Pre-Game Talk: Blues @ Oilers Oct 20 7:00PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I love the *****ing and whining in all these threads even though we are 3-1. Let that sink in. We are tied for 2nd in the NHL. We also have two guys who are top 10 in points in the NHL (McDavid and Draisaitl) and we haven't had a significant injury yet in the top 6. How about some people cool their jets and start complaining when we are on a 5 game losing streak. I've stepped away from these boards for a few days and I was expecting more positive threads but nope. The same old **** storm. :shakehead

No offense but it's an Internet forum. The sole purpose of it is to debate and discuss. Forgive fans who don't get all excited 4 games into the season, after a decade of losing. I suggest you take another break if you're looking for positivity, because you're not gonna find it here any time soon.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
If this was 1 or 2 lost trades, fair enough comment to get over it. But seriously we are 10 years out of the playoffs and still losing trades or not getting reasonable value back. No, management needs to be reminded of this 24-7. Improving a team short term, but losing a trade long term is no way to win a cup.

take it to the "I'm sad about the Hall trade" thread

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No offense but it's an Internet forum. The sole purpose of it is to debate and discuss. Forgive fans who don't get all excited 4 games into the season, after a decade of losing. I suggest you take another break if you're looking for positivity, because you're not gonna find it here any time soon.

It's complaining for the sake of complaining. We won? **** RNH! STL comes to town? Man we sure miss that Nail Yakupov! Beat Calgary twice? Russell is overpaid!

North

Jun 25, 2009
Yeah. THAT'S what happened.

images

The thing is St. Louis has a far more structured team. They can afford to play Yak on the top line because the other players can cover for his defensive deficiencies.

The Oilers couldn't. Hall was no defensive wizard. RNH has been getting better and better defensively.

The d men were not great either.

In Edmonton, Yak came to a place that could never put him in a position to succeed.

I'd argue any bad team would have resulted in the same issues.

He needed a more structured team from the start.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I know someone will reply to this with some type of "drinking the cool-aid", "sheep", etc. comment, but my god lighten up. If this team makes you this miserable, or if your attitude in life is this miserable then maybe its time to change something.

Conversely, if this board is making you miserable, then maybe it's time for something to change.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Conversely, if this board is making you miserable, then maybe it's time for something to change.

I actually think it's amusing that people are so gung-ho on driving themselves into absolute misery over nothing. Every little thing this team does (or doesn't do) gets dissected into a thousand pieces and people lose their minds over it.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
It's complaining for the sake of complaining. We won? **** RNH! STL comes to town? Man we sure miss that Nail Yakupov! Beat Calgary twice? Russell is overpaid!

What's wrong with debating as long as points are backed up? Some people actually bring valid arguments. But they usually get drowned out by the "you're so negative" posts.

Like I said, it's tough to have arguments around here without people calling you a "hater" or chiming in with "typical HF negativity"

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What's wrong with debating as long as points are backed up? Some people actually bring valid arguments. But they usually get drowned out by the "you're so negative" posts.

Like I said, it's tough to have arguments around here without people calling you a "hater" or chiming in with "typical HF negativity"

But more often than not the points are super shallow. RNH doesn't have any points so he must not be doing anything out there. Meanwhile Yakupov has one good game (out of 4 so far) and people lose their minds over it.

The team is above .500 for the first time in years. Try to enjoy it while it lasts. Complain when they start losing consistently.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I'm amazed at how many are cheering against the Oilers because their fandom for a failed player supersedes their fandom for the team itself.

Then again this is HFOil where being bipolar is normal

Yeah, its honestly quite pathetic that some people think this way. If you're so fed up and spiteful towards the organization that you'd rather see an ex-player succeed rather than the organization, then I think its time to move on and go cheer for a different team or do something else with your free time.

yeh god forbid people have opinions and still support ex-oiler players and still want them to succeed. Just because we're oilers fans doesn't mean we can't be fans of other players outside our team.

Cheering for ex-oilers =/= hate towards oilers. hoping Yak scores a hatty doesn't mean they want Oilers to lose.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
yeh god forbid people have opinions and still support ex-oiler players and still want them to succeed. Just because we're oilers fans doesn't mean we can't be fans of other players outside our team.

Cheering for ex-oilers =/= hate towards oilers. hoping Yak scores a hatty doesn't mean they want Oilers to lose.

Errr.... Sorta. It definitely means they want him to stick it to the Oilers after he sucked for 4 years. That's not cheering for the Oilers. If you want him to score against other teams that's fine but him scoring against us really doesn't help the Oilers in any fashion.

I hope the Oilers crush Yakupov and the Blues tonight.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

You can't be serious. There's cheering for Yak to succeed, and then there's cheering for Yak to score a hat trick against the Oilers. How on earth does that help the team win. If Yak scores a hat trick, chances are we lost the game because they have far more dangerous players on that team. Look I'm fine with cheering for Yak to do well in STL, as I am doing so myself. But to say "man I hope Yak scores a hat trick against the Oilers to spite management for ruining/trading him" is just ridiculous. Don't kid yourself, there are numerous posters on this board that would rather see the team fail to prove themselves right, than succeed and prove them wrong, and frankly its quite strange to need that kind of validation.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I hope Yak gets destroyed out there tonight with a boomer right through the glass. He is now the enemy as far as the Oilers are concerned, so **** him. Same goes to any other X Oiler, including Hall.

I'm not invested in the Blues. I'm cheering for the team I've been watching since the 80's..

The Blues suck.

EDIT: I obviously agree with FlyingV and the others who are supporting the same team as myself.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It's really not that complex. I hope Yak goes on to have a successful career, he's a good kid.

I just hope that successful career starts on Saturday and not today. :D

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Errr.... Sorta. It definitely means they want him to stick it to the Oilers after he sucked for 4 years. That's not cheering for the Oilers. If you want him to score against other teams that's fine but him scoring against us really doesn't help the Oilers in any fashion.

I hope the Oilers crush Yakupov and the Blues tonight.
just like you hope Oilers crush Yak and Blues tonight, If a fan hopes Yak scores a hatty but Oilers win 5-3, that makes him anti-oilers? how is that fan any different than you?

and even IF an oiler fan says we'll lose, have you seen the Blues lineup? what's wrong with thinking a superior/playoff team will win?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues fan here. Just a touch of clarification. Yakupov is in the top 6 but doesn't play the minutes. The ice time varies per player. He plays less then 15min a game while Tarasenko is usually around 20min.

Also, why was Yakupov considered average in speed? He's obviously not McDavid fast but the kid can absolutely fly. Very explosive skater, even if does look like he's being chased by bees lol

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I think the PP has to be a difference maker tonight.
They'll probably handle us 5 on 5.

Good thing is we have not looked anywhere near our best yet, but still have a few wins in the bag.
Little confidence won't hurt trying to get to that next level early this season.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Yeah, its honestly quite pathetic that some people think this way. If you're so fed up and spiteful towards the organization that you'd rather see an ex-player succeed rather than the organization, then I think its time to move on and go cheer for a different team or do something else with your free time.

Your calling out other posters as "pathetic" and "spiteful" is classic, raw-raw, JJ Oilerism.

You don't have an exclusive right to ensure all Oiler fans cheer for the team within the set of guidelines you set forth. It is ok for some of us to love the team, the players and hate the nepotism and management that has dragged this franchised through the mud for 10 years yet keep making sure the raw-raw fans remain just that ... raw-raw.

Did you ever think that some of us who saw this train wreck coming 10 years ago knew that getting rid of the poison that is KLowe and his clowns might be the only way to fix this team and set it right. As of right now, the same poison is in the room and until it's gone, the same mistakes will kneecap this team ... I am sorry those raw-raw blinders you bought into don't allow you to see it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
just like you hope Oilers crush Yak and Blues tonight, If a fan hopes Yak scores a hatty but Oilers win 5-3, that makes him anti-oilers? how is that fan any different than you?

and even IF an oiler fan says we'll lose, have you seen the Blues lineup? what's wrong with thinking a superior/playoff team will win?

Because it's showing dismissal for the management of the team. I don't think the Oilers will win, but I hope they do.

And I'd be much more pleased if they won 5-0 than 5-3. Yak can go pound sand.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Your calling out other posters as "pathetic" and "spiteful" is classic, raw-raw, JJ Oilerism.

You don't have an exclusive right to ensure all Oiler fans cheer for the team within the set of guidelines you set forth. It is ok for some of us to love the team, the players and hate the nepotism and management that has dragged this franchised through the mud for 10 years yet keep making sure the raw-raw fans remain just that ... raw-raw.

Did you ever think that some of us who saw this train wreck coming 10 years ago knew that getting rid of the poison that is KLowe and his clowns might be the only way to fix this team and set it right. As of right now, the same poison is in the room and until it's gone, the same mistakes will kneecap this team ... I am sorry those raw-raw blinders you bought into don't allow you to see it.

You clearly don't give a single **** about the Oilers. Still with the same ****** baghead avatar, not a single positive thing to say ever. You don't like the team yet you follow them. Maybe you should look into that masochism deal. It might be your thing.

The Oilers are 3-1 and all you can talk about is not getting enough value for a crappy 8 goal scorer who has accomplished absolutely nothing in the past 4 years. Nothing about beating Calgary twice. Nothing about bouncing back from a tough loss. Nothing about hoping the team wins tonight. You call yourself an Oiler fan? Ha! And I'm Will Smith.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Blues fan here. Just a touch of clarification. Yakupov is in the top 6 but doesn't play the minutes. The ice time varies per player. He plays less then 15min a game while Tarasenko is usually around 20min.

Also, why was Yakupov considered average in speed? He's obviously not McDavid fast but the kid can absolutely fly. Very explosive skater, even if does look like he's being chased by bees lol

Appreciate the clarification. This particular board is going to be a friggin nightmare before, during, and after the games, and probably through the weekend as well.

Should be a few good laughs to be had :naughty: I feel bad for the Mods..they'll be pretty busy so I hope everyone can keep a cool, even keeled pace around here..

#whoamIkidding

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
So flame tickets on stubhub for the game tonight are 7$ american for a ticket. Pretty pathetic that their fanbase struggle to sell out games, especially when edmonton rolls in there and pounds them. What a sad excuse for a franchise. 7$ is absolutely pathetic for a canadian fanbase. Flames are garbage

http://www.stubhub.com/calgary-flam...&qtyq=false&dUpg=true&sort=price+asc&bla=true

friend showed me this, just pathetic.

I hate flames as much as anyone else here, but let's not forget that as recently as 2 seasons ago you could get very similar deals for our own team on stubhub. I personally went to games for about $10-15 CAD many times that season.

I mean, ours was after a decade of losing and hopelessness and theirs was because of a couple losses to start a season, but still.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
You can't be serious. There's cheering for Yak to succeed, and then there's cheering for Yak to score a hat trick against the Oilers. How on earth does that help the team win. If Yak scores a hat trick, chances are we lost the game because they have far more dangerous players on that team. Look I'm fine with cheering for Yak to do well in STL, as I am doing so myself. But to say "man I hope Yak scores a hat trick against the Oilers to spite management for ruining/trading him" is just ridiculous. Don't kid yourself, there are numerous posters on this board that would rather see the team fail to prove themselves right, than succeed and prove them wrong, and frankly its quite strange to need that kind of validation.
I agree that the kind of people in your last statement are wrong.
but just because a fan hopes a former oiler pots one or two or three doesn't mean they want the team to lose. this isn't the first time a former oiler will score on oilers and it won't be the last. chances are, Yak might get one tonight, and cheering when he does so, isn't wrong or anti-oiler if in the end they want Oilers to come out on top.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

In case you missed it
https://www.nhl.com/news/oilers-hire-chiarelli-as-president-general-manager/c-765015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad