Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
To me it seems obvious that anything harmful to oneself or others should be avoided. Other than that? Carry on and enjoy! Who am I to say how you should live...unless it’s hurtful to others.

It really comes down to the health, safety and welfare principles.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Per the Athletic article:

That's the full extent of it. Huge overreaction by Stealth, who seems like a great guy, great poster, but damn thats an overreaction.

The only over-reaction here is yours, fyi. I don’t give a **** if he goes clubbing, gambling, drinking, gaming or whatever. I just know he opens himself to unwarranted criticism if he starts slow now that this is out there.

I was tempted to point out in my original post that it wouldnt be me who’ be complaining, and even alluded to he likelihood that it’s probably a non-issue...so please re-read what I wrote before confusing me with those who might actually cling to that excuse and use it against him.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Not sure why there is any negative views towards playing video games. I don't, but I wish I could get back into it. Haven't played since I was in school, and was the likes of Goldeneye on the N64.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The only over-reaction here is yours, fyi. I don’t give a **** if he goes clubbing, gambling, drinking, gaming or whatever. I just know he opens himself to unwarranted criticism if he starts slow now that this is out there.

I was tempted to point out in my original post that it wouldnt be me who’ be complaining, and even alluded to he likelihood that it’s probably a non-issue...so please re-read what I wrote before confusing me with those who might actually cling to that excuse and use it against him.

I apologize if that was your intent. I still think it was an overreaction to even point it out at all, but that's fine. I do not think people need an excuse to lay at a player's feet if they are under performing. Whatever he is doing when not at hockey will be used. Even if he is doing nothing but training, people will find something to blame. I don't know why video games was singled out. He could "go fishing" too much. Or he could choke in the playoffs because he was "too eager to get back to the golf course." If we don't know his hobbies, he will just get labeled as an "independent contractor only in it for the lifestyle", whatever that means. Whether he plays games or doesn't, he needs to be in shape and he needs to perform, otherwise he will open himself up to criticisim.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Bozak has every right to choose whatever hobby he wants, provided it does not interfere with his other, more important obligations.

However, adults in a free society should have the right to question and mock adults who still play video games
! Grow up, people. I have noticed a trend of adults acting like kids in our society and this is just one more example. As I near 40 years old, I have pretty much zero interest in any video games. Maybe someday I will be the outlier. And if I was an adult who still played video games, I probably wouldn't go public with that information. Kind of embarrassing if you ask me. Then again, this is being normalized nowadays.

Btw, did anyone listen to the Spittin' Chiclets podcast with Keith Tkachuk a few weeks back? He made fun of his son Matthew, who was up late playing video games when Dad was visiting. Keith said in his day, guys would be out at the bar, doing guy things, but nowadays guys just stay home and play games. When Keith asked who he was online playing with it was Mike Smith and Brouwer! Sigh, times have changed....

Why shouldn't there be a stigma regarding adults who play video games? It wasn't normal back in my day, which wasn't even long ago. Do you think the old school players of the past would be impressed? What would Gordie Howe think? I already mentioned Tkachuk thinks it's lame. Sure, it doesn't have to be a serious problem or addiction but as an adult I would be embarrassed to talk publicly about my video game hobby. Maybe there was a stigma for a reason.

By the way, not everyone has to agree with my opinion. But I feel I am entitled to believe that it's kind of lame for fathers and husbands to be playing video games in their free time. However, as far as I know being lame is not illegal.

Not bad, but I wouldn't call it good either. Neither is a particularly productive or beneficial hobby. Sure, if someone wants to escape the real world for a little bit, then go for it. Maybe some people do it to relax or unwind. But plenty of people watch too much TV and play too many video games. Most things are fine in moderation, but personally I think both are wastes of time.

However, we've been hearing more and more about video games in recent years. I haven't heard any hockey players talking about their TV-watching habits in interviews. And watching TV has been a socially acceptable hobby for people of all ages, but not until recently have we heard about full-grown adults having a video game hobby. Personally I think our society would be better off if people would switch off the TV and games more often.

So much to get into here (prepare for a long post). First, it should never be acceptable to mock people for being different than you, or even society at large. That is nothing more than school-yard bullying behavior and adults should rise above that. So the fact that you lead with that shows me a lot about your personality. You are advocating bullying someone due to their hobby. I am advocating enjoying your free-time with a hobby that hurts nobody. I am more than happy to be on my side of the fence, so mock all you want. To me, your ridicule will say far more about you than me.

Next, just because people thought a certain way in the past, doesn't mean it was right. People fear what they don't know but change is not necessarily a bad thing. There is a meme that has an old guy with the quote "People get outraged way too easily these days", and underneath says, "In your day, everybody would throw a fit if a black person used the same water fountain as you do." That meme makes a valid point that the older generations were far, far from perfect (so childish of me as an adult discussing a meme, right?). Just because something was a widely held belief in the past, does not make it a correct belief then, or especially now.

Third, I disagree that it is not a particularly beneficial hobby. There are lots of benefits to video game playing. It improves hand-eye coordination and critical thinking. It is useful in keeping the mind sharp. There are games specifically designed to keep the mind from deteriorating as people age. The military used video games to train soldiers on decision making in combat situations. Now they use simulations which are now a lot more in depth and specifically designed for that purpose. Yet it speaks to the ability of games to teach.

Games allow people to socialize with others from around the world. Gamers don't care if those on their fire-team are black, white, gay, straight, Asian, European, whatever, as long as they can play the game well. Speaking of teaming-up, the challenges in many game take precise team-work and strategy. There are tech companies that allow running a clan/guild in a video game as management experience when applying. Studies looking into the link between video games and violence have actually showed an opposite trend, that video games are a good outlet for frustration and aggression and can curtail violence in the real world. Next, its enjoyable to many, and there is nothing wrong with enjoying something. There is benefit to leisure if done in moderation.

Games are an art-form and as such can make statements and tackle difficult issues. Many games make people think about a wide variety of issues. Now plenty of games aren't trying to make a statement or provoke thought, at least not intentionally. But some main stream games and many, many indie games are trying to say something beyond entertainment. There are Indie games that exist solely to make a statement like "That Dragon Cancer" which a real-world couple chronicles the loss of their son to cancer through a game. As well as main stream games that paint interesting worlds that can make you think. Bioshock through a crazy plot-twist makes a very thought-provoking statement about the illusion of free will that I am still pondering to this day. I could go on and on, but I will likely bore you as a non-gamer. The point is that video games much like cinema can be elevated to a art-form (or near art-form). So lumping all games together as silly shoot-em ups is a mistake.

Finally, gamers do a ton for charity. An Overwatch event raised $16M+ for breast cancer. The Games done Quick twitch stream has raised over $15M for doctors without borders and other charities. Humble Bundle is a PC game sales site owned by the same company that owns IGN, the largest gaming site. Humble bundle gives a percentage of every sale to charity and has raised $132M for charity to date. The evil Fortnite game that Bozak played had a tournament recently whose grand prize was a $3M check made out to the charity of the winners choice.

So you obviously have a hobby of watching hockey. What are the benefits to watching hockey that make it so superior to the benefits of gaming I outlined above?

TL;DR: Mocking people is bullying and shouldn't be encouraged at all regardless of the targets hobbies. Past stigmas are not necessarily true. As an example, people in the past were racist. Finally video games have a ton of benefits. How much more beneficial is watching hockey, for example?

Last edited:

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
So much to get into here (prepare for a long post). First, it should never be acceptable to mock people for being different than you, or even society at large. That is nothing more than school-yard bullying behavior and adults should rise above that. So the fact that you lead with that shows me a lot about your personality. You are advocating bullying someone due to their hobby. I am advocating enjoying your free-time with a hobby that hurts nobody. I am more than happy to be on my side of the fence, so mock all you want. To me, your ridicule will say far more about you than me.

Next, just because people thought a certain way in the past, doesn't mean it was right. People fear what they don't know but change is not necessarily a bad thing. There is a meme that has an old guy with the quote "People get outraged way too easily these days", and underneath says, "In your day, everybody would throw a fit if a black person used the same water fountain as you do." That meme makes a valid point that the older generations were far, far from perfect (so childish of me as an adult discussing a meme, right?). Just because something was a widely held belief in the past, does not make it a correct belief then, or especially now.

Third, I disagree that it is not a particularly beneficial hobby. There are lots of benefits to video game playing. It improves hand-eye coordination and critical thinking. It is useful in keeping the mind sharp. There are games specifically designed to keep the mind from deteriorating as people age. The military used video games to train soldiers on decision making in combat situations. Now they use simulations which are now a lot more in depth and specifically designed for that purpose. Yet it speaks to the ability of games to teach.

Games allow people to socialize with others from around the world. Gamers don't care if those on their fire-team are black, white, gay, straight, Asian, European, whatever, as long as they can play the game well. Speaking of teaming-up, the challenges in many game take precise team-work and strategy. There are tech companies that allow running a clan/guild in a video game as management experience. Studies looking into the link between video games and violence have actually showed an opposite trend, that video games are a good outlet for frustration and aggression and can curtail violence in the real world. Next, its enjoyable to many, and there is nothing wrong with enjoying something. There is benefit to leisure if done in moderation.

Games are an art-form and as such can make statements and tackle difficult issues. Many games make people think about a wide variety of issues. Now plenty of games aren't trying to make a statement or provoke thought, at least not intentionally. But some main stream games and many, many indie games are trying to say something beyond entertainment. There are Indie games that exist solely to make a statement like "That Dragon Cancer" which a real-world couple chronicles the loss of their son to cancer through a game. As well as main stream games that paint interesting worlds that can make you think. Bioshock through a crazy plot-twist makes a very thought-provoking statement about the illusion of free will that I am still pondering to this day. I could go on and on, but I will likely bore you as a non-gamer. The point is that video games much like cinema can be elevated to a art-form (or near art-form). So lumping all games together as silly shoot-em ups is a mistake.

Finally, gamers do a ton for charity. An Overwatch event raised $16M+ for breast cancer. The Games done Quick twitch stream has raised over $15M for doctors without borders and other charities. Humble Bundle is a PC game sales site owned by the same company that owns IGN, the largest gaming site. Humble bundle gives a percentage of every sale to charity and has raised $132M for charity to date. The evil Fortnite game that Bozak played had a tournament recently whose grand prize was a $3M check made out to the charity of the winners choice.

So you obviously have a hobby of watching hockey. What are the benefits to watching hockey that make it so superior to the benefits of gaming I outlined above?

TL;DR: Mocking people is bullying and shouldn't be encouraged at all regardless of the targets hobbies. Past stigmas are not necessarily true. As an example, people in the past were racist. Finally video games have a ton of benefits. How much more beneficial is watching hockey, for example?
As someone who's life heavily involves video games in a way for multiple reasons, this is one of my favorite posts lmaoo. Good read.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I used to play video games but then it turned out I was so bad at all of them that I lost interest.
Same here. I wish I was better at them because there’s a lot of really cool looking games out there. Some of the graphics are pretty fascinating.

Anyways, I definitely think video games and even watching TV are beneficial, for the sake of your own mental health. I mean what else are you supposed to do all day? You can’t be outside being active 24/7, you need some time to just sit down and freakin relax. Life isn’t that serious. I think people that frown on things like that are trying too hard and frankly will get burnt out with whatever it is they are doing/suggesting.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I’m a physician. I play video games. I also spend WAY too much time on here and golf forums. Watch a ridiculous amount of hockey. And I have two small children.

It’s possible to be a man and a productive part of society while still playing video games. It takes balance.

There is a lot of animosity in this thread, but the moral of the story is that everyone is different and allowed to use their free time however they see fit. Only once it becomes detrimental to another’s is it something I would get upset about

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Guy in my fantasy football league just took a defense with the second overall pick....
double-take.gif

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Was it at least a good defense?
Jacksonville, so yes, probably. We were joking in the pre-draft chat about choosing a kicker or a defense in the first round. Someone wrote a blatantly obvious joke like "I can't decided on Greg the Leg or JVille's defense in the first round" to which others chimed in with stuff like "I'm going Adrian Peterson first", "If I have all the kickers don't I just automatically win" etc. Stupid shit like that to kill time before the draft started. I guess he took the banter seriously and took the defense second overall. Todd Gurley, JVille Defense, and Le'Veon Bell were the first three picks in our draft. Honestly thought it was a troll and he was going to say something like "I'll throw away my first pick and still win" or something along those lines, but he clearly just didn't know what he was doing. Same guy also took Jimmy G. as the second QB off the board after Rodgers. Super nice guy, but I don't know why you would throw away money(albeit a small amount of only $30) if you have absolutely no idea what you're doing. It's equal parts sad and hilarious. I feel bad for the guy, because like I said he's a super nice guy, but it's a work league and he's almost certainly going to get all kinds of hell tomorrow.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Jacksonville, so yes, probably. We were joking in the pre-draft chat about choosing a kicker or a defense in the first round. Someone wrote a blatantly obvious joke like "I can't decided on Greg the Leg or JVille's defense in the first round" to which others chimed in with stuff like "I'm going Adrian Peterson first", "If I have all the kickers don't I just automatically win" etc. Stupid **** like that to kill time before the draft started. I guess he took the banter seriously and took the defense second overall. Todd Gurley, JVille Defense, and Le'Veon Bell were the first three picks in our draft. Honestly thought it was a troll and he was going to say something like "I'll throw away my first pick and still win" or something along those lines, but he clearly just didn't know what he was doing. Same guy also took Jimmy G. as the second QB off the board after Rodgers. Super nice guy, but I don't know why you would throw away money(albeit a small amount of only $30) if you have absolutely no idea what you're doing. It's equal parts sad and hilarious. I feel bad for the guy, because like I said he's a super nice guy, but it's a work league and he's almost certainly going to get all kinds of hell tomorrow.
Man, wish I had that guy in my league lol. Had my work fantasy draft tonight, we switched from non PPR to full point PPR. Antonio Brown carried me last year and I was in perfect position (6OA) to get him again this year. My team leader, who mind you is the one that relieves me for bathroom breaks (it’s a factory) wanted him sooooo bad but didn’t pick till #8. And then I picked his other favorite player Russell Wilson a few rounds later. He texts me and goes “guess who’s not getting bathroom breaks for a week” :laugh:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Games allow people to socialize with others from around the world. Gamers don't care if those on their fire-team are black, white, gay, straight, Asian, European, whatever, as long as they can play the game well. Speaking of teaming-up, the challenges in many game take precise team-work and strategy. There are tech companies that allow running a clan/guild in a video game as management experience when applying. Studies looking into the link between video games and violence have actually showed an opposite trend, that video games are a good outlet for frustration and aggression and can curtail violence in the real world. Next, its enjoyable to many, and there is nothing wrong with enjoying something. There is benefit to leisure if done in moderation.

Looks like we've got a gamer here folks.

You're taking this way too far. "Mocking" can be interpreted in many ways. On the podcast, Tkachuk mocked his own son for staying up late and playing video games. Does that make Tkachuk a hateful bully? No, it was good-natured ribbing. There is a huge difference from busting someones balls and bullying them. Friends and colleagues "mock" each other all the time. You are taking one word out of context to get up on your soapbox, and you are putting A LOT of words in my mouth. Please do not do that. You say I am advocating bullying? Give me a break. Bullying goes a lot further than anything I was suggesting.

Do I think it's lame that some adults list video games as one of their favorite hobbies? Yes. Do I think they are lesser people because of it? No. Would I bust my friend's balls if he spent too much time playing video games? Absolutely. Does that make me a bad person? I don't think so, and if you do I'd say you are the judgmental one, not me. I will still support Bozak as a player, it won't cause me to dislike the guy. He has a personal interest that I just don't understand. What's the big deal? Is that worth a short essay response from you? I'd say not. I am allowed to have my own opinion about grown men playing video games, and you don't have to agree with it.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
That is some absurd ****. Who gives a **** what some old school players that didn't even train or eat properly think about current players hobbies IN THE OFF SEASON.

I do and probably other people who listen to their podcasts and interviews. I like to hear the perspectives of older players. But just because you don't care, no one else should? Grow up.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I mean calling someone else’s hobby “lame” and going on and on about how it’s childish kinda makes it seem like you think your hobbies are superior. Video games are now the most popular form of entertainment in the world. I’d bet at least 75% of active NHLers participate in this lame hobby. Why get all uppity about a hobby, which are inherently wastes of time?

I might have hobbies you think are "lame," how do you know? Maybe I collect stamps or something like that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about different activities, are they not? And other people are getting way more "uppity" than I am just because they don't like my opinion. If they do it in their free time in moderation, I really don't care. I just think it's a waste of time, like you might think about my theoretical stamp collecting hobby. I don't agree that hobbies "are inherently wastes of time." Some are clearly more beneficial than others. For example, at least some of my stamps might be worth some money someday. Playing soccer will get you into good shape, while playing FIFA '19 will not.

To me, it represents a generation that doesn't want to grow up. Like TV watching, video games are an escape from the real world. Sure, you might improve hand-eye coordination or something like that, but I am sure there are many more beneficial hobbies. In the US, where obesity is rising quickly and people are seemingly getting lazier by the day, I don't really want to encourage kids or adults to play more video games. They used to be a kid's hobby, but now we live in a society where adults too often behave like children. Makes sense. You guys don't have to get triggered every time you meet someone who disagrees with you.

Just because I don't like one of Bozak's hobbies, doesn't mean I dislike the guy. From what I've read he seems like a great guy, husband and father. His Player's Tribune article was fantastic. I just don't get a married man and father who would spend his precious free time playing games. GAME OVER :thumbu:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I might have hobbies you think are "lame," how do you know? Maybe I collect stamps or something like that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about different activities, are they not? And other people are getting way more "uppity" than I am just because they don't like my opinion. If they do it in their free time in moderation, I really don't care. I just think it's a waste of time, like you might think about my theoretical stamp collecting hobby. I don't agree that hobbies "are inherently wastes of time." Some are clearly more beneficial than others. For example, at least some of my stamps might be worth some money someday. Playing soccer will get you into good shape, while playing FIFA '19 will not.

To me, it represents a generation that doesn't want to grow up. Like TV watching, video games are an escape from the real world. Sure, you might improve hand-eye coordination or something like that, but I am sure there are many more beneficial hobbies. In the US, where obesity is rising quickly and people are seemingly getting lazier by the day, I don't really want to encourage kids or adults to play more video games. They used to be a kid's hobby, but now we live in a society where adults too often behave like children. Makes sense. You guys don't have to get triggered every time you meet someone who disagrees with you.

Just because I don't like one of Bozak's hobbies, doesn't mean I dislike the guy. From what I've read he seems like a great guy, husband and father. His Player's Tribune article was fantastic. I just don't get a married man and father who would spend his precious free time playing games. GAME OVER :thumbu:
Just so much stupid in here that it’s difficult to unpack it all. First, you imply there’s no potential benefit to playing video games which is quite obviously untrue. Video games improve logic skills, hand eye coordination, develop social skills, and actually can be used as a revenue source for a small amount of players through tournaments, streaming, and/or videos.

Second, you claim it’s a concern about health when the original conversation started about a professional athlete who is in better shape than you ever will be or have been. He’s missed 5 games total in the last two seasons. I think he’s perfectly healthy enough to afford some down time to play some games.

You’re stuck with this notion that video games are for children when it’s obvious to anyone that’s not the case. Most popular form of entertainment in the world. It’s not just millennial either, even people from your big tough generation play them, and even older than that!

It all boils down to the fact that you’d rather Tyler be out getting smashed with his friends at a bar than home playing video games. Your arguments are that they’re childish(though abandoning your family to drink poison is far more immature IMO), theyre somehow unhealthy(though again that alcohol you’d rather he spend time with is far more unhealthy and actually kills people regularly), and that there is no benefit to playing games which I’ve already shown is flat out wrong.

There’s a difference between disagree with someone’s hobby and outright chastising them for it. You talk about problems in society, one of our biggest is this moronic assertion that “my opinion is just as good as your facts and therefore should be given equal consideration”. Being flat out, objectively wrong is not an opinion. You don’t just get to spew whatever shit you want and then hide behind “it’s just my opinion”. That’s childish.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This board needs Berglund back. Apparently when we don't have our whipping boy, we debate whether adults should play video games or not.

Also rich that people on a message board say that adults should be doing things that are more productive with their lives. There is nothing less productive than spending time on any sort of social media, unless you are making a business out of it. At least own that and don't be a hypocrite about it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Looks like we've got a gamer here folks.

You're taking this way too far. "Mocking" can be interpreted in many ways. On the podcast, Tkachuk mocked his own son for staying up late and playing video games. Does that make Tkachuk a hateful bully? No, it was good-natured ribbing. There is a huge difference from busting someones balls and bullying them. Friends and colleagues "mock" each other all the time. You are taking one word out of context to get up on your soapbox, and you are putting A LOT of words in my mouth. Please do not do that. You say I am advocating bullying? Give me a break. Bullying goes a lot further than anything I was suggesting.

Do I think it's lame that some adults list video games as one of their favorite hobbies? Yes. Do I think they are lesser people because of it? No. Would I bust my friend's balls if he spent too much time playing video games? Absolutely. Does that make me a bad person? I don't think so, and if you do I'd say you are the judgmental one, not me. I will still support Bozak as a player, it won't cause me to dislike the guy. He has a personal interest that I just don't understand. What's the big deal? Is that worth a short essay response from you? I'd say not. I am allowed to have my own opinion about grown men playing video games, and you don't have to agree with it.

1) I have stated multiple times I am a gamer on here. Not hiding it. Good detective work, I guess.

2) Mocking can't be interpreted many ways. The definition always includes an element of malice, derision or scorn.

Dictionary.com definition - to attack or treat with ridicule, contempt, or derision.
Meriam-webster definition - to treat with contempt or ridicule
Oxford definition -Tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.

"Its all in good fun" is the excuse of bullies throughout the world when they are called out on their behavior. However, most of the time it is not fun for the mocked. Now maybe you meant something different than the actual meaning of the word. Maybe Tkachuk did too, or maybe he didn't use that word. I don't know, I didn't hear the interview nor your hypothetical interaction with your gamer friends. But if it was mocking, per the definition, it is not acceptable. Bullying requires additional elements beyond mocking, namely a power-imbalance and repetition. So if a parent repetitively mocks his adult child, it's bullying even if that parent is a hall-of-fame athlete.

3) More fun with definitions. Merriam defines "lame" as "arousing or deserving of oneʼs loathing and disgust". If you think someone is worthy of disgust, how can you not think they are worse than someone who is not worthy of disgust? Maybe be more precise with your words if you don't want to be misunderstood. One benefit of gaming that has not been pointed out is it can improve reading comprehension and vocabulary when you play games with lots of text.

4) Its not up to me to judge whether you are a bad person or not. That is up to your "friend" who you mock in good fun. I don't know you well enough to judge. I do know, I am not particularly interested in being one of your friends. I'd assume the feeling is mutual.

5) Yes, I wrote a lot. I always write a lot. Its kind of my M.O. My "essay" was just shy of 800 words while you have posted well over a thousand on the topic, spread over multiple posts. So if its no big deal, why are you writing an essay and a half on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad