

Thx for the info.

:)

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Nylander wanting 8 million. Just the 1st of the many unintended consequences of the tavares signings.

Tavares deserved what he got he was a FA. Nylander has to prove his worth.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Can you elaborate your thoughts on this?

It makes sense to a certain extent, if you'd rather have him at that price than not have him at that price AND get draft pick compensation, he's worth that. The problem is, it's a cap league. You're doing your absolute best to pay players less than they're worth. You pay guys what they're worth, and you end up average.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Dubas pinned himself into a corner by saying we can and we will sign all 3, and by saying he has no intention of trading Nylander. If Nylander is truly asking for 8M, then the young GM has a pickle of a problem if Nylander's agents are leveraging here.

Leafs’ 73-man camp roster does not name Nylander
If that’s how Nylander and his agent want to look at it, you trade him for the best deal you can get cause he is looking at it selfishly. And explain to the fans in his own way how they tried to screw the team and let the fans make up their own minds on what happened.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Am I the only one who thinks the Leafs don't care either way if Nylander gets signed soon or not?

Every day he isn't signed all the chips shift to the Leafs.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If Dubas doesn't hurry up and sign him we'll be missing what may turn out to be one of the best perimeter players in the NHL. Bridge him until he puts up better than Bozak numbers in the playoffs.

I've wondered if a 5-year deal might be something appealing to Nylander's camp? That would take him to unrestricted free agency I think (others can chime in)? That way he can get decent $s now and for the next five years while still giving him the opportunity to hit a big pay day when he hits UFA.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks the Leafs don't care either way if Nylander gets signed soon or not?

Every day he isn't signed all the chips shift to the Leafs.

Exactly. People acting like the leafs are screwed (mostly leaf haters, which I understand)

Lets just see what plays out

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Exactly. People acting like the leafs are screwed (mostly leaf haters, which I understand)

Lets just see what plays out
I don't know if anyone else knows this but Nylander probably doesn't have much leverage with the Leafs coming out of his rookie contract. He wants a long-term deal but if the Leafs decided that they're only going to give him a 2 year bridge deal and not budge from that then Nylander might up sitting on the sidelines until he signs the deal. If he hasn't signed a long-term deal by now then it looks like the Leafs will try and sign him to a bridge deal so they have next year to resign Matthews and Marner then worry about signing Nylander to a long-term deal.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Well, this is a page where the young GM did not pick up from his mentor Lamoriello. The Lou Cone of Silence. Better to say nothing than to make proclamations that give wily agents will leverage to use.

Nylander may still sign, but it probably will cost the Leafs a bit more now.

Yeah I think I agree, the more I think about it I may have been better if Dubas didn't say anything. I don't think it'll drive up Nylander's price very much though. He simply doesn't have the comparable production to get more than say, $7 million annual on a longterm deal regardless of the rising cap.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs are a contender with or without Nylander.

Dubas will hold firm on his offers which will probably be multiple options for Nylander to choose from.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Gotta think Dubas is breathing a sigh of relief with that signing. Sets a more favorable bar for signing Matthews as well.

True, but Dallas only had a top salary of Benn at $9.5 mil to play with.

Toronto already has JT set at $11 mil.

No chance Matthews signs for under $10 with that already on the books, unless he has an underwhelming season and can't back it up.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
True, but Dallas only had a top salary of Benn at $9.5 mil to play with.

Toronto already has JT set at $11 mil.

No chance Matthews signs for under $10 with that already on the books, unless he has an underwhelming season and can't back it up.

Matthews is an RFA not UFA.

Nylander will get 7m Max. Seguin is much more proven and a #1 center and was a UFA. Nylander...not so much.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Matthews is an RFA not UFA.

Nylander will get 7m Max. Seguin is much more proven and a #1 center and was a UFA. Nylander...not so much.

Yes, I realize that.

Doesn't mean he won't still ask for (and most likely deserve) top dollar, just as McDavid and Eichel did.

And obviously Seguin's more proven than Nylander.....if I'm Dubas I offer Nylander just a shade under $7 mil. Isn't that what Pasta and Ehlers are making?

What makes Nylander worth 7?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
While this should have been done been done as long as he doesn't miss games that matter it's fine, if he misses games in October then ownership needs to step in and get it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad