Blues Trade Proposals Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'd hold onto Sobokta's rights personally. Although Rattie/Fabbri should be close..no guarantee. I'm really hoping Berglund has a strong showing. I could see Edm trading Pits 1st for him by himself

Hmm, wait were do you fit Sobotka?

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
He was great with Schwartz and Tarasenko on the 2nd last season. He can be the worker bee on any line and not be out of place.

He offers little to no offensive upside. Breaking up the STL or SOB line to fit him in there would be counter productive. We have plenty of worker bees who can produce offensively.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I doubt Army could done deal with Soby in off-season. Big payment and bottom 9-12 role. -"This is just business"

I think Soby ship has sailed away and Sobotka was my favourite player on Blues and NHL. If they can sort it out and Vlady could come back it would be great, but how everything did go I just don't believe anymore. That is why I'm thinking he would be great fit to Leafs group then Blues.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'd hold onto Sobokta's rights personally. Although Rattie/Fabbri should be close..no guarantee. I'm really hoping Berglund has a strong showing. I could see Edm trading Pits 1st for him by himself

Edmonton fans won't agree because of his point totals, and Derek Roy has looked serviceable for a few games. With the difficultly to acquire decent centres and the urgent need for Edmonton to be somewhat competitive next season... I could absolutely see the Blues getting the PIT 1st for Berglund.

Hmm, wait were do you fit Sobotka?

As bleedblue1223 said, Sobotka offers a realistic way to cut salary.

At the end of next season, we are probably going to have some pretty significant cap issues unless we make moves this summer. Armstrong is going to have to make a decision on David Backes at the end of this season. I wouldn't consider moving Sobotka until that situation was resolved.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Oddly enough...Edm fans are open to bergy for Pitts first. Just hammering out incentives both ways. Initial deal wasn't met with the usual hyperbole

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Berglund for a 1st round pick would be pretty amazing as far as I'm concerned.

He is exactly the type of player that the Oilers need, the UFA is very thin this year and solid centres are always difficult to acquire. If they are going into next season with RNH, Roy and a rookie as their top 9 centres then it is difficult to see them improving.

Berglund & Cole for the PIT 1st.
- or -
Berglund & Cole for the EDM 2nd & Bogdan Yakimov.

If they are serious about improving next year, then they'll need to be looking to move someone like Eberle for the defensive help they need. They aren't getting that for a late first.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yep that's how I see it. Berglund isnt going to win you games to say, but he's not going to cost you the game either. They are happy with roy...but he'll only add to their problem. I've seen some of his goals...very opportunistic . He's just not a solid player. Oilers need to stop trying to build through high draft picks...it ain't going to work

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Any line that isn't the 1st or 2nd.

I wouldn't put him on the 3rd line either.

He's not going to improve Stastny's line offensively one iota.

If he returns, he's a 4th liner. The team got better and he needs to be put where he's most effective, in a defensive checking role.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If we are going to add Sobotka right on trades how much value this would iincrease? Wouldnt this piece be more 'valuable' on off-season then now trade deadline?

Seriously Sobotka would be perfect fit to Leafs. (Polak also there)

I would love if we could get Komarov here in the 4th line. Dump Ott off-season.

What you guys think who is better McClement or Lapierre?

what lines you prefer as a 4th line?

Code:
Komarov - McClement - Reaves

or

Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

I prefer Lapierre over McClement, at least with how they are playing this season.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Truth be told, I like the fourth line as it is. They've got some chemistry together and they've shown the ability to be a huge pain in the rear for other teams while still generating some chances for themselves.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Truth be told, I like the fourth line as it is. They've got some chemistry together and they've shown the ability to be a huge pain in the rear for other teams while still generating some chances for themselves.

While that is true, I think Sobotka could be slotted in for either Lapierre or Ott very easily without them missing a beat. Sobotka would be in Ott's position, and then move up as an injury fill-in. He could fight for a role on a higher line in practice, but the reality is that he'd probably be on the 4th line with a fully healthy squad.

I don't understand this notion that he would refuse to return to the NHL if he isn't guaranteed better than 4th line minutes. Players have to earn ice time in the first place. And his contract for next season (if he comes back) already exists. If the Blues don't trade the rights, he doesn't have any recourse except to NOT come back to the NHL. If he isn't happy with the KHL or the issues with the currency (a pretty big issue at the moment), and he wants a future as an UFA the season after, why would he not come back and play for a year with the Blues?

Armstrong will find a place to fit him into things, or trade him. But it won't be because Sobotka forced a move.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
While that is true, I think Sobotka could be slotted in for either Lapierre or Ott very easily without them missing a beat. Sobotka would be in Ott's position, and then move up as an injury fill-in. He could fight for a role on a higher line in practice, but the reality is that he'd probably be on the 4th line with a fully healthy squad.

I don't understand this notion that he would refuse to return to the NHL if he isn't guaranteed better than 4th line minutes. Players have to earn ice time in the first place. And his contract for next season (if he comes back) already exists. If the Blues don't trade the rights, he doesn't have any recourse except to NOT come back to the NHL. If he isn't happy with the KHL or the issues with the currency (a pretty big issue at the moment), and he wants a future as an UFA the season after, why would he not come back and play for a year with the Blues?

Armstrong will find a place to fit him into things, or trade him. But it won't be because Sobotka forced a move.

I was referring to the idea or trading for Mcclement. You're spot on about Sobotka though. There's no doubt Sobotka would make the fourth line better over Ott. I should have been more clear.

I'd prefer to try to bring Sobotka back over next year. If possible, I'd like him in the fold for the foreseeable future. Super fourth line players like him can be very valuable.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I would rather just burn our year on Sobotka for a playoff run. Replacing Ott with Sobotka would be a bigger boost to this team than some people realize. While Ott certainly has gotten better this year, Sobotka is a far superior player to him.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
I'm all for bringing McClement back to the team. But I may be biased, I do have his jersey after all.....

It's more of what type of fourth line player would you prefer though. Lappy is obviously a guy that really gets under the other teams skin and can draw penalties. McClement on the other hand is probably in the top 5 for penalty killers in the league, and also another guy that's good in the faceoff circle.

Come playoff time, the top teams like LA and Chicago aren't going to fall for Lappy's irritation game, but killing off penalties could be huge for us. That's why I'd prefer McClement personally.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm all for bringing McClement back to the team. But I may be biased, I do have his jersey after all.....

It's more of what type of fourth line player would you prefer though. Lappy is obviously a guy that really gets under the other teams skin and can draw penalties. McClement on the other hand is probably in the top 5 for penalty killers in the league, and also another guy that's good in the faceoff circle.

Come playoff time, the top teams like LA and Chicago aren't going to fall for Lappy's irritation game, but killing off penalties could be huge for us. That's why I'd prefer McClement personally.

The McClement we knew was that guy. I'm not so sure he's still functioning at the level you're describing.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The difference between McClement and Lapierre makes zero difference in a playoff series, and that's not what is going to get us over the hump against teams like LA and Chicago.

Lapierre can kill penalties just fine and his faceoffs are at 55% (same as McClement). Going after a guy like McClement would be completely unnecessary and simply just a waste of time.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He offers little to no offensive upside. Breaking up the STL or SOB line to fit him in there would be counter productive. We have plenty of worker bees who can produce offensively.

Sobotka was on pace for 44 points and is a great possession player. He can work on any line that has another skill guy or 2 one it because he can work in the corners and get pucks for them and he has enough skill playmaking wise to make good passes and keep the link up plays going.

He will produce in the middle of Schwartz and Tarasenko, with some combo of SOB, and on Stastny's wing.

Consistent 40-50 point production is what you want out of the "role" players in the top 9. It's what we want out of Berglund, and the 40-50 point version of Berglund is good enough to slot on any line.

He'd start with Stastny and Jaskin or whoever, but he's of enough quality to slot on a top 9 line if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad