Confirmed with Link: Blues sign David Perron (4 years @ $4m)

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Fabbri has played both sides before he injured.

So has Steen. So has Perron. It’s not their best spot.

The point is you had 17 million in cap with 2 young right handed, right wingers either on the roster now (Thompson) or very close (Kyrou) and the first thing you choose to do is sign a left winger who has failed here twice.

This isn’t a “play the kids!” move because you just blocked one.

This isn’t a “let’s go contend while 91 and 27 are in their prime!” move because the dude is more invisible than a ghost when it counts.

This is a status quo move and that freaking sucks.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

The point is you had 17 million in cap with 2 young right handed, right wingers either on the roster now (Thompson) or very close (Kyrou) and the first thing you choose to do is sign a left winger who has failed here twice.

This isn’t a “let’s go contend while 91 and 27 are in their prime!” move because the dude is more invisible than a ghost when it counts.

I hate this trade.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Here, I've got a challenge for you. Name a RHS top 9 player available in free agency you want to fill in a top 9 role this year you think you can get for 1-2 years.

I choose to not sign a free agent.

I want to play Tage Thompson or Jordan Kyrou and trade for Ryan O’Reilly.

I’ll aceept this Perron move if one of the best of other underperforming guys move. You move Berglund, fine I’ll take it.

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
We needed a RW, we got a RW. He didn't cost any assets, he can put up some points, and he wasn't an over payment despite a career year last year. He's played in the system before and knows what STL is like. We know he can disappear in the playoffs, but so can a lot of players. This seems like a pretty good signing to me.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
We exposed him at the expansion draft and kept Reaves so that we could shop Reaves to Pitt for a draft pick.

I think in an alternate universe we would have exposed Reaves and kept Peron. But in this universe we ultimately kept Peron (sans one season), delt Reaves, and gained a draft pick. So in this sense, DA is a plus.

It made sense to me at the time because while Perron is a "better" overall player than Reaves, he is also more easily replaced. There are more guys around the league that do what Perron does compared to Reaves, which is why some Gms seem to covet Reaves so much. You can sign a Perron-esque middle six winger every offseason, pretty much.

Clearly we must have entered some kind of time warp. Is this 2017 or 2018? Not thrilled with this move, but won't mind too much if other bigger moves are coming.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Well its good to know we have no intentions of ever going on a playoff run now. only his mother could love his playoff numbers

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I like Perron. Seems like a great dude, works hard, was the middle-six glue the Blues needed a couple seasons ago. Looked very good for Vegas.

Okay, he sucks in the playoffs. I don't think it's lack of effort or unwillingness to pay the price, though. I think everybody else just ratchets it up and Perron's intensity was already as high as he knows how to get it.
BUT, I also think that was the same for Oshie until he figured it out with Washington. And in Oshie's case, I really don't think it was linemates or role. He was up and down against Philly, then suddenly had a hattrick against Pittsburgh, his confidence soared, and he's been good for the Caps in the playoffs ever since.

Lots of players have been playoff failures until later in their careers. At that price, with the Blues' current needs, that's a fine gamble to make. Not exciting, but fans were really "meh" about Perron's signing on for a second stint a few years ago and most were pleasantly surprised.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

Jesus, there are more options then "Go completely All in" and "Sell Sell Sell!"

This team unquestionably had multiple holes to fill. Top 6 Center, Top 9 RW (Who has a RHS), Goalie. We don't want to just hand one of the kids a spot when they aren't ready: we just did that with Thompson and he rewarded us with 9 points in 41 games. We want them competing for a spot while being able to work them in at a pace they are comfortable with. If they earn it, great, we can make adjustments from there. Hell, we could trade some Sobotka and Berglund and move Perron back to LW.

This all or nothing mindset sucks. Sure, the term isn't amazing but we just got a guy of almost a PPG pace for lesd then 2 mill a year more then Ryan Reaves got.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I choose to not sign a free agent.

I want to play Tage Thompson or Jordan Kyrou and trade for Ryan O’Reilly.

I’ll aceept this Perron move if one of the best of other underperforming guys move. You move Berglund, fine I’ll take it.

You have to give up Kyrou to get O'Reilly though. You can't have both.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Jesus, there are more options then "Go completely All in" and "Sell Sell Sell!"

This team unquestionably had multiple holes to fill. Top 6 Center, Top 9 RW (Who has a RHS), Goalie. We don't want to just hand one of the kids a spot when they aren't ready: we just did that with Thompson and he rewarded us with 9 points in 41 games. We want them competing for a spot while being able to work them in at a pace they are comfortable with. If they earn it, great, we can make adjustments from there. Hell, we could trade some Sobotka and Berglund and move Perron back to LW.

This all or nothing mindset sucks. Sure, the term isn't amazing but we just got a guy of almost a PPG pace for lesd then 2 mill a year more then Ryan Reaves got.

Why is one year of 66 points on a fluke team outweigh what we’ve seen for years in the past on Perron? Why?

What about David Perron’s past here enthralls you so much that you can just overlook everything that he hasn’t done here to go “see he had 66 points on a team that can’t possibly do that again!”

Reactions: 91ReasonsYouLose

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Schwartz - Schenn - Kyrou
Fabbri - __?__ - Tarasenko
Steen - Thomas - Perron
Berglund - Barbashev - Soshnikov

If Fabbri struggles, Berglund can move up. If Kyrou struggles, Perron can move up or Thompson can come in.

Assuming that we get a centre, then it isn't a disaster. We still have plenty of assets to make a trade for a winger if the need/opportunity arises.

The issue is getting a centre.

Reactions: The Note in MI

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I think DA is smarter than we give him credit for.

I think every team knows the quality of our prospects and our young D corps. From what I’ve read DA is working the phones. My speculation is that every offer is WAY too costly. I think we are targeting 2019-2020 as our year to make a legit run at the cup. This season, 2018-2019, is where we get our young prospects “seasoned” and try for a playoff berth. Signing Perron works into this strategy. The guy knows us, we know him, there won’t be any problems.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
the signing and money isnt bad. its the fact that wherever he goes, he tanks in the playoffs. it isnt JUST us. he tanks in anaheim, pittsburgh, vegas etc. vegas HEALTHY SCRATCHED him in the finals.

Reactions: 91ReasonsYouLose

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Schwartz - Schenn - Kyrou
Fabbri - Sobotka - Tarasenko
Steen - Thomas - Perron
Berglund - Barbashev - Soshnikov

If Fabbri struggles, Berglund can move up. If Kyrou struggles, Perron can move up or Thompson can come in.

Assuming that we get a centre, then it isn't a disaster. We still have plenty of assets to make a trade for a winger if the need/opportunity arises.

The issue is getting a centre.
Did you forgot Sobotka? :laugh:

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
I don't love this, but 4 x 4 is completely acceptable for what he provides in the regular season. Hope that we make the playoffs in the first place and worry about his production there then. Don't forget how Oshie struggled until he left, or how Brouwer was a playoff dud until our CF run a few years ago.

Also, as many of you mentioned, as a natural LW, there's even more cause for Army to let one of our middle sixers go in a trade...

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
the signing and money isnt bad. its the fact that wherever he goes, he tanks in the playoffs. it isnt JUST us. he tanks in anaheim, pittsburgh, vegas etc. vegas HEALTHY SCRATCHED him in the finals.
wow, first time I agree with you.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Maybe Fabbri is a trade chip after all and Perron is some reinforcement? Idk. We still have so many freakin bottom 6ers and are running out of spots

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad