Blues Trade Proposals Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Even though it's "my idea" on the pick, I'm not overly thrilled with it. Would be fine with not doing it too. Zidlicky would slot onto the 3rd pairing, he's still a good skater and can move the puck. Also he can help out on the 2nd PP. I just really view our 3rd pairing as a weakness. Both Cole and Butler are fine at times but other times make terrible mistakes. Finding a RH shot isn't easy. Not really a needed upgrade but a cheap one if one was to be made.

Ah I see, I'm just not a huge fan of Zidlicky to be honest. Undersized and not great defensively from what I've seen, and I don't think his offensive ability can make up for it. I don't mind our 2nd PP with Pie and Bouw. Yeah, Bouwmeester is obsessed with looking for a deflection but it seems to be more effective lately. Our 3rd pairing is serviceable IMO, see how it looks once the trade deadline rolls around.

I don't feel comfortable trading another 1st for rentals who are marginal upgrades at best.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Traded the 2016 1st is off the table, no way we two years without a first. In fact i believe trading into the 1st this year is a big priority for armstrong.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think he'd like to, but I also don't think he'll succeed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see significant changes after this season, and some valuable players getting moved. Particularly if we don't make progress in the playoffs. I can see us picking in the first round.

The posters on the trade board might not want to move their 2015 first, but their jobs aren't linked to the success of the current team. GM's are always going to be more flexible with draft picks and prospects.

Hell... with the difficulty to acquire centres, Berglund for the PIT 1st isn't out of the question at the end of the season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ah I see, I'm just not a huge fan of Zidlicky to be honest. Undersized and not great defensively from what I've seen, and I don't think his offensive ability can make up for it. I don't mind our 2nd PP with Pie and Bouw. Yeah, Bouwmeester is obsessed with looking for a deflection but it seems to be more effective lately. Our 3rd pairing is serviceable IMO, see how it looks once the trade deadline rolls around.

I don't feel comfortable trading another 1st for rentals who are marginal upgrades at best.

Yea I'm not beating the war drum for it to happen. I'm positive we could beat them down to accept less, but I hate getting into value arguments, I just wanted to see where they started out at.

I think that since we're looking to upgrade depth, we'd have an advantage. It's why I'm looking for more meh upgrade then trying to make a huge splash trade. What does the rest of the league value Jagr and Zidlicky at? If cap space wasn't an issue, the price would be cheaper.

I've seen a few guys mention Stafford before, I don't watch Buffalo games but reading his Scouting report, he seems like an ideal target if cheap. He's physical with a good shot, and a big body. I watched the Detroit game last night, he looks extremely disinterested in playing but that could be due to a losing environment

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Yea I'm not beating the war drum for it to happen. I'm positive we could beat them down to accept less, but I hate getting into value arguments, I just wanted to see where they started out at.

I think that since we're looking to upgrade depth, we'd have an advantage. It's why I'm looking for more meh upgrade then trying to make a huge splash trade. What does the rest of the league value Jagr and Zidlicky at? If cap space wasn't an issue, the price would be cheaper.

Židlický could probably be had cheap at the deadline. Jágr is different because the rental market is so thin for forwards this year. He won't get a first, I'd imagine he goes to the team that offers the better prospect with their 2nd.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I think to many people are in favor of making a trade just to make a trade I really don't see any of these moves being the trade to put us over the top. I think even with these trades we still would have about the same chance for a cup. I don't think and really make us a "better" team. Just slightly different.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think to many people are in favor of making a trade just to make a trade I really don't see any of these moves being the trade to put us over the top. I think even with these trades we still would have about the same chance for a cup. I don't think and really make us a "better" team. Just slightly different.

This sums up most of the Berglund proposals.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
To seemingly most fans, the idea of being "Berglund-less" makes us better.

Well, that was true with Stewart, and arguable with Perron (when you factor in salary cap and ice time). But I don't think its true with the version of Berglund who has found some chemistry as a third line winger. I wish he'd get 3 goals in 4 games or something, just a little positive mojo.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Possible candidates:

:leafs:

LW James Van Riemsdyk
LW Mike Santorelli
LW David Booth
C Daniel Winnick
C Trevor Smith
LW Troy Bodie
RD Korbinian Holzer
LD Jake Gardiner

:canes:

RW Patrick Dwyer
LW Jiri Tlusty
LD Tim Gleason
LD Andrej Sekera
RD Brett Bellemore
C Jay McClement

After eliminating those that would cost too much to acquire, are probably not for sale, and don't fill a need we have, we're left with the bold. Assuming a 1-1 team trade.

If we're looking for depth:

C McClement
RW Dwyer

If we're looking for an 'upgrade', these are the best available, but are probably lateral at best:

LW Mike Santorelli
LW Troy Bodie
LW Jiri Tlusty
LD Jake Gardiner
LD Tim Gleason

My bet:
Tim Gleason, Jake Gardiner, Jay McClement

If we're doing a three-team trade, I could see us going after bigger pieces, but I would not be excited about it.

Roman Polak :sarcasm:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I don't think a single one of the bolded guys would be an upgrade on anything we have except maybe Tlusty. We shouldn't be making a trade just for the sake of making a trade

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Uh, why would we be scouting Jay McClement? That doesn't even make a bit of sense.

Because, y'know, Armstrong already knows who he is and we don't have a need for a 4th-line center.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Do they scout teams in person for competition reasons? Carolina gave them some issues last time.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If we are going to add Sobotka right on trades how much value this would iincrease? Wouldnt this piece be more 'valuable' on off-season then now trade deadline?

Seriously Sobotka would be perfect fit to Leafs. (Polak also there)

I would love if we could get Komarov here in the 4th line. Dump Ott off-season.

What you guys think who is better McClement or Lapierre?

what lines you prefer as a 4th line?

Code:
Komarov - McClement - Reaves

or

Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I mean teams just scout every other team. Who knows what if anything will happen

Exactly this! We all know that Army is a stone-cold hustler. Part of scouting, I am guessing, is brinkmanship and trickery. It is a way to deceive others in order to drive the market.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I feel that we will either stand pat or trade for someone like Jagr at the deadline to put on Stastny's wing.

Roll with
Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Berglund-Stastny-Jagr
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves

Then in the offseason we can cut Jagr loose and try to deal Berglund at the draft. I think we could get back into the first round trading Berglund+Sobotka's Rights+ Prospect depending on where the pick is. One to look at would be PIT pick that the Oilers own. It will more than likely fall in the 20s somewhere and it has been hinted last summer that the Oilers are interested in Berglund.

Then next year we run with these lines

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Jaskin-Stastny-Fabbri/Rattie
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd hold onto Sobokta's rights personally. Although Rattie/Fabbri should be close..no guarantee. I'm really hoping Berglund has a strong showing. I could see Edm trading Pits 1st for him by himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad