Blues Prospects Thread 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Also, 4 points in 4 games since returning for Nolan Stevens for 2-8-10 in 12 games. I know we don't talk much about those "grinder" prospects, but I was always hopeful for Stevens and McGing to succeed in some professional capacity. Does anyone know what, why, or how Fitzpatrick just fell off after being a relatively high touted goalie prospect? I saw he played in the recent Utica game, but was randomly the 3rd star with only 2 goals against but a .889 sv%. I know it's one game, but even his ECHL stats were pretty terrible.

I sorta remember that he had one really good camp, but then could not stop ECHL-level shots.

Not sure what his damage is, but doubt he’ll be a Blue.
He's a relatively big kid at 6'3" and 205 lbs, and was always touted as being very technically sound. The games I saw him play in junior (I haven't seen him play as a pro other than a few highlights) he didn't seem un-athletic, but sometimes that can be a struggle for bigger goalies like Lehner, though not for others like Vasilevskiy.

The fact is that we just don't have enough information on him yet, though his clock is running out. He's played 9 games in the AHL and given up more than 3 goals exactly once. He got sent to the ECHL and struggled against lesser competition when there wasn't room for him in the AHL in 2018-19 with Binnington and Husso, so I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't just a confidence issue. Hopefully he can find his game next season with some regular work and get back in the conversation with Ellis, Hofer and Zherenko (and don't forget Cranley) as future options in the Blues rotation. He just turned 23 and "goalies are weird" and often develop later than position players.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He's a relatively big kid at 6'3" and 205 lbs, and was always touted as being very technically sound. The games I saw him play in junior (I haven't seen him play as a pro other than a few highlights) he didn't seem un-athletic, but sometimes that can be a struggle for bigger goalies like Lehner, though not for others like Vasilevskiy.

The fact is that we just don't have enough information on him yet, though his clock is running out. He's played 9 games in the AHL and given up more than 3 goals exactly once. He got sent to the ECHL and struggled against lesser competition when there wasn't room for him in the AHL in 2018-19 with Binnington and Husso, so I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't just a confidence issue. Hopefully he can find his game next season with some regular work and get back in the conversation with Ellis, Hofer and Zherenko (and don't forget Cranley) as future options in the Blues rotation. He just turned 23 and "goalies are weird" and often develop later than position players.
It’s all in his head. He played in exhibition game couple years ago. Looked good. Then allowed goal from like center ice to blow the game. And when he went to minors after was awful. Has talent but not optimistic.

Reactions: MissouriMook

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

Totally agree that goalies are weird and have unique trajectories. Very few are great right away and stay great.

Here's some quick details on Fitzpatrick:

Drafted relatively high at 59th overall in 2016

QMJHL - cumulative across three regular seasons
181 GP
3.30 GAA
.894 SV%
73-76-20 W-L

All-Rookie Team 2014-15.

He went 16-4 on Acadie-Brathurst's run to the President's Cup after the 2017-18 season and got 1st Star.
Then proceeded to shutout Regina in the CHL Memorial Cup Championship game.
Great defense?

ECHL - cumulative across two regular seasons and two teams
37 GP
3.50 GAA
.873 SV%
15-15-5 W-L

AHL
9 GP - 1 this season (a 3-2 win)
2.57 GAA
.899 SV%
3-3-0 W-L

Utica is currently at 8-5-0-1 and has played four different goalies this season; Jon Gillies (currently on taxi squad, but is the Comets' veteran guy), Jake Kielly (NCAA development), Joel Hofer and Evan Fitzpatrick.

Gillies - 5 GP
Kielly - 5 GP
Hofer - 3 GP
Fitzpatrick - 1 GP (the 13th game of the season, which was a 3-2 win, facing only 18 shots)

Fitzpatrick has dressed for 7 games total (which included two month-long breaks & one start), while Hofer has dressed for the Comets' last 5 games straight (three starts).

Also of note is that Fitzpatrick and Hofer have dressed for the Comets' last four games.

This was just a quick snapshot of where Evan Fitzpatrick is right now, in terms of statistics and some context.

This tells me that he is not trusted by the coaching staff. His success in the Q is notable, but his professional career has been spotty, so far.

There's a reason he was sought after by Acadie-Brathurst, so maybe he'll need some time to figure out the pro game.

His ECHL performance was abysmal, but, then again, the defense in front him may have been poor.

How's his mental game? Simply put, if he has a confidence issue, then I don't have confidence in him.

Hopefully this is a decent synopsis, so we can try to gain a clearer picture of what we have in Evan Fitzpatrick.

The Blues need help in goal with Hofer being ok so far and Husso not yet cementing his place with the Blues. We'll see about Ellis. Others? Who da f*** knows?

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I sorta remember that he had one really good camp, but then could not stop ECHL-level shots.

Not sure what his damage is, but doubt he’ll be a Blue.

Ah, Evan Fitzpatrick. I can remember about November 2018, we're playing like shit, Jake Allen and Chad Johnson were struggling, and more than one person here wanted us to bring up Fitzpatrick and throw him in net. Maybe 8 pro games under his belt, all in the ECHL, and people wanted him in based on he won a Memorial Cup! Never mind his actual skill set or projections or all that, HE WON A MEMORIAL CUP! PUT HIM IN, COACH!

Those were good times.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Ah, Evan Fitzpatrick. I can remember about November 2018, we're playing like shit, Jake Allen and Chad Johnson were struggling, and more than one person here wanted us to bring up Fitzpatrick and throw him in net. Maybe 8 pro games under his belt, all in the ECHL, and people wanted him in based on he won a Memorial Cup! Never mind his actual skill set or projections or all that, HE WON A MEMORIAL CUP! PUT HIM IN, COACH!

Those were good times.
I was a little surprised by how poorly Chad Johnson played for the Blues.

Adding Fitzpatrick at that time? wow...just wow

But not surprised; fans get excited.

At least some slug named Binnington saved the season for us.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
First professional shutout for Joel Hofer tonight. Comets win 3 - 0 despite being outshot 41 - 18.
That’s awesome! Thanks for the update.

He sure has been feast or famine. Gave up 6 goals once, 5 goals twice, 1 goal once and a shutout in 5 starts.

Reactions: ezcreepin

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The team has been real shaky in front of him. Between call ups and injuries they aren't very strong right now.
Not to mention having like 2 weeks off due to covid, these guys aren't playing well and haven't had time to get going either. Really tough spot for everyone on that team

Last edited:
Reactions: UticaHockey

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Not to mention having like 2 weeks off due to covid, these guys are playing well and haven't had time to get going either. Really tough spot for everyone on that team
The COVID break was almost exactly one month after which Hofer has dressed in each game.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The COVID break was almost exactly one month after which Hofer has dressed in each game.
Wait I'm not sure what exactly you're saying here, sorry. Also, damn I didn't realize that it was an entire month. I don't know if they were playing particularly well, but they had a 6-2-1 record to begin their season and then had that entire month off while other teams kept rolling. Then they come back and earn a losing record in their next 7 games (3-4) and it doesn't seem like anyone is playing spectacular right now, especially the goalies.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Wait I'm not sure what exactly you're saying here, sorry. Also, damn I didn't realize that it was an entire month. I don't know if they were playing particularly well, but they had a 6-2-1 record to begin their season and then had that entire month off while other teams kept rolling. Then they come back and earn a losing record in their next 7 games (3-4) and it doesn't seem like anyone is playing spectacular right now, especially the goalies.
The COVID break was almost exactly one month long.

When they resumed play, Hofer has been dressed each game.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Any chance we see Kostin this season?

Game 4 of the KHL Gagarin Cup Finals is Saturday.
Game 5 is Monday.
Game 6 and 7 aren't scheduled yet. Based on the finals schedule so far, Game 6 is likely Wednesday 4/28 and Game 7 is likely Friday 4/30, if necessary. CSKA is up 2-1 in the series.

Let's say Kostin's paperwork is in order and he boards a plane on 5/1. I'm assuming he will be required to quarantine. Is it 7 days?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I can't think of any reason why Kostin wouldn't want to come over, or why the Blues wouldn't want to try to get him here. But whether its realistic for him to play and contribute on a post-season roster seems far-fetched to me. I think it would still be good for him, and it might be particularly nice during the last stretch of 5 games in 7 days to have a fresh sub like him. But there will be visa and quarantine issues to navigate.

Reactions: MissouriMook

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Any chance we see Kostin this season?

Game 4 of the KHL Gagarin Cup Finals is Saturday.
Game 5 is Monday.
Game 6 and 7 aren't scheduled yet. Based on the finals schedule so far, Game 6 is likely Wednesday 4/28 and Game 7 is likely Friday 4/30, if necessary. CSKA is up 2-1 in the series.

Let's say Kostin's paperwork is in order and he boards a plane on 5/1. I'm assuming he will be required to quarantine. Is it 7 days?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
That’s awesome! Thanks for the update.

He sure has been feast or famine. Gave up 6 goals once, 5 goals twice, 1 goal once and a shutout in 5 starts.

Hofer has actually been quite good. The amount of goals against is more due to the Comets having a really mediocre team ATM thanks to the Canucks Covid situation.

In other news, the Blues are moving Nikita Alexandrov from KooKoo to the Comets, I'm interested to see how he will fare.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
I can't think of any reason why Kostin wouldn't want to come over, or why the Blues wouldn't want to try to get him here. But whether its realistic for him to play and contribute on a post-season roster seems far-fetched to me. I think it would still be good for him, and it might be particularly nice during the last stretch of 5 games in 7 days to have a fresh sub like him. But there will be visa and quarantine issues to navigate.

Huh?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I feel I’ve asked a million times but the MHL is like the AHL right? Or is that the VHL? I can never remember!
VHL is like the AHL, MHL is like the CHL. Though I believe teams have rights for call ups in the respective leagues (KHL, VHL, and MHL), whereas the CHL here does not have affiliation with NHL clubs.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
It's wonderful seeing Kostin have success in the KHL. Hopefully he can continue having great results there and translate that into a top 6 winger role in the NHL. Again I would preach patience with Klim tho, he is still very young at 21. The developmental tracks are very different and I hesitate to compare Klim to Vova, but it's worth considering that Vova didn't really play a full season in the NHL until he was 22.

Can we talk about Jake Neighbors a little bit? Leads the entire WHL in +/-, 4th in points per game...I don't see much discussion about him, but this kid looks like a big time player. Having a great year so far.

Matt Kessel too! Kessel went from undrafted to an incredible season (big top pairing minutes scoring 23 pts in 29 games) playing a huge role on the NCAA championship team and being selected to the NCAA All Tournament Team. 6'3 200+ Lbs RHD w/ legit puck skills? Yes, please.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
It's wonderful seeing Kostin have success in the KHL. Hopefully he can continue having great results there and translate that into a top 6 winger role in the NHL. Again I would preach patience with Klim tho, he is still very young at 21. The developmental tracks are very different and I hesitate to compare Klim to Vova, but it's worth considering that Vova didn't really play a full season in the NHL until he was 22.

Can we talk about Jake Neighbors a little bit? Leads the entire WHL in +/-, 4th in points per game...I don't see much discussion about him, but this kid looks like a big time player. Having a great year so far.

Matt Kessel too! Kessel went from undrafted to an incredible season (big top pairing minutes scoring 23 pts in 29 games) playing a huge role on the NCAA championship team and being selected to the NCAA All Tournament Team. 6'3 200+ Lbs RHD w/ legit puck skills? Yes, please.
Klim, although is producing well in the KHL, is a vastly different player. I know you were refraining from comparing the two, but Tarasenko was touted as THE best goal scorer in his draft and seen as a franchise player. Kostin may have been top 5 potential, but I think people were fawning over his size, playstyle, and his skill. Definitely a talented player, but not nearly as definitive of a top 6 player as Tarasenko was.

Jake Neighbours has been doing really well and was once leading the league in scoring. Then Bedard tore it up and was leading the league as a 15 year old. Now Krebs is leading the league but has played more games than the both of them. I hope Neighbours really turns into a Steen type player where he is very effective defensively, but his offense blossoms as well. His skating has always been the thing holding him back as a top 10-15 player, so hopefully he can really work on that.

Kessel unfortunately was an over-ager pick. Whether that's because the Blues took a chance or because he really wowed the Blues scouting (hello Tkachuk) I dont know, but he seems to have worked out as a 5th rounder. Obviously won the NCAA championship while playing an important role, but it's hard to say for me if that's because of everyone around him or if he actually is a legit player like Parayko was. Time will tell, but I'm definitely excited to see how these other prospects develop.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Kessell had a great season for a 20 year old in the NCAA, especially with all of the COVID stuff. He turns 21 next month, but is a full two years younger the Perunovich,

I like the Blues prospects and think we have some solid depth, but we truly lack high end elite talent, I like Kyrou and Thomas. But Kostin is a bit of a question mark in whether he will be a top line FP or a 2nd line guy. Neighbors looks good, but it is against Junior competition. Alexandrov looks to be a depth player. Laferiere is have a good season, but not as good as I would like to see as an overager. I don’t think we have signed him to a contract.

Our D is more depth depth as we lack any top pairing guys. Maybe Perunovich tops out as a 3. But Kessell is likely a second pairing guy.

Walman maybe the forgotten player, but he is more of a bottom pairing guy, though I do like him paired with Colt. I haven’t hear much about Tucker, but I think he is. Bottom pairing guy also. I like the name Leo Loof, but no idea on his season.

Reactions: execwrite1

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Kessell had a great season for a 20 year old in the NCAA, especially with all of the COVID stuff. He turns 21 next month, but is a full two years younger the Perunovich,

I like the Blues prospects and think we have some solid depth, but we truly lack high end elite talent, I like Kyrou and Thomas. But Kostin is a bit of a question mark in whether he will be a top line FP or a 2nd line guy. Neighbors looks good, but it is against Junior competition. Alexandrov looks to be a depth player. Laferiere is have a good season, but not as good as I would like to see as an overager. I don’t think we have signed him to a contract.

Our D is more depth depth as we lack any top pairing guys. Maybe Perunovich tops out as a 3. But Kessell is likely a second pairing guy.

Walman maybe the forgotten player, but he is more of a bottom pairing guy, though I do like him paired with Colt. I haven’t hear much about Tucker, but I think he is. Bottom pairing guy also. I like the name Leo Loof, but no idea on his season.

Agreed on all counts. No top-level prospects caused by lack of tanking, which is good. Problem going forward is this team potentially remains middle-of-the-pack, sneak into the playoffs and go out early each year which produces mid-level draft position and no high-end talent.

It truly is best to have a real shot at the Cup each year or fail miserably and rebuild through the draft.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad