Half-Assed GDT: Blues v Caps- Will Tom Wilson hurt one of our rookies Part 3?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Allen was ok. I thought Yeo’s game plan for the goalies was perfect: start Allen and let Johnson come in to finish things up.

God knows we’ll probably have that situation play out a dozen or so times throughout the season, so he’s trying to get the boys used to the idea of playing from behind and trying to rally the club behind the backup. :sarcasm:

Mar 6, 2012
I'm still not sold on Yeo. In my opinion, coaching is the biggest question mark on the team... not goaltending.

Reactions: Blueston

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He wasn’t bad. Made some good saves in close, but you could tell it was his first game. First goal he was a bit lazy repositioning himself. 2nd goal was juicy rebound but didn’t help that the defense failed to tie up the opposing players.
I would agree. I would add that he looked a bit rusty, especially with his rebound control. I felt like there were too many shots that he should have been able to absorb and either play or cover, but in general he did a good job of directing those extra rebounds to the wings and corners rather than into the slot as he has tended to do when he struggles. All in all, he was near the bottom of the list of reasons why this game didn't go so well.

Reactions: stl76

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
It was pretty evident that the team still needs time to mesh, there's quite a bit of turnover from last year's roster. I liked some of the offensive chances we generated, but sloppiness with the puck and an ineffective PP still plagues the team.

My confidence in Allen remains shaky at best, but Johnson didn't look half bad.

A lot of people are concerned about Steen, and some of it is justified, but I thought he looked pretty solid last night. Made some smart plays with the puck and obviously his work ethic is still top notch.

I don't see this Maroon-ROR-Tarasenko line lasting very long.

Dunn might be a victim of a sophomore slump, I haven't really liked his performance in any of the games I've seen of him.

It's preseason though, so not going to get too worked up over some of these things.

Reactions: Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm still not sold on Yeo. In my opinion, coaching is the biggest question mark on the team... not goaltending.
Yes that powerplay need to be more effective and more possibilies, its generally really easy to read what our set-up is at powerplay. Looks like 2nd powerplay has more flow and imagination which makes it hard to read. 1st powerplay we trust on too heavily Tarasenko, it could work if we would play other side more and let Tarasenko being just shooter, now he's also playmaker on that part which makes Tarasenko's weapon useless. I compare it how Caps runs their powerplay, Ovie doesn't ever touch the puck, only when he's shooting and puck is all the time at right side with Backström.

Now we've 3 more right handed forward (Bozak, Perron and Kyrou) in our team so lineup those players that way it will give balance our powerplay.

There is no any excuse why our powerplay doesn't work and be NHL top5 spot. Its Yeo job to make it work, he has all the pieces (players) to make it work. So much talent.

Reactions: Chief Steele

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I don't see this Maroon-ROR-Tarasenko line lasting very long.
I don't either. They really need a speedy winger, especially so when ROR isn't an incredibly fast skater either. The problem this line is going to run into is entering the zone with the puck. Maroon probably takes a few skaters away by just being big and forceful in front of the net but you really need that winger support to dish the puck to Vladdy. It's not a bad line if it's already in the zone. Really hope they either put Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko back together or have one of the faster kids play on the wing on that line. Thomas-O'Reilly-Tarasenko doesn't sound bad.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Happy to see other people also see that Maroon doesn't work with ROR and Tarasenko.

I would love to see either Blais or Kyrou playing with 1st line.

Code:
Kyrou - ROR - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Blais
Steen - Bozak - Perron
Maroon - Thomas - Barbashev/x

x=Fabbri/Jaskin/Thorbun

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Happy to see other people also see that Maroon doesn't work with ROR and Tarasenko.

I would love to see either Blais or Kyrou playing with 1st line.

Code:
Kyrou - ROR - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Blais
Steen - Bozak - Perron
Maroon - Thomas - Barbashev/x

x=Fabbri/Jaskin/Thorbun

I think Kryou is a natural right wing so he needs to stay on that side for now. You're having O'Reilly also shoulder a large defensive responsibility with Tarasenko and Kyrou. I still think that once he's up to speed, Fabbri is the logical choice, although I wouldn't mind eventually seeing if Thomas can fit on that line. Hell, maybe Perron if early on, Maroon isn't working out. I still want to see Kyrou with Schenn and Schwartz and Blais with Thomas and Maroon. Let that 3rd line with Bozak, Steen, and Perron be more of a shutdown line that can add offense ala Lowry, Copp, and Tanev.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I was at the game last night, and while the final result was poor, I thought the team looked pretty decent.

- Allen looked good, way better than I expected. First goal was a great shot, second goal was poor coverage and Parayko without a stick. I thought Allen's positioning was solid and he looked to be seeing pucks well.
- Kyrou looked pretty decent. He seems to be able to find soft spots in coverage; I remember a pretty nice high-slot tip that Copley had to make a great save against.
- Thomas looked solid
- The 5-on-3 had some pretty nice chances, and ROR seemed to really help out on the PP in general (as predicted by this great Evan Sporer article in The Athletic
- You could tell it was Perron's first game. Doesn't look like the hands/legs are there yet

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I think Kryou is a natural right wing so he needs to stay on that side for now. You're having O'Reilly also shoulder a large defensive responsibility with Tarasenko and Kyrou. I still think that once he's up to speed, Fabbri is the logical choice, although I wouldn't mind eventually seeing if Thomas can fit on that line. Hell, maybe Perron if early on, Maroon isn't working out. I still want to see Kyrou with Schenn and Schwartz and Blais with Thomas and Maroon. Let that 3rd line with Bozak, Steen, and Perron be more of a shutdown line that can add offense ala Lowry, Copp, and Tanev.

I threw out the idea of swapping Maroon for Perron last night -until Fabbri is back to speed, as I feel he’s far and away the best choice for that spot- and dropping Maroon to 4th line LW. As far as I can tell Maroon’s entire purpose on the ROR line is to retrieve pucks and park in front of the net. Perron can do that and provide more skill in the process. I think that will be a good third line but I’d put Blais in Perron’s spot, Kyrou with Jayden and Brayden and slot Perron in where Maroon is. It seems like they’re committed to making this Maroon-ROR-Tarasenko thing work, though.

Reactions: Stealth JD

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Didn't watch the game, how was Allen?
He looked a bit rusty, but honestly pretty good. Appeared calm and controlled for the most part and neither goal he allowed was particularly soft. Chojin summarized it well IMO:
- Allen looked good, way better than I expected. First goal was a great shot, second goal was poor coverage and Parayko without a stick. I thought Allen's positioning was solid and he looked to be seeing pucks well.
I would add that if Parayko would have just taken to body on the first goal then there likely never would have been a shot much less a goal. He was too focused on the puck and when it took an unlucky bounce away from him, suddenly the Washington player RIPPED it under the cross bar far side. If Parayko would've just planted Barber when he tried to cut to the center (doesn't even have to be a violent hit, just physically tie up the guy) then the puck probably ends up in their feet and back checkers have a chance to catch up to the play.
Gersich's scorching wrister

The second goal was just an all around shit show in the d-zone. Complete defensive breakdown. It would have been nice if Allen could've swallowed the rebound, but he made a good initial save and I believe it was tipped in front. Not much of a chance for him given Bouw, Parayko, and the forwards coverage on that one. If either Bouw or Parayko tied up their man then that goal doesn't happen.

Dunn might be a victim of a sophomore slump, I haven't really liked his performance in any of the games I've seen of him.
Hope you're wrong, but I actually share your concern about Dunn. He looked a bit better this game, but I thought he was really bad against Columbus. He better not be taking a top 4 spot for granted.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This is semi out of left field but from what I've seen from Mikkola. I feel he will defend the way we want Parayko to. He neutralizes forwards. I love that Parayko realizes he's capable of just taking the puck the other way, problem is that you become predictable. Forwards know they can try to make a move and dont have to worry about eating ice.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
While team was overall more physical as a group. I thought Bortuzzo was even more physical than normal. I don't know if it was because of Blues & Caps game tend to go in that direction or because he is feeling the heat on the 3rd pair and knows that being a physical threat is an asset that Schmaltz can't compete with.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
While team was overall more physical as a group. I thought Bortuzzo was even more physical than normal. I don't know if it was because of Blues & Caps game tend to go in that direction or because he is feeling the heat on the 3rd pair and knows that being a physical threat is an asset that Schmaltz can't compete with.
I think it was mostly a reaction to the Blues vs caps, and Wilson in particular. Bortuzzo was quick to rush in after the Wilson hit on Dunn. The whole team looked to be on edge/waiting for him to take it over the line physically. Personally, I thought Bortuzzo was over the top with the physically and appropriately penalized for it (lucky he wasn't called for the anything on that hit on Kempny).

Overall tho, I actually like the team toughness and guys standing up for themselves and others. Pietro and Colt throwing some hits, Dunn and Schenn confronting Wilson, Maroon throwing down....this does not seem like a team that will take kindly to other players taking liberties. I don't think we will see anyone sitting on our captain without being confronted this year.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I liked a lot of what we saw last night. Maroon is slow but he’s an asset in the zone. Faceoffs in the offensive zone I think that the top line will really excell on. However in transition it’s very evident the game is too fast for Pat. I’d hate to see him inhibit the skill and playmaking O’Reilly and Tarasenko have especially in transition.

it’s difficult to really predict how things are gonna play out from here as clearly our structure was poor and the little things are rusty/not cohesive yet.

It’s the first game a lot of those guys have played together and the system is new to many. Kyrou and Thomas stand out because in transition they are dynamic. Not so much in the cycle.

Will be interesting to see how the lines evolve because we have a ton of flexibility just need to find the right combo. Agreed that Kyrou with the Schwartz and Schenn line would be something worth testing and we’ve been saying that all offseason.

I don’t know if Maroon is a great fit anywhere truthfully, his game is not rounded it’s very much PP and cycling game. He’s not a matchup guy. Perhaps burying him on the 4th line is his eventual destiny with PP2 time.

Fabbri O’Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Steen Bozak Perron
Maroon Thomas Blais

These lines make the most sense to me. Two scoring lines and a matchup line with a fourth line with two fantastic finishers and our best passer.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Haven't gotten to see any of ROR and 91 together, how do they seem to mesh? Any better than 26 and 91?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It didn't seem like it last night. ROR plays very aggressive on the forecheck, I think Vlad is going to have to step up his aggressiveness to match it.
Vladi hasn't seemed fully engaged. Looks like he's still kinda feeling things out. Orielly is goin to be peddle to the metal for awhile. He wants to make a good impression if I had to guess. Not saying hell get lazy but he's not going to be looking at the preseason as just meaningless games

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Vladi hasn't seemed fully engaged. Looks like he's still kinda feeling things out. Orielly is goin to be peddle to the metal for awhile. He wants to make a good impression if I had to guess. Not saying hell get lazy but he's not going to be looking at the preseason as just meaningless games

Agreed. I think Tanks will come around and those two will work very well together its whoever is opposite Tanks that will be intriguing, I don't think Big Rig is the answer...

Reactions: Dbrownss

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I mean, doesn't he look like that about 90% of the time anyways?

Reactions: JHockey123

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad