Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
In most European countries, most television networks are government owned (like the BBC) with little or no ads to pay for content; that's where the tv tax goes. The upside is that you get to watch the programs all the way thru without a break every seven minutes to endure ads for douches, hair implants, etc. And no political attack ads! I remember when Lehtera first came over he said one of the things that amazed him most about America was the sheer number of ads on tv.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
In most European countries, most television networks are government owned (like the BBC) with little or no ads to pay for content; that's where the tv tax goes. The upside is that you get to watch the programs all the way thru without a break every seven minutes to endure ads for *****es, hair implants, etc. And no political attack ads! I remember when Lehtera first came over he said one of the things that amazed him most about America was the sheer number of ads on tv.
I cant stand "live TV". I endure it for hockey though

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's why we've been seeing the rise in stuff like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. People are willing to pay for tv without ads, but it should be their choice. I prefer how it is in the States when these options are available. I watch minimal tv now anyway.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For a few years now, I’ve been purposely starting to watch the recording of Blues games about 45 min after the game starts. That way I can fast forward through the commercials and intermissions and be caught up to live by late in the 3rd.
I'd do this for football back when the Rams were in St. Louis. I'd waste less of my Sunday this way, but was still left wondering why I even bothered watching them.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
For a few years now, I’ve been purposely starting to watch the recording of Blues games about 45 min after the game starts. That way I can fast forward through the commercials and intermissions and be caught up to live by late in the 3rd.
I like to "live" post on here too much to do that

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I do the exact same thing in gamecenter. Helps that I live in the mountain time zone...basically get to start the game at the "regular" time and still skip intermissions/commercials. For example, if a game starts at 7:10 in St. Louis, I can start it at 7:10 local time and already have an hours worth of junk to skip.

For big games tho (playoffs, rivals, important for standings, etc) sometimes I just have to watch live.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That’s what I do also, or even a couple hours later. Where I live it’s easy to avoid finding out the result.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
That’s what I do also, or even a couple hours later. Where I live it’s easy to avoid finding out the result.

Yeah, the main drawback is I have to stay off of these boards, FB etc to not spoil the score but I’ve never been big on posting in the GDTs during the game so that’s fine for me.

But as someone else said, if it’s a big game or I really have nothing else to do and the game starts, I’ll just watch it live.

But with 2 little ones now, there’s probably going to be plenty of nights I either don’t see the game at all or just see parts of it.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Where Pronman ranked all Blues prospects?

nvm found it.

Interesting Mikkola wasn't that high on Pronman's list when noting how good he's. :huh:

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Where Pronman ranked all Blues prospects?

nvm found it.

Interesting Mikkola wasn't that high on Pronman's list when noting how good he's. :huh:
I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people in his first season in NA. Pronman seemed pretty down on his offense but reports from Europe suggest he has a big shot and both times I saw him at prospect camp he seemed more like a forward than a defender. I expect him to come closer to a left handed Parayko than topping out as an AHL player.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Whenever I see him I always just think "New Roman Polak". Which isn't an insult as I thought Roman was a solid 4-5 defensemen when he wore the Note.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Mikkola had a down year relative to his past performances. I’m not worried about it, I still think he can be a good player and I think in our system his offense will flourish (kinda like Edmundson), but it’s not surprising that Pronman would be not as high on him as this forum is.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
As I posted in another thread, I really respect Pronman and I appreciate his insight and knowledge, but he is not without bias. His emphasis is mostly on offensive skill, (which explains his popularity!), but there are other ways that a player can contribute. Mikkola may not have as high a ceiling, as say, a Pronman favourite like Perunovich, but that does not mean that the "skill set" that Niko brings is not without value. Shut down defenseman still play a vital role, even in today's' NHL, as long as they have the adequate skating and puck handling skills to keep up with the play. Mikkola undoubtedly has both. His value is increased even more, IMO, because he possesses that nasty disposition that keeps opposing players on their toes, a la Chris Pronger. I am very confident that Mikkola will have a successful NHL career as a #4-6 defenseman with the Blues.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As I posted in another thread, I really respect Pronman and I appreciate his insight and knowledge, but he is not without bias. His emphasis is mostly on offensive skill, (which explains his popularity!), but there are other ways that a player can contribute. Mikkola may not have as high a ceiling, as say, a Pronman favourite like Perunovich, but that does not mean that the "skill set" that Niko brings is not without value. Shut down defenseman still play a vital role, even in today's' NHL, as long as they have the adequate skating and puck handling skills to keep up with the play. Mikkola undoubtedly has both. His value is increased even more, IMO, because he possesses that nasty disposition that keeps opposing players on their toes, a la Chris Pronger. I am very confident that Mikkola will have a successful NHL career as a #4-6 defenseman with the Blues.

That's not a high ceiling though, especially when you factor in the increasing need for defenseman to contribute to offense. He feels like a complimentary defender.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
That's not a high ceiling though, especially when you factor in the increasing need for defenseman to contribute to offense. He feels like a complimentary defender.

True, but I don’t recall anyone really ever projecting Mikkola as having potential beyond being a complementary d-man. But a solid 2nd to 3rd pairing guy is still good to have. And if you can get one with a 5th round pick? Score!

All that said, I’m not quite ready to drink the Mikkola kool-aid just yet. I’d like to see how he looks in the AHL before I truly start thinking about where he might slot into the Blues lineup at some point in the future. I’ve liked what I’ve seen of him so far but I’d like to see him prove it in the AHL before I really start to get excited about possibly NHL potential.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Bolded: is very true. He's by far most physical dmen what we had in Blues since Pronger. Jax played tough and 'fatherish' style, but Mikkola's has same heart, but he can literally throw man out of crease and hit them on boards so next time they will hesitate to go there if Mikkola is on ice.

Mikkola don't have offensive tools like Dunn, Pietro, but I'll take dmen who can play every game TOI/GP ~25:00 with 2:30-4:30 at PK icetime without any powerplay icetime.

Mikkola would benefit if he had d-pair who is offensive dynamo.

Extremely interesting to see how good camp Mikko will give us.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Justin Selman, former college signee out of Michigan who spent the last 3 years battling injuries in the pros and was ultimately buried in Tulsa last year, has retired according to the Oilers’ website. Doesn’t make a ton of difference in the grand scheme of things, but that was pretty clearly a poor use of a contract spot from the get-go.

He joins Francois Tremblay and Tyrel Seaman as the third Blues prospect to retire from the game since 2011 when the Armstrong’s took over.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Brett Ponich Will he continue his career? 2009 2nd round pick #49

He looks he has gone downhill a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad