Blues Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Depends how he looks. If he doesn't look good, I wouldn't be surprised at all anymore if he was.

Schmaltz is basically Ty Rattie now, who was waived. Kris Russell was waived by the Blues. I hope Schmaltz does make the team but we continue to put him on a pedestal because he was a 1st round pick. Better players than him have been waived. He's not this prized possession that we need to get a ton of value back for, because I doubt he even has much at this point. If he doesn't do enough to make the team in camp and the Blues start offering him around the league, teams will see the writing on the wall that he's basically done here and will just wait to get him for free.

It doesn't have much to do with his draft pedigree for me. I think he has looked dominant in the AHL and not out of place in the NHL, so I want to see more of him in the NHL. Then again, I still think Rattie should have gotten a longer look on a lot of the teams he played with too. Kid has put up decent points given such sporadic playing time over his multiple short NHL stints. Schmaltz might be a nothing NHL player, Rattie probably is worthless as an NHL player. But I believe in giving people who earn it at the lower level a real shot before writing them off. It's not always possible. I get that. But I like to see them get their shot when it is possible. a game or two here for 8 minutes a game, and a game or two there for 9 minutes a game spread over multiple seasons is not a real shot.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I feel like Dunn was able to break in because of injury and then took the reins and ran with it. Maybe it’s just my feelings that are off

Maybe, but he was much more effective to me than Schmaltz. If you can't beat out Bortozzo, then it's not a good sign. Dunn also looked better when I saw them play for the Wolves.

Reactions: rumrokh

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Pronman loooooves him some Robert Thomas

Found this interesting pic of Pronman...explains a lot actually:

7vQIkhX.jpg

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Safe to say Opilka's career is over. Not a huge loss for us but got to feel bad for the kid.

Yeah, I swear I’ve seen the same note on Opilka 3 years in a row now - will miss camp, out indefinitely with hip surgery.

How many hip surgeries is this for him now? 3? 4?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
And yeah, bad that Foley got another concussion. I still need to go back and re-watch the CLB game to see if I can find that hit that concussed Foley.

He got a concussion his last game of college hockey too. Hopefully he can overcome this stuff.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
And yeah, bad that Foley got another concussion. I still need to go back and re-watch the CLB game to see if I can find that hit that concussed Foley.

He got a concussion his last game of college hockey too. Hopefully he can overcome this stuff.

Yeah, seems to me a lotta Blues fans were real high on him after the Stastny trade, which I was on board with also. Too bad about the concussion setback at Traverse City. I’m sure many fans, like me, were hoping for good things at camp from him.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
What did you guys think of prospect Tyler Tucker? Any chance he will crack the roster down the road?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
What did you guys think of prospect Tyler Tucker? Any chance he will crack the roster down the road?

You never know how someone is going to develop through the years, but from what I've seen: not a chance he'll make it. I mean, it would be cool if your 7th round pick made the NHL but he needs to develop.... well, a LOT. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see that happening.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
You never know how someone is going to develop through the years, but from what I've seen: not a chance he'll make it. I mean, it would be cool if your 7th round pick made the NHL but he needs to develop.... well, a LOT. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see that happening.
LOL thanks for the reply! Was just wondering because we love him in barrie. Very physical player thats not afraid to drop the mits. I do agree that he won't make it either but you never know lol.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
LOL thanks for the reply! Was just wondering because we love him in barrie. Very physical player thats not afraid to drop the mits. I do agree that he won't make it either but you never know lol.

FWIW, I’m not as pessimistic. Yes, he’s unpolished, but he looked better (to me) than either of David Noel or Trent Bourque, two other lower-tier prospects who have been around longer. I like his physicality, but he seems to be pretty good if not inconsistent at maintaining gaps, choking up corners, and moving the puck up the ice. If his skating can improve, he’ll have a shot. Joel Edmundson was much the same way, and now he’s nearly indispensable in our top 4, so you never know. I loved the pick, and I’m glad he’s in our system as I look forward to following him this year.

Good luck on yall’s season, feel free to come back and give us some updates every once and awhile!

Reactions: Colts 5656

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

I like Tucker a good amount better than the rest of our recent 7th rd picks. Like his style of play but yeah, lots that need to improve for him to have a shot at the NHL, in particular his skating from the small sample size I saw of him at Traverse City.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Tucker's physicality is great (I mean this sincerely, he is great at throwing his weight around), but his skating is nowhere near pro quality. Right now, his skating is simply not good enough to recover if he gets even a little bit out of position to throw a hit. Tucker will need to make massive strides (pun intended) to improve his footwork and speed if he ever wants to make the AHL, much less NHL.

He got beat numerous times wide at the Traverse city tournament, simply couldn't handle the speed of some opposing players. Completely over matched. I noticed quite a few times he would try to challenge a player at the opposing blue line or in the neutral zone and when they got around him he was just toast...couldn't recover and the left his defensive partner out to dry, usually ended in a dangerous scoring opportunity.

If he can transform his skating, maybe he could be a bottom pairing guy. I'm am not very hopeful, but would love to be wrong.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Tucker's physicality is great (I mean this sincerely, he is great at throwing his weight around), but his skating is nowhere near pro quality. Right now, his skating is simply not good enough to recover if he gets even a little bit out of position to throw a hit. Tucker will need to make massive strides (pun intended) to improve his footwork and speed if he ever wants to make the AHL, much less NHL.

He got beat numerous times wide at the Traverse city tournament, simply couldn't handle the speed of some opposing players. Completely over matched. I noticed quite a few times he would try to challenge a player at the opposing blue line or in the neutral zone and when they got around him he was just toast...couldn't recover and the left his defensive partner out to dry, usually ended in a dangerous scoring opportunity.

If he can transform his skating, maybe he could be a bottom pairing guy. I'm am not very hopeful, but would love to be wrong.
Much agreed thanks for the reply!

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Small update, but Anton Andersson was drafted by Fargo in the USHL last season and was - by some accounts - expected to report. That still might happen, but for now he’s playing for Lulea’s J20 team in Sweden. Three games and an assist so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad