Blues Trade Proposals 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Ok so in that case what do you think a realistic pure picks for Dunn deal would look like?
Pick #20 - 31 (32 now, I suppose) + a 2nd/3rd in some future year.

There will be a team in that spot that would like to acquire a defenseman that’s young and playing a pretty darn good level in that range. Those teams will all liken themselves as playoff contenders and wish to improve in some way. Adding a player that will help now and in the future is very valuable to those teams. They will gladly spend at least a 1st in hopes of finding that improvement. It will more likely happen after the start of the season, but I wouldn’t doubt that’s the price some team would pay.

Reactions: TK 421

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I think when it comes to a Dunn swap, our target needs to be a young expansion-draft exempt forward that can make an impact as soon as this season.

We need to continue to be all in on this core for the next 4-5 years.

2-2nds doesnt even move the needle.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Dunn could sign an offersheet up to 4M and some change and the Blues would only receive a 2nd.

His value is likely impacted by his RFA status right now.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
If a team was really interested in Dunn, they would offersheet him for under 4M and lose a 2nd instead of paying a 1st+.

Good chance the Blues don't match at that AAV.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What if Scandella is out? Make a room for Dunn?

Now Im trying to think like Army.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
If a team was really interested in Dunn, they would offersheet him for under 4M and lose a 2nd instead of paying a 1st+.

Good chance the Blues don't match at that AAV.
Any other time or year I guess I'd be a little worried about that, but:
1) Would Dunn even sign a 1 year deal as an offer sheet (no one is paying 4 mil over 3 seasons for him)
2) Why would any GM overspend 2 mil on a player that is barely worth 2 mil right now
3) The flat cap (and Covid) is a hell of a handcuff

I'm not even the least bit concerned about him signing an offer sheet.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Any other time or year I guess I'd be a little worried about that, but:
1) Would Dunn even sign a 1 year deal as an offer sheet (no one is paying 4 mil over 3 seasons for him)
2) Why would any GM overspend 2 mil on a player that is barely worth 2 mil right now
3) The flat cap (and Covid) is a hell of a handcuff

I'm not even the least bit concerned about him signing an offer sheet.
The best thing Dunn can do if he is staying is take a cheap 1 year "prove it" bridge deal and seize the opportunity with his play to force the coaching staff to pair him with Parayko because they play well together. That would set him up for a decent, longer term deal next offseason. No one is giving him $20M (essentially 5 x $4M) on an offer sheet based on his resume.

Reactions: ezcreepin

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Why wouldn't Dunn sign an offer sheet for 1 year at 3-4M vs the 1M 1 year deal he is likely to get from the Blues? Blues are going to give him a contract similar to what San Jose did with Kevin LeBlanc last year. If he signs the 1-year offer sheet, his QO next season will be 1.05% of his 2020-2021 salary and he will have arbitration rights.

If I'm Dunn and I see the commitment to Scandella and Krug with Mikkola and Perunovich pushing for time, I'd be considering my other options.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Why wouldn't Dunn sign an offer sheet for 1 year at 3-4M vs the 1M 1 year deal he is likely to get from the Blues? Blues are going to give him a contract similar to what San Jose did with Kevin LeBlanc last year. If he signs the 1-year offer sheet, his QO next season will be 1.05% of his 2020-2021 salary and he will have arbitration rights.

If I'm Dunn and I see the commitment to Scandella and Krug with Mikkola and Perunovich pushing for time, I'd be considering my other options.
If a team offers him only one year at $4M and they don't feel he is worth qualifying at $4.2M for the following season, they have wasted a 2nd round pick on an underperforming player for one year and them let him walk so as not to throw good money after bad. Sure there is upside potential if he has a good year, I just don't think this option is as enticing to the other 30 teams in the NHL as you are making it out to be.

Reactions: ezcreepin

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think there are a lot of people on the forum right now that are using old comparables to make assumptions about what people should get for contracts. Those days are over for at least the next three years.

Reactions: Ranksu and Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think there are a lot of people on the forum right now that are using old comparables to make assumptions about what people should get for contracts. Those days are over for at least the next three years.
Yeah, until real cash revenue increases and the salary cap increases, deals are going to be different. It's why Hall had to take a 1 year deal, likely why Hoffman will have to take one. Teams in good positions can probably still give contracts that seem normal, but the market is in an odd place, especially if there is a significant chunk of teams looking to stay at the bottom end of the salary cap range.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m watching closely to see just how the arbitration contracts reflect this. My guess is they get awarded contracts that look like historical comparisons, which equates with being a little overpaid in a pandemic.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
What do you think it would take to acquire Erik Cernak? He would be a perfect #3 RD behind Faulk and Parayko, with Bortuzzo as a 7nth D. He could also be groomed to fill our #2 RD spot if Parayko leaves in two seasons.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
What do you think it would take to acquire Erik Cernak? He would be a perfect #3 RD behind Faulk and Parayko, with Bortuzzo as a 7nth D. He could also be groomed to fill our #2 RD spot if Parayko leaves in two seasons.
I don't think we could reasonably acquire him. He's cost controlled and is Tampa's best RHD. Also to consider they lost 2/3 of their regular RHD in Bogosian and Shattenkirk to UFA.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
There's a topic in the tradesection from a Buffalo fan wanting to trade one of their righthanded defenders for a lefthanded defender. Risto's cap is too heavy IMO, but how do you guys rate Montour/Miller/Jokiharju? If the Blues are actively seeking to trade Dunn, this could be a decent option to get an upgrade on the right side of our 3rd pairing (and sliding Mikkola/Perunovich in on the left).

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
There's a topic in the tradesection from a Buffalo fan wanting to trade one of their righthanded defenders for a lefthanded defender. Risto's cap is too heavy IMO, but how do you guys rate Montour/Miller/Jokiharju? If the Blues are actively seeking to trade Dunn, this could be a decent option to get an upgrade on the right side of our 3rd pairing (and sliding Mikkola/Perunovich in on the left).

As we’ve seen with Scandella, it’s really hard to tell with their guys, because of how bad they’ve been as a team in general the last few years.

With that said, I personally wouldn’t mind Montour or Miller playing in our system.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Miller and Montour aren't exactly cheap(both make over 3.8 mil) and I am not convinced that Joki is an upgrade on Bortuzzo.

I'm honestly not interested in "defensive upgrades" right now and certainly not at the expense of Dunn.
Bortuzzo/Gunnar is a very solid 3rd pair and IMO we're going to need those 2 for the PK(Parayko and Scandella can't be out there all the time).

My concern is RW. IF we move Dunn, the return needs to be a forward(either a Center or RW to push Kyrou).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Miller and Montour aren't exactly cheap(both make over 3.8 mil) and I am not convinced that Joki is an upgrade on Bortuzzo.

I'm honestly not interested in "defensive upgrades" right now and certainly not at the expense of Dunn.
Bortuzzo/Gunnar is a very solid 3rd pair and IMO we're going to need those 2 for the PK(Parayko and Scandella can't be out there all the time).

My concern is RW. IF we move Dunn, the return needs to be a forward(either a Center or RW to push Kyrou).
Agree with this. I like a lot of these names as players (Weegar as well), but acquiring another defenseman just further pushes Mikkola out, and I'm of the belief that we really need to see what we have in him. He could be a big piece to our D corp.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Yeah, was looking at the salary numbers aswell. There's a lot of salary in defense if we do this. However, Miller didn't perform as good last year as he did in his Vegas years, so he might sign an extension deal with a lower AAV. If that's around 1,5-2 million for a couple of years I'd be interested.

Army stated he doesn't want to bring in a new player that takes away playing time from Thomas and Kyrou. Personally I wouldn't mind to bringing in a new forward, there are still a couple of decent free agent players out there that could probably be had for cheap-ish.

Agree with this. I like a lot of these names as players (Weegar as well), but acquiring another defenseman just further pushes Mikkola out, and I'm of the belief that we really need to see what we have in him. He could be a big piece to our D corp.

Mikkola is a lefty. He's possibly logjammed behind Krug, Scandella, Dunn and Gunnarsson and could be 5th in line for a spot on the left side (Perunovich and Walman are behind him, for now). Swapping Dunn for another player that isn't a left defender actually pushes him up a spot in the peckingorder. Our right side isn't deep at all, we only have Parayko, Faulk and Bortuzzo as valid options. IMO Reinke and Santini aren't options at all and will be full time in the AHL.

BTW, personally I'd put Mikkola ahead of Gunnarsson and give him a shot on our 3rd pairing, but that's just me. I know Berube really appreciates what Gunny brings.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Speaking of Mikkola, will he be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft? Someone on the main boards thought he would have to play 40 games in the NHL to be eligible. There seem to be conflicting views on the subject. If anyone could provide a definitive answer, it would be appreciated.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Speaking of Mikkola, will he be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft? Someone on the main boards thought he would have to play 40 games in the NHL to be eligible. There seem to be conflicting views on the subject. If anyone could provide a definitive answer, it would be appreciated.
He's not exempt. Already played 2 pro seasons. The 40 games is requirement that team must expose folks who played NHL games and not just minor leaguers. It doesn't exempt guys like Mikkola.

Reactions: tfriede2

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
He's not exempt. Already played 2 pro seasons. The 40 games is requirement that team must expose folks who played NHL games and not just minor leaguers. It doesn't exempt guys like Mikkola.

So what happens if he doesn't play the 40? Nothing? Thinking more about Tarasenko's situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad