Post-Game Talk: Bob Cole Farewell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
It’s stuck under his pad that’s in the net. That’s why when he stands up he swings his legs back. It wasn’t under his stomach or he would have stood like a normal person.

Also when does get up, that’s where the puck ends up under his pad. I don’t see how it didn’t go it.

It never stuck on his pad, it hits on his pad and bounces straight out under his stomach area. Watch closely. I think he swings his legs back because he has NO earthly idea where the puck is and it could have been in his pads. It was a very lucky save.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Islanders dont exactly have amazing personnel on their back end.

Trotz implemented a system and got their guys to buy in. Babcock didnt.

Sure they do.

Big bodies, all-round ability on both sides of the puck.

Exactly what a coach like Babcock clamours for and doesn't have in comparison to the Islanders.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Hyman doesn't make the top six on any other team in this league! Period. Babs is nuts. The wasted opportunities...I've seen it too often this year where JT/ Marner gotta put up with being double teamed because the other team knows Hyman isn't a legitimate threat to score. Any time they face a top line with 3 talented players they get beat...just like what will happen against the Bruins if that's what genius decides to do.

Hyman has been the common denominator on not just 1 but 2 completely different lines that formed one of the best in the league for 3 seasons straight. He's a glue guy. We don't have a Marchand who can play his role and be an offensive force as well.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Obviously it'd be nice to get a W tonight... but it means ****. Leafs are in... Habs are golfing.

On to the Bruins. That's what matters. It's definitely a winnable series for the Leafs... but it won't be easy. I think for them mentally the underdog role is better.

Im pretty sure we've been the underdogs the last 3 times we made the playoffs and everytime we lost

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Carolina finished 1 point behind us.

Carolina

Without the Tavares signing, we don't make the playoffs. Completely unacceptable.
but on the other hand, if Dubas kept McElhinney Toronto would've won the President's trophy.

For real, an absolutely disappointing season considering the talent we have. The flaws are conspicuously associated in coaching related areas, such as the powerplay and defensive coverage/breakouts. Fortunately the Leafs have every chance to make up for it in the playoffs

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Sure they do.

Exactly what a coach like Babcock clamours for and doesn't have in comparison to the Islanders.
Yeah, maybe he should find a team that fits more into his style.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sure they do.

Rielly: 6'1" 221lbs
Muzzin: 6'3" 215lbs
Hainsey: 6'3" 208lbs
Gardiner: 6'2" 200lbs
Zaitsev: 6'2" 194lbs
Dermott: 6'0" 204lbs

One guy in the whole group that's under 200lbs.

You literally couldn't be any more wrong :laugh:

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I taught myself to detach myself from the team(s) after major disappointments. Life is much more enjoyable that way. Take a step back and focus on other things. Not hanging out on this forum for a period after helps a ton. :laugh:

Well luckily I'm in the field right now so I'll definitely be focused on other things.

Just seems crazy how every year I let myself get excited for this team, only to have them fail.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Rielly: 6'1" 221lbs
Muzzin: 6'3" 215lbs
Hainsey: 6'3" 208lbs
Gardiner: 6'2" 200lbs
Zaitsev: 6'2" 194lbs
Dermott: 6'0" 204lbs

One guy in the whole group that's under 200lbs.

You literally couldn't be any more wrong :laugh:

And 4 of the 6 are soft as butter.

And 1 of the 2 that isn't is almost retirement age.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Missed Nylander, Matthews, Gardiner, and Dermott for a significant amount of time. I dont know if I'd say the regular season was all that disappointing.

Regardless, I dont care for the regular season. Its about the playoffs. It will be a disappointing year if they're out in the first round again.

Reactions: CincoHolio

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
They do play better team defense. But considering those same players were terrible last year, isn't it fair to say it's because of coaching?

This is quite true. They had great offense last year but couldn't keep the puck out of the net. They arguably have worse talent this year yet finished with more points than the Leafs did.

Dr C

Sponsor
Jan 28, 2014
Whitby, Ontario
Some thoughts about the game tonight................

I made the trip to Montreal tonight with my wife and son to see what I hoped would be an entertaining and impactful game. When Columbus knocked the Habs out of the playoffs, I knew that the game would not have the same meaning to the teams any longer - but it meant a lot to us, having spent $900 on tickets + hotel room + transportation (+ my wife’s shopping ), so I still had high hopes for a great game.

Overall, it was actually a very fun, albeit very frustrating game to watch. Montreal is a great city, and the experience of being at at game at the Bell Centre - the atmosphere, the history of the team (which they shove down your throat every chance they get), and most of all, the passion of their fans, makes it an unique hockey experience that I hope that all of you will get a chance to enjoy some day.

The final score was obviously a big disappointment - although being in the building, you could feel the 5th Montreal goal comming. The Leafs - to me - mailed it in this game. They seemed to be going through the motions, trying not to get hurt, and trying to score on individual rushes rather than the creative, dynamic offence that they showed earlier in the year. Montreal, on the other hand, always seemed to be dangerous, especially with the Keystone Cops defence of Marincin and Ozhiganov on the ice, along with the abysmal 4th line. You could feel the goals against comming - which they did twice.

The decisions to rest Hainsey / Zaitsev / etc.... was the right one of course. You could make a strong argument that several others should have been rested as well. But despite having our 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th best defencemen on the ice tonight, I still expected better. I do understand why the players would be cautious as well - who wants to get hurt in game 82 after all - but that was not the only thing that I noticed watching them live tonight, as well as at Scotia Bank Centre against Carolina on Tuesday.

There is something wrong with this team.

We fans have all identified countless things that have driven us crazy this year: the defence of course, the coaching decisions, the personnel decisions, etc... - but - there is something deeper than the obvious above issues that we have rightly criticized the team for the entire year. The Leafs just seems ‘out of sync’. Their passes don’t connect, they don’t seem to realize when there is an open man to cover, they make tepid, weak passses that get picked off.

They make mistakes - the same mistakes - over and over and over again .

Perhaps the playoffs being a ‘new season’ will allow the Leafs to just ‘flip a switch’ and turn it on like we’ve all been waiting for.

But I just don’t see it.

I am sorry that I can’t be more optimistic - I ‘d really like to be. I hope that the fans out there who see the glass half full will pick me up and keep me positive. I don’t know - I might just might just be bitter because I can hear that ***damn ‘ole’ song through my hotel room window.

I so wanted to be the one singing it tonight.

Oh well.

GO LEAFS (PLEASE) GO

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And 4 of the 6 are soft as butter.

And 1 of the 2 that isn't is almost retirement age.
As compared to what the Islanders have?

Nick Leddy who's never been considered a #1D up until this year.

The corpse of Johnny Boychuk.

Pulock's a young stud, but has his holes.

Adam Pelech who's a nobody.

If you're trying to convince people the Islanders' D is anything special, good luck with that. If 221lbs Morgan Rielly can't seperate anyone from the puck, we have bigger problems.

Reactions: weems

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Hyman has been the common denominator on not just 1 but 2 completely different lines that formed one of the best in the league for 3 seasons straight. He's a glue guy. We don't have a Marchand who can play his role and be an offensive force as well.
I see what he is about... I mostly see missed opportunities by the bushel full ..hence my wondering what any other top six winger in the league would be like. Maybe turn 21 mostly lucky goals into 35 or 40...I don't think it is unrealistic considering who the set-up man is and the potential to take the focus off JT to score. Anyway,Babs isn't gonna change,he has to keep doing the same crap over and over to prove it might work one time!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
As compared to what the Islanders have?

Nick Leddy who's never been considered a #1D up until this year.

The corpse of Johnny Boychuk.

Pulock's a young stud, but has his holes.

Adam Pelech who's a nobody.

If you're trying to convince people the Islanders' D is anything special, good luck with that. If 221lbs Morgan Rielly can't seperate anyone from the puck, we have bigger problems.

They're across the board a better defence.

Being dismissive towards them reeks of homerism.

And it's only getting worse for the Leafs, not better next year with Gardiner and Hainsey departing and even more soft rookie d-men expected to occupy huge minutes.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
And if we were in the west only Calgary would be ahead of us. (Unless San Jose wins).
The West is terrible this year, so that really isn't so great. San Jose might finish above us despite missing Karlsson for half the year and getting worse goaltending than Sparks provided

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
That's 3 straight years in the playoffs for da young gunz! I'm a little disappointed they were in cruise control since like............January. :laugh:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
yes, Trotz is an unbelievable coach. Not only that, but he's a perfect fit for the Islanders. I'm not sure Babcock is a fit for the Leafs
I believe the Leafs are still very young despite their talents.
They need to learn how to be a NHL players with their talents, ie doing all the little things, like finishing their checks, using their sticks....
Let’s look at their current playoff lineup.
They have Marleau, JT, Ennis(assume Ennis plays over Moore and Kadri as the only forwards that have over 3 full NHL seasons.
As for Dmen, Reilly, Hainsey, Jake and Muzzin are the four with over 3 full NHL seasons.

If anything, I think this team is still too raw to make any deep runs into the playoffs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
They're across the board a better defence.

Being dismissive towards them reeks of homerism.

And it's only getting worse for the Leafs, not better next year with Gardiner and Hainsey departing and even more soft rookie d-men expected to occupy huge minutes.
Sure. The same group that led the league in GA last year.

You should thank the stars that Dubas acquired Muzzin, because without him we'd have the softest D-core in the league according to your logic.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I believe the Leafs are still very young despite their talents.
They need to learn how to be a NHL players with their talents, ie doing all the little things, like finishing their checks, using their sticks....
Let’s look at their current playoff lineup.
They have Marleau, JT, Ennis(assume Ennis plays over Moore and Kadri as the only forwards that have over 3 full NHL seasons.
As for Dmen, Reilly, Hainsey, Jake and Muzzin are the four with over 3 full NHL seasons.

If anything, I think this team is still too raw to make any deep runs into the playoffs.

Yep.

This team is still early in their overall development.

The only reason we have heightened expectations in the first place is because of the Tavares acquisition which has pushed us right against the cap and is now hindering us from any meaningful upgrades for the foreseeable future.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
And if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle. What's your point?

My point is the standings don't matter anymore. Who cares if Carolina finished one point behind us. We are going into the playoffs playing Boston, that's been in place for quite a while. Who cares how other teams did at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad