Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Hofer misses what should have been an “easy” snag, as Okuliar goes high glove. Like I mentioned before, if Hofer has a weakness, it’s his glove hand.

Good shot by Okuliar though, and good speed to get some separation. We should draft him.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The Slovakian player clapped that perfectly into the top corner from inside the dot, not sure I would classify it as an "easy" snag.

It was a great shot, for sure (which is why we should draft him). But in the replays, you can see Hofer sort of handcuff himself by dropping his glove too early. When you watch Binnington, his glove is almost always up by his mask, which makes it easier to grab these kinds of shots. Allen has had the same problem in the past, and it’s a pretty easy weakness to exploit, especially at the top level when most guy can roof it glove side at will.

Also, in terms of shot locations and difficulty, there was no traffic in front, and Okuliar let it rip far enough out that Hofer shouldn’t have had much trouble seeing the puck. That’s a low danger shot that (a) Okuliar did a great job of turning into something, an (b) Hofer should have gotten a piece of.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
It was a great shot, for sure (which is why we should draft him). But in the replays, you can see Hofer sort of handcuff himself by dropping his glove too early. When you watch Binnington, his glove is almost always up by his mask, which makes it easier to grab these kinds of shots. Allen has had the same problem in the past, and it’s a pretty easy weakness to exploit, especially at the top level when most guy can roof it glove side at will.

Also, in terms of shot locations and difficulty, there was no traffic in front, and Okuliar let it rip far enough out that Hofer shouldn’t have had much trouble seeing the puck. That’s a low danger shot that (a) Okuliar did a great job of turning into something, an (b) Hofer should have gotten a piece of.
I agree with the part about his glove positioning and the comparison to Binnington, but I don't think many goalies stop this shot. He's on a partial breakaway and perfectly picks the corner with a slap shot, even if Hofer's glove is up I think there's a good chance this still goes in. The puck is released inside of the faceoff dot which is a prime scoring area in any league. I can't fault him at all on this goal, personally.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

In what universe is a shot within the circle a low danger shot?

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I know I was in a minority to think this, but I was not a fan of the USA roster.

I don’t think the defense is anything special and there are too many forwards I’m just not a fan of like Shane Pinto, Bobby Brink, etc. I would not be surprised if USA doesn’t get a medal this year unless Zegras and Turcotte can take over. Or if Spencer Knight pulls a John Gibson this year.
Flippin knew it.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

It was an uncontested clapper from the top of the faceoff circle, perfectly placed under the bar. I think you're underestimating the difficulty of that save by quite a lot. I don't know that there's a more prime example of a high danger scoring chance. Prime Dominik Hasek isn't stopping that puck very often.

As far as glove positioning goes there's always pluses and negatives associated with where you're positioning your glove. True enough that Binnington's higher glove positioning will help make it easier to snag higher shots. But it also makes you much more susceptible of shots going just over your pad and below your glove. It's all about tradeoffs. Not to mention, you need to remember the puck is coming from ice level. So if you have your glove high, you're not really covering a lot of the path the puck needs to travel. Personally I prefer a more mid level glove positioning. Takes away a lot of the lower angle still but also helps cut the top of the net off too.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Just an update for Laferrière, I know he’s not a top prospect or anything but he seems to have lost all his drive to compete on the ice. He’s on a good team with great linemates and he just floats around all game doing... well nothing.

Allegedly he’s been scratched for a violation of team rules for tonight’s game.

He’s a very talented kid but if you watch him this year you’d wonder how he got drafted.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Just an update for Laferrière, I know he’s not a top prospect or anything but he seems to have lost all his drive to compete on the ice. He’s on a good team with great linemates and he just floats around all game doing... well nothing.

He’s a very talented kid but if you watch him this year you’d wonder how he got drafted.
Well that's certainly disheartening to hear.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Saw his stats and thought this was because he was being buried in the lineup due to rust after his injury. But this sounds even worse. Lets hope he got the wake up call and takes stuff more seriously.

Reactions: Emerz

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Kostin with another goal last night in a loss. 3-game goal streak and 5 points in last 3 games. That’s encouraging.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
If you were in the building watching him make mistake after mistake, you wouldn't be as encouraged. That goal saved his game. He was one of the worst forwards last night.
The whole team is hot garbage right now, and the entire “system” is in free fall. Unless you’re Kyrou doing Kyrou things, no one has really looked good, and that can’t be good for a Russian powerforward that needs a lot of good coaching.

I don’t disagree with you, but I think it’s good to put it into context.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Hofer and Canada up 4-0 over the Fins after one period in the second semi-final game. Looks like Joel is heading to the finals game tomorrow nite vs Russia.

Boy, that Canada team has a strong group of players. Many are going to be solid NHL'ers for years to come.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
The whole team is hot garbage right now, and the entire “system” is in free fall. Unless you’re Kyrou doing Kyrou things, no one has really looked good, and that can’t be good for a Russian powerforward that needs a lot of good coaching.

I don’t disagree with you, but I think it’s good to put it into context.

I see the "power forward" thing a lot and, frankly, I dont see it. Kostin acts like there are a pack of bears in front of the net and prefers to just hang out at the half wall most nights.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Hofer and Canada up 4-0 over the Fins after one period in the second semi-final game. Looks like Joel is heading to the finals game tomorrow nite vs Russia.

Boy, that Canada team has a strong group of players. Many are going to be solid NHL'ers for years to come.

Looks like it’ll likely be a Canada-Russia gold medal game, a rematch of Canada’s worse loss in WJC history when they lost 6-0 to Russia a week ago.

I don’t see that happening again though.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I see the "power forward" thing a lot and, frankly, I dont see it. Kostin acts like there are a pack of bears in front of the net and prefers to just hang out at the half wall most nights.
Did someone say "BEARS"?

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad