Post-Game Talk: Bob Cole Farewell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Thanks to Hunter we found a gem in Marner; and we got Dermott as well (also Bracco is pretty solid).

Hunter's 2015 draft was pretty solid for the Leafs IMO; 2016-2017 too soon to say at the moment

Table below is from an article done last year in 2018
YearRoundOverallPlayerNat.PosAge2018NHL GP
2015261Jeremy BraccoUSRW18Marlies
2015365Andrew NielsenCAD18Marlies
2015495Jesper LindgrenSED18Marlies
20155125Dmytro TimashovUALW18Marlies
201514Mitchell MarnerCAC18NHL159
2015234Travis DermottCAD18NHL37
20156155Stephen DesrocherCAD19Rights no longer held
20157185Nikita KorostelevRURW18Rights no longer held
2015368Martins DzierkalsLVLW18Was on AHL contract
2016231Yegor KorshkovRURW20KHL
2016257Carl GrundstromSERW18Marlies
2016492Adam BrooksCAC20Marlies
2016362Joseph WollUSG18NCAA
2016372James GreenwayUSD18NCAA
201611Auston MatthewsUSC18NHL144
20164101Keaton MiddletonCAD18Rights about to expire
20165122Vladimir BobylevRURW19Rights about to expire
20166179Nicolas MattinenCAD18Rights about to expire
20166152Jonathan WalkerUSD20Rights no longer held
20167182Nikolai ChebykinRULW19VHL
20174124Vladislav KaraRULW19KHL
2017117Timothy LiljegrenSED18Marlies
20177203Ryan O'ConnellCAD18NCAA
2017259Eemeli RasanenFID18OHL
20175141Fedor GordeevRUD18OHL
20176172Ryan McgregorCAC18OHL
20174110Ian ScottCAG18WHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Because 15 was basically Hunter doing the selection. They got Lou after. Hunter was the correct choice and it was not even a choice to me when Lou left.

You know what, we sit here blaming Dubas for all that but TBH, Shanny should not be let off the hook that weasel politician was flying to other cities during the negotiations hiding his face lol.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If you listen to Dubas interview after Matthews signed, he mentioned they didn't even look at Matthews' stats when asked, which tells me he pretty much bent over to Matthews' camp...this Dubas guy seems like a "yes" man to me.

yeah. that was so not done well at all.

Reactions: Superstar

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It's still insane, that would imply that Matthews and camp have delusions of grandeur. When Matthews came back his performance was way down, all Dubas had to do is say, lets discuss after the season. That's it. 14m / 11.6m would not stand. These contract negotiations by Dubas have been a complete debacle.
I didn't say he was worth that. I'm just factoring in the fact the we currently understand what Matthews demands were and that JT must have had a tempering affect because he too is a #1C.

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
This has been beat to death and now it is being beat to death in an improper thread.

But some of you are dead set on the 14M ask and Matthews not being worth it. It doesn’t matter that he’s not worth it, he was going to get that offer as an RFA. He was going to get 12-15 x 5-7 from at least one team.

He is a player both good enough to receive such an offer worth the draft pick compensation, and good enough that his team wouldn’t want to lose him even for that compensation.

Therefor any leverage you think you have on him because of his age and RFA status is an ILLUSION.

For all intents and purposes, Austin Matthews was a pending UFA, so the price was 14x8 or 11.6x5.

They have the same problem with Marner. This “not really an RFA” problem is compounded the closer you are to the cap, with more leverage going to the agents.

Reactions: Warden of the North

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The fans are probably mostly younger millennial types that like his glasses and virtue signallings. It's the vote for this guy because he looks presidential or prime ministerial crowd. The I like his smile crowd.

It's the kinda stuff that makes this here half empty bottle of crown make sense at 10am on a Sunday morning.

I love the smell of oblivious irony in the morning

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
This has been beat to death and now it is being beat to death in an improper thread.

But some of you are dead set on the 14M ask and Matthews not being worth it. It doesn’t matter that he’s not worth it, he was going to get that offer as an RFA. He was going to get 12-15 x 5-7 from at least one team.

He is a player both good enough to receive such an offer worth the draft pick compensation, and good enough that his team wouldn’t want to lose him even for that compensation.

Therefor any leverage you think you have on him because of his age and RFA status is an ILLUSION.

For all intents and purposes, Austin Matthews was a pending UFA, so the price was 14x8 or 11.6x5.

They have the same problem with Marner. This “not really an RFA” problem is compounded the closer you are to the cap, with more leverage going to the agents.

Nice first post. Are you related to Matthews? :sarcasm:

The reason we have the Marner situation coming up is because first, it was Nylander, then Matthews. Dubas is not a good GM with these contract negotiations...Matthews is over paid, period...think about it...if you prorate Eichel's contract to 5 years, it's probably around $8.5 million and McDavid's would be under $11 million...it's laughable that Matthews is the highest paid player in the league after a 69 point season!

I like Matthews and am glad we have him, but he's severely overpaid...but the deeper issue for me is, it shows that he doesn't care or love the Leafs as much as he says, as his PRIORITY IS THE MONEY! He doesn't have to take a discount, fair market value would do, but instead, he got an over payment, and has set up a trend of expensive contracts for Marner and future contracts going forward.

These overpaid contracts will hinder the Leafs from being a Cup champion...I don't think we just want a good team year after year, as we have that now...the end goal is to be a champion, is it not?

Last edited:

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
This. The Stars aligned and now is our chance. But it seems management is hell bent on messing it up as usual. It's nice to have expectations for your team again I guess. But I feel like we managed to mess up something very good by hiring a rookie gm. He's had a rough first year. I have no faith in him handling contracts anymore. Every agent will go for good jugular cause he's soft

Exactly.

We finally got the 1sy OA pick and drafted a number 1 centre.

We signed a top 15 center as well.

We have marner killing it.

44 is having the best season of his career.

And yet the islanders, who we stole the top 15 center from, had a better season than us.

Reactions: yubbers

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Exactly.

We finally got the 1sy OA pick and drafted a number 1 centre.

We signed a top 15 center as well.

We have marner killing it.

44 is having the best season of his career.

And yet the islanders, who we stole the top 15 center from, had a better season than us.

I just don’t know what to say if you legitimately envy them. They’re propped by goaltending. They’re built like NYR over their last reign and Montreal but slightly worse. They won’t have a long term cup contending core until they either luck out big time in the draft or finish near the bottom a few times. A team can surge on goaltending but it’s so volatile. Once the honeymoon period is over with a new coach they have a few rough years ahead.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I just don’t know what to say if you legitimately envy them. They’re propped by goaltending. They’re built like NYR over their last reign and Montreal but slightly worse. They won’t have a long term cup contending core until they either luck out big time in the draft or finish near the bottom a few times. A team can surge on goaltending but it’s so volatile. Once the honeymoon period is over with a new coach they have a few rough years ahead.

To be clear the only team I envy is Tampa. Imo we have more talent than any other team.

Maybe the islanders just have a really good defensive structure? Something the leafs are dearly lacking.

They did this with barzal having 23 less points than last year. And eberle having the worst season of his career.

I don't know why you think they are going to be in for some rough years ahead. Have they given out multiple 10+mil contracts?

You do know that not one team has won a cup with even 1 player making over 10mil right?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
To be clear the only team I envy is Tampa. Imo we have more talent than any other team.

Maybe the islanders just have a really good defensive structure? Something the leafs are dearly lacking.

They did this with barzal having 23 less points than last year. And eberle having the worst season of his career.

I don't know why you think they are going to be in for some rough years ahead. Have they given out multiple 10+mil contracts?

You do know that not one team has won a cup with even 1 player making over 10mil right?

That’s because teams winning cups signed their core young 5+ yrs ago at cap hits equivalent to $10+m at the time. Why do you seem to also gravitate towards such pointless negative statistical anecdotes?

Teams lacking talent play a defensive low event system. It’s the right thing for those teams. Teams loaded with talent benefits from high event light-your-cat-on-fire hockey like Tampa and the Leafs. Again, NYI did well with outstanding goaltending. Can steal a season or even a playoff round but it very rarely keeps you in contention for a decade.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
And hopefully a new GM. Hey Shanny ,give Hunter a call.
Let's get rid of preppy boy, with his EA Sport lineup.
You realize most of our lineup deficiencies are due to the fact that he doesn't utilize the players Dubas gives him in the best way possible.

Kapanen over Nylander with Matthews
Marleau glued to Kadri all year (especially bad with Brown on the RW)
Hainsey glued on the top pair when a clear upgrade was acquired.
Brown playing when better options like Moore and Ennis, even Petan have to rotate through.

Even Johnsson wasn't used properly at the start of the year. And this team still got 100 points.

If the coach used his lineup properly we would probably be 2nd in the league and at least have home ice.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Oh please. Ive watched decades of "Hockey Men" run this team into the ground.
all the teams having success after success during that period were also run by "Hockey Men". The people who put together the high-flying Leafs of today are also "Hockey Men". The league isn't changing to speed and skill because 'new school' people showed up and chased away all those silly old school people all stuck in their ways. That's just a fantasy some find appealing for reasons that have little to do with hockey. No the league is changing because the rules changed. And the people who are spear-heading that change are (gasp!) the very same oldschool "Hockey Men". Literally the same people. The same front offices the same scouts and mostly the same gms and coaches. Are now looking for players who best take advantage of the new rules which reward speed just like they used to take advantage of the rules that rewarded defensive-defencemen and truculence.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Thanks to Hunter we found a gem in Marner; and we got Dermott as well (also Bracco is pretty solid).

Hunter's 2015 draft was pretty solid for the Leafs IMO; 2016-2017 too soon to say at the moment

If by "found a gem" you mean picked the consensus 4th overall pick at pick #4, sure, you can thank him.

Literally most people would have picked Marner.

2015 NHL Draft Prospect Consensus Rankings

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
One of my most memorable games was sitting in the broadcast booth for two periods while Bob and Harry called the game.
Both were such class, chatted with us at intermission, shared their popcorn and never once asked us what we were doing there.

My daughter watched Saturday with me and commented on how much better 'this guy is than that other guy we normally get'.
She is right.

Sorry for the 'on topic' post.

** I only went a few pages back so I'm not sure why this thread is no longer about Bob.
Is it being speculated that Dubas had Cole removed?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
And hopefully a new GM. Hey Shanny ,give Hunter a call.
Let's get rid of preppy boy, with his EA Sport lineup.
You are aware that Dubas inherited that lineup from his predecessor, Lamoriello? And that his mark so far has been adding Tavares and Muzzin? That's what you want to fire him for?

Your misspelt attempt to write 'pretty boy' betrays what the real issue is here.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
You are aware that Dubas inherited that lineup from his predecessor, Lamoriello? And that his mark so far has been adding Tavares and Muzzin? That's what you want to fire him for?

Your misspelt attempt to write 'pretty boy' betrays what the real issue is here.

Dictionary
prep·py
/ˈprepē/
INFORMAL•US
noun
  1. 1.
    a student or graduate of an expensive prep school or a person resembling such a student in dress or appearance.
adjective
  1. 1.
    of or typical of a student or graduate of an expensive prep school, especially with reference to their style of dress.
    "the preppy look"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad