Half-Assed GDT: Blues v Caps- Will Tom Wilson hurt one of our rookies Part 3?

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Ugly

Some work to do.

Tank = ghost
Perron = ghost
Bozak = ghost
Steen = ghost
Etc.

Maroon, ROR, Kyrou, and Thomas showed up.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Ugly

Some work to do.

Tank = ghost
Perron = ghost
Bozak = ghost
Steen = ghost
Etc.

The 3rd line had some of the better chances for the Blues and I would not say Maroon, Kyrou, or Thomas really showed up tonight.

Reactions: Thallis

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Biggest thing I take away from this game is how much I now hate the Caps announcers. I mean my god they are f***ing awful. They are either too busy blowing whatever Caps player they are fixated on in that moment or they chastising opposing players for some made up slight. I sincerely hope I never have to hear those two call a game again.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Ugly

Some work to do.

Tank = ghost
Perron = ghost
Bozak = ghost
Steen = ghost
Etc.

Tank: made a good pass, but not assertive enough
Perron: Agreed
Bozak: Early opportunities not capitalized upon
Steen: Same as Tank, but improved in the 2nd
Maroon: Showed up, but didn't impress
Kyrou: Perron 2.0
Thomas: Agreed

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Ugly

Some work to do.

Tank = made a few good passes early in the game, one a cross ice feed to Maroon who failed to put it in. Hit a post on the 5 on 3. Played physical with a couple of big hits
Perron = was a quite night but also his first preseason game, probably still dealing with some tenderness in the groin.
Bozak = Had a few chances tonight, not many high quality but the 3rd line did generate some chances. Had one hell of a shift in the second period.
Steen = Agreed, pretty disappointed in what I have seen from Steen thus far. Doesn't really seem all that engaged yet.
Etc.

Maroon had a good fight but also a really stupid penalty.
ROR I agree was probably our best player tonight.
Kyrou got quieter as the game went on but I thought he stood out way more than Blais tonight
Thomas, see Kyrou.

I guess I watched a different game than most.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Ugly

Some work to do.

Tank = ghost
Perron = ghost
Bozak = ghost

Steen = ghost
Etc.

I could be wrong but isn't this the first game of the pre-season for these two after being out with injuries? Also, I believe I heard they were playing through them this game.

Reactions: The Note in MI

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
That was the Caps first win of the preseason

Just to put it into perspective for everyone that thinks Copley is a future hall of famer or that this game mattered.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
What positive Maroon did except fight?
Clearly with Berglund gone, Ranksu has found a new man-crush.

:razz:

Maroon had a couple nice scoring chances. That one cross ice pass from Tarasenko comes to mind, tho Copley did a great job getting over to block the net. I'm sure Jaskin would've buried it tho :eyeroll:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Scrolling through the thread and was surprised at the amount of people needing help finding a stream for this game.

Psst, there is literally a subreddit for everything. Use your google machine. Reddit + key words
Thank you! For those (20+!) people who asked for a link those two sites I provided have every NHL game.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Not really a good game to watch. Super messy.

A lot of watching instead of skating on zone exits and through the neutral zone.

If our guys came into camp in condition, you wouldn’t have known tonight.

Young guys looked overmatched physically. They didn’t shy away. They just couldn’t get well established that often. Blais looked the best of the three offensively, but he still has shifts off and needs defensive positioning drills.

Kyrou wasn’t using his speed enough for this type of game. He tried to force too many plays. Straight lines would have helped him out. He tried to look around to find plays, but there was no space while he was fairly immobile.

Schenn was bringing the effort but his timing was off a bit. Schwartz looked on point and ready for another good season. I think these two will get back to converting before too long. They were our best line tonight.

Tarasenko exhibited a bit better effort than last year. Still too much waiting around in positions that aren’t dangerous. I would like to see him drive the play more like in his first two/three seasons. Also he should not QB a PP. he is better than Steen there, but still a turnover machine.

Maroon is faster than he is given credit straightaway. But, he is slow to make reads and move his feet. It puts him behind the play too often.

Bozak is going to be a player that flashes on and off throughout games. He can look like a threat one shift and a passenger the next. As a third liner that may be ok, because his flashes are pretty dangerous offensively. Dude needs help on the PK. He looks clueless.

Perron is shaking off the rust. I hardly noticed Steen.

Barbashev looked ok.

ROR was fully engaged. It’s funny that ROR and Schwartz looked the best, but were on the ice for so many goals.

Johnson looked solid. Jake looked like it was his first game.

Dunn looked lax. Bortuzzo looked like he was lacking hockey sense. It was a brain fart kind of night.

Perron was engaged, but his decision making was off.

JBo looks mobile again.

Our PP is still laughable. It’s super predictive to the point where the PKers really just need to stay in position and float in lanes. Yeo needs to either stay far away from the PP or do some psychedelics to open up his mind. Someone who never watched hockey could pick up on the overarching PP concept.

Our PP in a nutshell. Up-down, side to side, shoot into shin pads. Turnover. Recover puck from defensive zone. Slowly move up up ice, preferably with one restart. Struggle to enter zone. Piss away 20seconds. Setup perimeter passing with flat footed players. Get frustrated with no open lanes. Shoot again into shin pads or wide of net.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
#55 has a future as an accountant.

I don't think Parayko has the ability to stand up for himself if someone wrongly accused him of tallying a column incorrectly...

I think he'd make a great Walmart greeter though! He'd be impossible to miss on the way in the door!

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Just flipped to the box score. LOL Pheonix Copley shuts out the Blues!

I haven’t read the thread yet. Is the sky falling?

I am ready for the preseason to be over, and play games that mean something. I don’t think we can learn much more about this team until then.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think Parayko has the ability to stand up for himself if someone wrongly accused him of tallying a column incorrectly...

I think he'd make a great Walmart greeter though! He'd be impossible to miss on the way in the door!
Parayko seems to have regressed slightly last season. I think he is overthinking things in an effort to improve. He is a smart guy, but he isn’t a quick thinker. His best bet is to be instinctual and where his instincts aren’t cutting it, rely on building good habits. One of those habits should be shielding the puck while skating. I feel like he did better with that two years ago. Another thing is quit reaching for the puck with your stick. You are fast enough and big enough to simply guide your guy to the boards. You don’t even have to hit him if you don’t want. Just use your frame to get the guy to less dangerous areas of the ice. That last thing he should be doing is being so focused on the puck that a guy can get in tight on him and twist him up.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Just flipped to the box score. LOL Pheonix Copley shuts out the Blues!

I haven’t read the thread yet. Is the sky falling?

I am ready for the preseason to be over, and play games that mean something. I don’t think we can learn much more about this team until then.
They sky isn’t falling but there is work to be done. It is preseason, so some of that is to be expected.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Parayko seems to have regressed slightly last season. I think he is overthinking things in an effort to improve. He is a smart guy, but he isn’t a quick thinker. His best bet is to be instinctual and where his instincts aren’t cutting it, rely on building good habits. One of those habits should be shielding the puck while skating. I feel like he did better with that two years ago. Another thing is quit reaching for the puck with your stick. You are fast enough and big enough to simply guide your guy to the boards. You don’t even have to hit him if you don’t want. Just use your frame to get the guy to less dangerous areas of the ice. That last thing he should be doing is being so focused on the puck that a guy can get in tight on him and twist him up.

Sarcasm slightly overdone or not conveyed clearly enough?

I quite like Parayko as a player. Highly mobile, reasonably skilled, smooth skater with good transitional play.

I just wish he was more effective with his massive frame - I'm not saying lay someone out Pronger/Stevens style every time, but it would be nice to see him lay out a devastating hit once or twice a game. Or as you say to guide them to the perimeter without delivering a hit.

A player of Parayko's size (6'6 235 lbs) should play with more of an edge to their game than a player of Edmundson's (6'4 207 lbs).

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
We go through this song and dance every season. I'd much rather just have Colton stay on the ice rather than in the box.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Just my observations from my first real-time viewing:
Steen-Bozak-Perron is a fine 3rd line. Thought they were good.
Of the 3 young forwards Thomas looked the best tonight. Kyrou and Blais didn’t stand out much at all.
PP still seems to be a disorganized mess. I have little faith this will be fixed with Yeo around.
The Maroon fight was entertaining, but I don’t see that line working and I hope they move him off ROR’s wing sooner rather than later. As noted above, he just seems a step behind the play. Perhaps it’s just some rust, but as soon as Fabbri is ready, that should be his spot.
The first goal allowed was a top shelf snipe, but Allen was far too in the crease (shocking, I know)

Overall I thought they played well. They just got beat by a goalie trying to win a backup spot and standing on his head.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Didn't watch the game, how was Allen?

He wasn’t bad. Made some good saves in close, but you could tell it was his first game. First goal he was a bit lazy repositioning himself. 2nd goal was juicy rebound but didn’t help that the defense failed to tie up the opposing players.

Reactions: elkranio

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3