Half-Assed GDT: Blues v Caps- Will Tom Wilson hurt one of our rookies Part 3?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well that's just fantastic to hear. :help:
We may just need hitch back, and have him barking in his ear, keeping him pissed off the whole game.
1cbjy6.jpg

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The second goal was just an all around **** show in the d-zone. Complete defensive breakdown. It would have been nice if Allen could've swallowed the rebound, but he made a good initial save and I believe it was tipped in front. Not much of a chance for him given Bouw, Parayko, and the forwards coverage on that one. If either Bouw or Parayko tied up their man then that goal doesn't happen.

I didn't mention this in my first comments on Allen's play, but after seeing the replay I will walk back my comments with a little harsher critique about the second goal. It happened on the other end of the ice from where I sit, so it was difficult to fully process the timing until I saw the replay. He does make the initial save, and as the puck drifts towards the far post he stands up and tries to skate back into position. To me, he should have moved quicker and pushed back to the far post to prevent the rebound shot (which didn't happen) or the cross-crease pass (which did) instead of getting to his feet. You could probably argue that he was too far out to be able to push back to the post in a timely manner, but to me that just speaks to a recurring theme with him that he gets himself too far out of position to be able to recover in the first place.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I didn't mention this in my first comments on Allen's play, but after seeing the replay I will walk back my comments with a little harsher critique about the second goal. It happened on the other end of the ice from where I sit, so it was difficult to fully process the timing until I saw the replay. He does make the initial save, and as the puck drifts towards the far post he stands up and tries to skate back into position. To me, he should have moved quicker and pushed back to the far post to prevent the rebound shot (which didn't happen) or the cross-crease pass (which did) instead of getting to his feet. You could probably argue that he was too far out to be able to push back to the post in a timely manner, but to me that just speaks to a recurring theme with him that he gets himself too far out of position to be able to recover in the first place.
Ehhh maybe Allen reacted a little slow to the rebound and could have shown for effort getting back to the post. Kind of feels like nit-picking tho.

Respectfully I'd suggest rewatching the goal at full speed again. It happens REALLY fast. The only real option Allen had to get back to the post before the puck was thrown to the slot would have been to dive on his stomach with arms extended and hope the Carlson didn't control the puck and pass it back to a player higher in the zone for a shot at the open net.

Considering how fast the play happened at full speed, fact that the puck was likely deflected on the initial shot, the horrid coverage by both defensmen, neither Schenn/Blais picking up the guy in the slot, etc...I'm not going to critique Allen too hard on that goal. It's not like Allen was way out of the crease, his heels are still in the blue paint for the initial save.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I DVR’d the game from NHL Network. Is it worth watching tonight?
It’s not particularly entertaining, so I wouldn’t if that’s all you are looking forward to. But if you want to get a look at some guys, then it could be worth it. Let’s just say I do not regret watching it, if that helps. seeing our guys against a quality opponent with physicality was useful.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->