Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs Canucks Wednesday 26/02/2014 @ 7:30 PM Rogers Arena - SNET-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Breaking news - Tortorella apologizes to Canada.

Sorry, Canada.

Vancouver Canucks coach John Tortorella has apologized for favouring Sweden over Canada in the men's Olympic gold-medal hockey game.

"If I have insulted anybody, that certainly wasn't my intention and I think all of you know that," he said after practice Tuesday. "But it was a careless use of words and where I should be more cognizant. I want to clear that up."​
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/john-tortorella-sorry-for-favouring-sweden-over-canada-1.2551331

Sounds like GMMG had a talk with him and explained what hockey means to Canada.

Since Tortorella is an American he can be forgiven his total ignorance about the esteem in which Canadians hold the game of hockey.

Jesus Christ. He seriously had to apologize for THAT? If I were him, I would have gone around in the media openly cheering for Sweden for the duration of the Olympics. This Canadian inferiority complex ******** is starting to get ****ing pathetic.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
What the hell is torts doing... so many injuries.

What do you mean? You think he is somehow injuring people in practice?

Its hilarious how much of a scapegoat he is for injuries and shot blocking, when very few of our actual injuries are a direct result of his shot blocking or him. Unless we want to blame him for making kesler block shots in russia, hanzal checking santorelli and sedin, edler for skating, kanopka for stanton, our D for clearing the puck at burrows face, ect...

Besides schroeder and burrows nothing with proof can be pinned on his shot blocking for injuries, yet that wont stop hfboards from blatant speculating and finding a scapegoat. And ann schmaltz claims bieksa came into the season with nagging injuries that got worse and carried over from last season (when he was also injured).

Last year we had no scapegoat to blame, and in a short season we lost kassian (2 weeks for back), bieksa was injured and missed quite a few games and played the playoffs banged up, higgins missed a few games before playoffs, booth was injured again, tanev got injured before playoffs and never played, schneider got injured, kesler was injured taking a shot off his foot.

Nobody seems to remember those already and its all torts doing since he showed up.

Last edited:

Wetcoaster

The Stork has taken a lot of ribbing over Sweden's loss to Canada in the Gold Medal game.

So Eddie Lack on his first visit met a young fan Kade at BC Children's Hospital was all excited when he heard the Canucks were going to visit and he had an Olympic joke all ready for Eddie.

Feb2514_hospital1_big.jpg

A visit to BC Children’s Hospital should have been a break from the Olympic chirping for Lack. Then he met Kade.

Since finding out early Monday morning the Canucks were making their annual BCCH visit, the seven-year-old sat waiting. He waited, waited and waited some more, focused on the joke he had prepared for Lack, and not the ulcerative colitis he’s battling.

With Kade in protective isolation, Lack couldn’t enter the room, but just being at the door to greet one of his biggest fans made both their days.

“Hi Eddie,†Kade grinned.

“Hey buddy, it’s great to see…â€

“I’ve got a joke for you!†Kade said, as he excitedly cut him off.

“I can’t wait to hear it buddy. Shoot.â€

“Eddie, what time is it in Sochi?â€

Lack stood in silence, pondering his answer. “Gold o’clock,†Jason Garrison laughed under his breath.

Before Lack could reply, Kade unveiled the answer.

“Three past Henrik Lundqvist!!!â€

Room 11 in ward 3F erupted in laughter, mostly from Lack.

The 26-year-old Canucks goaltender had never visited the BC Children’s Hospital before and on this day he was one of more than 20 players, including injured forward Mike Santorelli, who made the trip.

Anyone who hadn’t had a flu shot wore a surgical mask (hospital’s orders), so Lack couldn’t hide his wide-eyed reaction to the difficulties many of the children he visited are facing.

Normally outspoken and boisterous, Lack was quiet and reserved throughout most of the tour, alongside Jannik Hansen, Brad Richardson, Chris Tanev and Garrison.

Kade’s joke changed everything, for both guys.

“It really puts it in perspective that yesterday I was cheering for who would win a medal and I thought that was so important,†said Lack. “These kids and staying strong and knowing they can overcome their illnesses is what’s actually important.​
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=706403

cc

Feb 28, 2002
There really wasn't anything for torts to apologize for.

The thing that I was critical about torts with was how he managed ice time. I hope he has become more aware of that in future games.

Look for the blues to play a very physical game against the injury riddled and travel weary canucks

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
On the whole Torts wanted Sweden to win...

Torts is apologizing because the media is pathetic. They were looking to run with that story and blow it out of proportion, just like 'Kesler hates Canada'. Glad he flattened it because 1040 couldn't get even more brutal.

He even stated at the time because he didn't think Hamhuis and Luongo would be playing so he wanted Edler and Daniel to win...

Also Edler and Daniel have 0 confidence right now and maybe it would've turned their seasons around.

I don't know if the people in the media are this dumb or they just think your average listener/viewer is a complete moron.

Edit: oh yeah the game... Luongo/Lack will have to steal this one.

... hope no one saw that type-o before I edited haha

Last edited:

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
So I guess we are looking at something like this tomorrow.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Kassian
Booth-Richardson-Hansen
Sestito-Lain-Dalpe

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Corrado
Stanton-Diaz

Luongo

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Jesus Christ. He seriously had to apologize for THAT? If I were him, I would have gone around in the media openly cheering for Sweden for the duration of the Olympics. This Canadian inferiority complex ******** is starting to get ****ing pathetic.

I know, so embarrassing.

So far we have Vancouverites complaining about Torts because he has made his players do push-ups in practice and as an American he was rooting for the Swedes against Canada in the gold medal game at the Olympics.

Bunch of babies, sorry.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
lots of tortz hate in here. Hard to argue that there have been a lot of injuries - hard to coach a system when there are new guys showing up every week.

So are we calling December a fluke? I honestly don't know where I stand on him, but I have liked his system. It reminds me a lot of the gold medal team's system of no mistake hockey. Problem is, our players are making mistakes all over the place. The problem has felt more like poor play than poor coaching to me so far. I mean... is it tortz fault Burrows went all those games without a goal? And he wasn't the only one slumping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad