Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The one thing I didn't want coming into the season would be a Patriots-Rams Super Bowl. If they make the obvious call in the Rams game and Dee Ford doesn't line up in the neutral zone in the Patriots game then it's a Saints-Chiefs finale.

I still absolutely hate the NFL OT rules. I'm actually legitimately surprised they haven't switched to college OT rules... imagine all the extra commercials they could fit in.
I said the same thing. It actually makes no sense how they do it. I don't understand how you can just increase one team's chances of winning by a freakin coin toss.

Whatever though. At least today's games were exciting. But I agree about Rams-Patriots. I'm rooting for the Patriots because I'll never support the Rams again - and I also highly respect how good Brady and Belichick are - but it's simply not interesting to see the Patriots in there once again.

Dec 15, 2002
I'd like to thank my ISP for yet again f***ing up my connection at the apartment so I have to go another 3 days without service - and this time, without being able to use someone else's connection [because they either got disconnected or have it turned off]. I'd also like to thank them for making me sit here Thursday morning waiting for someone to show up and fix it, so I have to both miss work and be unable to participate in meetings until I get re-connected.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
One time I almost moved to Russia:

Just after the Berlin Wall came down, so did the Cold War.

As such, America and the USSR decided to do a scientist exchange.

My father came home one day and proclaimed at dinner that there was a 50% chance of us moving to Moscow in the next few months.

He asked for our views and we never went.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’m “rooting” for the Pats in the sense that if they win the Rams lose. I’m already surrounded by Pats fans and I can’t imagine they can get any more miserable to be around. So what’s another championship for them if it means that no good sack of shit Kroenke falls short. Haven’t decided if I’m going to bother watching because a Rams-Patriots Super Bowl where Maroon 5 performs in the middle of it sounds about as terrible way to spend a Sunday night as I can imagine.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
ite1su60ht2z.gif

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Blues posted a video narrated by Jaden Schwartz about the donor match found at the Blues game and their meeting. It was very well done. Going to get registered to donate this afternoon after work.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
Let's go anyone but the Patriots or the Ra- ....

... ****. 3rd year in a row I won't watch the Super Bowl - and truth be told, I don't miss it at all at this point.
Me neither. I've watched one game this season and it was boring.

The one thing that looks good for the NFL is quarterback play has gotten better.

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
I’m “rooting” for the Pats in the sense that if they win the Rams lose. I’m already surrounded by Pats fans and I can’t imagine they can get any more miserable to be around. So what’s another championship for them if it means that no good sack of **** Kroenke falls short. Haven’t decided if I’m going to bother watching because a Rams-Patriots Super Bowl where Maroon 5 performs in the middle of it sounds about as terrible way to spend a Sunday night as I can imagine.
All around pretty awful.

I will prolly tune in at the start of the 4th quarter.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
People dying in cold weather in US. Jeesus that is normal weather in here. I understand there is homeless people, but still its odd.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
People dying in cold weather in US. Jeesus that is normal weather in here. I understand there is homeless people, but still its odd.

People just aren't prepared for it. Don't have proper clothing or know how to operate in the conditions.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
How well would Finland fare in a month-long heat wave up to 112 degrees Fahreneit? People die in those conditions, too, if they're not prepared.

Its a tragedy, but it usually comes down to individuals that didn't take the threat of weather seriously. All the means to safely make it through that weather are fairly easily accessible. Even the homeless have resources available to them to protect them from such weather, if they choose to use them (local churches and other shelters) in nearly every case. But they are homeless for a reason (mental illness, addiction) and usually don't use good judgement.

The cases that disturb me most are the elderly who were at home with no one checking on them to have adequate heat, food and water.

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
I lived in Vegas for a year and one inch of snow shut the city down. No snowplows. No salt trucks. No anything having to deal with snow. Preparation is being echoed.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

People die in Finland due to cold as well. It just doesn't make the news as it isn't associated with something newsworthy. No, death itself is not newsworthy as people die every day, about 150,000 of them worldwide. Its not newsworthy in Finland, because as you said, its normal winter weather. It is far out of the norm here, so it makes the news as do the deaths related to it.

Here is a scholarly article from Univeristy of Oulu in Finland tracking deaths due to weather in Finland from both heat and cold in the early 2000s. There is an uptick in deaths attributed to both, but cold is more significant, with somewhere between 2 and 7 percent of all annual deaths being due to the cold on any of the given years of the study. That's an average of 2,380 cold-related deaths per year during that time frame in Finland.

Let this be a lesson in talking based on observation alone without having any of the facts. More often than not, you are talking out your ass, and are plain wrong when doing so. Its a good lesson for this forum.

Reactions: Ranksu

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
People die in Finland due to cold as well. It just doesn't make the news as it isn't associated with something newsworthy. No, death itself is not newsworthy as people die every day, about 150,000 of them worldwide. Its not newsworthy in Finland, because as you said, its normal winter weather. It is far out of the norm here, so it makes the news as do the deaths related to it.

Here is a scholarly article from Univeristy of Oulu in Finland tracking deaths due to weather in Finland from both heat and cold in the early 2000s. There is an uptick in deaths attributed to both, but cold is more significant, with somewhere between 2 and 7 percent of all annual deaths being due to the cold on any of the given years of the study. That's an average of 2,380 cold-related deaths per year during that time frame in Finland.

Let this be a lesson in talking based on observation alone without having any of the facts. More often than not, you are talking out your ass, and are plain wrong when doing so. Its a good lesson for this forum.
Welcome back!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Did you even read the article? Two locations, different result, random factor and reason of mortality those short time frame can give you questionable result.

I only find out finnish people drink too much alcohol mid-summer which gives high peakes for deaths. :laugh:

It was also written hypothermia is rare death reason in Finland. Traffic and drowning common in younger people and for the older people cardiovascular and respiratory deaths are common death result.

Funny you looked up about this topic, but really sorry if I offended you or your close friends or families about cold weather.

btw that bolded sounded like your are bit butt hurt about what I write. Haven't you learn anything?

HmEH3Se.png

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Welcome back!

Thanks. I am still lurking. I just had to correct a factual error that nobody dies of the cold anywhere but the US.

Did you even read the article? Two locations, different result, random factor and reason of mortality those short time frame can give you questionable result.

I only find out finnish people drink too much alcohol mid-summer which gives high peakes for deaths. :laugh:

It was also written hypothermia is rare death reason in Finland. Traffic and drowning common in younger people and for the older people cardiovascular and respiratory deaths are common death result.

Funny you looked up about this topic, but really sorry if I offended you or your close friends or families about cold weather.

Yes, I did read the article, so I know the author brought up and then refuted the points you are bringing up. That is how scholarly articles work. You have to make assumptions, so you point out the potential flaws of your own assumptions. But you then show why the methods you chose minimized those flaws, so as they don't impact the study. As an example, regarding different locations, the author wrote: "A reanalysis of the temperature–mortality relationship using temperatures from the southern locality (Jokioinen) alone gave essentially similar results." So the two locations didn't have a major effect the data, nor did any of the other things you mentioned.

You also never specifically mentioned hypothermia. You only mentioned "People dying in cold weather". That is what the article discussed. If you want to deal with hypothermia specifically, 66 people died of hypothermia in Finland in 2016 (source). That is less than the total that died in the polar vortex (21 per BBC). We don't know how many of those were hypothermia. Even assuming all, that’s less than Finland.

While Finland sees extreme cold for much longer periods of time, the population is much, much smaller. The Chicago metro area alone has 9.5M people, which is almost twice the population of all of Finland. Finland has a population of 5.5 million, so in 2016, 0.0012% of the population died from hypothermia. 90 million people faced the worst of the polar vortex in the US (according to the BBC article linked above). The 21 deaths represent a far less 0.000023% of the population that died in the US as a result of the extreme cold. That is 1/52nd of the rate in which people in Finland died from hypothermia in 2016. The population difference more than makes up for the length of time, unless Finland experiences that type of weather for 100+ days.

So no, Finnish people aren't some mythical creatures who can walk out into -50 degree wind-chill in their underwear for hours and suffer no ill-effect. Nor are Americans so weak or stupid they cannot survive a little cold. Whatever other jingoistic narrative you are implying with your insensitive trolling is neither factual nor relevant. People die in extreme cold, in every country that experiences extreme cold. It happens in Finland, in Russia, in Sweden and in the US. It might happens a bit higher rate when it hits an area where it is less common such as the US; however, the raw death totals have more to do with the percentage of population effected than location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ranksu

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Saw on Twitter the Cards are close to extending Goldschmidt for 5 years already. That's awesome. My only concern after the trade was that we were going to have a good 2019 with Goldy and Ozuna having big years only to have both guys walk at the end of it. Goldy is the bigger piece, though I would still really like to hang on to Ozuna if at all possible.

Carp
Fowler???
Goldy
Ozuna
Molina
DeJong
Bader
Wong
Pitcher

That's a good lineup if Fowler remembers how to hit again. If he doesn't then sub in O'Neill/Martinez and maybe swap them with Bader or DeJong. Still a lot of right handed hitters though. Probably would want to break them up a bit more. Maybe Goldy goes to the 2 hole, Fowler slides to 5? 6? Eh, whatever. I'm pretty excited about this team. I just hope our pitching holds up. Lot of "potential" in the rotation, but quite a few question marks as well. I wish we could grab a Dallas Keuchel or someone like that, but that would be a huge payroll increase over one year.

Mikolas
Martinez
Flaherty
Wacha
Waino/Gomber/Gant/Hudson/Helsey/Who the hell knows. Pretty decent looking staff on paper but Mikolas is the only guy on that list that I have a lot of confidence in. I don't know that he'll replicate last season's performance, but his pitching style just works. He attacks hitters with good strikes early in the count and puts them away effectively. He'll still be good. Martinez is either an ace or a headcase, Flaherty is crazy talented, but is still learning to pitch with efficiency so he'll only give you 4-5 innings most nights, Wacha's health is always up in the air, and then the rest should be fine for a #5 or reliever role. I hope Hudson earns that spot in camp, but I imagine we'll break camp with him in the bullpen.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
As a Cubs fan, the Cards acquiring Goldy is a nightmare situation for us. You guys will definitely be threats this year, and this season will for sure be exciting to watch play out, especially with the Reds improving as well.

Also congrats on the way better offseason than us lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad