Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
While watching the WJCs, I’m thinking the Blues should draft a a pair of Slovakian overagers, and probably should have drafted them last year when they had the chance to do it in the late rounds (instead of Michel and Zherenko).

Samuel Hlavaj was incredible last year in this tournament despite a lopsided sv% that doesn’t tell the whole story. He struggled to adjust to life in Lincoln, NE for the USHL Stars, but who could blame him for that? He’s on a roll for the Sherbrooke Phoenix this year, and has been a brick wall for Slovakia this year during the their game against Kazakhstan (and he moves the puck well too!).

Oliver Okuliar is another guy I thought should have gone in last year’s draft as well, based on his performance at last year’s tourney. Again, another guy who struggled with adjusting to immigration as a 17 year old, changed leagues over the summer, and is lighting the world on fire now. He’s got an A+ shot, and good hockey sense from what I can tell.

So, if the draft was tomorrow, I’m drafting three overagers to make up for swinging and missing on them last year: Jakub Dobes, Samuel Hlavaj, and Oliver Okuliar. Then spend the rest of our picks (including the first and second rounders) on left-handed dmen.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
While watching the WJCs, I’m thinking the Blues should draft a a pair of Slovakian overagers, and probably should have drafted them last year when they had the chance to do it in the late rounds (instead of Michel and Zherenko).

So, if the draft was tomorrow, I’m drafting three overagers to make up for swinging and missing on them last year: Jakub Dobes, Samuel Hlavaj, and Oliver Okuliar. Then spend the rest of our picks (including the first and second rounders) on left-handed dmen.

Here's my target list - trying to stick with players who could be available when Blues pick. A couple are probably gone before then.

Yan Kuznetsov LHD 6’3’ 201
Simon Kubicek RHD 6’2’ 194
William Wallinder LHD 6’4’ 192
Kaiden Guhle LHD 6’3’ 187
Helge Grans RHD 6’3’ 192
Alexander Nishikin LHD 6’2’ 196
Tyler Kleven LHD 6’4’ 201
Ryan O’Rourke LHD 6’2’ 183
Jake Ratzlaff RHD 6’3’ 205
Luke Prokop RHD 6’4’ 202

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I imagine it's been brought up here somewhere, but do we know what's up with Anton Andersson this season?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I imagine it's been brought up here somewhere, but do we know what's up with Anton Andersson this season?

Was wondering the same thing. Saw his page on Eliteprospects and it appears he hasn't played a game yet this year. Injured maybe?

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I know I was in a minority to think this, but I was not a fan of the USA roster.

I don’t think the defense is anything special and there are too many forwards I’m just not a fan of like Shane Pinto, Bobby Brink, etc. I would not be surprised if USA doesn’t get a medal this year unless Zegras and Turcotte can take over. Or if Spencer Knight pulls a John Gibson this year.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Here's my target list - trying to stick with players who could be available when Blues pick. A couple are probably gone before then.

Yan Kuznetsov LHD 6’3’ 201
Simon Kubicek RHD 6’2’ 194
William Wallinder LHD 6’4’ 192
Kaiden Guhle LHD 6’3’ 187
Helge Grans RHD 6’3’ 192
Alexander Nishikin LHD 6’2’ 196
Tyler Kleven LHD 6’4’ 201
Ryan O’Rourke LHD 6’2’ 183
Jake Ratzlaff RHD 6’3’ 205
Luke Prokop RHD 6’4’ 202
Another ROR? Sign me up. I haven't seen this guy play but he is clearly destined to be a player with a name like that.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Another ROR? Sign me up. I haven't seen this guy play but he is clearly destined to be a player with a name like that.
He’s a really good talent and I would not be surprised if he started to rise in the rankings. I don’t think he’s top-10 bound, but I could see him gone by pick 15 or so.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Alexandrov up to 3 points in 2 games for Russia so far, and scored the 4th goal against Canada today that got Daws pulled for Hofer. Hofer let in 2 goals, but his sv% was .909 on the game, and Russia was dominating so he must have been doing his part (and he’s got experience there for sure, having played for Swift Current last year and receiving basically 0 support during his tenure there). I would imagine he’ll take the starter role in Canada’s next game, or at least he should; Daws has just looked out of his depth the first two games so far.

If anybody was able to watch, I’d love to hear more feedback on how either of them looked!

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Hofer had no chance on the first goal, deflection at the goal mouth. Didn't see the second one. He seemed solid and the likely starter now.

Alexandrov is making the most of his ice time. No special teams but his goal was a beauty, swung wide one-on-one and then swung head to the net, crossed through the crease and beat the goalie to the far side. He's been mixing it up as well. Looks like a solid prospect for a third-fourth line role. Could be NHL ready in one more season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hofer had no chance on the first goal, deflection at the goal mouth. Didn't see the second one. He seemed solid and the likely starter now.

Alexandrov is making the most of his ice time. No special teams but his goal was a beauty, swung wide one-on-one and then swung head to the net, crossed through the crease and beat the goalie to the far side. He's been mixing it up as well. Looks like a solid prospect for a third-fourth line role. Could be NHL ready in one more season.
He did some penalty killing against Czechs. Not sure about this one. Needs to get stronger- he was too easily knocked oft puck and off his skates- but looks like he could develop into middle 6 winger.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

So it looks like Hofer came in, stopped the bleeding as best he could in the second, and then shut the Russians out in the 3rd. 20/22 shots saved overall.

I don’t know anything about that tracking software being used in the linked tweet, so I wouldn’t read too much into the rebounds/danger metrics. Interesting nonetheless.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Hofer looks like Binnington with how calm and patient he is in net. He’s got strong lateral movement too, without sliding out of position. He’s a bigger body than Binner, but if he has one weakness, it looks like his glove hand could use some work. I think that’s fixable.

I think at this point, I might feel better about Hofer than I do either of Fitzpatrick or Husso as our long-term goalie future. The kid has just been very, very good everywhere he’s been. Even when he was seeing 40-60 shots a night in Swift Current, he was keeping his sv% above .900, which is extremely difficult to do.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Hofer looks like Binnington with how calm and patient he is in net. He’s got strong lateral movement too, without sliding out of position. He’s a bigger body than Binner, but if he has one weakness, it looks like his glove hand could use some work. I think that’s fixable.

I think at this point, I might feel better about Hofer than I do either of Fitzpatrick or Husso as our long-term goalie future. The kid has just been very, very good everywhere he’s been. Even when he was seeing 40-60 shots a night in Swift Current, he was keeping his sv% above .900, which is extremely difficult to do.

Yes. 100% think he has top ceiling of our goalie prospects. He is obviously further away than a guy like Husso but I agree that Hofer is the most likely to become quality #1 goalie in NHL.

and Fitz needs to show he can be a good ECHL goalie before I can take him seriously as prospect. He has been awful this year.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Story on Hofer from TSN

“He’s a really calm goalie in net,” said Addison, who plays against Hofer in the WHL. “He never looks like he’s out of position or panicked or anything. I think any time a goalie can be calm, it relaxes the team in front of you.”

Reactions: Blueston

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Seems an odd situation with Evan Fitzpatrick.

He's been loaned to Brampton of the ECHL while the Blues affiliate there in Tulsa keeps Ollie Eriksson Ek on the roster. He's property of Anaheim.

What's up with that??

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Seems an odd situation with Evan Fitzpatrick.

He's been loaned to Brampton of the ECHL while the Blues affiliate there in Tulsa keeps Ollie Eriksson Ek on the roster. He's property of Anaheim.

What's up with that??
Anaheim doesn't have ECHL affiliate so they farm players out to various teams. And Fitz has been bad this year. Problem seems to be in his head. I actually thought he looked good in the Blues preseason game I watched until he gave up late goal from around center ice. Now he isn't even competent ECHL goalie and we had to loan him out to stink up another team.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Anaheim doesn't have ECHL affiliate so they farm players out to various teams. And Fitz has been bad this year. Problem seems to be in his head. I actually thought he looked good in the Blues preseason game I watched until he gave up late goal from around center ice. Now he isn't even competent ECHL goalie and we had to loan him out to stink up another team.

Tulsa seems to be the main 'go to destination' for Anaheim to send prospects to at the ECHL-level (they only send a couple of goalies to other ECHL teams). They send more players to Tulsa then we actually do: Since Fitz got reassigned and Dakota Joshua got called up by San Antonio we don't have a single player with a Blues contract in Tulsa. Piccinich and Jackson are there on an AHL-contract. Anaheim assigned Eriksson EK and Brent Gates Jr. while Jack Kopacka and Deven Sideroff also played there for a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad