Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Finally, Joel Hofer (Winnipeg, MB.) has been a pleasant surprise for the Portland Winterhawks (WHL). Leading all WHL goaltenders with a 1.81 GAA, Hofer has strung together 20 wins (20-4-1) including four shutouts this season.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Finally, Joel Hofer (Winnipeg, MB.) has been a pleasant surprise for the Portland Winterhawks (WHL). Leading all WHL goaltenders with a 1.81 GAA, Hofer has strung together 20 wins (20-4-1) including four shutouts this season.
With stats like that, I have to wonder how much of it is him, and how much of it is the team in front of him.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I was looking at some past Blues prospects that either were traded or not with the team anymore, and I saw Gawdin on the list. I remember being a little annoyed the Blues didn't offer him a contract, but it is what it is. Now he is doing quite well with Calgary's farm team, being one of the leading scorers there (top 2 if I remember correctly). Something weird though that I noticed, is that all of their leading scorers that aren't above the age of like 25 (or highest ppg avg) are all from the WHL. Idk if that is something to look into, or if it is just a big coincidence, but I just thought I'd share that bit of knowledge.

With stats like that, I have to wonder how much of it is him, and how much of it is the team in front of him.
His numbers are pretty stupid, but he was playing really well for a bad team in the Broncos, just before he was traded. He was getting shelled every night, which shows in his sv% while also taking into account his gaa. He still held a sv% above .900 while having an over 4 gaa, something I haven't seen ever. He didn't have a good showing during the playoffs, but he has gotten better over the summer and I think he will do well this year.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I was looking at some past Blues prospects that either were traded or not with the team anymore, and I saw Gawdin on the list. I remember being a little annoyed the Blues didn't offer him a contract, but it is what it is. Now he is doing quite well with Calgary's farm team, being one of the leading scorers there (top 2 if I remember correctly). Something weird though that I noticed, is that all of their leading scorers that aren't above the age of like 25 (or highest ppg avg) are all from the WHL. Idk if that is something to look into, or if it is just a big coincidence, but I just thought I'd share that bit of knowledge.

His numbers are pretty stupid, but he was playing really well for a bad team in the Broncos, just before he was traded. He was getting shelled every night, which shows in his sv% while also taking into account his gaa. He still held a sv% above .900 while having an over 4 gaa, something I haven't seen ever. He didn't have a good showing during the playoffs, but he has gotten better over the summer and I think he will do well this year.

Before he got traded to Portland last year, he was seeing more shots per game than any other goalie in the WHL, OHL, QMJHL, or USHL. And his sv% was still above .900. It took him a bit to re-adjust to a much stronger system in Portland that didn’t force him into every play after he got traded, but his early success this year isn’t all that surprising to me. In his draft year, he was really the only NA goalie worth drafting, imo, so I was glad we got him all the way in the 4th round. Now he’s in the Dave’s system (Alexander and Rogalski, our goalie coaches), I think he’s probably going to keep getting better from here as well. Hofer made the cut this year for Team Canada, and I expect that Ellis will get the call next year too. Goalie is probably our strongest prospect area right now, ironically.

Speaking of which, our old friend Jakub Dobes from Prospect Camp over the summer (St Louis high school kid) was so dominant in the NAHL that he’s been called up to USHL Omaha, where he has been just as, if not more dominant. He’s in his D+1 year, so I’m hoping we can snag him in June with a little more 4th round magic, perhaps. He’d be great to have in the stable, especially since he’s going the college route, we wouldn’t have to worry about finding a place for him to play for another 5-6 years.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Before he got traded to Portland last year, he was seeing more shots per game than any other goalie in the WHL, OHL, QMJHL, or USHL. And his sv% was still above .900. It took him a bit to re-adjust to a much stronger system in Portland that didn’t force him into every play after he got traded, but his early success this year isn’t all that surprising to me. In his draft year, he was really the only NA goalie worth drafting, imo, so I was glad we got him all the way in the 4th round. Now he’s in the Dave’s system (Alexander and Rogalski, our goalie coaches), I think he’s probably going to keep getting better from here as well. Hofer made the cut this year for Team Canada, and I expect that Ellis will get the call next year too. Goalie is probably our strongest prospect area right now, ironically.

Speaking of which, our old friend Jakub Dobes from Prospect Camp over the summer (St Louis high school kid) was so dominant in the NAHL that he’s been called up to USHL Omaha, where he has been just as, if not more dominant. He’s in his D+1 year, so I’m hoping we can snag him in June with a little more 4th round magic, perhaps. He’d be great to have in the stable, especially since he’s going the college route, we wouldn’t have to worry about finding a place for him to play for another 5-6 years.

Ellis will be too old for Team Canada next year. He's an Oct 2000 birthday and will be 20 before next year's tourney.
If Dobes goes the college route and excels, lets hope the college-UFA loophole is closed in the CBA by then, otherwise, even if he has been drafted, he'll be picking his next club as a free agent once he graduates or completes his playing eligibility.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Ellis will be too old for Team Canada next year. He's an Oct 2000 birthday and will be 20 before next year's tourney.
If Dobes goes the college route and excels, lets hope the college-UFA loophole is closed in the CBA by then, otherwise, even if he has been drafted, he'll be picking his next club as a free agent once he graduates or completes his playing eligibility.

I think that risk is dramatically overstated by most people. How many guys have actually exercised that option over the years? Hayes, Vesey, Adam Fox threatened to... who else? The vast majority of times, the guy ends up on his draft team. Also Dobes went to HS in STL, which basically makes him a native, so idk why he would walk away from an opportunity to wear the Blue Note.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I think that risk is dramatically overstated by most people. How many guys have actually exercised that option over the years? Hayes, Vesey, Adam Fox threatened to... who else? The vast majority of times, the guy ends up on his draft team. Also Dobes went to HS in STL, which basically makes him a native, so idk why he would walk away from an opportunity to wear the Blue Note.

Playing opportunity? If we're still a deep team, it would be silly to sign with a team where you're competing for a spot when going to a weaker team guarantees you playing time...

Alexander Kerfoot (NJ pick in 2012, signed with Colorado) and Will Butcher (2013 Colorado pick, signed with New Jersey) in 2017.

Neither were as highly hyped as Vessey, but both have arguably been more successful.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Playing opportunity? If we're still a deep team, it would be silly to sign with a team where you're competing for a spot when going to a weaker team guarantees you playing time...

Alexander Kerfoot (NJ pick in 2012, signed with Colorado) and Will Butcher (2013 Colorado pick, signed with New Jersey) in 2017.

Neither were as highly hyped as Vessey, but both have arguably been more successful.

Ah, forgot about those two. So we’re up to 5 in recent memory, not counting the guys that the *team* declined to sign (paging Dwyer Tschantz). I’m not going to count, but there have probably been hundreds of players drafted that went to college since Hayes was drafted, and if only 5 of them exercised that option, then it probably isn’t worth being concerned about, imo. Is it a possibility? Sure. But it isn’t something that should keep us up at night or prevent us from drafting who we want to draft. Especially if we’re the “hometown” team

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Ah, forgot about those two. So we’re up to 5 in recent memory, not counting the guys that the *team* declined to sign (paging Dwyer Tschantz). I’m not going to count, but there have probably been hundreds of players drafted that went to college since Hayes was drafted, and if only 5 of them exercised that option, then it probably isn’t worth being concerned about, imo. Is it a possibility? Sure. But it isn’t something that should keep us up at night or prevent us from drafting who we want to draft. Especially if we’re the “hometown” team

I'd be curious to see the numbers of how many drafted college players play their full 4 years. I don't recall the number being overly high.

That's the number that should be looked at - drafted NCAA seniors vs drafted NCAA UFAs. Most kids that stay NCAA eligible (and are drafted) turn pro after 1-2 seasons, which is why you don't see many test the college UFA status.

True, the frequency isn't there, but statistic anomaly or not, all it would take is 1 significant UFA college agent of ours walking for this forum to collectively lose our minds. Especially given the shallow nature of our prospect pool.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Some OHL updates:

Washkurak got injured last game and apparantly is out 4-6 weeks. That's a bummer because he was really playing well the last month.

There are some rumours that the Barrie Colts are trying to trade Tyler Tucker as they do not believe he's going to be back next season as an overager (eventhough the Blues haven't signed him to a ELC yet). According to OHLinsider there are 6 teams interested in him, one of them being the London Knights. Training a couple of months with Dale Hunter isn't going to hurt Tucker, so that would be cool.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Some OHL updates:

Washkurak got injured last game and apparantly is out 4-6 weeks. That's a bummer because he was really playing well the last month.

There are some rumors that the Barrie Colts are trying to trade Tyler Tucker as they do not believe he's going to be back next season as an overager (eventhough the Blues haven't signed him to a ELC yet). According to OHLinsider there are 6 teams interested in him, one of them being the London Knights. Training a couple of months with Dale Hunter isn't going to hurt Tucker, so that would be cool.

I would consider that to be a pretty safe assumption. Many 7th rounders never get signed but I’d be pretty surprised if Tucker isn’t signed as he’s way exceeded expectations for a 7th rd pick. The Blues have until 6/1/2020 to get him signed or he’d re-enter the draft later that month. Unless they’re so concerned about his skating that they don’t think he’ll be able to even compete in the AHL (I would highly doubt that), then he’s pretty easily worth a contract IMO.

His skating is still his weak spot but it’s pretty improved from his draft year so hopefully he can keep refining his skating stride and footwork.

It would be fantastic if they can get a player with a 7th rd pick.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I would consider that to be a pretty safe assumption. Many 7th rounders never get signed but I’d be pretty surprised if Tucker isn’t signed as he’s way exceeded expectations for a 7th rd pick. The Blues have until 6/1/2020 to get him signed or he’d re-enter the draft later that month. Unless they’re so concerned about his skating that they don’t think he’ll be able to even compete in the AHL (I would highly doubt that), then he’s pretty easily worth a contract IMO.

His skating is still his weak spot but it’s pretty improved from his draft year so hopefully he can keep refining his skating stride and footwork.

It would be fantastic if they can get a player with a 7th rd pick.

This sounds like Brett Ponich all over again. I'd be surprised if Tucker's footwork ever advanced enough to become a 'good' pro at the AHL level; but stranger things have happened.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
They are very different players. First of all, Tucker isn’t like 8 feet tall.
True. Ponich had zero offense and was 5 inches taller. Tucker at least has a bomb from the blue-line to offer. Both guys were amongst the worst skaters drafted in the past two decades though, requiring monumental developmental strides for a shot an an NHL career. It was clear from the get go that Ponich was never going to get his skating up to NHL par. Tucker, it's still to be determined; but they started out at similar points with (im)mobility.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
There are some rumours that the Barrie Colts are trying to trade Tyler Tucker as they do not believe he's going to be back next season as an overager (eventhough the Blues haven't signed him to a ELC yet). According to OHLinsider there are 6 teams interested in him, one of them being the London Knights. Training a couple of months with Dale Hunter isn't going to hurt Tucker, so that would be cool.

Apparantly Tucker was out of the line-up yesterday. Injured or impending trade?

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
The next Colton Parayko??? Could be a 3rd-4th round steal.

Jake Ratzlaff, RHD, 6'3' 205 Rosemount HS, U Minn commit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad