Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs Canucks Wednesday 26/02/2014 @ 7:30 PM Rogers Arena - SNET-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

Hosea Cheung ‏@hosea24hours
Bieksa high-sticked. Stanton favouring ankle. Maybe they should just end practice now so they can ice enough players tomorrow … #canucks

Wetcoaster

Breaking news - Tortorella apologizes to Canada.

Sorry, Canada.

Vancouver Canucks coach John Tortorella has apologized for favouring Sweden over Canada in the men's Olympic gold-medal hockey game.

"If I have insulted anybody, that certainly wasn't my intention and I think all of you know that," he said after practice Tuesday. "But it was a careless use of words and where I should be more cognizant. I want to clear that up."​
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/john-tortorella-sorry-for-favouring-sweden-over-canada-1.2551331

Sounds like GMMG had a talk with him and explained what hockey means to Canada.

Since Tortorella is an American he can be forgiven his total ignorance about the esteem in which Canadians hold the game of hockey.

Wetcoaster

Roberto Luongo doesn’t expect to start tomorrow. #canucks

Wetcoaster

Hopefully Hamhuis isn't still suffering from the 23 hr trip :amazed: My good buddy John McClane has a tip:

And how about Henrik??

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma
Torts on Kesler's hand injury: "We went on the ice (Tuesday) and he was having an MRI. Henrik (in Sweden) is due back in the morning."

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Sorry, Canada.

Vancouver Canucks coach John Tortorella has apologized for favouring Sweden over Canada in the men's Olympic gold-medal hockey game.

"If I have insulted anybody, that certainly wasn't my intention and I think all of you know that," he said after practice Tuesday. "But it was a careless use of words and where I should be more cognizant. I want to clear that up."​
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/john-tortorella-sorry-for-favouring-sweden-over-canada-1.2551331

Since Tortorella is an American he can be forgiven his total ignorance about the esteem in which Canadians hold the game of hockey.
Torts is American. I don't care if he favoured Sweden. As a matter of fact I even get his reasoning for it. Big deal out of nothing. If he was Canadian it would be different.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
How is an American cheering against canada in the olympics even an issue? Isn't that what the Olympics are about?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Yeah I didn't have a problem with what Torts said.. He said he was pulling for Sweden cause Canuck players would be playing on that team not on the bench like with TC.

Wetcoaster

How is an American cheering against canada in the olympics even an issue? Isn't that what the Olympics are about?
Had he been cheering for the US - not an issue. But a US coach in a Canadian NHL market with Canucks players on the team, not so much. It is all about optics and I assume that was likely explained to him by management, hence the apology to mitigate the PR damage.

The last things that the Canucks need right now is any more bad press generated by Tortorella.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Had he been cheering for the US - not an issue. But a US coach in a Canadian NHL market with Canucks players on the team, not so much. It is all about optics and I assume that was likely explained to him by management, hence the apology to mitigate the PR damage.

The last things that the Canucks need right now is any more bad press generated by Tortorella.

Wait, there exists an American who wasn't cheering for America during the Olympics? Come on mang. I know he said he didn't care about the Olympics, but he also said he didn't watch the USA games and then a day later admitted he had watched Kesler get hurt blocking a shot.

But Lemme guess, the same people making a huge deal of this were the same clown mob looking to lynch Kesler for his comments about Canada in the heat of the last Olympics?

Either you enjoy national competitions, and can handle a bit of the trash talk that comes with it, or you can't and probably shouldn't watch things like the Olympics.

Wetcoaster

Wait, there exists an American who wasn't cheering for America during the Olympics? Come on mang. I know he said he didn't care about the Olympics, but he also said he didn't watch the USA games and then a day later admitted he had watched Kesler get hurt blocking a shot.

But Lemme guess, the same people making a huge deal of this were the same clown mob looking to lynch Kesler for his comments about Canada in the heat of the last Olympics?

Either you enjoy national competitions, and can handle a bit of the trash talk that comes with it, or you can't and probably shouldn't watch things like the Olympics.
The advice likely given to Tortorella by management - next time shut up.

The comments were made after the Canada Sweden match-up was confirmed IIRC.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver

He was hoping that the Swedish Canuck players had huge games because the Canadian ones probably weren't going to be playing much.

Where is the controversy in that, this whole thing is getting twisted.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
The advice likely given to Tortorella by management - next time shut up.

The comments were made after the Canada Sweden match-up was confirmed IIRC.

ha ha I do agree it would have been best for both Torts and Kesler to just shut up in those instances, but sometimes those outbursts are what reminds us that these guys are humans with passions and get riled up by stuff as well.

Wetcoaster

He was hoping that the Swedish Canuck players had huge games because the Canadian ones probably weren't going to be playing much.

Where is the controversy in that, this whole thing is getting twisted.
It is all about optics and perception - PR. He should never have said what he did.

Wetcoaster

Luongo - "I haven't given up a goal in two and a half weeks so feeling pretty good." #canucks

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

Sorry, Canada.

that's a stupid thing to apologize for and im mad at the club for coming down on him + idiots who got upset by it

Wetcoaster

Just to show how sorry I am for my comments about hoping Sweden would win the Gold Medal game:

"You Sedin and Edler, drop and give me 100!!!"

BhWnnbpCEAEovw0.jpg

Edler - "A 100 what coach?"

Sedin - "I am trying to cut back on the diving."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad