Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Is he "into" it or is he obsessed?

Per the Athletic article:

PS:I think (as for his best Bozak story), the guy changes every time. He’s an incredible golfer and then every summer, one summer it’s the summer of fishing. One summer it’s the summer of golfing. This summer its part-golf, father of two kids and is 30-plus years old playing “Fortnite” in the summertime instead of waiting until the season starts.
RC: Is he good at “Fortnite”?
PS: I guess so! I don’t play. But I guess he’s good. I see a lot of Snapchats from his wife where it’s after dinner and he’s playing with his 2-year-old son.

That's the full extent of it. Huge overreaction by Stealth, who seems like a great guy, great poster, but damn thats an overreaction.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Apparently Bozak is into Fortnight, per The Athletic’s interview with Pauly Walnuts...so there’s that. I’d think it would be difficult to have a wife and kids and a full-time job and a video game obsession, so it’s likely nothing to be concerned with. But you’re leaving yourself open to criticism if things start slow and Bozak doesn’t find chemistry with linemates, since that’s now in the back of everyone’s mind. I’d personally stay clear of video gaming if I were a pro, especially after some of the recent headlines/articles painted it as a potential huge distraction for some of the young guys.

Honestly the more guys that can confess to playing video games casually the better. What a stupid thing for the league to have a stigma of in 2018.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
He's probably only playing 5-10 matches max on Fortnite honestly. Which isn't even a lot of time, assuming he probably doesn't make it too far into the match. What ever he has to do to bond with his kids is fine with me.

It could be worse... he could play League..:sarcasm:

Reactions: The Note in MI

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Blues posted a questionnaire thing with Vince Dunn the other day and he plays Fortnite a lot too.

It's really not a concern lol.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Wow. Just wow. Give me a mother ****ing break. The article says he changes up what he likes to do during the summer and this summer it is golf and Fortnite. It does not mention or hint at an obsession in the slightest. If he comes into camp out of shape, then worry. However, the article gives absolutely no reason to worry at all. Bozak is a veteran and to my knowledge nobody has ever said he is a slacker. So why would he suddenly start now? What would a Stealth JD acceptable use of his free time be? Can he read or knit, maybe play tiddly winks? Is that ok? Or should he only ever work-out and sleep?

If I was a pro, I would do what I needed to do to be successful at my job and then spend my free time how I wanted. As an adult and a human being living in a free country, he has that right. If anybody wanted to create bull**** narratives about my hobby, I'd tell them to **** off and go about my business.

Bozak has every right to choose whatever hobby he wants, provided it does not interfere with his other, more important obligations.

However, adults in a free society should have the right to question and mock adults who still play video games! Grow up, people. I have noticed a trend of adults acting like kids in our society and this is just one more example. As I near 40 years old, I have pretty much zero interest in any video games. Maybe someday I will be the outlier. And if I was an adult who still played video games, I probably wouldn't go public with that information. Kind of embarrassing if you ask me. Then again, this is being normalized nowadays.

Btw, did anyone listen to the Spittin' Chiclets podcast with Keith Tkachuk a few weeks back? He made fun of his son Matthew, who was up late playing video games when Dad was visiting. Keith said in his day, guys would be out at the bar, doing guy things, but nowadays guys just stay home and play games. When Keith asked who he was online playing with it was Mike Smith and Brouwer! Sigh, times have changed....

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Honestly the more guys that can confess to playing video games casually the better. What a stupid thing for the league to have a stigma of in 2018.

Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who play video games? It wasn't normal back in my day, which wasn't even long ago. Do you think the old school players of the past would be impressed? What would Gordie Howe think? I already mentioned Tkachuk thinks it's lame. Sure, it doesn't have to be a serious problem or addiction but as an adult I would be embarrassed to talk publicly about my video game hobby. Maybe there was a stigma for a reason.

By the way, not everyone has to agree with my opinion. But I feel I am entitled to believe that it's kind of lame for fathers and husbands to be playing video games in their free time. However, as far as I know being lame is not illegal.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who play video games? It wasn't normal back in my day, which wasn't even long ago. Do you think the old school players of the past would be impressed? What would Gordie Howe think? I already mentioned Tkachuk thinks it's lame. Sure, it doesn't have to be a serious problem or addiction but as an adult I would be embarrassed to talk publicly about my video game hobby. Maybe there was a stigma for a reason.

By the way, not everyone has to agree with my opinion. But I feel I am entitled to believe that it's kind of lame for fathers and husbands to be playing video games in their free time. However, as far as I know being lame is not illegal.
Geez people, relax. I don't even play video games but how is that really any different from watching TV? It's not a bad thing at all.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa

Why stigmatize something that’s fun? It wasn’t long ago that posting on an internet message board would be considered lame, and I’m sure a guy like Gordie Howe wouldn’t approve. One could argue that it’s more manly to do what you want than be worried about how you’re perceived.

I agree with you that we should place more value on face-to-face interaction, but there’s no need to feel shame doing something you enjoy that isn’t causing harm to yourself or others.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Geez people, relax. I don't even play video games but how is that really any different from watching TV? It's not a bad thing at all.

Not bad, but I wouldn't call it good either. Neither is a particularly productive or beneficial hobby. Sure, if someone wants to escape the real world for a little bit, then go for it. Maybe some people do it to relax or unwind. But plenty of people watch too much TV and play too many video games. Most things are fine in moderation, but personally I think both are wastes of time.

However, we've been hearing more and more about video games in recent years. I haven't heard any hockey players talking about their TV-watching habits in interviews. And watching TV has been a socially acceptable hobby for people of all ages, but not until recently have we heard about full-grown adults having a video game hobby. Personally I think our society would be better off if people would switch off the TV and games more often.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Why stigmatize something that’s fun? It wasn’t long ago that posting on an internet message board would be considered lame, and I’m sure a guy like Gordie Howe wouldn’t approve. One could argue that it’s more manly to do what you want than be worried about how you’re perceived.

I agree with you that we should place more value on face-to-face interaction, but there’s no need to feel shame doing something you enjoy that isn’t causing harm to yourself or others.

I believe the stigma comes from adults doing something that has traditionally been reserved for kids. Perhaps games have changed, and there is much more potential for interaction among players. That seems to be the case. Maybe Bozak is only playing games to bond with his kids. I'm not saying the guy should feel ashamed necessarily, but I think some people from the old school think it's strange for grown men to be so into video games. They have the right to feel that way. The stigma develops over time, it's not a snap decision. Also, I can think of many activities that could be classified as "fun" that are stigmatized in our society today.

But at least posting on a message board is sharing ideas, interacting with other people and maybe even learning new information. I don't see them as comparable. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I used to play a ton of video games when I was younger, but for whatever reason they don't interest me any more. I'm just curious why more and more adults never grow out of games like most of us did.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Bozak has every right to choose whatever hobby he wants, provided it does not interfere with his other, more important obligations.

However, adults in a free society should have the right to question and mock adults who still play video games! Grow up, people. I have noticed a trend of adults acting like kids in our society and this is just one more example. As I near 40 years old, I have pretty much zero interest in any video games. Maybe someday I will be the outlier. And if I was an adult who still played video games, I probably wouldn't go public with that information. Kind of embarrassing if you ask me. Then again, this is being normalized nowadays.

Btw, did anyone listen to the Spittin' Chiclets podcast with Keith Tkachuk a few weeks back? He made fun of his son Matthew, who was up late playing video games when Dad was visiting. Keith said in his day, guys would be out at the bar, doing guy things, but nowadays guys just stay home and play games. When Keith asked who he was online playing with it was Mike Smith and Brouwer! Sigh, times have changed....

What's more embarrassing is limiting yourself from doing things you enjoy because of arbitrary rules someone else imposed on you. It's just another way to wind down instead of watching TV or Reading, it's not a big deal.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii

Seems like bullshit to feel arbitrarily superior to people who enjoy different things.

Neither is a particularly productive or beneficial hobby.

Hobbies are, almost by definition, not productive or beneficial. Golf, collecting stamps, drinking beer, not productive. This whole topic is just a generation gap that the league are on the wrong side of.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Seems like bull**** to feel arbitrarily superior to people who enjoy different things.

Hobbies are, almost by definition, not productive or beneficial. Golf, collecting stamps, drinking beer, not productive. This whole topic is just a generation gap that the league are on the wrong side of.

Not sure where I said I'm "superior," but I do have the right to express my opinion. Plenty of hobbies are criticized. Some people don't like hunting, others love it. Some people think drinking is fun, others think it's harmful. Some people love watching TV, while others believe it will rot your brain. And some people think adults playing video games is absurd. Why does my opinion bother you do much?

How would you feel if Bozak still played with He-man toys? You're right about the last part, it's a generation gap, but it's not only the NHL. It's society in general. We're moving to a place where grown men play video games and talk about it in their free time, for better or worse. It is what it is. I'm with Keith Tkachuk on this one.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

That is some absurd shit. Who gives a shit what some old school players that didn't even train or eat properly think about current players hobbies IN THE OFF SEASON.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Not sure where I said I'm "superior," but I do have the right to express my opinion. Plenty of hobbies are criticized. Some people don't like hunting, others love it. Some people think drinking is fun, others think it's harmful. Some people love watching TV, while others believe it will rot your brain. And some people think adults playing video games is absurd. Why does my opinion bother you do much?

How would you feel if Bozak still played with He-man toys? You're right about the last part, it's a generation gap, but it's not only the NHL. It's society in general. We're moving to a place where grown men play video games and talk about it in their free time, for better or worse. It is what it is. I'm with Keith Tkachuk on this one.

My dad is 60 and is one of the hardest working people around. He stills enjoys playing video games. Hey we watch other people play a game on tv. To each their own I suppose.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I play video games by myself and with my 2 children. I also play golf with my friends and with my 2 boys. I'm also a welder so I spend a 1/3 of my day building shit... which tends to be "productive". I've played video games since I was child. Actually its something my father and I spent time bonding over since he worked 60ish hours a week at the hospital, so he was usually worn out when he got home. It's what we did for fun together.

This current middle age generation grew up with quality gaming consoles. So of course it's a hobby they continue into adulthood. Hell I have friends across the country that I've played with since Xbox live went online. We have pretty strong bonds even though we've never met in person.

As for Tkachuk...are you f***ing serious? I did the bar thing as an early 20s guy....then I had a family and decided getting plastered wasnt for the best. It sure the hell wouldnt be an interest of mine if I were a pro athlete. Keith Tkachuk should pay a little more attention when looking down at other(I'm making fun of his fat ass).

Oh...I also hunted throughout my youth, spent about 10yrs drag racing and generally being a hooligan before becoming a father...you know doing "man" stuff.

Now....go sit on the porch and yell at some kids

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

I mean calling someone else’s hobby “lame” and going on and on about how it’s childish kinda makes it seem like you think your hobbies are superior. Video games are now the most popular form of entertainment in the world. I’d bet at least 75% of active NHLers participate in this lame hobby. Why get all uppity about a hobby, which are inherently wastes of time?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I moved the video game conversation since it was big, passionate, and not really about Bozak anymore.

Let's try to keep it respectful, please.

For my part, I play some video games, though my library is very limited. I own Divinity Original Sin 1 Enhanced Edition (and just now bought DOS 2 Definitive Edition), which I play with the wife. I also own Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, and XCOM 2, which I occasionally play by myself, and Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 which I'll only play with the wife and/or kids.

For context, I didn't own or play any video games before late high school and can go weeks between spending any time playing them now, am an avid reader, have a number of active outdoor hobbies, and my wife and I both enjoy a ton of different board/card games, which we play together and with others socially.

For us video games kind of fill that fantasy/creative story building and world exploring niche that many people turn to things like D&D for. You just don't get that in board or card games, and it can be extremely hard to get a regular group together in person or online as adults for something like D&D. Schedules are just too hectic and variable, and the multiple hours it takes to do a session justice is a big time commitment. With a video game, you lose some of the spontaneity and fun you can have in a group of people, but the logistics are far more convenient. When you're in the mood and have some free time, it's there for you right where you left off.

Like many things, it's something that can become an obsession, and thus ultimately unhealthy or counter-productive. It all depends on the person and the context, but I wouldn't automatically think less of anyone who chose to unwind or pass some time that way, regardless of their age.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Someone tell Matthew Tkachuk how much of a loser he is since he doesn’t hangout in bars LIKE A MAN :eyeroll:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I used to play video games but then it turned out I was so bad at all of them that I lost interest.

Reactions: stl76
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad