Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I used to enjoy video games until I started boardgaming. I find video games to have too little mental stimulation now, and many have too linear of plotting. Nothing beats a good strategy game pitting yourself against smart human opponents. I've yet to find an AI that can be as creative and unpredictable as a sharp human opponent. Being a bit of an introvert, its a good way to keep more face to face interaction too. I watch my son, and most of his 'socializing' is done with the headset during gaming. Its not the same thing.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Go download Apex Legends on PS4/Xbox/PC. It's the offspring of Overwatch, Fortnite, PUBG and Call of Duty.

You'll thank me later.

Its made by the team that developed Titanfall 2, which was an amazing and criminally under-appreciated game. Apex is also Free to play with only cosmetic micro-transactions and everything for sale is unlockable through gameplay, ie a non-predatory payment model.

I haven't had the chance to play yet, and probably won't play it much as multiplayer shooters aren't my thing. But it looks awesome and I really hope Respawn gets some love.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
How long til EA messes up Apex Legends because of its growing popularity.?
When the end of next quarter approaches and they need to squeeze every last dollar to bump up the earnings report to prevent a second consecutive disaster

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Best video game of all time is Pokémon Gold. I know that I'm biased because that was my first game, but it had so many features and replay value that it - and the other main story Pokémon games, by extension - are so beloved by many fans.

Reactions: Default

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If I had to choose the best video game of all-time I’d say it’s Mario Kart (the original). That’s an all-time classic and anyone can play it. I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t have fun playing that.

Reactions: tfriede2

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I used to enjoy video games until I started boardgaming. I find video games to have too little mental stimulation now, and many have too linear of plotting. Nothing beats a good strategy game pitting yourself against smart human opponents. I've yet to find an AI that can be as creative and unpredictable as a sharp human opponent. Being a bit of an introvert, its a good way to keep more face to face interaction too. I watch my son, and most of his 'socializing' is done with the headset during gaming. Its not the same thing.
I used to love playing Stratego against friends. Playing against the same person 10+ times and coming up with new strategies to mislead them is a lot of fun. Haven't played in a long time though.

This just made me check if there is Stratego online and there is AND it's free. Oh man. I'm so ready for this :laugh:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I used to love playing Stratego against friends. Playing against the same person 10+ times and coming up with new strategies to mislead them is a lot of fun. Haven't played in a long time though.

This just made me check if there is Stratego online and there is AND it's free. Oh man. I'm so ready for this :laugh:
There is an antire hobby of games designed that are light years beyond stuff like Stratego. I grew up with that stuff too, but the modern board games are much more interesting and clever. It’s an adult hobby. I have a weekly game group at my house of up to 10 people that play this stuff.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
If I had to choose the best video game of all-time I’d say it’s Mario Kart (the original). That’s an all-time classic and anyone can play it. I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t have fun playing that.
My younger cousins didn't enjoy playing because there was no mercy on the Rainbow Road

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
My younger cousins didn't enjoy playing because there was no mercy on the Rainbow Road

I bought my daughter a switch and MarioKart 8 is so frustrating in that you can't fall of the map at all. If you try to go and cut a corner or something, it guides you towards the middle. And in the one or two places where you may fly your kart of the map, it sets you down in like 1 second. That's what was so great about the older games. No catering to beginner players, and you really had to hone your skills to finish first on some of those maps. #oldmanyellsatcloud

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
I bought my daughter a switch and MarioKart 8 is so frustrating in that you can't fall of the map at all. If you try to go and cut a corner or something, it guides you towards the middle. And in the one or two places where you may fly your kart of the map, it sets you down in like 1 second. That's what was so great about the older games. No catering to beginner players, and you really had to hone your skills to finish first on some of those maps. #oldmanyellsatcloud
Tbh that's just how it is for games nowadays. They're so easy to me it's actually laughable. Especially for the Mario Kart games, Mario Party, and all those other classic Nintendo games that keep getting games added to the series. Luckily my friends also enjoy N64/Gamecube games so I can still play the old classics.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Tbh that's just how it is for games nowadays. They're so easy to me it's actually laughable. Especially for the Mario Kart games, Mario Party, and all those other classic Nintendo games that keep getting games added to the series. Luckily my friends also enjoy N64/Gamecube games so I can still play the old classics.

Some games. But not all games. Some of the most punishingly difficult games have come out in the last few years. Completely finish Celeste on normal difficulty and then tell me games are laughably easy. Or try Cuphead, the Dark Souls games, Bloodborne, Nioh, Darkest Dungeon, Hollow Knight, Salt and Sanctuary, Super Meat Boy, etc All are excellent games. All are brutally tough.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Seriously? No mention of Skyrim? Hands down the greatest game of all time. It's like the LeBron James of video games in that it actually lived up to all of the ridiculous hype leading up to its release.

Here's my top 10:

1. Skyrim
2. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Bioshock
4. CoD 4: Modern Warfare
5. Super Smash Bros 64
6. Half Life 2
7. Halo 2
8. Halo
9. Goldeneye
10. Left 4 Dead

Honorable mentions: Dark Souls II, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Gold, GTA IV, Half Life, Baldur's Gate II

Red Dead Redemption games are really good, but overrated IMO. Also, **** Fortnite.

Last edited:

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
On another note, is anyone else excited for the possibility that Amazon/Apple/Microsoft/etc. will be releasing the "Netflix of Video Games" sometime next year? I can't believe it's finally happening. The idea that I can get instant access to all of the games I listed above (many of which I don't have anymore) is beyond incredible.

Amazon reportedly wants to launch a streaming service for video games next year

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
On another note, is anyone else excited for the possibility that Amazon/Apple/Microsoft/etc. will be releasing the "Netflix of Video Games" sometime next year? I can't believe it's finally happening. The idea that I can get instant access to all of the games I listed above (many of which I don't have anymore) is beyond incredible.

Amazon reportedly wants to launch a streaming service for video games next year
Yeah I’m excited about this but I’m wary of how it will actually turn out. I like EA’s current model of paying $100 or $15 a month for access to almost all of EA’s titles. That’s a step in the right direction. The problem is every publisher can’t do that because people can only be subscribed to so many platforms before it starts to burn a hole in their wallet. Something truly like a Netflix for video games, with access to thousands of games both new and old, would be absolutely incredible. It all depends on the price and the library. Emulators already exist for so many old games that subscribing just for those would be a waste. It would need to include newer titles within a month or two of release and be affordable for most people. If they can find a way to make it profitable at $20-$25 a month I think it will be huge. Could be a licensing nightmare though with all of these exclusives that are expected to sell consoles. The idea sounds incredible, but the logistics are going to be daunting.

Fez Whatley

Jun 7, 2015
The nvidia shield already offers a game streaming service. I haven't really checked it out too much, but they seem to have a good selection.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
The nvidia shield already offers a game streaming service. I haven't really checked it out too much, but they seem to have a good selection.

We are taking about different things. I'm referring to absolute cloud gaming free from the constraints of actually having to own a gaming PC or console. Just really good internet, and something like a Fire TV which provides the marketplace. The future is simply having an internet connection and tapping in to the super computers which will be running the games for you at a remote location. No consoles. No PC's. Just a TV connected to a device with internet connection. The problem is that the monthly fee is super expensive at this point, but if we can get to a point where cloud gaming is like $20-25/month, it would ideal.

This is what I am referring to when I mention that Amazon is moving into the gaming market. They are trying to build super servers that people can simply connect to via their Fire TV and the internet. Games are all pre-loaded on the servers. The tricky part is creating enough servers in the right locations to reach the most people. It will probably be a while before this is a reality, but apparently the rumor is that Amazon is coming out with something big next year.

Last edited:

Fez Whatley

Jun 7, 2015
The shield is just that, it's not a console or pc. It's in the same vein as an apple TV or roku. It also happens to have a game streaming service off of their own servers.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Rocket League and Warcraft 2 are the two games I have spent the most time on.

I think Rocket League is the most pure sports game ever designed and it has a lot of similarities to hockey.

Warcraft 2 is severely flawed but it’s flaws actually forced it to be even more simplistic than it actually was. You don’t need a RTS game to have 3 completely different races to be full of strategy. I think it’s the chess of RTS games. Had a blast with the multiplayer back in the day. Still remember being blown away sitting in the SLU Pc lab (went there for day camp as a kid in the summers) and playing other people over the LAN.

Reactions: Klank Loves You
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad