Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Two goalie questions -

Any thoughts on Colton Ellis this season - his numbers look pretty good.

Also - seems like a wasted season for Evan Fitzpatrick - he needs to play somewhere.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Two goalie questions -

Any thoughts on Colton Ellis this season - his numbers look pretty good.

Also - seems like a wasted season for Evan Fitzpatrick - he needs to play somewhere.

Ellis *just* got back from a lengthy injury last week, but is looking good. He is, and has been one of the top goalies in the Q, and I’m as excited about him as I have been about Hofer. He’s a bit on the small size (not horribly so, he’s about the same size as Binner), but imo he’s got 1A potential. Very excited to see how he finishes the season and continues developing from there.

But yeah... this one is a season to forget for Fitz. He isn’t doing himself any favors certainly, and the things he’s struggling with (mostly mental stuff) are the same things he’s struggled with for his young career. I don’t think he’s tapped out entirely yet, but he’s a long ways away from the #1 ranked NA goalie in his draft year.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'd like to see Kyrou playing more, especially before Blais comes back, and the forwards have to split time among even more different players.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I'd like to see Kyrou playing more, especially before Blais comes back, and the forwards have to split time among even more different players.
Yea I'd much rather Kyrou play than Sanford. He seems to be like a Mac except Mac is much more physical, is probably faster, and I guess less skilled. However in saying that, I do actually think Mac would probably produce as much, if not more than Sanford given the icetime with Perron and ROR. Even with Kyrou's deficiencies as a defender, he has the speed and hands to take away pucks and is much more lethal as a point producer. I don't care if he's had 2 goals taken away because of offsides, one was legitimate, the other is a fluke. He should be an everyday player.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Yea I'd much rather Kyrou play than Sanford. He seems to be like a Mac except Mac is much more physical, is probably faster, and I guess less skilled. However in saying that, I do actually think Mac would probably produce as much, if not more than Sanford given the icetime with Perron and ROR. Even with Kyrou's deficiencies as a defender, he has the speed and hands to take away pucks and is much more lethal as a point producer. I don't care if he's had 2 goals taken away because of offsides, one was legitimate, the other is a fluke. He should be an everyday player.
I want Kyrou to be a contributor in the playoffs. For him to be ready to do that, he needs to play a lot more during the regular season.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
I want Kyrou to be a contributor in the playoffs. For him to be ready to do that, he needs to play a lot more during the regular season.

Fan of Kyrou and hopefully next year he's a regular in the lineup but if Tarasenkko is ready I don't see Kyrou getting any ice time in the playoffs this year.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Have been watching some clips of Washkurak. I noticed one of his teammates: James Hardie. Kid could be a really good late round pick. Sniper with a good shot. Scored 19 times out of 40 games on a bad team where every decent forward seems to be injured. Needs to improve skating and awareness, but could be a really good get with one of our 5th round picks.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Don't want to derail the prospect thread too badly, but I could not disagree any more with the bolded. MacEachern has ZERO puck skills, he would be a disaster w/ ROR and Perron. He is playing exactly where he belongs: on the 4th line.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Don't want to derail the prospect thread too badly, but I could not disagree any more with the bolded. MacEachern has ZERO puck skills, he would be a disaster w/ ROR and Perron. He is playing exactly where he belongs: on the 4th line.

MacEachern isn’t ever going to be a top line player, this is true. But I’ve been very impressed with him this season, and he gets on top of pucks so quickly, throws the body, and makes good plays. I’ve been impressed by his shot as well, although I had very low expectations. I think he’s earned a look higher up the lineup, and I’d be interested to see how he would perform along with high-skill guys like 90 and 57. This lineup is made up of such interchangeable parts, I’m not sure it would really be all that different from slotting in Sanford, or Blais, or Sunny there instead. Idk, Mac isn’t ever going to deke around somebody, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by him and ya gotta give credit where credit’s due

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
MacEachern isn’t ever going to be a top line player, this is true. But I’ve been very impressed with him this season, and he gets on top of pucks so quickly, throws the body, and makes good plays. I’ve been impressed by his shot as well, although I had very low expectations. I think he’s earned a look higher up the lineup, and I’d be interested to see how he would perform along with high-skill guys like 90 and 57. This lineup is made up of such interchangeable parts, I’m not sure it would really be all that different from slotting in Sanford, or Blais, or Sunny there instead. Idk, Mac isn’t ever going to deke around somebody, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by him and ya gotta give credit where credit’s due
I agree with stl76. Macheachern is very good at role he’s playing now, but he absolutely should not be playing higher.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’ve watched MacEachern fritter away a lot of possessions, or waste primo scoring opportunities. Early in the year, I thought he might not last with the team. But his speed, tenacity and chemistry with his linemates started to show. He surprised me, and definitely has earned his 4th line role.

But I thought of him when confirmation bias was discussed regarding Sanford. I’ve watched MacEachern make as many or more disappointing plays. Expectations for each guy are different, but I’m shocked to see fans now believing MacEachern would be a better option on a Top 9 line.

Reactions: stl76 and rumrokh

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Corey Pronman did his mid-season prospect update, and only listed 2 Blues prospects total with write ups. Kyrou being in the NHL made him ineligible, but he has Scott Perunovich at 51, while listing Joel Hofer as his 7th ranked Goalie prospect.

Klim Kostin was not ranked in the top 72 skaters, which will be viewed as controversial by some I guess.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I’ve watched MacEachern fritter away a lot of possessions, or waste primo scoring opportunities. Early in the year, I thought he might not last with the team. But his speed, tenacity and chemistry with his linemates started to show. He surprised me, and definitely has earned his 4th line role.

But I thought of him when confirmation bias was discussed regarding Sanford. I’ve watched MacEachern make as many or more disappointing plays. Expectations for each guy are different, but I’m shocked to see fans now believing MacEachern would be a better option on a Top 9 line.
He’s very good at using his speed to create havoc and take time and space away from defenders on the forecheck. But he’s extremely limited offensively. That’s okay because he’s so good at the former that he’s an effective part of that fourth line, but at this point that’s his ceiling.

Reactions: stl76

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Corey Pronman did his mid-season prospect update, and only listed 2 Blues prospects total with write ups. Kyrou being in the NHL made him ineligible, but he has Scott Perunovich at 51, while listing Joel Hofer as his 7th ranked Goalie prospect.

Klim Kostin was not ranked in the top 72 skaters, which will be viewed as controversial by some I guess.
Where did Bokk ( I know he’s traded) end up?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I agree with stl76. Macheachern is very good at role he’s playing now, but he absolutely should not be playing higher.
I could see him being effective up to a point in a role where he is getting in on the forecheck getting puck possession and creating space for his line mates, then going to the net to annoy the goalie and clean up the occasional garbage. While he's not as big or physical, I could see him functioning like a faster version of Maroon. I wouldn't mind seeing him for a few games with Perron and ROR to get a different look, but not as a long term role.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I mean you can argue that but the numbers don't favor you. Even with bad puck skills, him being on a line with Perron and ROR would likely see an increase in point totals, just as most players would. He's a hard nosed player, will go to the net, he'll do what he has to do to make a play. Even playing on the 4th line, he is 3 points away from Sanford while having better possession numbers and creating as many goals as Sanford has in much less ice time. We can argue back and forth about MacEachern, but Sanford is so wildly inconsistent that he will never be what he was touted to be.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

I don't think he is a top 9 player, but rather that Sanford is hardly a bottom 6 player. If we are going to be slapping someone on a line with Perron and O'Reilly instead of playing Kyrou, I'd rather see someone tenacious like Mac than someone passive like Sanford. Sanford CAN make amazing plays, he can create good scoring chances, he can make soft passes, but his inconsistency keeps him from doing it every game. He plays well for 4 games, goes dry for the next 10, gets benched, is re-inserted into the lineup, and the cycle continues.

My assertion to put Mac with those players isn't me believing he is some offensive force, but that Sanford can't play that role well enough. If I could have it my way, I'd be playing Kyrou and leave Mac on the 4th.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Blues and Rangers fan here. Was discussing some Blues players on the Rangers board, and even though I'm a fan I haven't followed closely enough to remember the following:

Kostin and Kyrou have each been injured in the past couple seasons. Kostin injured his knee in 2017 and his shoulder around this Thanksgiving, right? And Kyrou had a knee injury recently but has recovered and nothing else, right? Kostin is back from his shoulder injury? Thx.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Blues and Rangers fan here. Was discussing some Blues players on the Rangers board, and even though I'm a fan I haven't followed closely enough to remember the following:

Kostin and Kyrou have each been injured in the past couple seasons. Kostin injured his knee in 2017 and his shoulder around this Thanksgiving, right? And Kyrou had a knee injury recently but has recovered and nothing else, right? Kostin is back from his shoulder injury? Thx.
I believe this is correct. Both are back to full health.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

Just saying... neither were available for O’Reilly, so I would doubt either are available for Kreider. MAYBE Kostin if management has really soured on him.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Interesting possibility for late second round in draft

Jack Finley, 6'5' 207, Center

His main skillset strengths are translatable to pro hockey, such as commitment in all three zones, getting to the front of the net on offense, battling along the boards, and protecting the centre of the ice on defense.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Interesting possibility for late second round in draft

Jack Finley, 6'5' 207, Center

His main skillset strengths are translatable to pro hockey, such as commitment in all three zones, getting to the front of the net on offense, battling along the boards, and protecting the centre of the ice on defense.
Hey, that's Jeff's kid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad