Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I don't quite understand this with Martinez and Carp already on the roster. Maybe move Carp back to 3rd?

I think he can be a sort of platoon option with Gyorko. Their splits perfectly balance, so when Adams is in, and Gyorko is out, Carp moves to 3rd. Martinez continues to rotate in like he does.

We needed more lefty bats on the bench too.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Adams can hit so I'm good with it. Looks like Martinez is pretty much only going to be playing in the outfield from now on. Takes ABs away from O'Neill, but he's still pretty raw. Still have very high hopes for him, but Martinez is the better all around hitter right now and not a total liability in the outfield. I don't expect JMart back next year though.

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
The cards are actually fun to watch right now. It's the exact opposite of Matheny, young kids are allowed to play, most of them better than the veteran option. I haven't been excited to watch games for a few years.

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
Sorry for the double post but Kolten Wong is incredible, that's three plays in the last week that are world class. He's iffy with the bat but I love watching him defensively.

Reactions: stl76

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Wong is getting close to that point Tony LaRussa made about Yadi. Even if he doesn’t get a hit all year you still want him in the lineup because he seems to save a run every night. That play last night was outrageous. Honestly I was annoyed that he even threw the ball because I didn’t think there was a chance in hell of getting him. Damn what a play.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Holy shit Jordan Hicks in the 9th inning tonight. That's how good he can be when he has command of the fastball and the breaking ball. Three backwards K's on the 4, 5, and 6 hitters. 12 pitches. Absolutely embarrassed them. And he's 21 years old. f*** that was impressive.

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
Yeah man, he Greg madduxed two guys with 102 and 103, he needs to throw that slider more, its nasty too. Birds are hot right now, feels like they're never out of it.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Wong is getting close to that point Tony LaRussa made about Yadi. Even if he doesn’t get a hit all year you still want him in the lineup because he seems to save a run every night. That play last night was outrageous. Honestly I was annoyed that he even threw the ball because I didn’t think there was a chance in hell of getting him. Damn what a play.
For those who haven't seen the play:

Unreal.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the cards the past few years but have been following them more closely the past few weeks. Can confirm they are a ton of fun to watch right now and the team is straight up rolling.

That 9th inning from Hicks was nasty. 101, 102, 103 mph strikes with movement...good luck hitting that lol

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yeah man, he Greg madduxed two guys with 102 and 103, he needs to throw that slider more, its nasty too. Birds are hot right now, feels like they're never out of it.

What does it mean to Greg Maddux somebody? It can't be about blowing a pitch by a guy. Greg Maddux never broke 100 mph in his life. He was lucky to break 90 for much of his career. He was all about pinpoint control and movement, not power. He really wasn't even a big strikeout guy, at least not relative to how good of a pitcher he was. He'd strike some guys out but getting guys to hit the ball where he wanted them to was his forte. Just seems like a weird choice of a player to use as a verb given the context, but maybe you meant something else. I have never heard of Greg Maddux'ing someone before this.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Wong can find consistency, he'd be amazing. He's showing how good he can really be, but it also shows how bad offensively he was in the beginning.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What does it mean to Greg Maddux somebody? It can't be about blowing a pitch by a guy. Greg Maddux never broke 100 mph in his life. He was lucky to break 90 for much of his career. He was all about pinpoint control and movement, not power. He really wasn't even a big strikeout guy, at least not relative to how good of a pitcher he was. He'd strike some guys out but getting guys to hit the ball where he wanted them to was his forte. Just seems like a weird choice of a player to use as a verb given the context, but maybe you meant something else. I have never heard of Greg Maddux'ing someone before this.
I think @Veneficus meant that he painted the corners

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
Yeah, back door sinkers to righties. Starts as a ball and breaks into the zone. I was wrong too, he did it to three guys.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
ok.. so help me with OT etiquette... I have a buddy that is asking me to post a youth tryout for him trying to get the word all over the area... ya or nah...

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
ok.. so help me with OT etiquette... I have a buddy that is asking me to post a youth tryout for him trying to get the word all over the area... ya or nah...
Not a mod, but I would think that would be alright.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
We generally don't allow any advertising for things that involves generating a profit or raising money, though exceptions are sometimes made for things specifically cleared by the admins.

Public notices that fall outside that umbrella are typically judged on a case by case basis. The more relevant it is to the community here and the more inclusive it is, the more likely it is to be let go. Something like getting together a pick-up roller hockey game would be fine. Stumping for a select soccer team's tryouts, not so much.

Assuming this is for youth hockey, I'd say no if the tryouts are associated with a for-profit organization (like Affton Americans Hockey or Kirkwood Youth Hockey). The St. Louis AAA Blues are nonprofit, so tryout dates for them would probably be OK, but no notices about any charity auctions, fundraisers, etc.

The tryout dates for a local independent team that isn't looking to make money (i.e. a group of parents getting a team together with a volunteer coach) is probably fine as well. An independent team put together by someone who will make money by running and coaching it would not be fine.

If you have trouble figuring out where your buddy's program fits into those examples, feel free to send me a PM.

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
Had a dream last night that included a really cool knit Blues sweater.
The strange part was that it was a #51 sweater with Twist on the back.

I believe Twist was #18 and no one has ever worn a #51 jersey for the Blues.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
We generally don't allow any advertising for things that involves generating a profit or raising money, though exceptions are sometimes made for things specifically cleared by the admins.

Public notices that fall outside that umbrella are typically judged on a case by case basis. The more relevant it is to the community here and the more inclusive it is, the more likely it is to be let go. Something like getting together a pick-up roller hockey game would be fine. Stumping for a select soccer team's tryouts, not so much.

Assuming this is for youth hockey, I'd say no if the tryouts are associated with a for-profit organization (like Affton Americans Hockey or Kirkwood Youth Hockey). The St. Louis AAA Blues are nonprofit, so tryout dates for them would probably be OK, but no notices about any charity auctions, fundraisers, etc.

The tryout dates for a local independent team that isn't looking to make money (i.e. a group of parents getting a team together with a volunteer coach) is probably fine as well. An independent team put together by someone who will make money by running and coaching it would not be fine.

If you have trouble figuring out where your buddy's program fits into those examples, feel free to send me a PM.

Well I will stand down with this one here.. Since its not hockey its youth baseball and say if anyone is looking for a solid 13U program PM me.. and thanks for the heads up..

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Hey Blues Nation,

I'm making my first trip to St Lou this weekend, going to see a couple of Cards games, Anthonino's for Toasted Ravioli, and the Arch.

1) Best place to park for the games with reasonable parking fees?

2) St Louis BBQ - any places you would recommend?

I know I have another question, but I keep getting work texts .. won't stop!!!

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Depending on where you are staying (and if you have kids with you), I recommend parking in soulard and the bars down there bus people to and from the stadium for free.

BBQ-Pappys, salt and smoke, sugarfire, Bogart's

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Depending on where you are staying (and if you have kids with you), I recommend parking in soulard and the bars down there bus people to and from the stadium for free.

BBQ-Pappys, salt and smoke, sugarfire, Bogart's

Soulard - that sounds pretty good. What time do they shuttle? I want to get to the Saturday game as early as I can - hit the museum, and hopefully catch some batting practice.

BBQ - thanks for the list.

We are staying closer to The Hill and the Cathedral Basilica. Seems like everything is about 15 minutes from there.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Soulard - that sounds pretty good. What time do they shuttle? I want to get to the Saturday game as early as I can - hit the museum, and hopefully catch some batting practice.

We are staying closer to The Hill and the Cathedral Basilica. Seems like everything is about 15 minutes from there.

If push comes to shove I think the parking garage east of BPV (Ball Park Village) is $20 to park at. I’ve never seen this garage full. If you are planning to go early on there is a chance that you may find a spot in BPV, haven’t been to a game lately so I’m not completely sure price wise what that would be. Great place to park though and BPV has a lot of restraints etc places to grab some beer or food before BP

Apologies I can’t help you too much on the BBQ. I’ve always found KC to have better BBQ than us sadly. As for other eateries the Hill is phenomenal for Italian eats.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Holy **** Jordan Hicks in the 9th inning tonight. That's how good he can be when he has command of the fastball and the breaking ball. Three backwards K's on the 4, 5, and 6 hitters. 12 pitches. Absolutely embarrassed them. And he's 21 years old. **** that was impressive.

I’m really hoping this bullpen isn’t reminiscent of the bullpen when Siegrist, Rosey et al were over performing their college/HS projections velocity wise. Mayer’s/Hicks/ all of those young starters look like absolute gems.

I’ve never seen anyone throw 102 mph sinkers. Hell, it was either Boggs or Lyons who made their name with about a 90 mph sinker. Once Hicks learns to pitch and not throw he’s going to be an absolute monster

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
If push comes to shove I think the parking garage east of BPV (Ball Park Village) is $20 to park at. I’ve never seen this garage full. If you are planning to go early on there is a chance that you may find a spot in BPV, haven’t been to a game lately so I’m not completely sure price wise what that would be. Great place to park though and BPV has a lot of restraints etc places to grab some beer or food before BP

Apologies I can’t help you too much on the BBQ. I’ve always found KC to have better BBQ than us sadly. As for other eateries the Hill is phenomenal for Italian eats.

Thanks for the tip. BPV is $35 to park, and I don't mind walking a bit.

BBQ - yeah, KC is another stop on the list. Growing up in New Orleans, BBQ wasn't a concern, but having lived in Bama for 10 years, it is now one of my things I like to try around the country.

But, we have little Italian food in town, so the Hill may get hit twice on this trip. :)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

BBQ - yeah, KC is another stop on the list. Growing up in New Orleans, BBQ wasn't a concern, but having lived in Bama for 10 years, it is now one of my things I like to try around the country.

But, we have little Italian food in town, so the Hill may get hit twice on this trip. :)

The Hill is great, check out Anthonino's, it's my favorite on The Hill. I live in KC now, so if you ever need some recommendations there, let me know, lots of good ones and a variety of different atmosphere's.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

Glad to see another Blues fan in Alabama, I have lived in Southeast Alabama for the past 15 years. Alabama BBQ is so underrated, now when I go back to STL I don't get excited anymore for their BBQ outside of ribs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad