OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I started reading ‘The Eye of the World’.

Want to stagger these with Abercrombie’s stuff.

I’m goin’ for it!
The first couple pages of The Blade Itself I knew it was up my alley. Friends had been urging it on me for a few years. I should have listened sooner.

Wheel of Time, I remember enjoying the first novel, with a couple wonderful action sequences that were breathless. The world building was captivating. But as one novel turned into 4 or 5, I didn’t see the story really moving forward much and those breathless moments were missing or simply way too far between. I hope you enjoy it.

Someone mentioned Discworld and Terry Pratchett. His style is light and fun, with a surprising amount of philosophy hidden within the jokes. The novels are short and quick reads. I would recommend his collaboration with Neil Gaiman as a good starting point. “Good Omens”. It’s a stand alone novel and not part of Discworld. Maybe strays a bit farther from true fantasy, but it captures his style and is a fantastic story.

I would consider Discworld novels to be almost a parody of fantasy.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Made it through book 3 of WoT on someone's recommendation before deciding it wasn't worth the time investment. If I'm reading fiction I enjoy sci fi.

3 favorite authors in order - Frank Herbert, Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden

Abnett is busy cashing checks from Marvel doing work I couldn't possibly care less about while neglecting a series I do care a great deal about. First book came out in 2012 Dan, you're making George Martin look busy so get your tea sipping ass in gear.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Made it through book 3 of WoT on someone's recommendation before deciding it wasn't worth the time investment. If I'm reading fiction I enjoy sci fi.

3 favorite authors in order - Frank Herbert, Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden

Abnett is busy cashing checks from Marvel doing work I couldn't possibly care less about while neglecting a series I do care a great deal about. First book came out in 2012 Dan, you're making George Martin look busy so get your tea sipping ass in gear.
I’m primarily a scifi reader. Lately I’ve been working my way through Iaian M Bank’s Culture novels. I’ve already mentioned The Expanse on here multiple times, but have enjoyed those too. Some older favorites are David Brin and Lois McMaster Bujold.

I think I’ve read every sci-fi novel written by Isaac Asimov (there are a LOT) and Frank Herbert. I have not read the stuff published in the Dune story after Herbert died.

Reactions: TK 421

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I've been on Stephen King kick lately. In the last 6 months I've read The Outsider, The Institute, The Langoliers and just finished Revival last night. I'm about to start in on Pet Sematary.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
I’m primarily a scifi reader. Lately I’ve been working my way through Iaian M Bank’s Culture novels. I’ve already mentioned The Expanse on here multiple times, but have enjoyed those too. Some older favorites are David Brin and Lois McMaster Bujold.

I think I’ve read every sci-fi novel written by Isaac Asimov (there are a LOT) and Frank Herbert. I have not read the stuff published in the Dune story after Herbert died.

At the very least I would read Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune. They wrap up the series really well and they're based on Frank's vision for how the story was intended to end. His son Brian and Kevin Anderson did a great job imo, nobody can be Frank Herbert but they did his legacy justice.

Also recommend the Legends series where they discuss the origins of groups you already know and the Butlerian Jihad. It really gives context to a great deal of the original story.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
I just finished A Clockwork Orange for the 3rd time. Written by Anthony Burgess in a weekend, it's a dystopian classic written very colorfully by an author who was also a skilled linguist.

I appreciate talent like that and I always get a kick out of his use of language. The entire book is narrated 1st hand by the principal character using a slang dialect the author calls nadsat. It's a mix of Russian, Yiddish and English which can make it a bit difficult to follow at first but damn if it isn't catchy oh my brothers.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I've been on Stephen King kick lately. In the last 6 months I've read The Outsider, The Institute, The Langoliers and just finished Revival last night. I'm about to start in on Pet Sematary.

Talk about a depressing and upsetting ending (to think about), sheesh.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Off-topic of the off-topic topic in the off-topic thread.... The best thing MGK ever did for his career was leave rap and start doing punk rock with Travis Barker.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Cards in talks with Rockies for Arenado after years of flirting with the idea. I imagine Gorman or Walker(whichever one the Rockies like more) would be going back the other way. I hope we don't lose Liberatore in the deal, but if you're getting one of the best players in baseball you're going to have to give something up. I'm pretty much fine with any prospect not named Carlson going back the other way. I like a lot of our guys, but they're still prospects and Arenado is the real deal.

Still don't like our chances against the powerhouses in the MLB, but at least we should be able to compete with teams like San Diego and Atlanta. I like our chances of winning the Central quite a lot.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Arenado career away from Coors
BA .263
OBP .322
OPS .793

there are a lot of 3b who are better offensive players and not at elite level pay

in case anyone asks, this was what I was telling myself so I wouldn’t be disappointed when we didn’t get arenado for the third year in a row

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So I get alerts when someone uploads an image to threads I’m not even part of. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?
I’ve had the same thing happen. Suddenly tons of notifications for stuff you don’t normally follow. There’s something screwy that happens if you upload an image that automatically subscribes you to the images forum. Every time I upload something, I have to go in and manually shut it off.

Reactions: Spear

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I’ve had the same thing happen. Suddenly tons of notifications for stuff you don’t normally follow. There’s something screwy that happens if you upload an image that automatically subscribes you to the images forum. Every time I upload something, I have to go in and manually shut it off.
That definitely sounds like a glitch. I'm passing it up the food chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad