Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The only team I could see having an interest in Faulk would be Vancouver as they are desperate for a RD. Meyers is the only NHL level righty on their roster currently. I would expect them to be going pretty hard for Barrie, but if they miss out on him or we can somehow make Faulk more attractive than free by adding an asset like Kostin and/or retaining $1M or so it might be possible to attract interest.

At this point, if you’re looking for a path to being able to move Faulk to bring Petro back, I feel like you have to look at any sweetener in that deal as trading those assets for Petro to a degree. In other words, if we have to give up Kostin to get a team to take Faulk, to an extent you are trading Kostin for Petro. Or maybe I’m just wish casting.
Problem with that being you have to get Faulk to waive his NTC. Not sure that will happen. Much as I would love to dump him, we’re stuck with that albatross.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Problem with that being you have to get Faulk to waive his NTC. Not sure that will happen. Much as I would love to dump him, we’re stuck with that albatross.
The business side of it is certainly a problem. The human side of it, agreeing to go somewhere nice to play for a team that wants you as opposed to staying with a team that would rather have someone else, can certainly make a trade possible.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The business side of it is certainly a problem. The human side of it, agreeing to go somewhere nice to play for a team that wants you as opposed to staying with a team that would rather have someone else, can certainly make a trade possible.
It could. But we really can’t know what he’s been told/made to feel internally.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The writing was on the wall regarding Dunn and it's even more clear with the Krug signing. Dunn is going bye bye in a trade before the season starts, the only question is what does that trade look like.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The writing was on the wall regarding Dunn and it's even more clear with the Krug signing. Dunn is going bye bye in a trade before the season starts, the only question is what does that trade look like.
I expected a 1st was the target, but with the news about Steen it is looking more possible for a hockey trade to get a roster forward. I suspect something has already been percolating here, but UFA has to settle down first.

Reactions: TK 421

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If I am thinking at this based on team structure, then my best guess is yes. But, our GM seemingly doesn’t think that way. He brought in Faulk to overload the right side. He has, in the past, brought in players that didn’t make sense and filled holes that didn’t exist. What he has done is say can this move give us more talent than we had before irregardless of position needs? It seems having better talent is more important to him than having the right talent, if that makes sense. So, my guess is he is perfectly fine running with more talent than the right mix. Meaning, Dunn may not be on his way out.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If I am thinking at this based on team structure, then my best guess is yes. But, our GM seemingly doesn’t think that way. He brought in Faulk to overload the right side. He has, in the past, brought in players that didn’t make sense and filled holes that didn’t exist. What he has done is say can this move give us more talent than we had before irregardless of position needs? It seems having better talent is more important to him than having the right talent, if that makes sense. So, my guess is he is perfectly fine running with more talent than the right mix. Meaning, Dunn may not be on his way out.
Maybe. But I think Dunn is bummed to 3rd pairing roles without PP time very much. He has trade value. They won’t be able to protect him in expansion, most likely.

But Armstrong’s pattern would be to wait and see how Perunovich looks in camp. I think Mikkola is in there somewhere, but Perunovich can make Dunn obsolete the quickest.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Maybe. But I think Dunn is bummed to 3rd pairing roles without PP time very much. He has trade value. They won’t be able to protect him in expansion, most likely.

But Armstrong’s pattern would be to wait and see how Perunovich looks in camp. I think Mikkola is in there somewhere, but Perunovich can make Dunn obsolete the quickest.
I think Krug and Faulk combined make Dunn and Perunovich obsolete. But I am not following the logic in our defensive construction, so who knows.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think Krug and Faulk combined make Dunn and Perunovich obsolete. But I am not following the logic in our defensive construction, so who knows.
Doesn’t Perunovich play the left side? Faulk doesn’t enter into it, if you actually balance the L/R pairings and give Faulk his natural role.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m thinking we may roll something like:

Scandella-Parayko

They play the heavy defensive minutes.

Krug-Faulk

Let them feast offensively and both put up 40+ points.

Mikkola-Gunnarsson

If Niko can take a step and become a solid player, which I believe he can, then this is a pretty good 3rd pairing that can also handle defensive zone draws.

Edit for clarification: Bortuzzo the #7 and you got Perunovich in the system. Dunn has gotta go.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Doesn’t Perunovich play the left side? Faulk doesn’t enter into it, if you actually balance the L/R pairings and give Faulk his natural role.
What I am saying is that it’s going to be very difficult to ice a Cup worthy team with three offensive defensemen. Trying to create favorable matchup situations becomes incredibly difficult, if not impossible depending upon the matchup.

Krug, Faulk, Dunn and Perunovich all need sheltered minutes/offensive zone starts. You really can only afford to have one pairing that you need to do that with throughout a Cup run. With three OFD, you now have two pairs at minimum to shelter, if not all three.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

He does. Although he has also played quite a lot of games on the rightside with Minnesota-Duluth.

Krug and Scandella are certainties on the left side, so only one spot left on the left side and the Blues seem to REALLY like Perunovich and Mikkola... That leaves Gunnarsson, who could be a decent nr. 7 and Walman (who needs to be waived to play in the AHL). One of Perunovich or Mikkola will start in the AHL, IMO Dunn will 100% be traded.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
What I am saying is that it’s going to be very difficult to ice a Cup worthy team with three offensive defensemen. Trying to create favorable matchup situations becomes incredibly difficult, if not impossible depending upon the matchup.

Krug, Faulk, Dunn and Perunovich all need sheltered minutes/offensive zone starts. You really can only afford to have one pairing that you need to do that with throughout a Cup run. With three OFD, you now have two pairs at minimum to shelter, if not all three.
It can be done, but you're going to have to consistently run in the 55-60 Corsi range, your forwards are going to have to finish at a high rate and your goalie is going to have to play like 2019 Binnington. The key is going to be playing a lot more in the offensive zone and having nearly flawless assignment coverages from our backchecking forwards.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It can be done, but you're going to have to consistently run in the 55-60 Corsi range, your forwards are going to have to finish at a high rate and your goalie is going to have to play like 2019 Binnington. The key is going to be playing a lot more in the offensive zone and having nearly flawless assignment coverages from our backchecking forwards.
So if our matchups in the Cup run were tight and we already had great backside support and had two 7 games series that were incredibly tight, then how much confidence do we have in that happening? I don’t have much.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I’m thinking we may roll something like:

Scandella-Parayko

They play the heavy defensive minutes.

Krug-Faulk

Let them feast offensively and both put up 40+ points.

Mikkola-Gunnarsson

If Niko can take a step and become a solid player, which I believe he can, then this is a pretty good 3rd pairing that can also handle defensive zone draws.

Edit for clarification: Bortuzzo the #7 and you got Perunovich in the system. Dunn has gotta go.

Just me or would those 2nd and 3rd pairings be eaten alive by Vegas or Colorado in a series?

I think you have to even up the defensive pairings more. You can’t have your only 2 established good defenders on the same pair when everything else is such a problem. I go with

Krug-Parayko
Scandella-Faulk
... I dunno. Mikkola-Gunnar? We have no good 3rd pair options.

God, remember when we won the cup with Petro, Bouw, Dunn, and Eddie? Those were the days.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Just me or would those 2nd and 3rd pairings be eaten alive by Vegas or Colorado in a series?
You can add Dallas to that conversation as well. I think that second pairing will be a real issue against the contenders.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Given the current roster construction on defense I would probably do something like this....
Krug - Parayko
Mikkola - Faulk
Scandella - Bortuzzo
Gunnarson

I truly don't see how we can run a shut down pair at this point. I dislike being forced to deal with that but it looks like it's our new reality. This arrangement at least gets Krug and Faulk partners that will allow them to play their game while mitigating their weaknesses. I would completely understand wanting Scandella with Faulk and putting Mikkola with Bortuzzo as another option but I have great faith in Mikkola and want him playing as many minutes as possible.

I've left Dunn out because I don't think there's any way we keep him for next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: puckerdude10

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Just a reminder

Gunnarsson-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Edmundson

Our defensive pairings from Game 7 against Boston, about a year and a half later.

Also a reminder I’m pretty damn sure our current D-Core wasn’t much less of our cap percentage then that one was.

Reactions: Ranksu

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007

Could be but I'm seeing too many signs that he's about to be traded. Mikkola is on a 1 way contract and I believe the team intends him to take Dunn's regular spot in the lineup. Krug directly replaces Dunn's offense and then some with Faulk undoubtedly benefitting from playing Petros old minutes and increasing his production. On top of that we have Perunovich who can be utilized in spot duty on that 3rd pair providing a similar game to Dunn. I get what you're saying about DA's moves not making sense sometimes and I agree but I see several good reasons to move Dunn for help elsewhere because currently we have too many D.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I think you have to even up the defensive pairings more. You can’t have your only 2 established good defenders on the same pair when everything else is such a problem. I go with

Krug-Parayko
Scandella-Faulk
... I dunno. Mikkola-Gunnar? We have no good 3rd pair options.

God, remember when we won the cup with Petro, Bouw, Dunn, and Eddie? Those were the days.

I agree with you. Even on the road, opponents would match their top line against Faulk/Krug and it could be a potential disaster.

Like most people, I did like the Scandella/Parayko pair but that doesn't make sense anymore. I would roll what you have suggested and hope that Scandella's sound defensive game allows Faulk to play a more free-flowing style and get involved more. Krug/Parayko is a very solid top pairing, and I am more than fine with Mikkola/Gunnar/Bortz rotating as a solid 3rd pair. Not ideal but not a total disaster.

However, during that Army interview he certainly made it sound like he expects Dunn to be on the team next year. Of course that could just be him keeping his cards close to the vest, but I don't think it's a given Dunn will be traded.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Our wildcard is Mikkola. He did play in his time in Finland heaviest time at PK. Heaviest time at PK in AHL. He in my eyes would be perfect fit to Parayko. Shutdown role. That would give us more balanced pairings.

Code:
Mikkola - Parayko
Krug - Bortuzzo
Scandella - Faulk

Ofc we won't see that, 'cus not given opportunity for young kid. So it leaves out, who got paid have to pay biggest.

Code:
Krug - Parayko
Scandella - Faulk
Gunnar/x - Bortuzzo

x=Mikkola/Perunovich

and I don't see Dunn anymore in this team.

Tho what will happends when Dunn is RFA we hold his rights? Is he going just get offer sheet away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad