Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The Portland Winterhawks made a helluva call trading for Joel Hofer and getting him out of the garbage pile of Swift Current.

Through five games, he’s 4-1, with 1.59GAA and .946sv%.

For the Broncos, he was at 4.02GAA and .904sv%.

So that’s over HALF off his GAA and an crazy improvement on his save %. He’s also seeing over TWELVE fewer shots on average per game. That’s nuts. When Miller came over from Buffalo he saw about 10 fewer shots per game, and it was too much of a change for him. When Fitzpatrick when from Sherbrooke to Acadie-Bathurst last year, the difference was about a .4 shot/game difference. Twelve is a huge swing.

It’s a small sample size, but Hofer is looking like a very shrewd 4th-round draft pick.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Not sure if this belongs here or not, but it looks like the Kootenay Ice will be relocating to Winnipeg.

Some will remember Kootenay as the team who drafted Kostin #1OA, and he refused to report.

Good for Saskatchewan and the WHL though. It always seemed odd to me that Canada left a province out of the CHL.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The Portland Winterhawks made a helluva call trading for Joel Hofer and getting him out of the garbage pile of Swift Current.

Through five games, he’s 4-1, with 1.59GAA and .946sv%.

For the Broncos, he was at 4.02GAA and .904sv%.

So that’s over HALF off his GAA and an crazy improvement on his save %. He’s also seeing over TWELVE fewer shots on average per game. That’s nuts. When Miller came over from Buffalo he saw about 10 fewer shots per game, and it was too much of a change for him. When Fitzpatrick when from Sherbrooke to Acadie-Bathurst last year, the difference was about a .4 shot/game difference. Twelve is a huge swing.

It’s a small sample size, but Hofer is looking like a very shrewd 4th-round draft pick.
Pretty excited to see how he develops. I do believe the Blues have a few good goalies lined up, so hopefully 1 or 2 pan out to be solid contributors for the big club. Thank god we didn't trade Binnington because he's showing to be a good backup/1B starter.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not sure if this belongs here or not, but it looks like the Kootenay Ice will be relocating to Winnipeg.

Some will remember Kootenay as the team who drafted Kostin #1OA, and he refused to report.

Good for Saskatchewan and the WHL though. It always seemed odd to me that Canada left a province out of the CHL.

Did Winnipeg move to Saskatchewan?

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
Pretty excited to see how he develops. I do believe the Blues have a few good goalies lined up, so hopefully 1 or 2 pan out to be solid contributors for the big club. Thank god we didn't trade Binnington because he's showing to be a good backup/1B starter.

Agreed. Keep drafting these OHL goalies, and one of them just has to pan out in the pros,

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Uhhhhh, Canadian geography check - Winnipeg is in Manitoba...

Saskatchewan already has 5 WHL teams in the Blades, Broncos, Pats, Warriors and Raiders.

If the Kootenay ice relocate to Winnipeg, they become the 2nd Manitoba based WHL team joining the Wheat Kings.

The only province to not have a CHL hockey team is Newfoundland and Labrador. I'd hazard a guess that its rather remote access makes travel via bus rather hindering (13 hours to Québec City from Labrador city or 30 hours from Saint John's to Québec City which includes a 17 hour ferry trip).

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

I saw that. Sucks for Kootenay.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I saw that. Sucks for Kootenay.

I agree, who would want to move from the Rockies in all their splendor to the prairies - where the weather is often harsher and you don't even get the benefits of awesome snowboarding skiing and sledding terrain to show for it? Or the summer hiking and mountain biking...

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Man Poganski has really turned it on in the past month and a half. He has 14 points in 18 games iirc, starting to figure out how to play in the AHL. Could really be a good depth player for the Blues in the future assuming his defense is solid.
He always seem to turn it on as the college season progressed. Started slow played well in playoffs.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Saskatchewan already has 5 WHL teams in the Blades, Broncos, Pats, Warriors and Raiders.

If the Kootenay ice relocate to Winnipeg, they become the 2nd Manitoba based WHL team joining the Wheat Kings.

The only province to not have a CHL hockey team is Newfoundland and Labrador. I'd hazard a guess that its rather remote access makes travel via bus rather hindering (13 hours to Québec City from Labrador city or 30 hours from Saint John's to Québec City which includes a 17 hour ferry trip).

I'd like to see a team in Labrador, and I propose that they adopt a dump and chase style on offense. Their team name should be the Retrievers. It would be easy to get a mascot too.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I'd like to see a team in Labrador, and I propose that they adopt a dump and chase style on offense. Their team name should be the Retrievers. It would be easy to get a mascot too.

Did Winnipeg move to Saskatchewan?

I. Said. SASKATCHEWAN! That’s where it is now. They moved it.

(I’m dumb and I honestly have no idea what in the eff I thought I was talking about)

Reactions: Zamadoo

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Has anyone heard any update on Erik Foley? I'm assuming he's still out with his concussion from the beginning of the season, but if so that's really bad.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Has anyone heard any update on Erik Foley? I'm assuming he's still out with his concussion from the beginning of the season, but if so that's really bad.
Foley is still out with the concussion.

The length of time it takes to fully recover from one concussion isn't necessarily indicative of how susceptible a person will be to concussions in the future, or how long it might take to recover from any future concussions.

It took Perron 13 months to recover from a concussion once, for example, and he's doing just fine in the NHL now. I don't believe that was his first concussion, either.

The best thing they can do for him is not rush him back. It will only prolong the symptoms, and getting another concussion while you're still suffering symptoms from a previous one is just about the last thing you want.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

I think it would be awesome, I just don't see it being financially viable for a CHL team there (I just looked up the population, which is sub 10k according to the 2016 census). That means Saint John's is the only Newfoundland & Labrador city with a population potentially able to support a CHL franchise, with a metropolitan population of near 200,000. Which means a 20+ hour trip to any other city for their matches once you account for the required ferry trip to leave Newfoundland.

Damn I hate making that statement, I really liked the concept of the Retrievers! Sometimes having a realistic, analytical mind set sucks the fun out of things...

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

The length of time it takes to fully recover from one concussion isn't necessarily indicative of how susceptible a person will be to concussions in the future, or how long it might take to recover from any future concussions.

It took Perron 13 months to recover from a concussion once, for example, and he's doing just fine in the NHL now. I don't believe that was his first concussion, either.

The best thing they can do for him is not rush him back. It will only prolong the symptoms, and getting another concussion while you're still suffering symptoms from a previous one is just about the last thing you want.
Maybe this isn’t the best time to cite Perron about durability after a concussion.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Crosby missed from Jan 5, 2011 to Nov 21, 2011 with a concussion, then was concussed again Dec 5, 2011 and returned March 15, 2012. Then nothing until he was concussed in Oct 2016, returning to action on Oct 26th. He then was concussed in the 2017 playoffs during game 3, returning for game 5 of the same series.

My point is that Crosby missed anywhere from a few days to nearly 11 months with concussions. There's absolutely no telling how long recovery will take - that's a tremendous amount of varience with the same person during his recoveries.

All I can say is I feel for Foley, I can't imagine how difficult dealing with prolonged concussion issues would be at his age.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Maybe this isn’t the best time to cite Perron about durability after a concussion.
Last I heard that was still speculative. Has it been confirmed?

Either way, he's played an awful lot of NHL games since that concussion without a significant relapse. Certainly it didn't effectively end his career, as a number of people here feared it would.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Last I heard that was still speculative. Has it been confirmed?

Either way, he's played an awful lot of NHL games since that concussion without a significant relapse. Certainly it didn't effectively end his career, as a number of people here feared it would.
I'm not arguing with your point, just lamenting that he's out (and during a hot stretch at that).

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

Thanks. I figured that was the case since there haven't been any updates on him. I agree concussions are tricky and there's no set recovery time as it varies based on numerous factors. What I meant was that it's just bad to see a guy sitting out for so long, I agree that you can never rush someone back from an injury. But having seen so many guys have their careers ended prematurely you just have to hope that, he is able to start progressing in his recovery.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Crosby missed from Jan 5, 2011 to Nov 21, 2011 with a concussion, then was concussed again Dec 5, 2011 and returned March 15, 2012. Then nothing until he was concussed in Oct 2016, returning to action on Oct 26th. He then was concussed in the 2017 playoffs during game 3, returning for game 5 of the same series.

My point is that Crosby missed anywhere from a few days to nearly 11 months with concussions. There's absolutely no telling how long recovery will take - that's a tremendous amount of varience with the same person during his recoveries.

All I can say is I feel for Foley, I can't imagine how difficult dealing with prolonged concussion issues would be at his age.
I actually read an article about Crosby's 11 month concussion that said he was having concussion symptoms, but they found out it was actually due to neck strains/stiffness. I had similar cases two times, which is why I was doing the research.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not arguing with your point, just lamenting that he's out (and during a hot stretch at that).
Yeah it is a shame.

It actually is great how durable he’s been though. Since that concussion from Thornton, Perron has played in at least 70 games every single season.

He plays a physical game too and is always going to the dirty areas and front of the net.

As for Foley, he could very well miss the entire season perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad