Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
And that generation used their parents' Nintendo and Atari.
And I still play Nintendo 64 anytime I have the chance.

Seriously, there are some video games that will never get old.

If someone can't enjoy original Mario Kart then they're not living life. That's one of the best games of all-time.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I have never been a gamer. My family got a Nintendo when it came out. It wasn’t until college that I got a PlayStation 2. I tried to get into PC gaming when Battlefield 2142 came out but I didn’t stick to it. Now I occasionally play Mario on my sons switch.

My son is really into gaming. Loves his Roblox and fort nite. I don’t have any problems with his use. As long as he does his school work and chores. I ask him everyday if he wants to go outside and practice his shooting or puckhandling. Some days he does, others he doesn’t. Once his fall season starts he knows he will need to take a step away from his devices some.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I have never been a gamer. My family got a Nintendo when it came out. It wasn’t until college that I got a PlayStation 2. I tried to get into PC gaming when Battlefield 2142 came out but I didn’t stick to it. Now I occasionally play Mario on my sons switch.

My son is really into gaming. Loves his Roblox and fort nite. I don’t have any problems with his use. As long as he does his school work and chores. I ask him everyday if he wants to go outside and practice his shooting or puckhandling. Some days he does, others he doesn’t. Once his fall season starts he knows he will need to take a step away from his devices some.
I still have no idea what Roblox is.....both of my kids play it, just looks like a bunch of random stuff but whatever. I'm the same, as long as their schoolwork isnt affected, they can play as much as they like. Both take tae kwon do and do exceptionally well, so they still do "something".

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And nowadays, people can make a legitimate living based off of playing video games, whether through streaming or tournaments.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The Blues posted a questionnaire thing with Vince Dunn the other day and he plays Fortnite a lot too.

It's really not a concern lol.
BURN HIM!!! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!
:laugh:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So time to eat some crow. I reacted very harshly to @Stealth JD when he started the whole Fortnite/gaming discussion. What I didn't realize is that Fortnite and the NHL has been in the mainstream news recently. Supposedly OHL teams are telling prospects to avoid any mentions of Fortnite on social media as some NHL brass view it as a problem-level distraction. In light of this news, his post makes a lot more sense. I already sent a private apology to Stealth. Here are a few links to those, who like me, missed the discussion:

Fortune "Shut Up About Fortnite Already, Hockey Teams Tell Players"
Variety "Pro Hockey Players Told to Stop Talking about Fortnite"
CBSSports " NHL Teams Reportedly Consider Video Game Fortnite a Major Distraction For Players"

There are dozens more articles. I must have been living under a rock (or playing too many video games) the last week. I think that's an overreaction by the teams and stand by my opinion on video games as a hobby. If these prospects being distracted weren't playing games, they'd find something else to distract them. You should analyze a player's work ethic, not what his hobbies are. However, it completely explains Stealth's post, hence my apology.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's the same as media using video games as a reason for violence in the world. It's not the hobby that matters, but how that hobby is prioritized in their life. I do think there is a point to players being private in how they handle their free time because fans can be pretty unreasonable/unrealistic in how players should spend their time. If it was up to fans, players would be working out, training, and watching film 24/7.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
So time to eat some crow. I reacted very harshly to @Stealth JD when he started the whole Fortnite/gaming discussion. What I didn't realize is that Fortnite and the NHL has been in the mainstream news recently. Supposedly OHL teams are telling prospects to avoid any mentions of Fortnite on social media as some NHL brass view it as a problem-level distraction. In light of this news, his post makes a lot more sense. I already sent a private apology to Stealth. Here are a few links to those, who like me, missed the discussion:

Fortune "Shut Up About Fortnite Already, Hockey Teams Tell Players"
Variety "Pro Hockey Players Told to Stop Talking about Fortnite"
CBSSports " NHL Teams Reportedly Consider Video Game Fortnite a Major Distraction For Players"

There are dozens more articles. I must have been living under a rock (or playing too many video games) the last week. I think that's an overreaction by the teams and stand by my opinion on video games as a hobby. If these prospects being distracted weren't playing games, they'd find something else to distract them. You should analyze a player's work ethic, not what his hobbies are. However, it completely explains Stealth's post, hence my apology.

I think it is an overreaction by teams, whether it be NHL, juniors, or even lower. How many times do retired players talk about back in the day getting hammered or doing other stupid shit when on road trips. Hull practically lived at the bar when he wasn't at practice or playing, even met his first wive at the bar in STL he was a frequent flyer at.

The newer generation of players get preached about nutrition and what all they put in their body, so they use video games instead of alcohol and loose women (sometimes) to fight the drain of road trips. If I was a coach I'd much rather worry about my players getting too engrossed in playing video games at the hotel than I would if they were bar hoping and chasing tail. When today's generation of players start to get traded because their gaming lifestyle impacted their hockey, then I will say it needs additional restrictions.

Michelle Sturino interviewed a sports psychologist (or something similar) that consults with the Coyotes and OHL teams. She talked about video games and the opportunities that teammates playing together helps reinforce communication techniques. Its all on how it is handled.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Cards bullpen back to full on dumpster fire mode. Leading by six runs in the ninth and still have to turn to Hicks to finish it off. Super sloppy game but at least the Catds pulled it off this time. Can’t count on 5 homers including a grand slam every night. Have to pitch better.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who play video games? It wasn't normal back in my day,
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who have a smart phone? It wasn't normal back in my day."
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who have a cellphone? It wasn't normal back in my day."
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who use the internet? It wasn't normal back in my day."
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who watch color TV? It wasn't normal back in my day."
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who watch TV? It wasn't normal back in my day."
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who listen to the radio? It wasn't normal back in my day."
etc.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
To me, it represents a generation that doesn't want to grow up. Like TV watching, video games are an escape from the real world.

Watching any form of TV including live sports, playing video games, reading books (any, including non-fiction), reading a newspaper, watching a play, practically any form of entertainment is an escape from reality. That's not a great argument. I've stayed out of this video game debate but as I re-read some of the posts, this definitely stood out to me for some reason. Why even use this in your argument to validate your opinion? So what if younger adults today play video games. My father who is 65 plays video games. He loves old WWII shooters like original Medal of Honor and original Call of Duty. He watches old war movies and is practically addicted to Netflix and Amazon Prime. Guess what else he does, just about everything else an adult should do, per your definition, besides going to a bar and drinking...why, because he views it as "lame". He's rehabbed houses, knows carpentry, plumbing, and electrical, and does lots of his own manual labor. He's passed all of that work ethic and knowledge on to me and I'm extremely grateful so I don't need to hire a handy man or repair man to come fix simple stuff. Wouldn't he fall under your prototypical adult male or the elder Tkachuk's definition of one outside of going to a bar. My point is, the stigma that video games carry is simply carrying on the tradition of one generation thinking the younger generations should top doing "childish" things when they are adults, but they carry those childish traditions with them to adulthood because it's partially what made them who they are. I guarantee there are things your parents or grandparents thought were childish that you did and still do today. If not, then I am wrong and you're one of the few people on the planet who didn't carry anything with them from their childhood.

I'm a gamer too. I don't find nearly the amount of time anymore that I used to devote to it, but I still enjoy it. Just like watching hockey, reading a good book, or spending time with my daughter, playing a video game is a good way for me to forget about my real world issues for a while and relax. I still go to work everyday. Try to better myself in my career, etc.

I understand what you're saying because like I've said, it's a cycle that will continue onto the next generation, etc. Your opinion is your opinion, but you should probably have a better argument then just calling it a refusal to grow up or an escape from the real world, because in one form or another, all entertainment, including hockey, is an escape from the real world or a refusal to grow up.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Depending on where you are staying (and if you have kids with you), I recommend parking in soulard and the bars down there bus people to and from the stadium for free.

BBQ-Pappys, salt and smoke, sugarfire, Bogart's

just wanted to thank everyone for the tips. We had a great time, even though the Cards lost both games. (Daughter in law is a Cubs fan - her fault.)

Anthonino's was everything we hoped for. Ready to go back, actually went for lunch and post game on Saturday night.
Sugar Fire - went to the one out in the burbs, needed AC in the car to survive the heat. Brisket was top in class, jambalaya was really good, even if it was in NOLA.
Parking - West Kiener Lot - that was great.

Buying drinks outside the stadium- LOVED THIS! That guy is a saint.

Arch - nice pictures, wish I had more time to spend in the museum.

DiL wanted donuts on Monday, and found some place in Florissant that was open, and really pretty good. Unlike Krispy Kreme, ate 3 donuts, and actually was full for a few hours.

hope to get next year for Blues and Cards games.

Thank y'all for the tips.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
just wanted to thank everyone for the tips. We had a great time, even though the Cards lost both games. (Daughter in law is a Cubs fan - her fault.)

Anthonino's was everything we hoped for. Ready to go back, actually went for lunch and post game on Saturday night.
Sugar Fire - went to the one out in the burbs, needed AC in the car to survive the heat. Brisket was top in class, jambalaya was really good, even if it was in NOLA.
Parking - West Kiener Lot - that was great.

Buying drinks outside the stadium- LOVED THIS! That guy is a saint.

Arch - nice pictures, wish I had more time to spend in the museum.

DiL wanted donuts on Monday, and found some place in Florissant that was open, and really pretty good. Unlike Krispy Kreme, ate 3 donuts, and actually was full for a few hours.

hope to get next year for Blues and Cards games.

Thank y'all for the tips.
Sounds like old town donuts. I spent many a night there in high school

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who have a smart phone? It wasn't normal back in my day."
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who have a cellphone? It wasn't normal back in my day."
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who use the internet? It wasn't normal back in my day."
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who watch color TV? It wasn't normal back in my day."
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who watch TV? It wasn't normal back in my day."
"Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who listen to the radio? It wasn't normal back in my day."
etc.

Would you not agree that there are activities that are more typical for kids and those which are more typical for adults? Obviously you completely missed the point.

Lots of triggered gamers here looks like. Am I allowed to dislike adults playing video games or not?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Watching any form of TV including live sports, playing video games, reading books (any, including non-fiction), reading a newspaper, watching a play, practically any form of entertainment is an escape from reality. That's not a great argument. I've stayed out of this video game debate but as I re-read some of the posts, this definitely stood out to me for some reason. Why even use this in your argument to validate your opinion? So what if younger adults today play video games. My father who is 65 plays video games. He loves old WWII shooters like original Medal of Honor and original Call of Duty. He watches old war movies and is practically addicted to Netflix and Amazon Prime. Guess what else he does, just about everything else an adult should do, per your definition, besides going to a bar and drinking...why, because he views it as "lame". He's rehabbed houses, knows carpentry, plumbing, and electrical, and does lots of his own manual labor. He's passed all of that work ethic and knowledge on to me and I'm extremely grateful so I don't need to hire a handy man or repair man to come fix simple stuff. Wouldn't he fall under your prototypical adult male or the elder Tkachuk's definition of one outside of going to a bar. My point is, the stigma that video games carry is simply carrying on the tradition of one generation thinking the younger generations should top doing "childish" things when they are adults, but they carry those childish traditions with them to adulthood because it's partially what made them who they are. I guarantee there are things your parents or grandparents thought were childish that you did and still do today. If not, then I am wrong and you're one of the few people on the planet who didn't carry anything with them from their childhood.

I'm a gamer too. I don't find nearly the amount of time anymore that I used to devote to it, but I still enjoy it. Just like watching hockey, reading a good book, or spending time with my daughter, playing a video game is a good way for me to forget about my real world issues for a while and relax. I still go to work everyday. Try to better myself in my career, etc.

I understand what you're saying because like I've said, it's a cycle that will continue onto the next generation, etc. Your opinion is your opinion, but you should probably have a better argument then just calling it a refusal to grow up or an escape from the real world, because in one form or another, all entertainment, including hockey, is an escape from the real world or a refusal to grow up.

Good post. I don't expect everyone to share my opinion, and I get your point. But most people outgrow most of their childhood hobbies for a reason. We don't play with toys (hopefully), we don't play dress-up (well except for Comic-con and the like), and we don't watch Saturday morning cartoons. I guess I just see video games as an extension of toys. I played a ton of Nintendo games back in the day but have absolutely no interest in modern games today. They just don't appeal to me at all. I know games can be insanely addictive, and that's just not how I'd prefer to spend my time. If adults wanna spend an hour or two a week playing games to unwind, go for it. I was more referring to adults who seem obsessed with games, play them all the time, post about them online, etc. That's an interesting perspective about your father, and I can see that. But he is certainly more the exception than the rule, I'd say. Most people do not have such a specific reason to get into games.

Regarding the escapism, I would agree that's what most hobbies are for. But I said before not all hobbies are equally beneficial. Playing sports is more useful than playing EA sports, because you'll get in shape. As far as watching sports goes, it's not as cut and dry. On one hand, it's a shared experience with friends, family, neighbors, etc. Some people connect their lives to their local sports team. On the other hand, I definitely think we worship sports and athletes too much in our society. They are just games, after all. Why should star athletes be put on a higher pedestal than teachers, doctors, and people who actually do good for society? But that's a whole other topic!

And perhaps I shouldn't have said "refusal to grow up." I don't think it's a willful decision by most people to delay growing up. But I definitely see more and more adults in our society acting like kids and that bothers me. People can't deal with differing points of view, they throw tantrums when they don't get their way, and they seem more interested in superficial, unimportant things. Personally I don't like a society where top video game players are celebrated and paid like athletes, but I fully understand that it's not up to me. I'm not telling other people what to do or how to spend their time, I'm just saying I don't get the obsession some adults have with games.

Last edited:

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Good post. I don't expect everyone to share my opinion, and I get your point. But most people outgrow most of their childhood hobbies for a reason. We don't play with toys (hopefully), we don't play dress-up (well except for Comic-con and the like), and we don't watch Saturday morning cartoons. I guess I just see video games as an extension of toys. I played a ton of Nintendo games back in the day but have absolutely no interest in modern games today. They just don't appeal to me at all. I know games can be insanely addictive, and that's just not how I'd prefer to spend my time. If adults wanna spend an hour or two a week playing games to unwind, go for it. I was more referring to adults who seem obsessed with games, play them all the time, post about them online, etc. That's an interesting perspective about your father, and I can see that. But he is certainly more the exception than the rule, I'd say. Most people do not have such a specific reason to get into games.

Regarding the escapism, I would agree that's what most hobbies are for. But I said before not all hobbies are equally beneficial. Playing sports is more useful than playing EA sports, because you'll get in shape. As far as watching sports goes, it's not as cut and dry. On one hand, it's a shared experience with friends, family, neighbors, etc. Some people connect their lives to their local sports team. On the other hand, I definitely think we worship sports and athletes too much in our society. They are just games, after all. Why should star athletes be put on a higher pedestal than teachers, doctors, and people who actually do good for society? But that's a whole other topic!

And perhaps I shouldn't have said "refusal to grow up." I don't think it's a willful decision by most people to delay growing up. But I definitely see more and more adults in our society acting like kids and that bothers me. People can't deal with differing points of view, they throw tantrums when they don't get their way, and they seem more interested in superficial, unimportant things. Personally I don't like a society where top video game players are celebrated and paid like athletes, but I fully understand that it's not up to me. I'm not telling other people what to do or how to spend their time, I'm just saying I don't get the obsession some adults have with games.

As to the bolded, i think that's hypocritical. All it is, is a different kind of competition. It's no different from hockey or chess, just to which degree of physical skills versus mental skills. Top athletes get paid what they do because so few are capable of reaching that level, same for the people who compete at video games. I doubt you're informed about the "E-sports" scene, but quite frequently those players are former athletes who couldn't hack it because of injury or other limitations. Not everyone is gifted with a left arm touched by god, or a family that can afford to pursue hockey, or even being 6 foot tall. We are all here because we like competition to some degree. To automatically dismiss a competition that you know nothing about is close-minded.

As for video games being for kids, how can you say that? They haven't really been around all that long, and certainly not to the degree of complexity that's only existed in the past 20 years.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
As to the bolded, i think that's hypocritical. All it is, is a different kind of competition. It's no different from hockey or chess, just to which degree of physical skills versus mental skills. Top athletes get paid what they do because so few are capable of reaching that level, same for the people who compete at video games. I doubt you're informed about the "E-sports" scene, but quite frequently those players are former athletes who couldn't hack it because of injury or other limitations. Not everyone is gifted with a left arm touched by god, or a family that can afford to pursue hockey, or even being 6 foot tall. We are all here because we like competition to some degree. To automatically dismiss a competition that you know nothing about is close-minded.

As for video games being for kids, how can you say that? They haven't really been around all that long, and certainly not to the degree of complexity that's only existed in the past 20 years.

Well, I admit I don't know much about the E-sports scene and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm not "dismissing" the competition, I'm sure they are all very skilled at their craft and that it must take a lot of practice and determination to become the best in their field, like any other. If enough people will pay money to watch these video game experts perform, then I guess that is all that matters. I don't have to like it or celebrate it, though. I wonder how many young kids today aspire to be "pro" gamers, now that the option is available. I'd prefer the best and brightest young minds to focus on things that might actually bring more to the world than pure entertainment, but that's not up to me. Society is changing all the time, so if we're shifting to a place where someone can make money off E-sports then I guess I have to deal with it.

Re: video games for kids...I went to a lot of arcades when I was a kid, and I saw mostly kids and teenagers. Any 30+ year olds there were likely picking up or dropping off their kids. But I guess some kids who grew up with video games never grew out of them. That's fine, everyone has different interests.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Would you not agree that there are activities that are more typical for kids and those which are more typical for adults? Obviously you completely missed the point.

Lots of triggered gamers here looks like. Am I allowed to dislike adults playing video games or not?
I'm not even a gamer. And the only reason video games are seen as a kids thing is because they just became more prevalent recently and technological advances tend to be picked up by younger people first.

I mean, I'd argue that playing sports are more typical for kids than adults and I don't see you complaining about adults playing hockey.

Of course you're allowed to do whatever you want, but of course other people are allowed to tell you that your position is absurd.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well, I admit I don't know much about the E-sports scene and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm not "dismissing" the competition, I'm sure they are all very skilled at their craft and that it must take a lot of practice and determination to become the best in their field, like any other. If enough people will pay money to watch these video game experts perform, then I guess that is all that matters. I don't have to like it or celebrate it, though. I wonder how many young kids today aspire to be "pro" gamers, now that the option is available. I'd prefer the best and brightest young minds to focus on things that might actually bring more to the world than pure entertainment, but that's not up to me. Society is changing all the time, so if we're shifting to a place where someone can make money off E-sports then I guess I have to deal with it.

Re: video games for kids...I went to a lot of arcades when I was a kid, and I saw mostly kids and teenagers. Any 30+ year olds there were likely picking up or dropping off their kids. But I guess some kids who grew up with video games never grew out of them. That's fine, everyone has different interests.
Most likely because those 30+yr olds didn't grow up with games like the children did. They adopted a hobby as a child and kept it as they grew up. How is that any different then a pro athlete? In another post you said actual sports are more beneficial...true but what happens when you tear your ACL playing beer league sports and miss out on months of work....I wonder how childish you consider that, especially when you factor in the family will suffer because daddy wanted to play a GAME.

What do you consider adult activities?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
bud norris, the dumpster dive signing that is still our closer for some reason

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Most likely because those 30+yr olds didn't grow up with games like the children did. They adopted a hobby as a child and kept it as they grew up. How is that any different then a pro athlete? In another post you said actual sports are more beneficial...true but what happens when you tear your ACL playing beer league sports and miss out on months of work....I wonder how childish you consider that, especially when you factor in the family will suffer because daddy wanted to play a GAME.

What do you consider adult activities?

I get what you're saying, but in previous generations lots of kids played with yo-yos and slinkies. I didn't see adults continuing with those hobbies until adulthood. In prior generations did adults continue reading comic books into adulthood? But I digress. Everyone needs to do what is best for them. If a father is getting older and taking health risks that may affect other aspects of his life, that's his decision. People stop playing intensive sports as they get older too, that's normal. However, there are other healthy activities that older adults can do that involve less risk. I never said all people should play sports all the time, I just pointed out that not all hobbies are equal. Some could be seen as more productive than others, and a lot of that is objective. Parents used to make their kids go outside instead of watching tv or playing Nintendo all day, and they did so for a reason.

Not really interested in continuing this discussion, I've said my opinion and others have said theirs. We don't have to agree on everything. If some people think my point of view is absurd, I'm ok with that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad