TSN: Bob McKenzie with Toronto GM Dubas - Team does not intend to trade Nylander (ALL NYLANDER TALK HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Leafs would be trying to not overpay their players regardless of whether they signed Tavares or not.
I agree. But at some point though there will be a number doable without the signing that can't be agreed to with the signing.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I agree. But at some point though there will be a number doable without the signing that can't be agreed to with the signing.
The way I think you need to look at it is, if you have to choose Tavares@$11-mill or Nylander@$8-mill (in the scenario that we can't have both), who do you choose? The answer should be Tavares. If for some reason, Nylander becomes a cap casualty that we have to trade, we still got Tavares (the better player) without losing assets. Signing Tavares in any scenario is the correct move.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

VoteForTavares

Jun 29, 2018
GTA
LMAO. In the history of the game, there have been THOUSANDS of players come and go.

Lets see how many you can name who have done it, at 20 & 21 years old, or even just in their first two seasons.

From a pool of thousands, it's VERY few.

Here, I'll start you off with a "first 8"..........how many more can you name? :)

- Wayne Gretzky
- Mario Lemieux
- Ron Francis
- Marcel Dionne
- Steve Yzerman
- Joe Sakic
- Ray Bourque
- Mark Recchi
There are only 7 players other than Willy since 2010:
Panarin, Matthews, Laine, Stone, Gaudreau, Forsberg and Marner. Pretty good company IMO. To have 3 out of the 8 is pretty good.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Nylander is not going to get $8 million. His production just has not justified it; there is no reasonable comparison for that sort of contract.

It is pretty much certain the AAV of this coming contract ends up being between 6 and 7 million. The question is where it falls in that range and how many years.

member 147413

I want 8 million too.

First hand report, Dreger will buy you a steak if I’m wrong.

Reactions: Cotton

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Dubas pinned himself into a corner by saying we can and we will sign all 3, and by saying he has no intention of trading Nylander.

Dubas in a corner

giphy.gif

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
People still out there trying to say Nylander will be traded.

What a crock.

According to Cap Friendly, the Leafs have 22 players signed, which is actually one MORE than the roster minimum, and one under the maximum, with $13M of space when you factor in Nathan Horton being on the IR.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Anyone claiming they can't sign Nylander is totally out to lunch.

Especially those posting links to articles of him not being on the camp roster.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Dubas pinned himself into a corner by saying we can and we will sign all 3, and by saying he has no intention of trading Nylander. If Nylander is truly asking for 8M, then the young GM has a pickle of a problem if Nylander's agents are leveraging here.

Leafs’ 73-man camp roster does not name Nylander
TWS....wow this is something leafs related that I actually agree with you on!
I love Dubas and he's an incredible GM, but those are a couple of small mistakes that he has made, potentially impacting negotiations.

If he had said "yeah, we're building an elite contender, everyone has to buy in and do their part, on and off the ice" that might have been a little better.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Exactly. I'd be surprised if there were even 40 players who have done it, all time.

I'd say prepare to be surprised then. Rookie to Sophomore season has 18 players in the last 20 years do it with 3 more able to achieve the feat this year in Barzal, Gourde, and Keller. I surmise the number would grow quite significantly higher if you didn't exclude 18/19 year old rookies and just looked at it as back to back 61 point seasons before the age of 23.

Damian, the bolded is BS, HF is filled with new and casual fans who know dick all about Hockey and display that on here daily. Soccer and Football fans who watch hockey as a second or third option, or the mighty ducks generation from the south, this is what populates the site and they certainly don't know what they're talking about (yet will argue regardless).

What you describe exists on a much smaller scale.

PS: As Damian Cox, is it a blow to your ego to be posting on a hockey forum.

So much this.

Have at 'er, Mods.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
He's going to get a big deal, but if these demands are legit, I'd take it as a slap in the face. Not sure he's doing himself any favors

Reactions: Cotton

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
TWS....wow this is something leafs related that I actually agree with you on!
I love Dubas and he's an incredible GM, but those are a couple of small mistakes that he has made, potentially impacting negotiations.

If he had said "yeah, we're building an elite contender, everyone has to buy in and do their part, on and off the ice" that might have been a little better.

Well, this is a page where the young GM did not pick up from his mentor Lamoriello. The Lou Cone of Silence. Better to say nothing than to make proclamations that give wily agents will leverage to use.

Nylander may still sign, but it probably will cost the Leafs a bit more now.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I'd say prepare to be surprised then. Rookie to Sophomore season has 18 players in the last 20 years do it with 3 more able to achieve the feat this year in Barzal, Gourde, and Keller. I surmise the number would grow quite significantly higher if you didn't exclude 18/19 year old rookies and just looked at it as back to back 61 point seasons before the age of 23.

How many have done it before Gretzky? Any?

Most of the 40 or so(my guess) who have done it, have done it in the modern era. The "high scoring 80's" for sure had some(about 10), and then the 90's, and in the last 20 years, there have been the 18 you mentioned. Back in the older days of hockey, NO ONE did that, as scoring was much lower in the 30's, 40', 50's, 60's. Hardly any did it in the 70's from what I can see. So that leaves 80's, 90's and the last 20 years.

I'm betting I'm right, or at least very close to it.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Has Nylander signed anything yet? Funny how Dreger is unreliable until it's convenient. You say all this now but when he signs you'll disappear like the rest em'.

Well, I just said what I have been told here for years, and now when it is not true (as expected).
What to dissapear? He signs when he signs, and we can all comment about this then.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
How many have done it before Gretzky? Any?

Most of the 40 or so(my guess) who have done it, have done it in the modern era. The "high scoring 80's" for sure had some(about 10), and then the 90's, and in the last 20 years, there have been the 18 you mentioned. Back in the older days of hockey, NO ONE did that, as scoring was much lower in the 30's, 40', 50's, 60's. Hardly any did it in the 70's from what I can see. So that leaves 80's, 90's and the last 20 years.

I'm betting I'm right, or at least very close to it.

There are at least another 15 who have 2 back to back 61 point seasons (since the year 2000) by the same age as Nylander. And that's just me quickly going through hockeydb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad