Blues Trade Proposals 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Nope. Not for Parayko. Laine is too streaky and one dimensional for me. We would be losing too much defense. Besides, what is with all the Parayko for moar offense proposals? Soft or one-dimensional offense at that!
He produces in the playoffs and has 50 goal upside. Not every player has to have grit to win. Imo he's >> Ehlers.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
He produces in the playoffs and has 50 goal upside. Not every player has to have grit to win. Imo he's >> Ehlers.
Absolutely! I should really clarify my position. I am not against adding more scoring to our team, even one-dimensional scoring. You are absolutely correct that not every player needs grit to win. I am saying, not at the cost of Colton Parayko! Parayko is by far the best defensive defenseman on our team, and is in fact one of the best in the League. The loss of Bouwmeester has already hurt our defense, and losing Parayko on top of that would be disastrous. It is not all about scoring. Our solid team defense won us a championship, and that has already been downgraded. If we were to add a scorer like Laine, (others have mentioned Ehlers, Hoffman, Gaudreau, etc) we would want to bolster our defense to help shelter them, not subtract from it. Btw, I agree, Laine is a great talent!

Reactions: mk80

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Laine would sure look good with Thomas passing to him
But I think it would be a big net loss at the expense of Parayko

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
plus, Laine only has a year left on his contract and will get a raise
and, moving 55 for Laine doesn't help with cap space to sign Petro

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
plus, Laine only has a year left on his contract and will get a raise
and, moving 55 for Laine doesn't help with cap space to sign Petro
In no way, shape, or form am I trading Colton for Laine. Laine is seriously overrated. Yes, he MIGHT score a ton with Thomas passing to him, but I'd rather have the sure thing in Colton.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
If I’m trading Parayko (which I wouldn’t) I’m asking for 2 of the three and throwing in sanford/blais as well.
Schiefele is the only player I’d *consider* trading Parayko 1-1 for on the Jets

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I really don’t think trading Parayko regardless of having Faulk and or Pietrangelo on our roster is a great idea. We have no internal replacement as a shut down rd unless you want Bortuzzo playing 20 minutes a night and getting 4 pims

Reactions: mk80 and Stealth JD

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The only reason to trade Parayko is if we don't think that he's going to sign an extension next summer, or we think it would cost too much. If that's the case then we aren't going to be getting another teams young star player who is under team control long term.

In that scenario it's a choice between running down his deal, trading him for a lesser player with a plus or for a package of futures.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Laine or bust.
I'm in the micro-minority on our board in that I'm fine trading Parayko under certain circumstances if Petro is re-signed. I know that. But I feel that if Laine is out there and available and Parayko is what it takes to get him (and nothing more) then I jump on that, if only to hedge against the possibilities that:

(A) Tarasenko never returns to form; or
(B) Parayko is going to leave as a UFA in 2 years anyway, and his value will never be higher.

I'd actually prefer Connor or Schiefle (but not Ehlers) but I seriously doubt either of them are available. Something along the lines of Parayko and Sanford/Blais for Laine and Poolman would interest me. Given Laine's contract status, I would hope/expect WPG would allow us to talk to his agent about what his next deal could look like so we know what we're getting into. If you can reasonably expect to get him for Rantanen money or less on a long-term deal, I would have no problem with the contract side of it. You've got Steen, Bozak and Gunnar coming off the books after next season, you're probably going to lose someone you don't want to lose in the expansion draft, and I suspect there will be some decent talent available to shore up our Top 4 D from teams unwilling to lose a player for nothing if we feel an internal option isn't ready for that role.

And if (A) doesn't happen, you have on hell of a 1-2 punch for the next few years with he and Tarasenko, one right and one left. Laine is never going to be a complete player, but he seems like he's learning to backcheck, he's ahead of Ovechkin's goal scoring pace, and he could be a 40-50 (60?) goal threat for the next 10 years. Can you think of anyone better to put on Thomas' wing?

Such a deal obviously doesn't help your cap situation with respect to re-signing Petro, but if you're operating under the assumption that Petro has been re-signed then you shouldn't need to clear any more cap space. I understand why most are unwilling to move Parayko, but I think it would be worth the risk.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
One thing to consider with Laine, would the Jets want to trade a goal scorer like that within the division? To acquire Laine it might not be as simple of offering one of players that fills their needs or wants, but could take Doug working through another team similar to what the Panthers did with the Sharks and Hoffman.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I really wanted the Blues to make a move for Mark Stone before Vegas did. Just imagine....

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I really wanted the Blues to make a move for Mark Stone before Vegas did. Just imagine....
I think that we would have kicked the tyres on Stone when he was still in Ottawa. He is basically the perfect example of the type of player that Armstrong loves.

No way we'd have given him $9m+ though...

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think that we would have kicked the tyres on Stone when he was still in Ottawa. He is basically the perfect example of the type of player that Armstrong loves.

No way we'd have given him $9m+ though...

I would have moved Tarasenko’s salary to sign Stone. Obviously not to Ottawa, but in a separate move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad