Blues Trade Proposals 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I think the Jets will look more for a Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen type of return, than a group of secondary pieces.

If i was their GM and i even consider moving him, im getting a top pairing defender in return.

I just dont think the Blues line up as good trading partners, and add to that they are division rivals, i dont see a trade coming to fruition.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think the Jets will look more for a Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen type of return, than a group of secondary pieces.

If i was their GM and i even consider moving him, im getting a top pairing defender in return.

I just dont think the Blues line up as good trading partners, and add to that they are division rivals, i dont see a trade coming to fruition.
They would likely ask for Thomas +. Nope.

Reactions: sfvega

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Is Josh Ho-Sang free agent? Now would be time for acquire boom/bust type of player in AHL squad.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Is Josh Ho-Sang free agent? Now would be time for acquire boom/bust type of player in AHL squad.
Worth a flier IMO, esp. considering the Tarasenko situation. He's never cracking the Islanders lineup with Lou at the helm and a player-oriented coach like Berube might help. Or not-but if it costs a 4-6th rounder, whatever.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Laine is a pipe dream. Hoffman is a more realistic acquisition, but not sure we're in on him either. If we could trade Dunn for a later 1st round pick and add Hoffman with the savings, I would feel a lot better about this team in the short and long-term.

Reactions: Note fan in Big D

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Worth a flier IMO, esp. considering the Tarasenko situation. He's never cracking the Islanders lineup with Lou at the helm and a player-oriented coach like Berube might help. Or not-but if it costs a 4-6th rounder, whatever.

Islanders qualified him and Ho-Sang filed for salary arbitration, so he isn't a free agent. I'm a bit surprised the Islanders qualified him in the first place as they waived him last season. I wouldn't use a pick to get him, he'll be on waivers again before opening night.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Laine is a pipe dream. Hoffman is a more realistic acquisition, but not sure we're in on him either. If we could trade Dunn for a later 1st round pick and add Hoffman with the savings, I would feel a lot better about this team in the short and long-term.

There is no "cap savings" by trading Dunn.
Right now, Dunn has no contract and as such isn't counting towards the Cap at all.
If/when he signs, we will technically be over the Cap until Vladdy/Steen can officially go on LTIR.

Army is going to have to do some crafty paperwork to get compliant for the start of the season as it is(probably start with less than a 23 man roster and anyone who doesn't have to clear waivers will be "sent down" and then recalled the next day). Adding Hoffman before we can officially put those 2 on IR would make it nearly impossible to shuffle the paperwork around to squeeze guys in. Regardless of what we do with Dunn, IMO the upper limit of what we can "add" is in the 2-2.5 mil range(meaning any combination of moves that include Dunn or another addition). Short of an outright Cap dump, we don't have enough waiver-exempt players to finagle too much more space than that.

This is just speculation; but I have a strong suspicion that Army will bring in a high profile PTO to training camp with the intention of signing them after the LTIR situation is handled. I can't see any of the top-end targets being willing to play that game(maybe Granlund but I think he gets a decent offer once Hoffman is off the board). At best, I think you're looking at a guy like Huala or Melker Karlsson who just aren't going to get a good UFA offer with the current market(competition for Kyrou but not a legit top 6 option).

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Right now, Dunn has no contract and as such isn't counting towards the Cap at all.
If/when he signs, we will technically be over the Cap until Vladdy/Steen can officially go on LTIR.

Army is going to have to do some crafty paperwork to get compliant for the start of the season as it is(probably start with less than a 23 man roster and anyone who doesn't have to clear waivers will be "sent down" and then recalled the next day). Adding Hoffman before we can officially put those 2 on IR would make it nearly impossible to shuffle the paperwork around to squeeze guys in. Regardless of what we do with Dunn, IMO the upper limit of what we can "add" is in the 2-2.5 mil range(meaning any combination of moves that include Dunn or another addition). Short of an outright Cap dump, we don't have enough waiver-exempt players to finagle too much more space than that.

This is just speculation; but I have a strong suspicion that Army will bring in a high profile PTO to training camp with the intention of signing them after the LTIR situation is handled. I can't see any of the top-end targets being willing to play that game(maybe Granlund but I think he gets a decent offer once Hoffman is off the board). At best, I think you're looking at a guy like Huala or Melker Karlsson who just aren't going to get a good UFA offer with the current market(competition for Kyrou but not a legit top 6 option).
Honestly I would be pretty happy to get Granland on like a 1 or 2 year deal for 3 mil. He didn't play very well in Nashville, so I think that probably hurts his stock, but I think he would do well here, especially since he was playing center in Minnesota for a a bit and took some faceoffs in Nashville, so there's some utility there. He is a good passer, but just seems to have been on some teams that were either bad or just not really offense oriented, so I think he could be valuable here while Tarasenko is on LTIR.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I don’t see how we have any room on our roster to add a top 9 player. Kyrou and Kostin need to play.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

That's really just semantics. We may end up not having the space to sign Hoffman, depending on what other moves are (or aren't, Bozak) made and what his ask for a short deal is in a down market. But as it stands now, we have to pay Dunn. If we moved him for a pick, we would not have to pay Dunn. By definition, that is saving. I'm not trying to imply that was have all this empty cap space, what I'm saying is that if we can take X mil of space we allotted for Dunn and use it towards Hoff, that's a no-brainer. I still absolutely think it's a long-shot we get him. These are all hypotheticals.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Honestly I would be pretty happy to get Granland on like a 1 or 2 year deal for 3 mil. He didn't play very well in Nashville, so I think that probably hurts his stock, but I think he would do well here, especially since he was playing center in Minnesota for a a bit and took some faceoffs in Nashville, so there's some utility there. He is a good passer, but just seems to have been on some teams that were either bad or just not really offense oriented, so I think he could be valuable here while Tarasenko is on LTIR.
Not really liking where you are going here, lol. I thought our defense was what made us successful, and I am hoping that continues. The recent changes to our roster has me a bit nervous about that, however. As for Granlund, I just don't think we need to get any smaller or softer.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kyrou yes, I don't think Kostin is ready quite yet, mid season maybe, but not just yet. I don't want to rush the kids into the NHL or a top 9/top 4 spot before they are ready.

I don’t disagree, but if you play him now, he’ll get better and better as the season goes. He’s physically ready. Give him 3rd line minutes and go from there.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I don’t disagree, but if you play him now, he’ll get better and better as the season goes. He’s physically ready. Give him 3rd line minutes and go from there.
Kinda like how we put Oshie, Perron, and Berglund into positions before they were ready? Or oilers with Yakapov or PRV? I'm cool with playing players if they are ready, but we could just as easily destroy their progress by playing them too soon.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kinda like how we put Oshie, Perron, and Berglund into positions before they were ready? Or oilers with Yakapov or PRV? I'm cool with playing players if they are ready, but we could just as easily destroy their progress by playing them too soon.

Kostin isn’t a finesse type of player. He plays a mans game. I think he could play the 3rd line right now

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
When we drafted Kostin I initially had him as breaking out at the earliest in 2020-21. He ended up taking what imo was the hardest development path by going straight to the AHL and so incremental improvements in production were to be expected. I still have concerns about his ability to keep up at the NHL level and I'd prefer to see him continue to work on being a dominant AHLer before he gets another look here.

Kyrou is ready now and I really want to see him integrated into our PK unit asap. He has some serious potential with his speed and skating ability not only making him potentially a good defensive force to pressure point men up high but also as a breakaway offensive threat if he does happen to get hold of a puck. With Tarasenko and PK mainstay Alex Steen out to start the season Kyrou has a golden opportunity.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He may be physically ready, but his limited production in AHL (and now KHL) don't suggest he currently has NHL-level game.

I don’t put too much stock in production. Too many variables go into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad