Pre-Game Talk: Blues @ Oilers Oct 20 7:00PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I count four former Oiler forwards on this Blues team! Should be an interesting game to say the least and the first real test to be measured by.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Nice to see Yakupov playing on the 1st line already, instead of a 4th line checker. Show them Yak, show them!

Show them what? That he decided to play within a system and earn his spot?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm amazed at how many are cheering against the Oilers because their fandom for a failed player supersedes their fandom for the team itself.

Then again this is HFOil where being bipolar is normal

duul

Jun 21, 2010
We have a player who can win games almost by himself. A big game by Talbot and McDavid can let us beat any team in the league. If RNH gets going here, I can see us outplaying St. Louis. We can forecheck just as hard as they can, but their defence is much better than ours. I have a feeling Connor feels he has something to prove, and he does. He captained this team to two terrible performances the past two games and I don't think he will let that happen 3 games in a row.

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
It seems pretty simple to me:

If the Oilers don't play their best game, they lose.

If the Oilers don't play their best game for all 60 minutes, they lose.

If the Oilers take stupid penalties, they lose.

If the Oilers can't score 5-on-5, they lose. STL has 93% PK. PPs probably aren't going to help us.

If the Oilers establish good puck possession early, play a simple game, move their feet, and don't try to be flashy, they can win.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I count four former Oiler forwards on this Blues team! Should be an interesting game to say the least and the first real test to be measured by.

so basically we need to score 5 to win

honkerhitter

Feb 27, 2016
It seems pretty simple to me:

If the Oilers don't play their best game, they lose.

If the Oilers don't play their best game for all 60 minutes, they lose.

If the Oilers take stupid penalties, they lose.

If the Oilers can't score 5-on-5, they lose. STL has 93% PK. PPs probably aren't going to help us.

If the Oilers establish good puck possession early, play a simple game, move their feet, and don't try to be flashy, they can win.

I agree 100%, it seems for this team getting all that to mesh is to much to ask.. Reminds of the Mike Tyson quote " Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the Face!!

The Oilers always have a game plan but it doesn't take much effort for the other team to make them Deviate from the plan..
I hope Yak has a good career with the Blues, just hope he doesn't score against us, I'd be tickled to see him pot a hatty against the "DyingEmbers"..

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Show them what? That he decided to play within a system and earn his spot?

Yeah. THAT'S what happened.

images

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Hurricanes needed to be beaten a certain way. Blues need a different style of game to be played in order for the Oilers to win. They will play that different style tonight and will be victorious. Calling for a 5-1 Oiler win tonight with the lone Blues goal scored by Yak.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I'm amazed at how many are cheering against the Oilers because their fandom for a failed player supersedes their fandom for the team itself.

No, its because the management failed to develop the player properly or get full value for him ... a common theme here.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I love the *****ing and whining in all these threads even though we are 3-1. Let that sink in. We are tied for 2nd in the NHL. We also have two guys who are top 10 in points in the NHL (McDavid and Draisaitl) and we haven't had a significant injury yet in the top 6. How about some people cool their jets and start complaining when we are on a 5 game losing streak. I've stepped away from these boards for a few days and I was expecting more positive threads but nope. The same old **** storm. :shakehead

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
No, its because the management failed to develop the player properly or get full value for him ... a common theme here.

Yak was never gonna get full value so get over it. While the Oilers didn't help, Yak didn't help his case and improve his game to justify any 'perceived' value he may have had.

I swear some of you would just rather watch former players beat the Oilers even if it was the SCF.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Yeah, its honestly quite pathetic that some people think this way. If you're so fed up and spiteful towards the organization that you'd rather see an ex-player succeed rather than the organization, then I think its time to move on and go cheer for a different team or do something else with your free time.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, its honestly quite pathetic that some people think this way. If you're so fed up and spiteful towards the organization that you'd rather see an ex-player succeed rather than the organization, then I think its time to move on and go cheer for a different team or do something else with your free time.

I mean, I want to see ex-players like Hall and Yakupov succeed for sure because I like them and they did lots for the organization and city while here, but to actively cheer for them against us is because you're so jaded with the organization means you should probably take a break from being a fan for a while.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Yak was never gonna get full value so get over it. While the Oilers didn't help, Yak didn't help his case and improve his game to justify any 'perceived' value he may have had.

I swear some of you would just rather watch former players beat the Oilers even if it was the SCF.

If this was 1 or 2 lost trades, fair enough comment to get over it. But seriously we are 10 years out of the playoffs and still losing trades or not getting reasonable value back. No, management needs to be reminded of this 24-7. Improving a team short term, but losing a trade long term is no way to win a cup.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
If this was 1 or 2 lost trades, fair enough comment to get over it. But seriously we are 10 years out of the playoffs and still losing trades or not getting reasonable value back. No, management needs to be reminded of this 24-7. Improving a team short term, but losing a trade long term is no way to win a cup.

Having the need to individually win every trade is exactly what makes you a MacTavish or Tambellini. You can't make a good team if you're focused on winning every individual trade in isolation.

We made trades that we lost on value in exchange for better team balance and fit, and hey, guess what, we're 3-1. It's almost as if addressing what's best for the team is a better strategy than winning individual trades.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I love the *****ing and whining in all these threads even though we are 3-1. Let that sink in. We are tied for 2nd in the NHL. We also have two guys who are top 10 in points in the NHL (McDavid and Draisaitl) and we haven't had a significant injury yet in the top 6. How about some people cool their jets and start complaining when we are on a 5 game losing streak. I've stepped away from these boards for a few days and I was expecting more positive threads but nope. The same old **** storm. :shakehead

Yup, I've been posting far less over the past few days because the negativity here is honestly tiring. This fan base can never look at the positives, only the negatives. For example, all anyone wants to do is ***** about the team defence giving up too much, but if you've watched any hockey over the last 2 weeks its a pretty common theme that most teams are playing very loose defence and giving up a ton of chances. Its the start of the season, what do people expect? Now, I'll admit my own negativity towards Talbot's play to start the year, he hasn't been good enough and its annoying, but he'll get better as the season progresses. With that said, I don't sit and dwell on it, parroting the same thing over and over again on a daily basis.

Some people need to learn how to move on and look at the bright side every once in a while. As you said (and I'll add some of my own) we're 3-1, we haven't had any super serious injuries to key players, we have 2 scorers in the top 10, we have gotten depth scoring from every line and multiple players, and our D transition better than we've seen in a decade.

I know someone will reply to this with some type of "drinking the cool-aid", "sheep", etc. comment, but my god lighten up. If this team makes you this miserable, or if your attitude in life is this miserable then maybe its time to change something.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We traded a ~10 goal scorer that doesn't play solid defense. What did you think we'd get?

He's not exactly blowing the doors off in STL. Tyler Pitlick is currently outscoring him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad