Blues Trade Proposals Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I have no doubts whatsoever that Sobotka would put up less goals than Berglund in his situation.

Berglund is on pace for 12 goals.....

Seriously Sobokta wouldn't be much worse working off Stastny.

I like Berglund but he's slipped into zero offensive threat. I wouldn't look to Sobokta for offense but he wouldn't that much behind Berglund, and considering the anemic production....it wouldn't be a difference maker

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think you guys underrated Berglund. He got potential to be in someday again 20 scorer. Maybe Patrik 'blossom out' in 3-4 years and this 3.7mill x 3 years is just genious deal by Army. Maybe Berglund is difference maker in playoffs, maybe cows will fly and Conn Smythe goes to Patrik Berglund.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think Sobotka would quite easily put up more points than Berglund has.

Anybody could, really. And Sobotka is just a better player than Berglund. I too feel people try denying this to justify him leaving.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sobotka's passing is actually pretty underrated. I think he creates more offense than Berglund does considering Berglund skates around with the puck and does nothing with it.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Berglund might score a few more goals than Sobotka but Sobotka would put up twice as many assists. Sobotka's passing game is quite proficient IMO, he's not a Patrick Kane, but he can find seams in the offensive zone.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is just wishful thinking and an attempt to overrate Sobotka and underrate Berglund in my opinion.

Sobotka has never, even when he played with Schwartz and Tarasenko, scored more than 9 goals in a season. Only has 9 goals in the KHL this year too. He's obviously not a goal scorer.

Hitch understands Sobotka very well, which means he'll largely see 4th line time barring an injury.

In a full season he would've had 12. Berglund isn't a 20 goal scorer any more, we can barely bank on 15 from him in a season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hitch had him as our 2nd line center last season and he centered our best line in the playoffs. He's one of Hitch's favorites and would definitely not be on the 4th line.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah anybody who thinks Sobotka will be on the 4th-line is out to lunch, IMO. At the very least he'd be playing over Jaskin (if we kept Berglund).

And even IF he started on the 4th line, I think by the 2nd period he'd be moved up ahead of Berglund/Jaskin or even splitting time on the 2nd line with Lehtera in case Hitch wanted more 'experience' or something in that role for the playoffs. Like it or not, you have to realize who the coach is and be honest with yourself about what will actually happen. Slotting him in Ott's spot and thinking they will play the same amount isn't that realistic, IMO. I know he left the team but he's also not a rookie so there's no need for him to "prove himself" and "earn ice time." Hitch knows who he is and knows his work ethic on the ice, so he would be rewarded.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Yeah anybody who thinks Sobotka will be on the 4th-line is out to lunch, IMO. At the very least he'd be playing over Jaskin (if we kept Berglund).

And even IF he started on the 4th line, I think by the 2nd period he'd be moved up ahead of Berglund/Jaskin or even splitting time on the 2nd line with Lehtera in case Hitch wanted more 'experience' or something in that role for the playoffs. Like it or not, you have to realize who the coach is and be honest with yourself about what will actually happen. Slotting him in Ott's spot and thinking they will play the same amount isn't that realistic, IMO. I know he left the team but he's also not a rookie so there's no need for him to "prove himself" and "earn ice time." Hitch knows who he is and knows his work ethic on the ice, so he would be rewarded.

Then I don't want him (if he'd be played over Jaskin). Jaskin needs to be in the NHL. The 3rd line role is perfect for him. He's a future top 6 player who doesn't have any more to prove in the AHL, and can contribute for the team right now.

I don't understand how Sobotka's career high of 9 goals is preferable to Berglund's meager 12 goal pace. Maybe because Sobotka is more fun to root for....but his legend has outgrown his accomplishments.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's like people forgot that he played above Berglund last season. He'd still easily be above him this season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He can do what Berglund does but brings a much more aggressive physical aspect.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It's like people forgot that he played above Berglund last season. He'd still easily be above him this season.

Right. And he still has a career high of 9 goals even with that great opportunity last season. His production hasn't been limited by his linemates, but by his offensive skill.

Again, I'm not arguing that keeping Berglund is the best move. I'm arguing that replacing Berglund...Sobotka is not the prototype you'd be looking for. You'd like to get someone with more offensive upside to line up with Jaskin and Stastny.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sobotka is more of a playmaker and can link plays up better than Berglund, and over the same amount of games last season as Berglund, he would've had 12 goals, not much less than what Berglund would get.

Adding a 20+ goal scorer would be great, but with our cap situation, it simply isn't realistic.

Stastny himself is a decent scorer that consistently gets around 25 over a full season, put him with guys that can play great on the cycle and win puck battles, and you have a successful line. Sobotka does that better than Berglund.

Sobotka-Stastny-Jaskin would be able to do very good things in tight spaces around the net because they'd finally have someone that can dominate the corners in Sobotka.

Sobotka has quality offensive skill, it just isn't his shooting ability. He's one of the best in the corners at winning pucks and keeping plays alive and is a quality passer and at times can make that great pass. He's a lesser version of Schwartz.

I've argued on this board that Berglund is still a quality player because of his all-round game, but Sobotka's all-round game is simply better. Our PK would be better with him, our center depth would be better with him, and Sobotka will get way more assists than Berglund, way more than the slight difference in goals.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Look I like Jaskin but would he make more of an impact in a playoff series than Sobotka? As a rookie right now, I really doubt it.

He has a good future but let's also stop acting like he's playing absolutely lights out. He's playing well yes, but he won't put up more points than Sobotka either. Nor will he contribute on the penalty kill, or in the faceoff circle if need be, etc.

And the playoffs aren't about giving a young player playing time. It's about trying to win the Cup. If that means Jaskin has to sit, I don't care and neither should anyone else.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If you want a Berglund replacement you're not going to get much better than Sobotka. Do some of you expect us to somehow snag JVR or something for our 3rd line? Where are we getting the cap space for this? Sobotka had 33 points in 61 games, is that not good enough to play on a 3rd line?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think one reason why our PK is so bad this season, 'cus our best PK'er Sobotka is out. Now we see Berglund and Lehterä on SH. Like Jori should only put focus on PP not PK.

OT.

Thou Jori has been quite bad on PP, they are keeping playmaker on front of net. That works with Backes PP unit, but not more skilled playmaking guys like Schwartz, Lehterä, Tarasenko.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Look I like Jaskin but would he make more of an impact in a playoff series than Sobotka? As a rookie right now, I really doubt it.

He has a good future but let's also stop acting like he's playing absolutely lights out. He's playing well yes, but he won't put up more points than Sobotka either. Nor will he contribute on the penalty kill, or in the faceoff circle if need be, etc.

And the playoffs aren't about giving a young player playing time. It's about trying to win the Cup. If that means Jaskin has to sit, I don't care and neither should anyone else.

I agree, BlueDream. Perry Turnbullfan is among those who want to see Jaskin for the playoffs and I can see why we would want to Unleash the Jaskin, but I think he would get exposed. I think one game in the 1st round would be good. If he plays well, then play him again later in the series. I would not want Hitch to play Jaskin multiple games in a row.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think one reason why our PK is so bad this season, 'cus our best PK'er Sobotka is out. Now we see Berglund and Lehterä on SH. Like Jori should only put focus on PP not PK.

OT.

Thou Jori has been quite bad on PP, they are keeping playmaker on front of net. That works with Backes PP unit, but not more skilled playmaking guys like Schwartz, Lehterä, Tarasenko.

Jori hasn't been bad on the PP, Stastny's unit has just been stealing all the thunder.

Lehterä sets up below the goal line, he may float up top of the crease for a point shot, but his main play is a give and go with Tarasenko from the below the line.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Moving on from the focused Sobotka discussion... we don't really have any cap worries going into next season. Assuming Sobotka returns, Tarasenko and Allen get $8m and our 3 depth players get $2m, we are at $69m with just our third pairing to deal with. We will obviously make moves, but we aren't particularly pressured into anything.

It also means that we could take a contract with some term at the deadline, even if we aren't sending salary in return. We have enough flexibility next season.

Backes is the biggest situation this summer. I think Armstrong risks losing him to UFA before he considers trade, if we really don't like the contract expectations. With Sobotka unlikely to sign an extension, can we trade Berglund without Backes signed?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Backes is a tricky one.....

Stastny got 7m and doesn't produce all that much more then Backes while Backes is a much better defensive centerman.

Backes has slowed down his physical play for a more cerebral game with the occasional big hit (Bergeron). So he might be looking to extend his longevity in the game.

It's going to be a tough decision....unless Stastny starts to put up 60+pt seasons...that contract looks to bite the Blues in the butt. Backes would probably take a discount but he also has to realize it's time to cash in too. Glad I'm not Armstrong

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Moving on from the focused Sobotka discussion... we don't really have any cap worries going into next season. Assuming Sobotka returns, Tarasenko and Allen get $8m and our 3 depth players get $2m, we are at $69m with just our third pairing to deal with. We will obviously make moves, but we aren't particularly pressured into anything.

It also means that we could take a contract with some term at the deadline, even if we aren't sending salary in return. We have enough flexibility next season.

Backes is the biggest situation this summer. I think Armstrong risks losing him to UFA before he considers trade, if we really don't like the contract expectations. With Sobotka unlikely to sign an extension, can we trade Berglund without Backes signed?

what about Schwartz?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
what about Schwartz?

Schwartz still has another year on his current deal.

Summer of 2016 we'll have to deal with raises to Schwartz, Lehterä, Backes, Jaškin and Gunnarsson. They are currently $13.2m, I doubt we'd be looking at less than $24m to retain them all beyond that.

In theory we could take a $10m jump, if the Canadian dollar recovers and we see growth in the salary cap and move the likes of Sobotka, Berglund and Ott (Gunnarsson or Jax as well). The problem is if Backes is going to look for $7m for 6/7 years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't look to keep Gunnarsson. Hopefully Lindbohm can replace him.

Backes at 7m would be a mistake unless the cap increases enough.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Schwartz still has another year on his current deal.

Summer of 2016 we'll have to deal with raises to Schwartz, Lehterä, Backes, Jaškin and Gunnarsson. They are currently $13.2m, I doubt we'd be looking at less than $24m to retain them all beyond that.

In theory we could take a $10m jump, if the Canadian dollar recovers and we see growth in the salary cap and move the likes of Sobotka, Berglund and Ott (Gunnarsson or Jax as well). The problem is if Backes is going to look for $7m for 6/7 years.

ah for some reason I misremembered that he signed a 2 year deal not a 1 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad