Blues Trade Proposals 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1320

Well, I think its good to have discussion for why we have 3 offensive dmen and we have gone worse in transition game. Ofc its depends what forwards do, but this team really are missing dmen who can see the open areas on passing and if there isn't passing he can carry by himself. We miss Pietro and Parayko on that part. Krug, Faulk and Dunn are good bringing puck up at powerplay, but they all lack of skill for doing it 5on5.

I'm not gonna bash how poor Krug, Faulk and Dunn are defensively, 'cus that is pretty no-brainer imo. Their best atributes are offensive game and should be in transition game, but its really worrisome at this stage. Faulk and Dunn has improve their games, but its not that promising if Krug and Faulk have 7-year contracts in here. Too much for my liking.

We now just have to hope Parayko comes back what he use to be, if not we're really in deep trouble defensively.

I don't view as a success if we 'cruise' to the playoffs in this division. That should be certain how poor other teams are in this division. I don't know is it too much asking can we realistically win Vegas or Colorado at 1st round. I'm more seeing it that we're big underdog against them.

Injuries are just excuse. We had injuries in Cup run and every player who came up fill that spot. It didn't make team bad. I also view we lack of identity and its really reason we don't have anymore Pietro, Jbo, Steen, Maroon and Allen in our team who were foundation for this team success, off ice and on ice.
The injuries that the team went through during the cup run are NOTHING like the injuries they're dealing with now. You really go out of your way to dog on this version of the team for whatever reason, and it's mind boggling.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
He wasn’t as good as hoped last year, but he was still okay. Had some bad luck. Every reason to believe that he is healthy will be real asset next few years. Back end of the contract could get dicey.

the backend is always dicey on long term contracts, but what will he be at the end... 33.. 34? too lazy to look it up, and math is always a problem for me anyways

I understand the whole 'he wasn't very good the 1st year we got him'.. lots of extenuating circumstances there, but, he seems to have figured it out, and by the looks of things, he's got the pedal down and ain't letting up.
now, is he a defensive stalwart? no, that's not his strength, but... he's really been very good in his own end. that can't be said for LOTS of players right now, D and F.. ugh
hopefully having Mikkola in there long term will help that. he's gonna have growing pains, but he's a better option than others that are being run out there. and, IMO, he'll get better with playing time.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Yes and i remember those as I remember these what qualify Allen as at best back-goaltender, doesn't have head to manage to play #1 role. Shakey jakey. Kitten soft.

I don't wanna pile on here, but (I know.. the inevitable BUT) Allen got a LOT of leash for that ONE playoff series.
The blues thought he'd be a #1 and signed him as such. unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. but after the contract is signed, it's too late to take it back.
he seems to be better as a 2 or 1b, however ya wanna look at it, and good for him. I'm just glad the Blues have moved on. he is what he is, and that's a guy that is pretty good that will always give up the back breaking weak/soft goals.
The Blues did not make a mistake by moving on from him

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don't wanna pile on here, but (I know.. the inevitable BUT) Allen got a LOT of leash for that ONE playoff series.
The blues thought he'd be a #1 and signed him as such. unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. but after the contract is signed, it's too late to take it back.
he seems to be better as a 2 or 1b, however ya wanna look at it, and good for him. I'm just glad the Blues have moved on. he is what he is, and that's a guy that is pretty good that will always give up the back breaking weak/soft goals.
The Blues did not make a mistake by moving on from him
I’m not glad they moved on. I’d have preferred to keep him, but he was too good to afford as a back-up goalie. Husso (currently) is a significant step down, but also much cheaper. Hopefully he’ll become just as good and be a bargain for a couple years, but it’s possible he fizzles out. If we could have paid Allen what Husso is earning, almost no one would prefer Husso.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I’m not glad they moved on. I’d have preferred to keep him, but he was too good to afford as a back-up goalie. Husso (currently) is a significant step down, but also much cheaper. Hopefully he’ll become just as good and be a bargain for a couple years, but it’s possible he fizzles out. If we could have paid Allen what Husso is earning, almost no one would prefer Husso.

it's a cap world, so is what it is. and like I said, Allen has his contract. there's no backsies there so saying paying Allen what Husso is making is apples and oranges. you're talking about a guy that's been in the league for quite awhile vs a kid that's a backup in a covid season in his first year. And I know I'm not in the minority here... LOTS of people are glad Allen is gone.

I'm not saying Husso is the next Joseph, he might very well fizzle out. but I'll give him more than 5 games

Reactions: Meatball

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
it's a cap world, so is what it is. and like I said, Allen has his contract. there's no backsies there so saying paying Allen what Husso is making is apples and oranges. you're talking about a guy that's been in the league for quite awhile vs a kid that's a backup in a covid season in his first year. And I know I'm not in the minority here... LOTS of people are glad Allen is gone.

I'm not saying Husso is the next Joseph, he might very well fizzle out. but I'll give him more than 5 games
Some of the comments don’t acknowledge the Cap and act like Allen was a bad player. As a 2nd goalie, he was a fantastic player...probably the best in the league at that position. The problem with Allen was that he wasn’t good enough to be the starter we wanted, but too good to be an affordable back-up. Ideally, I’d want the two best starters in the league as my 2 goalies, if they can adjust to splitting starts. But they’d want to get paid.

I think the grace Allen showed during Binnington’s ascension was a valuable contribution to the Cup team that gets pretty easily ignored. By every account I’ve seen, he was a model teammate and part of a good locker room.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Some of the comments don’t acknowledge the Cap and act like Allen was a bad player. As a 2nd goalie, he was a fantastic player...probably the best in the league at that position. The problem with Allen was that he wasn’t good enough to be the starter we wanted, but too good to be an affordable back-up. Ideally, I’d want the two best starters in the league as my 2 goalies, if they can adjust to splitting starts. But they’d want to get paid.

I think the grace Allen showed during Binnington’s ascension was a valuable contribution to the Cup team that gets pretty easily ignored. By every account I’ve seen, he was a model teammate and part of a good locker room.

this isn't personal against Allen. by all accounts he was a very amenable and gracious teammate when Binny took over. good for him.

and sure, who wouldn't want the best 2 goalies on their roster. in a cap world, it's just not very feasible. and it's not that Allen was too good to be an affordable backup, he was too expensive. there's cap issues on this roster, and 4+m for a backup goalie is an easy cut.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
My anger as well as other's probably stemmed from the fact that Allen was signed as a starter, played as a starter, and then when the going got tough and he proved he couldn't handle the load, whether mentally or physically, we kept putting him in the starting position. Allen as a 2 mil goalie is a fantastic deal and he has proved time and time again with a less workload, he is no doubt one of the best backups you could ask for. The problem is that he will always overperform as a backup which people take as he could be a starter, and then someone I'm sure will offer him more than he's worth. I'm not mad Allen is gone but more so disappointed we didn't have an opportunity to keep him at a cheaper cost. It all worked out for us and him and this is the salary cap era, but he was a good guy and a good player. No hard feelings

Reactions: Thallis

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I miss having a backup as good as Allen and I'm really happy to see him thrive in the NHL's craziest market.

His development during and since Binnington's emergence has been a remarkable story for me. Something just clicked 'ON' and he's been one of the league's best 1B's for a few seasons now continuing into his time in MTL. Really proud of how he handled everything and how great a teammate he was and so its rewarding to me to see him do well.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
My anger as well as other's probably stemmed from the fact that Allen was signed as a starter, played as a starter, and then when the going got tough and he proved he couldn't handle the load, whether mentally or physically, we kept putting him in the starting position. Allen as a 2 mil goalie is a fantastic deal and he has proved time and time again with a less workload, he is no doubt one of the best backups you could ask for. The problem is that he will always overperform as a backup which people take as he could be a starter, and then someone I'm sure will offer him more than he's worth. I'm not mad Allen is gone but more so disappointed we didn't have an opportunity to keep him at a cheaper cost. It all worked out for us and him and this is the salary cap era, but he was a good guy and a good player. No hard feelings
Allen being forced into the starting role wasn’t exactly his fault though. I mean at some point when the player proves he’s in a role he’s not capable of handling, you’ve got to look at the coaching staff and management. You’ve got to have a coaching staff that can recognize and put players in the best position to succeed.

Kudos to Berube for actually having the stones to make a switch. And kudos to Allen for being a phenomenal teammate.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Allen being forced into the starting role wasn’t exactly his fault though. I mean at some point when the player proves he’s in a role he’s not capable of handling, you’ve got to look at the coaching staff and management. You’ve got to have a coaching staff that can recognize and put players in the best position to succeed.

Kudos to Berube for actually having the stones to make a switch. And kudos to Allen for being a phenomenal teammate.
Oh I'm definitely not saying it's his fault. I mean what is he going to do, say no? He'd be crazy to do something like that. Once he started to show cracks in his game over mentality or what ever it may have been, that's when you should start looking or investing in a guy who could help ease the burden on him. Like I said though, everything worked out for us and him and he's doing great in Montreal. I hope for the best for him

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
watching him, it's night and day. it's obvious 'something' was going on that was keeping him from being the player he is right now.
he's been arguably the Blues' best player this season. if this keeps up, and right now watching him I don't see why it wouldn't, that contract will be VERY palatable
but, someone else needs to step up. Faulk had over 28 mins ice time the other night. that can't keep up. Parayko being out really hurts the D. and Dunn being...well, not very good, isn't helping.
it's early for Krug, but there's some disturbing trends I'm noticing that I'm keeping an eye out for. hopefully he figures out a way to deal with it
Well, the easy answer there is because no player plays well all the time. Shattenkirk had long stretches where he was a world beater, literally carrying the team for stretches both with and without Pietrangelo in the lineup, to the point where some were calling him the best defenseman on the team, and then all of a sudden he's going through a stretch where people are calling him a one-dimensional third pairing liability. Tarasenko went through stretches where people thought he would contend for the league MVP as a 50 goal PPG+ guy, and then all of a sudden he's playing so bad that people are calling for the team to trade him before the rest of the league catches on that he's "just a 15-20 goal guy" moving forward.

Yes, we really had all those conversations here.

You think Faulk will continue to play this well for the next 6.5 years and that his current level of play will essentially be his baseline over that time? I'll wager pretty much anything you want that he won't. He's clearly not a 20 goal, +59 player (current season rates prorated over 82 games). While he might not ever play as badly as he did for long stretches of his first season here again, he's also pretty clearly not going to sustain his current results, either.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Well, the easy answer there is because no player plays well all the time. Shattenkirk had long stretches where he was a world beater, literally carrying the team for stretches both with and without Pietrangelo in the lineup, to the point where some were calling him the best defenseman on the team, and then all of a sudden he's going through a stretch where people are calling him a one-dimensional third pairing liability. Tarasenko went through stretches where people thought he would contend for the league MVP as a 50 goal PPG+ guy, and then all of a sudden he's playing so bad that people are calling for the team to trade him before the rest of the league catches on that he's "just a 15-20 goal guy" moving forward.

Yes, we really had all those conversations here.

You think Faulk will continue to play this well for the next 6.5 years and that his current level of play will essentially be his baseline over that time? I'll wager pretty much anything you want that he won't. He's clearly not a 20 goal, +59 player (current season rates prorated over 82 games). While he might not ever play as badly as he did for long stretches of his first season here again, he's also pretty clearly not going to sustain his current results, either.

I do believe that his contract will age well, and I sure do not remember anyone calling Tarasenko "just a 15-20 goal guy". when did that happen?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I do believe that his contract will age well, and I sure do not remember anyone calling Tarasenko "just a 15-20 goal guy". when did that happen?
I dont remember explicitly people calling him a 15-20 goal guy, but there was a point where he looked disengaged, didn't want to work for pucks, just floated around on the ice, and wasn't scoring like he normally does. Could've started in 17-18 and continued into 18-19 before we hired Berube, but I remember a lot of people including myself were wondering what Tarasenko's longevity would be if this kept up. I remember going from "He could hit 50 with a playmaker" to "Dude is barely going to get 30 this year if he's lucky"

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
According to the trade board the Athletic is speculating Hall’s trade value is a 2nd. Army wanted Hall when he was trying to trade Shattenkirk. No clue if Hall is on Army’s radar but his track record with Buffalo is pretty good.

Hall with 50% retention for a 2nd in 2022 and something now like Sanford.

Hall ROR Tarasenko
Kyrou Thomas Perron
Schwartz Schenn Hoffman
Barbashev Bozak Sundqvist

I could live with that depth (mix the lines however you want it’s still pretty crazy depth)

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Years back, when he was coming off one of his shoulder injuries and his shot just didn't look the same right away. I had multiple conversations with people advocating that we trade him now before the league figures out he's ruined (paraphrased), and at least a handful of people expressed the notion that he was at best a 20 goal guy moving forward.

I'd link the conversations, but they were from threads purged in the platform switch over from VBulletin.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Years back, when he was coming off one of his shoulder injuries and his shot just didn't look the same right away. I had multiple conversations with people advocating that we trade him now before the league figures out he's ruined (paraphrased), and at least a handful of people expressed the notion that he was at best a 20 goal guy moving forward.

I'd link the conversations, but they were from threads purged in the platform switch over from VBulletin.

no worries, just odd since he's only had 1 year under 30 goals since his 2nd season, and I believe that was last year? I'd look it up but too lazy

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
no worries, just odd since he's only had 1 year under 30 goals since his 2nd season, and I believe that was last year? I'd look it up but too lazy

There were a lot of fans who wanted to trade him for prospects like Bellows and other NYIs when the team was stinking it up prior to winning the cup. I think most of those kids they wanted have busted. Lots of knee jerk reaction per usual around here. Same people wanted to trade CP for Nylander......

I did suggest moving him last year as a means to free up cap space for Pie. I would have preferred to move him over Schwartz. It was prior to his 3rd shoulder surgery.

At this point he doesn’t have a lot of value due to risk so I wouldn’t trade him.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

It's not just Tarasenko. It was Schwartz when he put up 13 points in the 2013 shortened season. It was Pietrangelo when he got sent back to juniors in 2009-10 after getting the 9-game trial in 2008-09. It was Oshie when he got arrested for being drunk and peeing in an elevator at UND. It was Perron with white skates. On and on and on. Meanwhile, people got absolutely giddy over Brett Sonne scoring 50 in the W and winning Player of the Year honors as a 20-year old and permanent inked him into a top-6 spot for years to come, among others. They went cuckoo over Rattie for all the points he put up in Portland and had him stamped on our top line once he left juniors. Jaskin after a season in Moncton. Hell, go way back to guys like Konstantin Barulin and Alexei Shkotov and it was WE GOTTA HAVE THEM HERE, GIVE THEM WHATEVER THEY WANT!

There's hits, and there's misses. Things change along a player's career as they go pro, get experience, get hurt. It's how hockey scouting goes. But the way Blues fans go hyper-hyperbolic about guys and will switch lanes of thought on the drop of a pebble of sand is enough to give anyone vertigo if you watch long enough.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It was at its worst after one bad mid-season slump where he had something like 3 goals in a 15-20 game stretch.

He ended up closing out the season with something like 12 goals in his last 24 games.

That was a roller-coaster of a year for Tarasenko opinions. :laugh:

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
It was at its worst after one bad mid-season slump where he had something like 3 goals in a 15-20 game stretch.

He ended up closing out the season with something like 12 goals in his last 24 games.

That was a roller-coaster of a year for Tarasenko opinions. :laugh:

things you can count on in life... death, taxes and fans overreacting on a message board lol

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
It's not just Tarasenko. It was Schwartz when he put up 13 points in the 2013 shortened season. It was Pietrangelo when he got sent back to juniors in 2009-10 after getting the 9-game trial in 2008-09. It was Oshie when he got arrested for being drunk and peeing in an elevator at UND. It was Perron with white skates. On and on and on. Meanwhile, people got absolutely giddy over Brett Sonne scoring 50 in the W and winning Player of the Year honors as a 20-year old and permanent inked him into a top-6 spot for years to come, among others. They went cuckoo over Rattie for all the points he put up in Portland and had him stamped on our top line once he left juniors. Jaskin after a season in Moncton. Hell, go way back to guys like Konstantin Barulin and Alexei Shkotov and it was WE GOTTA HAVE THEM HERE, GIVE THEM WHATEVER THEY WANT!

There's hits, and there's misses. Things change along a player's career as they go pro, get experience, get hurt. It's how hockey scouting goes. But the way Blues fans go hyper-hyperbolic about guys and will switch lanes of thought on the drop of a pebble of sand is enough to give anyone vertigo if you watch long enough.

add Jori Lehtera to that list. I remember on 'the other board' folks followed him for a few years and wanted him here BAD. to his credit, he at least had a good year.. year and a half here.. then somehow forgot how to skate

there was also an offensive dman that one of the folks on the other board just LOVED (almost to a creepy extent.. gathering memorabelia..etc) that came over for like 5 games and never heard from him again. want to say his last name started with a J but I could just be guessing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad