OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I'm reading Bob Probert's autobiography right now, and he mentioned that when he left Detroit the Blues offered him the most money as a free agent but he preferred to play in Chicago. According to him, Detroit was only offering $800k a year, Chicago was $1.5 million for 4 years and St. Louis offered him $2.4 million/year over 5 years and yet he chose to play for the Hawks. I found that pretty shocking for several reasons, and crazy how much money Norris division rivals were willing to pay for the guy who had tormented them for years.

Imagine if we had landed Probert for 5 years? Holy smokes. Probably wouldn't have been a great use of the cash, considering he was just coming off a year of rehab but what a show that would have been. He would have been a part of the '95-6 team that eventually had Gretzky on it. Him and Twist on the same team? Crazy thought!

Reactions: mike1320

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Just saw news Texas milloin ppl without electricity.

Schools closed etc. I wonder there is real snow like over 1 meter snow in one day, but it say it's just 10cm.

I almost choked.

Welcome Finland. Jeesus. We have 8-9 month of year snow.

I have one time get stuck on snow in my life with car. Snowed over 50cm at night and party weekend / eastern and ppl who clean roads of snow were all sleeping. So there was no clear roads anywhere. So I have to walk 3km in over 50cm snow to get work. That was just funny.

Reactions: joe galiba

mike1320

Schools closed etc. I wonder there is real snow like over 1 meter snow in one day, but it say it's just 10cm.

I almost choked.

I have one time get stuck on snow in my life with car. Snowed over 50cm at night and party weekend / eastern and ppl who clean roads of snow were all sleeping. So there was no clear roads anywhere. So I have to walk 3km in over 50cm snow to get work. That was just funny.
You're comparing two entirely different climates here. Most houses in Texas don't have a heat source outside of a fireplace that's used more for ambiance vs actual heat. Plus, they don't have resources in place to clear snow from the roadways.

I'm sure if you ever visited Texas in the summer you'd get a real good idea of how different the climates are.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
You're comparing two entirely different climates here. Most houses in Texas don't have a heat source outside of a fireplace that's used more for ambiance vs actual heat. Plus, they don't have resources in place to clear snow from the roadways.

I'm sure if you ever visited Texas in the summer you'd get a real good idea of how different the climates are.
Was going to post something similar. It’s like expecting the north to be fully capable of dealing with tropical storms. Or avalanches in the desert. They are ill equipped for obvious reasons.

One gripe I have is overhead prowler lines in general. So many problems can be averted by putting them underground but these companies would rather take the risk.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

My house has no fireplace and very poor insulation for the type of cold we're experiencing now. We've been without water for 2 days, but power has fortunately maintained. The power outages are going to be the subject of a state level investigation, and they should be because this type of lapse is life-threatening.

My house has two air conditioning units, as most houses more than a couple bedrooms have here. You need it during the summer.

There is almost no capacity to deal with snow/ice removal on the roads. But they're pretty damn good at hurricane clean up and flooding.

All that said, I'm moving to Montana next month. I'm sure my new place will have a fire place!

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
My house has no fireplace and very poor insulation for the type of cold we're experiencing now. We've been without water for 2 days, but power has fortunately maintained. The power outages are going to be the subject of a state level investigation, and they should be because this type of lapse is life-threatening.

My house has two air conditioning units, as most houses more than a couple bedrooms have here. You need it during the summer.

There is almost no capacity to deal with snow/ice removal on the roads. But they're pretty damn good at hurricane clean up and flooding.

All that said, I'm moving to Montana next month. I'm sure my new place will have a fire place!
Sounds like you got the job! Congrats!

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

I almost choked.

There are people in Texas that have literally never seen snow lol

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We have been without power at our house in Houston since 12:30 this afternoon. Is ridiculous. Not like it’s -30 or something. Temp fell into teens. Unacceptable that this could take down power grid in 2/3 state.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
We have been without power at our house in Houston since 12:30 this afternoon. Is ridiculous. Not like it’s -30 or something. Temp fell into teens. Unacceptable that this could take down power grid in 2/3 state.
my brother-in-laws family all live in Texas, in Houston or Dallas,
all 5 houses between them have had the pipes freeze and power has been intermittent
it seems sort of surreal in this day and age

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
my brother-in-laws family all live in Texas, in Houston or Dallas,
all 5 houses between them have had the pipes freeze and power has been intermittent
it seems sort of surreal in this day and age
24 hours and still no power. No water either. Massive failure. No way this should happen.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
When it warms up enough, there is going to be a huge problem with getting everyone's water working, pipes and mains bursting and probably not enough plumbers/plumbing supplies to get to everyone quickly
I hope I am wrong about that part

the power issues in a state like Texas are ridiculous, it simply shouldn't happen as a lot of Texas does get ice and snow often enough to anticipate

Reactions: Blueston

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My grandparents, who are in their late 70s, live in Texas and they're currently lucky enough to be in a hotel right now with electricity. They had to sleep in their truck one night to stay warm before finding a hotel that had a room open.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
My grandparents, who are in their late 70s, live in Texas and they're currently lucky enough to be in a hotel right now with electricity. They had to sleep in their truck one night to stay warm before finding a hotel that had a room open.
Our electricity is uninterrupted, thank goodness. Going on 72h without water, though. And the area is mostly without power, so the grocery store and gas stations aren't operable.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We have -28 celcius now and next 3 days it's going to snow, prediction is 40cm snow. Normal winter. Soon I put woods in the sauna and have relax time there in + 80 celcius.

Reactions: The Electrician

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
@Blueston, @joe galiba, @Stupendous Yappi

Any good news guys? I played Positive Vibrations for you this morning hoping for good news today.

Me to this situation: "The power of Bob Marley compels you!"
My wife was able to wait in a long line and fill her gas tank. They had diesel or premium only. Still have power (and heat), still no water. I’ve been using pool water in buckets to flush the toilets.

Reactions: TK 421

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
My wife was able to wait in a long line and fill her gas tank. They had diesel or premium only. Still have power (and heat), still no water. I’ve been using pool water in buckets to flush the toilets.

Glad to hear you're managing it the best you can. I'll be worrying about you guys until it's resolved so hopefully the water situation improves soon.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
We have -28 celcius now and next 3 days it's going to snow, prediction is 40cm snow. Normal winter. Soon I put woods in the sauna and have relax time there in + 80 celcius.

I always meant to ask if you had a sauna but you're a Finn so of course you do lol. The U.P. in Michigan has tons of people of Finnish descent and they brought their love of saunas with them. I have one at my camp in the U.P. right on the lake and it's my favorite spot in the whole world.

Going to build one in my STL backyard this coming fall.

Reactions: The Electrician
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad