Player Discussion Bo Horvat

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This wh

ole video games thing is just so weird. I mean, video games can be super ****ing addictive. I know that I've stayed up later than I should have playing games before. Though Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Fallout is more my jam.

I think there MUST have been some evidence internally that it was hurting their performance. I can't see why Bo Horvat and Co. would decide to ban games UNLESS they had a strong reason to believe it was hurting the team. The optics of releasing that internal decision publicly are quite bizarre. I think it would've been better if they kept it internal.
I've never been into video games... just played here or there since my Atari, and then the original Nintendo... but hadn't owned a system since till recently I was gifted a PS3 5-6 yrs ago... but don't play it.

But when GTA4 came out like a decade ago... was over at a buddy's house and played that for a few hours as he was doing other stuff around the house... that shit blew my mind... borrowed his console on a Fri, took it home and played it 8 hrs straight ending the session at 4am... After a completely wasted weekend playing my ass off, I thought... nope, can't be doing this and hope to stay married, and dropped it off on Monday...

Watching the kids playing fortnite and fifa a bit while visiting friends this summer - I completely get it... it can be consuming.

But anyways... back to the Canucks... I think it's more a basic preemptive policy for the road to encourage more hanging out... Their own players lounge in the arena still has a bunch of consoles set up for the players to play don't they?
Much ado about nothing.

Reactions: Nomobo and nucks88

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This whole videogame ban feels like something they could have just kept privately in the room and not let the media/public know.
Guaranteed Horvat regrets bringing it up... was just having a good conversation with Moj and Donny and they nonchalantly mentioned fornite... and then he gets into it in a funny way and it blows up.

Reactions: nucks88

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't think anyone here actually knows what its like being a professional athlete/millionaire flying to different cities with your teammates as part of your job, but in general a lot of this depends on the individuals personality type. The most accurate description of an extrovert vs an introvert is that one finds social interaction energizing while the other finds it draining. So being an introvert doesn't mean you dislike social interaction but more that you can only take so much of it and 'cooping up in a hotel room playing Fortnite' is how you unwind.

Now it's a problem if guys are staying up till 4:00am playing games on a game night, and it can be complicated enforcing that kind of curfew. Otherwise it feels like a kneejerk over reaction to the game that just happens to be popular at the moment... and as someone who doesn't play this kind of games I'm not really sure what makes it so different from League of Legends/Counter Strike/World of Warcraft/etc etc, all the addicting multiplayer games that have come before it. The focus on fortnite is starting to feel like one of those DnD/Satan-type media panics.

People are mentally involved. Get up crush out a few games, do some quests, whatever your game does. Running late so rush to work/training etc. Think about the game while at work. Rush home, start playing. The game dominates thinking of some addicts. I've seen it. Take the game away, they get irritable. A few games to wind down isn't a problem, it is when they get to the stage of thinking about the game all the time. These guys are being paid millions to be focused on hockey.

If a person loves gaming and they can't put their game away for a week or two and not think about it, maybe they should put their game away for a week or two until they can. A good challenge for anyone - I've done it on a few occasions just to remind myself who's the boss when I think I'm playing too much.

The other, overlooked, reason I think the team might be better off on the road without gaming: this team stinks. They are going to need each other to deal with the crap this year will bring. They are going to need to have some fun together off the ice because there won't be much on it. A depressing year isn't going to be helped by people just disappearing of to play their favourite game. I get the communal games, taking turns playing, that's more about hanging out together having a laugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
As a leader of the team, maybe Horvat should take the initiative to try playing video games in an effort to bond with his teammates instead of forcing his teammates out of their own comfort zones. That's kind of what good leaders do.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
As a leader of the team, maybe Horvat should take the initiative to try playing video games in an effort to bond with his teammates instead of forcing his teammates out of their own comfort zones. That's kind of what good leaders do.
He should also try crystal meth if any of the younger guys are into that. Really good for bonding, and shows he is on their level. ;)

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
He should also try crystal meth if any of the younger guys are into that. Really good for bonding, and shows he is on their level. ;)

Is there any indication that anyone on the team does crystal meth?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bumping this one.
What are people’s expectations for Bo this year?
Five goals in 8 games after a slow start to the season. 6 points so far which translates to a 62 point season. When EP is back the PP should improve. I’d also expect his assist total to improve and goal pace to go down.
30 goals seems within reach. 60/65 points?
If his two way play continues to improve that’s a huge step and he becomes a very valuable player to eventually slot in behind EP as the number two center.
Thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Last night was a step for Bo. He is the team's toughest forward. However he has never played a physical role. The next step would be to stick up for a teammate. He has had plenty of chances if he is going to be leader he needs to show he has teammates backs. He deserves a lot of credit for inproving his game but in some ways his game has not been team focused. That seems to be changing.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Last night was a step for Bo. He is the team's toughest forward. However he has never played a physical role. The next step would be to stick up for a teammate. He has had plenty of chances if he is going to be leader he needs to show he has teammates backs. He deserves a lot of credit for inproving his game but in some ways his game has not been team focused. That seems to be changing.
It’s a matter of maturity I think, he’s becoming a man and a leader plus the Sedins are no longer here to shelter him from media scrutiny and he’s taking on the role. Good for him..and us.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

A better team focused game would be more passing, no? He has to utilize his teammates better. Become a point leader. That's also a way to lead.

I understand that people respect his hits and fights, but that's not what is going to make him one of the best players on the team. Better defense. A positive shot differential. More passes to the tape. That's what is needed to get him to the next level. He can get there.

Reactions: travis scott

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Horvat is destined for the second line. He has poor vision and doesn't make use of his wingers. Pettersson will replace him on the top line with Boeser and some other forward, perhaps Goldy, flanking him. While I like Horvat, I do think he is overrated in that he is a poor puck distributor and average to poor defensively.

Reactions: travis scott

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The criticisms of Bo remind me of the criticisms for Edler. "Why can't you be a #1 Dman". That's just what they are , a #2 C and D. I think if we fail to have an established #1 C, then by the time Horvat gets near 30 he's going to be heavily criticised when it's not his fault for being deployed in a situation he's not fit for. Just like I bet if we had a #1 D all this time, Edler would be much more appreciated in this market.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad