Blues Prospects Thread 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I haven't seen Peterson, but I have seen Toropchenko. Not much to report. Toropchenko is as advertised: fast, not afraid to use his body, and can score a bit. Best case scenario he's a Chris Kreider: Big Jet No Pilot. If he can get a spot in a top-9, I think he'll flourish if you're okay with him driving north-south and having no brain.
I just don't see it with Toropchenko. Would be surprised if he ever makes the NHL and secures a full time roster spot...would love to be wrong tho!

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Jake Neighbors: 2g 2a this weekend.

Matt Kessell is going to the frozen 4. He had an assist I. The two games this weekend. He has cooled off a bit.

Reactions: TK 421

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Jake Neighbors with 1g 2a last night.

Lafrierre with 5 points in his last two games.

I can’t believe the OHL tossed away its season. What a disappointment for the kids in that league.

Reactions: TK 421

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I wonder if Matt kessel signs this yr

I think Kessel can really benefit from another year at UMass, so I don't mind waiting another year to potentially sign him. If he keeps on improving like he did this season, that is.

I can’t believe the OHL tossed away its season. What a disappointment for the kids in that league.

The OHL cancelled its season definatly? I thought they were still talking about a 20-ish games season? But yeah, this is a huge dissapointment for those kids. Washkurak, for example, really needed this season to show he's worth an ELC. He did play some games in Slovakia, but I don't know if that's enough enough. I wish Cranley and Dickinson could've been loaned somewhere else too, as they are our only prospects that haven't played any games yet this year.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think Kessel can really benefit from another year at UMass, so I don't mind waiting another year to potentially sign him. If he keeps on improving like he did this season, that is.

The OHL cancelled its season definatly? I thought they were still talking about a 20-ish games season? But yeah, this is a huge dissapointment for those kids. Washkurak, for example, really needed this season to show he's worth an ELC. He did play some games in Slovakia, but I don't know if that's enough enough. I wish Cranley and Dickinson could've been loaned somewhere else too, as they are our only prospects that haven't played any games yet this year.

I am not sure what 20 games does for anyone. Way too short of a season and you might as well cash it in.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Neighbors with 2a last night. He is producing very well. But I am a bit concerned with his lack of goal scoring.

Lafierre’s team is shut down due to Covid. They played a team that wound up with positive Covid teat. So they have to wait to see.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I am not sure what 20 games does for anyone. Way too short of a season and you might as well cash it in.

Too short? As a serious competition, I agree. However, I'd imagine the kids who are in their draftyear or are in their last year to earn an ELC would prefer 20 games to show what they've got instead of no games at all. I'd rather see it as 20 exhibition games instead of a serious competition.

Compare it with the WHL, who have committed to a 24 game season.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Neighbors with 2a last night. He is producing very well. But I am a bit concerned with his lack of goal scoring.

Lafierre’s team is shut down due to Covid. They played a team that wound up with positive Covid teat. So they have to wait to see.
Guenther is really good.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Kostin seems to be doing pretty well over in Russia. PPG in their game on Monday, also was third on the team in ice time despite having 6 PIM. Looking forward to seeing him this year or next on our third line!

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Highlights from the UMass vs Minnesota Duluth game:

UMass was missing a couple of their top players, including starting goalie, due to COVID protocols. Assuming the tests were false positives, they might be getting back some important players for the final game. Kessel looked good from what I saw (only got to see the first half of the 2nd before my beer league game). Smooth skater, makes smart reads, and distributes the puck well. He could be a real gem.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
What are the odds the Blues try to sign Kessel after his season with UMass? We obviously have guys stepping up in a big way like Walman, but I can't imagine they wouldn't want a righty on the right side instead of playing a lefty there, or at least having that option available. Bort can be serviceable, but has looked less than stellar as of late.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Sadly, Kostin doesn't stop disappointing, he looks kind of lost on ice. Not easy to tell what's wrong with him, some say that while he isn't dumb at all, he is a very stubborn and complicated character, which makes it hard for coaches to work with him. Possibly giving him some more TOI could help, but he just doesn't really deserve it so far.

It's funny how much things have changed since I wrote this in December, but I guess somehow Bob Hartley has found the right kind of words that switched something in Kostin's head.

I haven't seen Peterson, but I have seen Toropchenko. Not much to report. Toropchenko is as advertised: fast, not afraid to use his body, and can score a bit. Best case scenario he's a Chris Kreider: Big Jet No Pilot. If he can get a spot in a top-9, I think he'll flourish if you're okay with him driving north-south and having no brain.

In the KHL Toropchenko was used more of a big body/crash the net/net-front presence guy, as his skating is good, but the subpar puck handling doesn't allow to use it fully, especially since the KHL hockey is not too north-south. He was pretty good at that I think, most of his points were collected from in close or from the rebounds/deflections. Interesting that he has terminated his KHL deal immediately after the regular season has ended, but hasn't played anywhere since that, I guess it is due to the Utica situation.

Btw, since I'm writing about Russians, here's Zherenko's game-winning shootout save from a MHL playoff game some time ago (yes, they are deciding the playoff game winners in shootouts there).

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Thanks for the updates. I think Kostin has some confidence issues. When he is fell in good about himself, he plays a very strong game. When he doesn’t he gets a little lost.

it would explain why pretty much every comment about him to the press, including Thornton’s were positive. He maybe one of those guys who is unduly hard on himself.

Reactions: Caser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad