Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
From Pronman today’s Top 100 prospects not in the NHL.

Criteria:
A player is no longer considered an NHL prospect if he has played more than 25 NHL games in any single season, 50 career NHL games or is older than age 27 as of Sept. 15, 2018. All other players are considered eligible.

His scoring system:
To help illustrate players’ strengths and weaknesses, each player profiles has the grading scale I use for players’ attributes. I am a fan of the 20-80 scale, borrowed from baseball. The 20-80 range represents three standard deviations from the mean, a grade of 50. A grade of 50 means the skill projects as NHL average in that category, 55 is above average, 60 is top 33 percent, 70 is top 10 percent, 80 is one of the best of all-time. A 45 is below average, 40 is fringe NHL level. A 20 is beer league level. Given how a normal distribution usually looks, most grades are within the 40-60 range. I almost never assign an 80 unless it’s Connor McDavid’s skating; in fact, I’ve assigned no 80s to any prospect on this list. I only make note of a shot grade when a player stands out in that regard.
I split players up into tiers that will be seen throughout this feature. Here is how you should interpret them:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Mittelstadt

4. Robert Thomas, C, St. Louis

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 45
Hockey sense: 65
Thomas was the most dangerous player I saw in the OHL last season and was the MVP of the playoffs. He’s a fantastic do-it-all type of forward with no clear weakness. His puck skills are fantastic, and he has near elite-level hockey sense. Thomas drives play due to his skill and offensive instincts, as he’s always dangerous, sees the ice very well and is always finding a way to create a scoring chance. His speed isn’t at the same level as those other traits, but he skates well and has a powerful first few steps. He’s not the biggest guy, but Thomas is a reliable defensive center who can kill penalties and take tough minutes. He has the potential to be a No. 1 center.

16. Jordan Kyrou, RW, St. Louis
Skating: 65
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 40
Hockey sense: 60
Kyrou was named the Most Outstanding Player in the OHL after scoring at a near two points per game rate. He has dynamic qualities in his game. He’s a great skater and puckhandler who can push the pace and make highlight-reel rushes. Kyrou’s decision making used to worry me, but he’s getting better in that regard and his playmaking looked very good this season. He’s averaged about an assist per game for the past two seasons. He still can be prone to the odd bad turnover, but you take a lot of the good with some of the bad. His shot is solid, as well. His play off the puck can still be better, particularly physically, but with the puck, he can change a shift. He could be an impactful scorer in the NHL.

21. Dominik Bokk, RW, St. Louis
Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 65
Hockey sense: 55
Bokk’s pure puck skill is up there with the very best in his draft class. He dances with the puck on his stick and can make flashy dekes seem routine. His hands also translate to making him one of the best pickpockets (of pucks) I’ve seen at his age. He’s a good playmaker who looks to makes plays to his teammates and has the patience and skill to hold the puck and let an option develop. He can finish chances, too, and when he’s played internationally, the German team has looked to him as a trigger man. His skating is fine, not explosive, but good. The main criticism of him is off the puck. He’s not a very intense physical player nor is he great defensively.

40. Klim Kostin, RW, St. Louis
Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 65
Hockey sense: 55
Kostin was one of the better players at the world juniors but was just so-so in his first AHL season as an 18-year-old. He has a unique combination of attributes because he’s 6-foot-3, can play a power forward style of game but also has the skill to make plays. I’m consistently impressed by Kostin’s vision and ability to create from the perimeter due to his hands and IQ. He gets to the net well and can be tough to dislodge from pucks due to his frame. His skating isn’t a standout tool, but it’s about average. Kostin will need to up his pace for the pro game. He also had some consistency issues in the AHL with his reads.

89. Samuel Blais, LW, St. Louis
Skating: 45
Puck Skills: 60
Hockey sense: 60
Blais has been a significant riser in recent years. He sat around a point per game in his second pro season and had a strong training camp with the Blues. Blais’ calling card is his offensive ability. He’s a highly skilled playmaker with high-end hockey sense. He can make things happen on the power play and has the vision to make difficult passes. Blais is not the quickest or most engaged player off the puck, and working on rounding out his game in terms of improving his speed and conditioning will go a long way to solidifying himself in the Blues’ lineup.

Tage Thompson doesn’t make his list.

Goalies don’t appear listed either.

A player is no longer considered an NHL prospect if he has played more than 25 NHL games in any single season, 50 career NHL games or is older than age 27 as of Sept. 15, 2018. All other players are considered eligible.

Last edited:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Goalies seem to have been added to the end since I first read this.

1. Samsonov
2. Demko
3. Sirokin
4. Shesterkin
5. Hart

6. Ville Husso, St. Louis

Husso was one of the better goalies in the AHL and looks on the cusp of making the jump to the NHL. He thinks the game at a very high level, showing great anticipation in his positioning with his big frame and looks unique with some of the creative ways he stops pucks. He’s not a dynamic athlete, but he moves more than adequately in the net and competes for loose pucks. Husso is more at home being calm and outsmarting the opponent than flying all over his crease. He has all the tools to be an NHL goalie.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I can't wait for the reactions honestly. Vancouver and Montreal fans are going to lose their shit over it lol....then say Pronman is a hack. I got so sick of hearing how he's a Poehling level prospect when not 1 single list by a prominent writer has them in the same tier.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I still don't really understand the Thomas hype fully, but I'm excited to see if he proves me wrong. To reach that potential as a 1C he's going to have to put up at least 60 points while still playing his very solid defense. I don't honestly see it, but if he does we essentially have two Ryan O'Reilly's. I'd be down with that for sure.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I still don't really understand the Thomas hype fully, but I'm excited to see if he proves me wrong. To reach that potential as a 1C he's going to have to put up at least 60 points while still playing his very solid defense. I don't honestly see it, but if he does we essentially have two Ryan O'Reilly's. I'd be down with that for sure.

For me it is Thomas' ability to adapt to different styles. London and Hamilton played completely different systems, he adjusted and excelled in both places. Canada wanted him to play more a shutdown role. He excelled at that. Blues used in every situation up in Traverse City and he was clearly the best person on the team, made a lot of plays that others just couldn't finish.

Now is he overhyped by us and even Pronman? Yes I think he is and I'm guilty of being part of that group. He is the first prospect that Blues have drafted as a center with 1C upside since what Berglund?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I hope he has a good camp, if he has to pass through waivers. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get picked up, especially by Chicago.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I hope he has a good camp, if he has to pass through waivers. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get picked up, especially by Chicago.

I can't see Schmaltz getting put on waivers. If all defensemen are healthy, we'll carry 8 until we can trade one, probably Gunnarsson.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I can't see Schmaltz getting put on waivers. If all defensemen are healthy, we'll carry 8 until we can trade one, probably Gunnarsson.
Depends how he looks. If he doesn't look good, I wouldn't be surprised at all anymore if he was.

Schmaltz is basically Ty Rattie now, who was waived. Kris Russell was waived by the Blues. I hope Schmaltz does make the team but we continue to put him on a pedestal because he was a 1st round pick. Better players than him have been waived. He's not this prized possession that we need to get a ton of value back for, because I doubt he even has much at this point. If he doesn't do enough to make the team in camp and the Blues start offering him around the league, teams will see the writing on the wall that he's basically done here and will just wait to get him for free.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Depends how he looks. If he doesn't look good, I wouldn't be surprised at all anymore if he was.

Schmaltz is basically Ty Rattie now, who was waived. Kris Russell was waived by the Blues. I hope Schmaltz does make the team but we continue to put him on a pedestal because he was a 1st round pick. Better players than him have been waived. He's not this prized possession that we need to get a ton of value back for, because I doubt he even has much at this point. If he doesn't do enough to make the team in camp and the Blues start offering him around the league, teams will see the writing on the wall that he's basically done here and will just wait to get him for free.

Right, Schmaltz is Rattie. You can tell he has talent, but I doubt he's ever good enough to play full-time. The same group that gave Parayko and Dunn a ton of time, doesn't think Schmaltz is good enough for anything more than super-sheltered and limited minutes. He's just not good enough IMO.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I like Thomas but apparently not as much as Pronman does.

For me, I’d have Elias Pettersson a lot higher. 2nd or 3rd - right there with Svechnikov.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Right, Schmaltz is Rattie. You can tell he has talent, but I doubt he's ever good enough to play full-time. The same group that gave Parayko and Dunn a ton of time, doesn't think Schmaltz is good enough for anything more than super-sheltered and limited minutes. He's just not good enough IMO.
There's a bit of a difference in who they'd be trying to displace.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I like Thomas but apparently not as much as Pronman does.

For me, I’d have Elias Pettersson a lot higher. 2nd or 3rd - right there with Svechnikov.
Didnt Petterson's uber season have alot more to do with previous top end swedes leaving the SHL a year earlier? I remember reading that someone. Someone said he's closer to Granlund then Forsberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad