Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Steen is so invisible this season. RIP

Steen riding a 4 game point streak seems like a weird time to make this post.

His assist in the Toronto game was fantastic. He picked up a turnover on the wall and then made a quick, backhand, almost no-look pass directly on Bozak's tape to set up an easy 2 on 0 goal.

His assist in Arizona was a good outlet pass that hit Schwartz in stride, but nothing special.

His assist against the Devils came shorthanded where Steen skated the puck out of our zone, gave it to Barby, ran a nice little pick through the neutral zone to give Barby space, drove the net, was robbed on a 1 timer and then saw Barby bury the weird rebound as chaos ensued.

His assist in Nashville came off him and Schwartz doing a great job to force a turnover in the neutral zone as Nashville was trying to exit with speed, making a good play with his skate to drive a 3 on 2 going the other way and driving the net to screen the goalie after he dished the puck.

The 2nd line has been great for the past several games and Steen has played a big part in that. I don't see how anyone could call him invisible at the moment unless they are just not watching the games. Steen has had a mediocre season by his standards, but this idea that he has been abjectly bad is bizarre. He's producing at just a 36 point pace, but is also posting damn good possession numbers and being utilized in a defensive role (45/55 zone start rate weighted towards the defensive zone). 73% of his points come away from the PP and he is easily among our top 3 penalty killing forwards.

Is he worth the contract at this point in his career? Nope. Is he easily among the Blues best 9 forwards? By a mile and there is an argument to be made that he is the 6th or 7th overall best forward on the team (I have him at #7 with Thomas inching closer and closer to him and likely to overtake him by the end of the year). At worst, he is the 5th best defensive forward on the team.

Last edited:

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
If everyone is healthy how would everyone have the lines at this point? I'd go:

Schenn - ROR - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Bozak - Perron
Steen - Sundqvist - Thomas
Fabbri - Barbashev - Maroon

The top line is pretty much set in stone at this point. I'd honestly rather have MacEachern in and Maroon scratched, but I just don't see that happening. I could see the second line not producing how we'd need it to though if Perron's production drops off since he's coming off injury and no longer with ROR. If that happens Thomas can move up. I see a lot of people move Sundqvist down to the 4th line when making their adjustments, but he has been playing great and does not deserve that at all in my opinion.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
If everyone is healthy how would everyone have the lines at this point? I'd go:

Schenn - ROR - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Bozak - Perron
Steen - Sundqvist - Thomas
Fabbri - Barbashev - Maroon

The top line is pretty much set in stone at this point. I'd honestly rather have MacEachern in and Maroon scratched, but I just don't see that happening. I could see the second line not producing how we'd need it to though if Perron's production drops off since he's coming off injury and no longer with ROR. If that happens Thomas move up. I see a lot of people move Sundqvist down to the 4th line when making their adjustments, but he has been playing great and does not deserve that at all in my opinion.

I agree. Scratch Maroon and put Mc Mac on the 4th line. But like you, I doubt if the Blues scratch Maroon until his lack of speed and lack of production becomes even more obvious. The ability to hold onto the puck along the boards behind your opponent's net but never turn it into a real scoring chance ... that's Maroon's upside so far.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
here is what i want to know

the players are around thousands of people every other day. they are confined inside tiny hotel rooms and airplanes constantly. it is only bound to happen that sooner or later you touch a door knob with germs on it or you sit next to someone who has a cold.

so why the hell are these players not required to get a flu shot?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

the players are around thousands of people every other day. they are confined inside tiny hotel rooms and airplanes constantly. it is only bound to happen that sooner or later you touch a door knob with germs on it or you sit next to someone who has a cold.

I’m sure they do. That doesn’t automatically prevent you from the flu.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I’m sure they do. That doesn’t automatically prevent you from the flu.
Also I don't know what they mean by flu. Most people think flu is a stomach virus but it's actually a respiratory infection. The flu shot protects against the respiratory infection not the stomach infection. So if they actually have a stomach bug then the influenza vaccine would not prevent it. I say this because the flu vaccine was found to be pretty effective this year.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010

I would guess they do but the flu shot isn’t 100% effective. There are many strains and scientists look at trends well in advance of flu season to predict which one to immunize (I think). Throw in that these guys are all over the country and that is a bad recipe. Not to mention ‘flu’ seems to get thrown around in placement of ‘sick’ in the sports world.

Reactions: EastonBlues22

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I doubt the players have influenza. More likely just some other virus which is going around and media are using a colloquialism ‘the flu’ which is imprecise.

If pro sports teams don’t get routine vaccinations they’re idiots.

Reactions: EastonBlues22

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I'd rather have watched the Blues tank and watch the roster someone turned over than mire in mediocrity season after season after season after season......

The Blues have reeled off an incredible run the past month. There's no denying that and who doesn't like watching winning hockey? The problem is I don't see how that's sustainable in the playoffs. The talent on this team just isn't enough to compete with the top tier teams. Honestly, does anyone really think the Blues have even a decent chance of running the tables all the way through the playoffs?? Vegas has them at like 22-1. If anyone really believes there is some really good money to be made :) Turning 1000 into 22000 in 3 months is like winning the Vermillion penny stock.

The ROR trade was incredible. There's just not enough top tier talent on this roster. Maybe this will be the start of another 25 year playoff streak and stuff.

Reactions: brokeu91

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Lineup when healthy

Perron ROR Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Thomas
Steen Bozak Sundquist
Fourth line mix of (Sanford Barbashev Maroon Blais Mac Nolan Fabbri)

I feel next year is going to be difficult to creat a lineup with because we have a slight gap in our players. We have 5 guys who are bonafide top 6 players. But we have several young guys who are top 6 potential but not built for 3rd line minutes. We need to bridge that gap whether it’s with the young guys showing up or by dropping one of our top 6 down to a 3rd line role to help carry the load.

I consider Perron ROR Tarasenko Schwartz Schenn our top 6 players.

Thomas Kyrou Fabbri our young guys with top 6 potential in near future.

Finding a way to mesh those to create a lineup that can be let loose at a 20 16 14 10 distribution is going to be hard.

I propose:

Fabbri ROR Tarasenko
Schenn Thomas Perron
Schwartz Bozak Kyrou
Sanford
Barbashev Sundquist

The bolder are the weak links on each line (in terms of do I want this guy out there with 2 min left in the game) the rest we all trust. And largely why steen is still seeing so many minutes.

Fabbri has yet to show that he is a top line forward again but we know he has average defensive capabilities. We’ve seen him have good chemistry with Tarasenko. I think another off season of training and skating is going to make a huge difference for him. I would like to see him start getting some more games as the season comes to an end. If he is not showing signs that he can be an offensive threat then we go after a top 6 LW this summer and consider moving him out.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'd rather have watched the Blues tank and watch the roster someone turned over than mire in mediocrity season after season after season after season......

The Blues have reeled off an incredible run the past month. There's no denying that and who doesn't like watching winning hockey? The problem is I don't see how that's sustainable in the playoffs. The talent on this team just isn't enough to compete with the top tier teams. Honestly, does anyone really think the Blues have even a decent chance of running the tables all the way through the playoffs?? Vegas has them at like 22-1. If anyone really believes there is some really good money to be made :) Turning 1000 into 22000 in 3 months is like winning the Vermillion penny stock.

The ROR trade was incredible. There's just not enough top tier talent on this roster. Maybe this will be the start of another 25 year playoff streak and stuff.
Not saying we're gonna run the table, but have you seen how Nashville and Winnipeg have been last couple months? If you can get to Conference Finals, anything can happen..

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Not saying we're gonna run the table, but have you seen how Nashville and Winnipeg have been last couple months? If you can get to Conference Finals, anything can happen..

Totally understand and completely have seen crazy things in the playoffs. The year Ottawa was 1 goal away from the Cup they were completely over achievers. Wpg and the Preds also just bolstered their teams when they were already contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad